World Should Superman be reinvented?

ad101867

Civilian
Reaction score
I like what Marvel has done with some of their characters, in the various "Ultimate" titles. I like the revamping and some twists and changes and updates. I think the same should be done with Superman.

I think Supes has too many powers and should be "downsized," as it were. I'd ditch the x-ray vision and heat vision, as well as the indestructibility - still an extremely powerful being in comparison to Earthlings, but not so godlike. Make him more vulnerable, which it seems to me can only make storylines more interesting.

About the flying: not sure which way I'd go on that. Originally Supes couldn't fly, just leap really high. I'd be fine with a return to that too, but might also find it interesting if there were some explanation given for his physiology such that it radiated an electromagnetic field or something, enabling him to negate gravity. Mind you, that wouldn't explain how he propels himself through the air.

I realize it's a fantasy, but it would be neat to see somebody do something really different - retain some of the traditional powers, retain the traditional look, but try to ground it in real-world physics too. Sorta like Chris Nolan grounded Batman in a realistic setting, with realistic crimefighting equipment.

Thoughts . . . ?

Andy

In a word, NO.

One of the key points of the Superman character is the unbelievable amount of power he wields (even though he's nowhere near the most powerful character in the DCU these days), partly because it allows him to do all sorts of incredible stuff, but more importantly because it really points out the difference between Superman and Clark Kent. While the other superheroes are men who can become gods, Superman is a god who wants to be a man. Neutering his abilities takes away a crucial part of what makes him unique from all the other superheroes.

If you want to read what Superman would be like if he was just marginally more able than everyone else, read Captain America. Keep Superman 'Super,' not just 'Somewhat Exaggerated Man.'

Downsize Superman?!?!?

He is called the world's greatest superhero for a reason. Or at least has been called that several times. And why would DC downsize him...wasn't he their first superhero? And I am correct DC was before Marvel so he was the first superhero.

*Correct me if I am wrong since I am only human and make mistakes.* :p

I wouldn't downsize superman at all - maybe what you need is to create another super-character? i mean, you just pretty much put superman's signature powers to the axe. Instead, make a different character without the powers you don't like and let superman fly - leaping tall buildings is not what we know him for anymore.

So many superheroes already have super strength + flight + (I am unsure how to state this but...) really good defense(?). So I do not think the answer to this is to make a new superhero...I think the answer to this is to say no to a Superman character re-vamp. :up:

Post-crisis Superman's powers are perfect. It's pre-crisis powers that were a little over the top.

Mr. Socko said:
Post-crisis Superman's powers are perfect. It's pre-crisis powers that were a little over the top.

Like which powers are you referring to.

Spinning Earth on it's axis to go back in time, etc.

Ah...and I recall them doing that in the first Superman movie cause he did not make it in time to save Lois...

Superman had all kinds of wacky powers back in the 40's and 50's.

http://theages.superman.ws/Encyclopaedia/powers.php

He could travel 1000's of times faster than light, enabling him to time travel at will.

"In February 1961, after Mr. Mxyzptlk has loosed a cloud of magic sneezing powder on Metropolis, Superman finds himself forced to give vent to a super-sneeze that literally destroys an entire distant solar system."

Super-Ventriloquism

"In January 1950, Superman ventriloquizes over a considerable distance in order to make a painted image of himself appear to talk and in order to make his voice materialize from a police-car radio.* This technique, which later becomes known as "super-ventriloquism," enables Superman to project his voice over immense distances and yet have his voice heard only by those whom he is directly addressing."

"In September 1947, Superman is described as having a super-instinct that alerts him to the fact that someone is watching him."

"Superman #133 asserts that Superman could consume virtually endless quantities of food, and Action Comics #306 suggests that Superman can perform feats of lovemaking of which an ordinary man would be quite incapable"

"One super-power that has long since been discarded by the chroniclers is Superman's ability, displayed on a number of occasions in the 1940s, to radically alter his facial characteristics and even his size through what was described as "superb muscular control" of his "plastic features"

newmexneon said:
....and Action Comics #306 suggests that Superman can perform feats of lovemaking of which an ordinary man would be quite incapable"

I should totally sue for gimmick infringement. :p

So what powers would he have? You just illiminated pretty much all of them besides super strength.

Superman is fine where he is Post-Crisis. I'm glad they got rid of some of his lamer, ridiculous powers. Superman II had some pretty lame abilities too. Giant cellophane s-shields, multiplication, memory-erasing kisses. They need to just keep with his classic powers (flight, strength, speed, invulnerability, heat/xray vision, breath, and hearing). Oh, and no time-traveling.

newmexneon said:
"In September 1947, Superman is described as having a super-instinct that alerts him to the fact that someone is watching him."
Super-Sense, tingling...

Flame on! said:
Super-Sense, tingling...

Well, technically if he did say that then Spider-Man would be ripping him off greatly :p. Since Supes was created way before he was.

Well I like Superman just the way he is these days, BUT it would be pretty cool to see what other type of story they can create for him.

Katsuro said:
Superman is fine where he is Post-Crisis. I'm glad they got rid of some of his lamer, ridiculous powers. Superman II had some pretty lame abilities too. Giant cellophane s-shields, multiplication, memory-erasing kisses. They need to just keep with his classic powers (flight, strength, speed, invulnerability, heat/xray vision, breath, and hearing). Oh, and no time-traveling.

I think the multiplication affect was something that he could do in the FOS. Like the Fortress created holograms or something... I could be wrong. :confused:

newmexneon said:
"One super-power that has long since been discarded by the chroniclers is Superman's ability, displayed on a number of occasions in the 1940s, to radically alter his facial characteristics and even his size through what was described as "superb muscular control" of his "plastic features"

They should've kept this one. His bone structure and other parts of his physiology are different from earthlings... hell, he's a *****ing alien! Why shouldn't he be able to alter his appearance slightly? This would be a better way to change his appearance between CK/Supes transistions instead of glasses :)

I actually think there are Federal Laws preventing the "reinvention" of Superman or messing too much with his mythology.

I wonder if they include the death penalty among the punishments

Superman79 said:
I actually think there are Federal Laws preventing the "reinvention" of Superman or messing too much with his mythology.

I wonder if they include the death penalty among the punishments
I agree completely.

Now I feel bad for having a Yankees hat on early.

CConn said:
Now I feel bad for having a Yankees hat on early.

and It's ok, I have other Yankee loving friends. I just treat it like a disease that they can't help having ;) :D

Super-fandom supercedes baseball alligences :supes:

Andy C. said:
While the other superheroes are men who can become gods, Superman is a god who wants to be a man. Neutering his abilities takes away a crucial part of what makes him unique from all the other superheroes. . . . Keep Superman 'Super,' not just 'Somewhat Exaggerated Man.'

Well, to be fair (to myself!), I never said make him "somewhat exaggerated"; the phrase I used was: "an extremely powerful being in comparison to Earthlings." He could still be far more powerful than Capt. America; just make Supes a little more believable. For instance, it makes sense that a person from a stronger-gravity world would have that much stronger muscles on Earth; it doesn't make sense that he should have heat vision or x-ray vision; those kinda just came out of left field, it seems to me.

The old-time saying - "faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" - seems to contain all the abilities Supes would need to keep him still-"super." And like I say, if the writers imagined that his body radiates an electromagnetic field or some such thing, there could be a plausible means of defying gravity (and a force field of this type would work for propulsion, too), so he could still fly. I mean, hey, originally it's not as if he was not Superman; why are the more recent interpretations and superpower add-ons better than the original version?

Found this interesting quote at Wikipedia: "As originally conceived and presented in his early stories, Superman's powers were relatively limited, . . . Writers slowly increased his powers over time until, by the Silver Age, he was effectively omnipotent. . . . A series of attempts to reel in the character were made, the most significant being in Byrne's 1986 rewrite, which established several hard limits on his abilities (for instance, surviving a nuclear blast nearly exceeded his invulnerability, and his flights into space were limited by how long he could hold his breath). Inevitably, Superman's powers have grown again since then, with Superman possessing enough strength to hurl mountains and, with effort, stop entire planets in their orbits."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman#Powers_and_abilities

It just seems that when a character has certain limitations, that character is more interesting for storytelling.

Mr. Socko said:
Spinning Earth on it's axis to go back in time, etc.

That is definitely lame. If a guy can do that, then "tragic" events become meaningless because he can just reverse time and make it so those events never happened. And even being overly fast can eliminate a lot of drama. If Supes can circle the globe in a virtual blink of an eye, it would be nothing to save multiple individuals from multiple potential tragedies within a single minute in Metropolis - but where's the drama in that? Where are the hard choices? Where are the limitations and failures?

BrollySupersj said:
Well I like Superman just the way he is these days, BUT it would be pretty cool to see what other type of story they can create for him.

I agree. Maybe there could be an Elseworlds or temporary series in which Superman is just kinda different in some key ways. I mean, hey, not like any reinterpretations have to be permanent.

Superman79 said:
and It's ok, I have other Yankee loving friends. I just treat it like a disease that they can't help having ;) :D

Super-fandom supercedes baseball alligences :supes:

You are just so wrong on both counts.
new-york-yankees.jpg

Just won three straight (with a banged-up lineup) against the team with the best record in baseball. How'd you like 'dem Jays?

KalMart said:
You are just so wrong on both counts.

Just won three straight (with a banged-up lineup) against the team with the best record in baseball. How'd you like 'dem Jays?

HAHA...funny Kal. WHy you gotta cut a brother like that?? :p

And you just watch out, the Bluebirds are DANGEROUS...they really are a legit threat to BOS and NYY.

As for beating the team with the best record...don't get too proud. They ARE the Tigers, you knew they wouldn't last forever. :rolleyes:

But you wanna talk baseball? try this thread:

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219652

We have fans of all kinds hangin around in there. :up:

BTW- June 5-9 get ready for a throwdown in Yankee stadium ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"