The Dark Knight Should the Joker die?

Kill him off in the last movie but make it necessary and inevitable.

:csad: you can't kill the joker. thats like takin peanut butter away from jelly. the end result: a crappy sandwich..

There is no reason why supervillains should die in the movies.

I don't think the Joker should die in TDK and my money is on him staying alive; Nolan is no Burton...

I would love if Heath was contracted to a multi-picture deal and the Joker returned in future sequels.

I don't think the Joker should die in TDK and my money is on him staying alive; Nolan is no Burton...

I would love if Heath was contracted to a multi-picture deal and the Joker returned in future sequels.
Definitely. I love the idea of a recurring villain, like Magneto or, to a lesser extent, Harry/New Goblin.

I like 'this town isn't big enough for the two of us'.

Reading this topic you'd think Burton's the only director to ever kill off a villain in his movies, and that it's some sortof unforgiveable mistake to do so even though villains typically push heroes to that point anyway.

Still, I agree he shouldn't be killed off but I think Burton should be cut some slack because he's criticized at every turn these days, people say he's always wrong and Nolan's always right.

Anyway, what I'd like to see is Joker simply disappearing. No death, no Arkham. Not even so much as a laugh or a Joker card. I'm not too big a fan of cliffhangers unless the movie is one part of a two part story. And ending a movie like this with the villain locked up seems kindof anti-climatic. At the very least I'd hint that Joker isn't dead by mentioning that they never found him, dead or alive.

There is one problem with keeping the Joker alive - or active (not locked up in Arkham) - in the Nolan Batman trilogy. And that is: Batman doesn't need the same villain appearing in every film.

With the X-Men, it makes sense to have Magneto in each film, since he is the Malcolm X to Xavier's Martin Luther King Jr philosophy. They are like yin and yang, competing ideaologies, you know?

And it made sense to have Willem Dafoe continuously haunt Harry Osborne in each Spiderman sequel.

But with Batman, he has so many strong villains, that it wouldn't seem fair to have Heath Ledger sign a multi-film deal and be in every Batman sequel from this point onward.

So we'll wait and see what Nolan has in store for us, but I hope both The Dark Knight and Batman 3 don't make the Joker the star of the show.

I'd love to see the Riddler remade under Nolan's vision. I hate the Joel Shuchmaker (can't spell his last name) version.

Riddler always, to me, was a calculating, brillaint, all-too-serious and obsessed foe - like a Kevin Spacey type, not a zanny whacko scatter-brain like Jim Carrey's interpretation.

I'm thinking that maybe everyone thinks the Joker dies, but Nolan maybe leaves clues to him being alive and then he returns in the third movie. Either that or an idea transcribed from my TDK script (paraphrased of course):

"All of the Arkham inmates attack Batman and leave him near dead for the Joker. The Joker smacks around a little, toys with him, but doesn't kill him. The Joker then struts off into the chaos he has created in the Gotham Streets, leaving Bats bloody and broken."

Basically this would mean Joker is still out there with all the Arkham inmates, giving him a role in the third film without killing him.

There is one problem with keeping the Joker alive - or active (not locked up in Arkham) - in the Nolan Batman trilogy. And that is: Batman doesn't need the same villain appearing in every film.

With the X-Men, it makes sense to have Magneto in each film, since he is the Malcolm X to Xavier's Martin Luther King Jr philosophy. They are like yin and yang, competing ideaologies, you know?

And it made sense to have Willem Dafoe continuously haunt Harry Osborne in each Spiderman sequel.

But with Batman, he has so many strong villains, that it wouldn't seem fair to have Heath Ledger sign a multi-film deal and be in every Batman sequel from this point onward.

So we'll wait and see what Nolan has in store for us, but I hope both The Dark Knight and Batman 3 don't make the Joker the star of the show.

I'd love to see the Riddler remade under Nolan's vision. I hate the Joel Shuchmaker (can't spell his last name) version.

Riddler always, to me, was a calculating, brillaint, all-too-serious and obsessed foe - like a Kevin Spacey type, not a zanny whacko scatter-brain like Jim Carrey's interpretation.
Agreed that Batman has many strong villains, but there is no doubt that Joker is his nemesis, and is definitely the yin to his yang, as you put it. The character is strong enough to feature in more than one movie, and I will be very interested to see what the Nolans do with him for BB3.

They better not kill off the Joker. It would be a huge mistake. That's the one thing I hated about Burton's original film.

I really don't have an interest in seeing The Joker kick the bucket in Nolan's Bat-Trilogy since it's something we've seen happen to The Joker in Burton's first Batman film effort, however if Nolan and company can come up with a satisfying way to kill him off in Nolan's third Batman movie, I wouldnt exactly be completely opposed to the idea. But that's a big "IF".

hannya, I honestly made the "gay" comment in the spirit of the gentlest possible teasing. I am not a homophobe and I am genuinely sorry if you took offense to any reference to prejudice of that nature.

Can we please get away from all of this gay talk and back onto the topic of The Joker forcing Batman into a *****?

Thank you.

Hell no. Dont follow Burtons mistake. Joker is Batmans greatest opponent. Have him locked up in Arkum but deffo not killed.

Besides Joker is responsible for 2 Face's scarring so I guess he makes to the 3rd film but will he survive that?

Kill the Joker and kill Batman too while you're at it.

Let him LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not mess up and kill the Joker agan.

No.

As has been mentioned in the comics...in a weird and twisted way, Batman & Joker NEED each other. They're the yin/yang to one another...

Joker? he needs to live.... you can kill Alfred anyway...

Joker must not die. He is the Lex Luthor to Batman's Superman. The ever-present villain who can (and probably will) go and do something insane just for kicks. He needs to always be there.

The Joker's presence does more than just leave options open for villainy. It keeps Batman on his toes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"