Days of Future Past "Romeo & Juliet Return?": The Official Jean Grey/Cyclops Debate - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
And of the rumor of the White Phoenix returning? Doesn't seem terribly inconsistent with both what's been seen and heard at this point.

Where has this white Phoenix rumour come from?

She may still be in Logan's head looking like white phoenix

What Is White Phoenix coming from?

My money Is on Famke's appearance In the wolverine Is nightmare early on and hallunications without his healing factor.

I think the rumour came from imdb.

It also just makes sense. When you combine the fact that FOX hasn't at all tried to hide the fact that Famke Janssen is in The Wolverine in some capacity with the other fact that she has a stunt double for DoFP but FOX HAS tried to hide that she is in that movie, its not a huge leap to assume that theres a possibility she will be revived in The Wolverine. I didn't say "Jean Grey will definitely be revived in The Wolverine", just that she might be. And that I hope she is.

Would be one less thing for DoFP to cover.

With the extended trailer, it does seem that Famke's sequences are just hallucinations and nightmares, but from the initial preview footage, it looked like more of a surreal depiction of Jean Grey, which could lend the rumor credence. Just throwing it out there, because I remember reading it somewhere on here.

She will probably appear in a dream lookin like white Phoenix to tell him to keep going and not to give up or something, words that will make wolverine strong again

I don't think she will rise again because I don't think x3 set Phoenix up to be that way, she wasn't the comic Phoenix

I do think her and Scott will be in DOFP fighting sentenals but I think it will be because some time travel thing

And of the rumor of the White Phoenix returning? Doesn't seem terribly inconsistent with both what's been seen and heard at this point.

The Phoenix of the White Crown rumor(s) were started by one fan obsessed with that incarnation of Phoenix.

Evidence points to Jean/Famke having a supporting role (a few scenes I suspect) in the Wolverine as opposed to just a cameo - the director has said that she pops up to mock, comfort, advise Wolverine. Plus, she got her own poster which would be a little odd (unprecedented?) for a cameo.

However, her poster was a shot from the X-3 promo campaign reused, which is a little strange.

Maybe they weren't planning on promoting her role originally, and didn't bother taking new shots. Or they figured her X3 shot was more recognisable.

Now I'm really curious to see how this movie will end

According to the IGN podcast today, Famke will be doing the press junkets for The Wolverine, so it sounds like her role might be fairly significant.

According to the IGN podcast today, Famke will be doing the press junkets for The Wolverine, so it sounds like her role might be fairly significant.

Yeah, I've always suspected it would be more than a cameo. She will also be attending the UK and US premieres for the movie.

However, her poster was a shot from the X-3 promo campaign reused, which is a little strange.

Maybe they weren't planning on promoting her role originally, and didn't bother taking new shots. Or they figured her X3 shot was more recognisable.

They are marketing her in The Wolverine to attract more viewers.

They are marketing her in The Wolverine to attract more viewers.

No offense to Famke, who I love, but its not like marketing her is something thats going to attract XYZ number of additional viewers since shes some major star. They'd be marketing her since shes an important part of the movie. If shes doing the press junkets AND going to all the premieres AND got her own poster, its pretty clear she has a decent sized part. Studios don't shell out the extra cash to bring along irrelevant talent.

No offense to Famke, who I love, but its not like marketing her is something thats going to attract XYZ number of additional viewers since shes some major star. They'd be marketing her since shes an important part of the movie. If shes doing the press junkets AND going to all the premieres AND got her own poster, its pretty clear she has a decent sized part. Studios don't shell out the extra cash to bring along irrelevant talent.

Agreed, but really, they don't have anyone else to bring...Plus, Famke has always done the most interviews of the female cast. Studios latch onto anyone who has some recognition. Plus Famke has already had multiple hits (Taken 2, Hansel & Gretel - combined gross $600 million) and the top billed role in a tv show (Hemlock Grove) within less than a yr.

Yes it will.

All of the characters in these movies are not recognizable to the general audience except for Wolverine and Jean Grey.

Giving Famke Jannsen a solo poster and inviting her to the premiere/press releases aren't really expensive.

Last edited:
one theory I had about cyclops still being alive was that in x3 maybe jean just zapped cyclops into the future accidentally with her unstable powers. After all we never found a body, but that could be chalked up to him being disintegrated like professor x haha

Yes it will.

All of the characters in these movies are not recognizable to the general audience except for Wolverine and Jean Grey.

Giving Famke Jannsen a solo poster and inviting her to the premiere/press releases aren't really expensive.

She'll probably have to do 2 full days of the press junket so it's not like a casual invitation. It's not something an actor like Famke would just jump at the chance of doing.

But also you're ignoring that the previous X-men cameos (Prof X in Wolverine Origins and Wolverine in First Class) were uncredited. Famke's appearance will be credited and she is part of the promotion of the film. So, I am expecting more from Jean than just that one dream sequence.

She'll probably have to do 2 full days of the press junket so it's not like a casual invitation. It's not something an actor like Famke would just jump at the chance of doing.

But also you're ignoring that the previous X-men cameos (Prof X in Wolverine Origins and Wolverine in First Class) were uncredited. Famke's appearance will be credited and she is part of the promotion of the film. So, I am expecting more from Jean than just that one dream sequence.

Agreed.

What the two above me said. And acting like Famke and/or Jean Grey is super recognizable anymore is absurd. The Last Stand came out 7 years ago which may as well be 50 in pop culture.

The fact that they reused a picture from X3 for her character poster in The Wolverine hints that this might be a last minute decision. And Famke did say that she wants to book more jobs/gigs as possible because she needs money and she needs to work. Of course she's not gonna turn down if FOX invites her to the movie premiere/press screenings even if she only has 1 to 3 scenes in the movie.

What the two above me said. And acting like Famke and/or Jean Grey is super recognizable anymore is absurd. The Last Stand came out 7 years ago which may as well be 50 in pop culture.

Well it still helps to have a more recognizable character in this movie.

People who have seen the X-Men original trilogy might watch the movie because it has Jean Grey. They are showing her in the trailers and TV spots and now she has her own poster. Mainstream viewers are not gonna watch this movie because they remember seeing Yukio, Viper and all those characters (except for Wolverine) in the previous movies.

I'm pretty sure she won't have a lot of scenes in the movie. At maximum, she'll have 5 to 7 scenes.

Anyway, in 4 weeks we'll know how big her role is and we'll know who's right.

Last edited:
People who have seen the X-Men original trilogy might watch the movie because it has Jean Grey. They are showing her in the trailers and TV spots and now she has her own poster. Mainstream viewers are not gonna watch this movie because they remember seeing Yukio, Viper and all those characters (except for Wolverine) in the previous movies.

I'm pretty sure she won't have a lot of scenes in the movie. At maximum, she'll have 5 to 7 scenes.

Anyway, in 4 weeks we'll know how big her role is and we'll know who's right.

Oh I wasn't even thinking 5-7 scenes (that would be more than most of the supporting characters like Storm, Iceman, Rogue etc. get in the average X-men movie!). I'm just expecting her to turn up in more than one scene. More than one scene and it's not really a cameo imo. Plus, Jean will have a presence in the film in that her death is one of the reasons Wolverine chooses to become mortal (I'm guessing).

And yes, I believe that the average movie goer who has seen an X-men movie in the past will have some idea of who Jean Grey is. Plus, Famke has had one of her biggest years (2 hit movies and headlining a tv show) ever so she has some visibility so that is probably one of the reasons they would feature her (especially since the rest of the cast besides Jackman & Janssen are complete unknowns to US audiences).

Do you realize that Prof X only appeared in 1 scene in Origins and Wolverine in 1 scene in First Class. Their role was merely a cameo.

With Jean Grey, there are already reports that Jean might show up in the movie more than once, so her role in the movie isn't a cameo but a small role. I just don't think its a supporting role like Yukio, Viper and the characters in the movie.

Do you realize that Prof X only appeared in 1 scene in Origins and Wolverine in 1 scene in First Class. Their role was merely a cameo.

With Jean Grey, there are already reports that Jean might show up in the movie more than once, so her role in the movie isn't a cameo but a small role. I just don't think its a supporting role like Yukio, Viper and the characters in the movie.

Indeed, not to mention her appearances in the trailers, it's almost a full scene they show of her and Logan. There has to be more to it. She has several lines. The cameos from origins and first class certainly didn't have a focus in a trailer quite like this does.

I'm sure there are some surprises and intentional misdirection going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"