The Flash Season 5: Episode 4 "News Flash"

Well you haven't understood a single word I've said. I've been very specific in saying they don't need to be on EVERY show.

I ask you, why should every single show go out of it's way to include a LGBT character, huh? Tell me that!

Lol oh...I understood. The fact that you have a problem that there are LGBTQ characters on every show speaks for itself.

Why does every show have to go out of it's way to include straight characters? See how ridiculous that sounds?

The fact that you have a problem that there are LGBTQ characters on every show speaks for itself.
Perhaps you could explain what you mean by this, and then further explain what it means that I'm okay with LGBT characters on some shows.

This'll be good. :rolleyes:

Why does every show have to go out of it's way to include straight characters? See how ridiculous that sounds?
That's quite simple; shows have always included straight characters, and mostly continue to do so. The mere fact that shows are changing is to promote and highlight the changes within society which has merits, I'm not against that, but I don't believe it needs to be flashed about everywhere. It's simply unnecessary.

This not what he said, not AT ALL.

Having made those arguments in the past, yes, yes it is. Even if he doesn't realize it yet.

Replace gay in the sentence "not every show should have a gay character" with black, chinese, woman. And you start to see how bad it is.

Also, not everyone watches all the Berlanti shows, so you really should compare them individually.

Agree to disagree as the saying goes.
Anyways , it doesn't prevent me to appreciate this show.
I usually don't comment about this kind of stuff for it is a delicate matter and I'm not comfortable to write or speak about it in a foreign language because what I could write or say could be miss interpreted as I think it is the case with Flash525.

PS : I'm French, I think my English is good but not that good to convey properly and without any ambiguity my point of view on such matters.
Edit : and even in my own language, it is not easy to write about it.

Last edited:
Going back to talking about the show itself, was there a reason why Cisco wasn't present and did he made a "gating" device in a previous episode such as the one Iris used to teleport herself ? I may have missed this detail in previous episode.

Perhaps you could explain what you mean by this, and then further explain what it means that I'm okay with LGBT characters on some shows.

This'll be good. :rolleyes:

That's quite simple; shows have always included straight characters, and mostly continue to do so. The mere fact that shows are changing is to promote and highlight the changes within society which has merits, I'm not against that, but I don't believe it needs to be flashed about everywhere. It's simply unnecessary.

This whole "everywhere" "unnecessary" is the point so its clear that you have a problem with lgbtq people. Why? Because of their sexual oritentation. You appear to think that lgbtq people do not deserve to be seen, they should unicorns, rare creatures . 1 in 10 people are gay . They arent even throwing it in your face, they arent constantly having sex, making out with someone, bringing up their sexuality in every sentence. They are being normal people. And going by your logic, if you arent a straight white male/female, then tv shouldnt be "flashing" us with these different colored people. So unnecessary.

Arrow/Supergirl/Flash/LoT are a UNIVERSE, they are not 1 show. They all are in different cities, 1 travels through time. Why wouldnt we see lgbtq people in these different cities like we see people of color, thats real life. Luckily the lgbtq will continue to exist on the shows and hopefully grow in number. Glad that the big boss of all the shows who is gay is making sure there is inclusion all around.

Having finally seen the episode, I think given the story they are giving Iris and Nora, making Nora gay gives that storyline a more emotional heft.

I am glad I have given the show a second chance after last season. I hope they don't drop the ball.

I think the reason Iris put a meta inhibitor in Nora was because there was either someone human hunting metas or another meta who would've killed Nora if he knew she was one. So Iris hid this from Nora to protect her.

Or maybe it's future Nora who tells Iris to do it and makes her promise never to tell her why, even if Nora ends up hating her. So there's some kind of temporal loop.

Sherlock Wells is still rather annoying and a bit dull.

Why is there a 2 week break?

Having finally seen the episode, I think given the story they are giving Iris and Nora, making Nora gay gives that storyline a more emotional heft.

I am glad I have given the show a second chance after last season. I hope they don't drop the ball.

I honestly don't think that who Nora likes would add or take away anything from her relationship/story-line with Iris.

nevertheless, the funny thing here is that we really don't know if she's a lesbian or bi.lol Hell, I'd laugh if it turns out that she isn't either and that it's another character that the producers were talking about when they said that they were introducing another LGBT character into the show.lol

I think the reason Iris put a meta inhibitor in Nora was because there was either someone human hunting metas or another meta who would've killed Nora if he knew she was one. So Iris hid this from Nora to protect her.

Or maybe it's future Nora who tells Iris to do it and makes her promise never to tell her why, even if Nora ends up hating her. So there's some kind of temporal loop.

Sherlock Wells is still rather annoying and a bit dull.

Why is there a 2 week break?

It could be just about anything, though I like the thought of Nora herself having somehow told her mother to do it. Will be interesting to get the reason why.

And yes, Sherluc Wells has lost his shine. Please, someone get Harry back, with or without his super smarts!

This whole "everywhere" "unnecessary" is the point so its clear that you have a problem with lgbtq people. Why? Because of their sexual oritentation. You appear to think that lgbtq people do not deserve to be seen, they should unicorns, rare creatures.
I don't know whether or not to laugh at you here. If I was against LGBT people, why exactly would I support them being shown at all? Explain that one Sherlock.

They arent even throwing it in your face, they arent constantly having sex, making out with someone, bringing up their sexuality in every sentence. They are being normal people. And going by your logic, if you arent a straight white male/female, then tv shouldnt be "flashing" us with these different colored people. So unnecessary.
Last season (of Legends) Sara was making out with or sleeping with another woman in what seemed like every other episode, so I think you'll find you are mistaken with your claim here.

Arrow/Supergirl/Flash/LoT are a UNIVERSE, they are not 1 show. They all are in different cities, 1 travels through time. Why wouldnt we see lgbtq people in these different cities like we see people of color, thats real life. Luckily the lgbtq will continue to exist on the shows and hopefully grow in number. Glad that the big boss of all the shows who is gay is making sure there is inclusion all around.
I wasn't aware the big boss was himself gay, but that kinda' explains the [obvious] push and promotion.

I honestly don't think that who Nora likes would add or take away anything from her relationship/story-line with Iris.

nevertheless, the funny thing here is that we really don't know if she's a lesbian or bi.lol Hell, I'd laugh if it turns out that she isn't either and that it's another character that the producers were talking about when they said that they were introducing another LGBT character into the show.lol

Yeah I couldn't care if she's gay but it definitely wouldn't add or detract anything from the story either way.

This whole "everywhere" "unnecessary" is the point so its clear that you have a problem with lgbtq people. Why? Because of their sexual oritentation. You appear to think that lgbtq people do not deserve to be seen, they should unicorns, rare creatures . 1 in 10 people are gay . They arent even throwing it in your face, they arent constantly having sex, making out with someone, bringing up their sexuality in every sentence. They are being normal people. And going by your logic, if you arent a straight white male/female, then tv shouldnt be "flashing" us with these different colored people. So unnecessary.

I don't want to speak for him but I don't think this is always the case with people.

Because I think CW can sometimes come off as pandering, ill use the Arrow/Flash kids as an example.

• Nora - Now even though we don't know she's gay or bi yet I found this hilarious mainly for Barry's sheer blissful ignorance of having no idea what's going on (that's every father when they're daughter starts dating right there lol) then the penny dropping made it even better. Plus it felt like it added an extra dimension to the story with Nora being attracted to someone who now is a villain so will it skew her judgement.
  • William - Now I am currently only finished episode 2 so this story may be expanded and change my mind but William telling Roy something about his ex-boyfriend saying he had commitment issues added nothing it honestly felt like it was added by the CW to be like "Hey look we're progressive"
I hope you see what I mean, one felt organic, surprising and even added another potential layer to the story (although they never really expanded on it) and one just felt shoe-horned in.

But back to my review of the episode

Like that we get to see some of the new meta tech right from the get go (although not sure if its just me it kinda felt like they gave up really explaining how she could do it lol). Really interested to see how they expand on this story.

Flash vs. XS fight was pretty cool (however whenever they go back they're all I can think is fight from season 1)

The Dibney/Wells side story was nice, its good to see Ralph being useful to team and I liked that Wells wasn't a tool and didn't claim credit at the end.

I also feel like I owe Chris Klein an apology when I seen he was the villain I was like "Really im supposed to scared of Oz from American Pie?" But man is he doing a great job, can convey such a sense of intimidation with very little dialogue.

However without a doubt the topic that needs to take centre stage is the Iris/Nora revelation. They teased this for the first two episodes and im not gonna lie by about half way Nora was starting to irk me by how cold she was being to Iris and I even thought it was going to go the other way and you see those barriers between them start to break down especially after she calls her mom with affection for the first time but it was not meant to be. The reveal was great as honestly I thought it would have something to do with Iris trying to be controlling after losing Barry but never to that level. Was actually really surprised Barry sided with her at the end of the episode.

News Flash 8/10

Yeah I couldn't care if she's gay but it definitely wouldn't add or detract anything from the story either way.

I don't want to speak for him but I don't think this is always the case with people.

Because I think CW can sometimes come off as pandering, ill use the Arrow/Flash kids as an example.

• Nora - Now even though we don't know she's gay or bi yet I found this hilarious mainly for Barry's sheer blissful ignorance of having no idea what's going on (that's every father when they're daughter starts dating right there lol) then the penny dropping made it even better. Plus it felt like it added an extra dimension to the story with Nora being attracted to someone who now is a villain so will it skew her judgement.
  • William - Now I am currently only finished episode 2 so this story may be expanded and change my mind but William telling Roy something about his ex-boyfriend saying he had commitment issues added nothing it honestly felt like it was added by the CW to be like "Hey look we're progressive"
I hope you see what I mean, one felt organic, surprising and even added another potential layer to the story (although they never really expanded on it) and one just felt shoe-horned in.

Williams whole convo added to his character. It was such a natural conversation that nothing about it was forced on the audience or hit us over the head with it. If he had mentioned a girlfriend, we wouldnt be having this conversation.

I also feel like I owe Chris Klein an apology when I seen he was the villain I was like "Really im supposed to scared of Oz from American Pie?" But man is he doing a great job, can convey such a sense of intimidation with very little dialogue.
I had a similar thought going in. It's not even that I'm scared of him, but I think he's giving a solid performance. I do feel bad for underestimating him too.

Williams whole convo added to his character. It was such a natural conversation that nothing about it was forced on the audience or hit us over the head with it. If he had mentioned a girlfriend, we wouldnt be having this conversation.[/QUOTE]

Yeah we would lol the whole Oliver & Felicity thing has sickened me to death of relationships in the CW, I have wanted to see her killed off for the last two seasons (none of this blame would I put on the actress she's great) & Iris was going very much the same way last season. Unless it feels like its moving the story on I don't really want to hear about their relationships regardless of who it is.

You're trying to compare a main relationship to a blink and you miss it mention of a significant other...no way the same, especially peoples feelings towards them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"