Season 2, Episode 3: "The Thing in the Mines" (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Superman & Lois' started by flickchick85, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Slick Yup

Holy **** that fight. Johns intro as Steel was cool too.

2. Slick Yup

Ok Jon I thought you were smart but I guess you still got some growing to do. So Doomsday is an alternate Clark that’s interesting I guess we’ll see where the writers take this but I trust them. Lucy storyline off to an interesting start. Really good episode tho.

3. Snow Queen 4AF (she/her)

Halfway through the episode, Darth started guessing it was an alternate Clark under the outfit. I said Bizarro first but he is trying to tear my victory from me. Alternate Clark is a category, I brought specificity :argh:

4. Slick Yup

Ok I feel dumb for not realizing it was Bizarro lol. I think I was too hyped.

KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  5. Slick Yup

So you guys think Bizarro will try to turn earth into a Bizarro world? He see’s next week that this Clark has a family and he wants that so he wont be alone or something like that. Kinda like Tal-Rho.

6. Gaultheria Registered

Bizarro and Lucy have a sympathetic relationship in the comics. I think that Bizarro will have a vital role in helping Lucy out of the bad situation she’s in, and that she’ll keep him from going full Doomsday on the world.

Slick likes this.
  7. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Favorite ep of the season so far. :up:

Random thought, but is this the first episode (not picking up on a cliffhanger scene) to open with Superman instead of Clark? That was almost jarring to me with how rare it is on this show, lol. Beautiful scene, though. I'll never get tired of those "Superman floating over the Earth" shots, lol. And the flight afterward looked even better than usual too, imo...

...which makes the scene shortly after that of Sam fishing even more hilarious because those Dave Bautista Disney+ commercials look more convincing. :funny: But hey, it just tells me they'd rather spend the money on the actual money shots, and I ain't gonna complain about that!

Ok last week, I hadn't realized that Ally Allston was an actual character from the comics. Thanks to @herolee10 for pointing that out because I didn't remember her name at all from Rucka's run. Interesting use of her here considering she was a Parasite. I wonder if she'll literally become that at some point here or if they're going more for a metaphorical Parasite. I now think it's...possible that the name may actually be coincidental after all, but idk. Still an uncomfortable plot line to do under the circumstances, imo. Side note, the actress who plays her looks really familiar to me and it's driving me nuts, lol.

That Clark/Lois scene on the porch was too pure. I :hrt: them.

The Lana/Sarah scene was lovely, too.

John's mid-air suit-up was awesome. Once again with the action, Gregory Smith proves himself my favorite regular director on the show.

Bizarrooooo! So full disclosure, I've never enjoyed Bizarro much in the comics if I'm being honest (mainly because the Bizarro-speak gets old fast when reading it, lol), but I'm really interested in seeing a proper live-action take on him because A.) every version attempted previously has been either goofy or just a boring "evil replica" (looking at you, Smallville), and B.) I am FASCINATED by what they're doing with the connection between him and Clark. Like, the whole concept of a Bizarro story is about showcasing Superman's empathy - to show him wanting to understand villains everyone else sees as monsters. Bizarro is basically the template for that type of Supes story. So having Clark literally experience Bizarro's thoughts and feelings for himself is a fresh and potentially very exciting way to approach that, imo. And I've gotta say, I'm much more interested in seeing that than just another Doomsday/DoS adaptation. Though...I must add that I'm not ruling out a Doomsday/SuperDoom/Bizarro hybrid story happening that might still lead to some version of Reign of the Supermen at this point, either. Especially since they've got a doppelganger that can keep Tyler working while Clark could be "dead" for a bit. Just sayin', I wouldn't rule it out just yet.

And, apparently I'm seeing elsewhere that people have already discovered if you play back what Bizarro said to Clark in the fight in reverse, it's him yelling "Leave Me Alone!"? That's a really cool way to do the Bizarro-speak if true, imo.

Bizarro, you've come a long way...

[​IMG]

Loving where this is going so far. Biggest curiosity for me is the mystery person the Mine Lady keeps answering to. I feel like they want us to assume it's Lt. Anderson, which, given this show's track record, means it's probably not.

Sithborg, Erik20, Slick and 5 others like this.
  8. Gaultheria Registered

I like how that, coming from Bizarro, means "Help me!"

Perfect Cell and flickchick85 like this.
  9. hopefuldreamer Clark Kent > Superman

Great episode :yay:

Loved Clarks vulnerability and his anxiety about parenting. Loved Sam apologising to Lois (I really like him, I missed him the last two episodes). Loved Clark having to burn his own hands to let the anger out. Loved John Irons suit attaching to him mid jump. Loved the whole fight scene. Loved Lois and Clarks interactions - there's just so much love, respect & understanding there. Loved both Jordan & John's scenes - they are really growing into their respective roles & I feel like we are getting a better sense of who they are.

I'm intruiged by the Lucy/Ally thread. Really curious to see where that goes and how it might intersect. I also like the Lana for Mayor subplot too, it's enjoyable enough.

So so so happy it wasn't actually Doomsday under that suit. I'm honestly just so relieved. Bizzaro isn't my favourite villain but I'm open to it, and I'm enjoying the psychic connection and how that plays out.

Not crazy about Jonathan taking XK, but there's a bit of hope in me that he's just buying it so he can bring it home & let his parents see what's going on... maybe that's denial though :D I'll keep an open mind, see how they handle it. It would be kind of cool to see behind Jonathan's mask of 'I'm always okay'... and it actually does really fit psychologically with the family dynamics (when one child struggles, the other one often becomes the 'good boy/girl' and never let's on they aren't okay... then they let it out in self destructive ways).

Finally, just to say... I love Tyler's portrayal of this character so much. The writing is good, but another actor in the same role would not work this well for me (give Henry Cavill these lines and I still think they'd come out wooden).

This small town, dorky, sometimes slightly naive, sometimes angry, sometimes anxious Clark, who has spent his whole life balancing how he can use his gifts to help people and how he can still have a life of his own - Tyler just wears him like a second skin, you know? It just feels so natural.

In Lois & Clark, it often felt like Dean was a bit awkward in the Superman suit. With Reeve, his Superman was incredible, but his Clark was just a disguise & I kind of hated it. Cavill... for me, as much as I adore the guy personally, neither his Clark or his Superman landed for me.

It's so incredible to be finally watching someone play Clark & Superman and be great at both :hrt:

#34 hopefuldreamer, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  10. flickchick85 Admin of Might

[​IMG]

Sithborg, Lily Adler and Snow Queen like this.
  11. hopefuldreamer Clark Kent > Superman

I hadn't thought about that, but I really like that thought. I hope they do show Clarks empathy this way :yay::hrt:

:hrt::O

Lily Adler and flickchick85 like this.
  12. Perfect Cell I wish you weren't so f***in' awkward, bud

The best part about that scene was how unnecessary it was. We didn't need to actually see him fishing, it added nothing to anything. But they did it, bless their hearts. It looks like it took them 15 minutes to whip up, but they did it.

Snow Queen and flickchick85 like this.
  13. herolee10 No More Miracles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And there goes my chance of not having any nightmares later tonight.:confused:

Sithborg, signalman, Karelia and 3 others like this.
  14. hopefuldreamer Clark Kent > Superman

:funny:

Am I the only one that liked that? I guess I'd been picturing him off fishing and so seeing him was like 'heeeey, there he is!' :funny:

:funny:

Does anyone have know what that pendant is?

Perfect Cell and flickchick85 like this.
  15. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I was wondering that myself. Probably has something to do with wherever he "came through" from.

16. Perfect Cell I wish you weren't so f***in' awkward, bud

I thought it was a reference to that Bizarro #1 sign he wears around his neck. Maybe it's the QR Code version.

17. hopefuldreamer Clark Kent > Superman

Yeah I wondered that too, which also makes me think maybe we could end up with one or more characters visiting that world too.

18. herolee10 No More Miracles

Curious to see if Bizarro will be this season's main villain or if there's someone else that will be used to fill that role. I remember Todd (Producer) saying that this season will have several villains that start off with different agendas that will ultimately converge with each other.

19. flickchick85 Admin of Might

:lmao:

Oooh, that could be fun. I was just catching up on the recent Warworld comics and found myself thinking, "man, hope they get to go to other worlds at some point on S&L." I mean, I adore the Smallville setting but it's fun to have those otherworldly adventures in a Supes story every now and then, too. Even in the Tomasi Rebirth run that this show/setting most resembles, they did have that father/son adventure to the "suicide planet," as well as that family trip to Apokolips which was a delight, lol.

20. hopefuldreamer Clark Kent > Superman

I have a hard time seeing Bizzaro as a final episode showdown villain. I think they are definitely building to something bigger, and it's very exciting :yay:

Also, thanks for the Ally/Parasite info. Another tantalising possibility!

flickchick85 and herolee10 like this.
  21. hopefuldreamer Clark Kent > Superman

Yeah there are so many imaginative things you can explore when you go down that route. I'd love to see it :yay:

flickchick85 likes this.
  22. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

So Bizarro?

23. Gaultheria Registered

You may have been joking about it as a QR code, but it reminds me of the Outdsiders #0 depiction of the Eradicator…

[​IMG]

…which makes me think that S&L’s Bizarro could be Edge’s discarded first attempt at animating the database.

24. Gaultheria Registered

Wild speculation time:

Bizarro #1 didn’t work properly and was buried. Now Bizarro #2, the improved model who thinks he’s the real thing, is starting to break down. The shadowy government organization that tried to clone a subservient Superman is holding the original in a red-lit cell just like Tal’s.

25. flickchick85 Admin of Might