Days of Future Past Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

Agreed, that angered me so much, especially when a lot of promises they made turned out to be completely untrue.

Like everyone involved in a film, they are under contract to promote it, no matter what they might otherwise think. They were the credited writers - their name was on it so they had no real choice but to stand by what was in it. It's usually years later that cast and creators are free to speak the truth about their experiences.

Penn and Kinberg tried to engage with the fans but it all went a bit berserk because they were bombarded with endless stuff about Cyclops and they couldn't really spoil the movie, so they had to answer in a roundabout way.

I don't hold anything against them for that Q&A session. It proved that it's unwise for anyone involved in a film to try to interact that closely with fans. That's why Chris Nolan is off the radar (no emails, no mobile phone, etc), and why Singer said he doesn't look online when making a movie. It's just impossible to take all the fan chatter on board, and that Penn/Kinberg Q&A proved that it can't be done.

Like everyone involved in a film, they are under contract to promote it, no matter what they might otherwise think. They were the credited writers - their name was on it so they had no real choice but to stand by what was in it. It's usually years later that cast and creators are free to speak the truth about their experiences.

Penn and Kinberg tried to engage with the fans but it all went a bit berserk because they were bombarded with endless stuff about Cyclops and they couldn't really spoil the movie, so they had to answer in a roundabout way.

I don't hold anything against them for that Q&A session. It proved that it's unwise for anyone involved in a film to try to interact that closely with fans. That's why Chris Nolan is off the radar (no emails, no mobile phone, etc), and why Singer said he doesn't look online when making a movie. It's just impossible to take all the fan chatter on board, and that Penn/Kinberg Q&A proved that it can't be done.

I have no problem with someone promoting the movie, its their job too, but flat-out lying just isnt acceptable, I remember one specific question put to him was "Will Cyclops use his powers more than once in the movie?" To which he flat out replied "Yes." Stuff like this lead people to believe he was going to show in the final battle and naturally when he didnt people, myself included, were really pissed off. So this was just a flat out lie, and this is just one example of him doing it of which there were many.

They both handled the situation very poorly and it was made even worse afterwards when they continued to answer a few questions and just blamed the studio for the whole thing (though as far as I recall this was more Penn than Kinberg). They should have just said they were unable to answer questions that specific but I guess thats why hindsight is a wonderful thing. Either way, they should have expected a backlash when out-right lying to fans about what they were going to see in the movie.

Sorry I wasn't paying attention to X3 before it hit theatres, what is all this about fanboy baiting around the film?

I have no problem with someone promoting the movie, its their job too, but flat-out lying just isnt acceptable, I remember one specific question put to him was "Will Cyclops use his powers more than once in the movie?" To which he flat out replied "Yes." Stuff like this lead people to believe he was going to show in the final battle and naturally when he didnt people, myself included, were really pissed off. So this was just a flat out lie, and this is just one example of him doing it of which there were many.

In fairness, though, Cyclops did use his powers more than once. The first time he blasted into the lake, then after Jean emerged he opened his eyes and she held back the energy. So they weren't lying, they just weren't specific. And they never once promised Cyke would be back in the final battle - that was just something that fans were clinging to in the belief it would happen.

They both handled the situation very poorly and it was made even worse afterwards when they continued to answer a few questions and just blamed the studio for the whole thing (though as far as I recall this was more Penn than Kinberg). They should have just said they were unable to answer questions that specific but I guess thats why hindsight is a wonderful thing. Either way, they should have expected a backlash when out-right lying to fans about what they were going to see in the movie.

I don't recall them lying. They may have given non-specific answers that fans misinterpeted. I never felt cheated by their answers, i could see they were answering as best as they could.

Sorry I wasn't paying attention to X3 before it hit theatres, what is all this about fanboy baiting around the film?

Kinberg and Penn engaged in a Q&A on an X-Men fan site that no longer exists, answering batches of fan questions every few days or so.

As fans suspected Cyclops would die, because of the leaked script pages, there were a lot of questions demanding answers on that and it became a challenge for them to answer the questions without giving too much away.

Answers were misinterpreted by people desperate to believe that Cyclops would not be killed off and as a result Kinberg and Penn were criticised by fans who felt misled.

Their attempt to engage with fans proved to be a mistake.

In fairness, though, Cyclops did use his powers more than once. The first time he blasted into the lake, then after Jean emerged he opened his eyes and she held back the energy. So they weren't lying, they just weren't specific. And they never once promised Cyke would be back in the final battle - that was just something that fans were clinging to in the belief it would happen.

Sorry, I should have been more specific, the question was actually "Does Cyclops use his powers in more than one scene?" which he didnt in the movie as both of those uses were in the same scene, this is what lead to people speculating that he would be back in the final battle as I remember this specific question and its response being brought up as Kinberg tried to answer questions after the movie had been released also. At that point people also believed that the writers wouldnt falsely lead the fans astray as to whats in the movie, its why there was such outrage once people saw the movie.

I don't recall them lying. They may have given non-specific answers that fans misinterpeted. I never felt cheated by their answers, i could see they were answering as best as they could.

Stuff like the above counts as lying to me, its just like when Rothman said the rough cut of Wolverine that leaked was 10 shorter than the theatrical version, this was a flat out lie, as were some of the answers given by Kinberg and Penn. I understand they didnt want the whole movie spoiled, but questions like the above they should have avoided or said they couldnt answer.

Might also want to remind you kiddos hiring a writer is the cheapest part of the process of movie-making. It's not a sign that a First Class sequel is happening. Best not to jump to conclusions and build up any hopes just yet.

Might also want to remind you kiddos hiring a writer is the cheapest part of the process of movie-making. It's not a sign that a First Class sequel is happening. Best not to jump to conclusions and build up any hopes just yet.

It's only in the early/slow stages at present, and with The Wolverine next to get going, I would imagine it will be a while before First Class 2 gets the studio's full attention.

Singer's finishing Jack The Giant Killer and prepping for Battlestar Galactica and Vaughn has said he wants to adapt two Millar projects, Superior and The Secret Service, so it could be some considerable time before all the planets are aligned for FC2.

^Yeah, I'd say 2014 at the earliest is when we are going to get FC2, its entirely plausible it could be after that if Vaughn and Singer both have other commitments. Either way, i'd rather they took their time with it than rushing it.

to take time with a movie means spend some years on the proyect...

not start in 2013 for a 2014 release.

That's why I think Fox should sign the director (Matthew) and make Singer comes back to start on the script process as soon as posible.

The more time they spend working on the movie, the better the movie will be.

Last edited:
I don't think a director will be confirmed until late 2012, either during filming for The Wolverine or after it's been completed.

It's only in the early/slow stages at present, and with The Wolverine next to get going, I would imagine it will be a while before First Class 2 gets the studio's full attention.

Singer's finishing Jack The Giant Killer and prepping for Battlestar Galactica and Vaughn has said he wants to adapt two Millar projects, Superior and The Secret Service, so it could be some considerable time before all the planets are aligned for FC2.

Singer was prepping for Jack the Giant Killer while X-Men: First Class was in production, so he could produce a FC sequel while in pre-production for Battlestar Galactica.

Vaughn wants to make Superior and The Secret Service but no studios are involved and no scripts exist. A sequel to First Class is ahead of both of them development-wise, plus Vaughn doesn't have to direct them. His production company have bought the movie rights so he'll want to make them eventually, but he could just produce and hire someone else to direct. A FC sequel is more likely to move forward simply because X-Men is a proven franchise. Nobody has heard of Superior or The Secret Service and its unlikely either will make X-Men numbers at the box office.

I don't think a director will be confirmed until late 2012, either during filming for The Wolverine or after it's been completed.

late 2012??

if Fox wants to release it on 2014, they would shoot it on 2013, so no way they will sign the director at the end of 2012.

Matthew and Singer wants more time to develop the sequel.... so they HAVE to be signed in the next months.

I expected hyperbole. Glad to see cooler heads are prevailing for the most part.

X-MEN: THE LAST STAND was written by Simon Kinerg and Zak Penn. Kinberg by himself is pretty solid. X-MEN: SECOND CLASS will give him an opportunity to prove naysayers wrong.

I suspect in a few years, people will be talking about Kinberg the way they talk about David Goyer. Solid superhero work, with occassional flashes of brilliance. FIRST CLASS was good, but not THAT well written, and I don't expect much of a drop off in quality.

This

Also kinda pisses me off to hear after hearing months and months of belly-aching about no First Sequel sequel, the first sign that one might happen and people are automatically belly-aching because they don't like the writer.

Can't have it both ways, children.

late 2012??

if Fox wants to release it on 2014, they would shoot it on 2013, so no way they will sign the director at the end of 2012.

Matthew and Singer wants more time to develop the sequel.... so they HAVE to be signed in the next months.
I didn't mean 'late 2012' as in November or December, more like September, maybe October at the latest. That would be more than enough time for pre-production if FC2 begins filming in spring/summer 2013. July or August are also possible, but really it all depends on Singer's or Vaughn's schedules. If Singer decides he wants to direct FC2, then Jack the Giant-Killer releases on June 15, so after that he'd probably be free to do FC2.

Last edited:
Also kinda pisses me off to hear after hearing months and months of belly-aching about no First Sequel sequel, the first sign that one might happen and people are automatically belly-aching because they don't like the writer.

Can't have it both ways, children.

Weren't you saying that a First Class sequel wouldn't happen a few months back?

Weren't you saying that a First Class sequel wouldn't happen a few months back?

I still don't think there's going to be one. Hiring a writer doesn't mean anything definitive on its chances.

^I think they have to do some sort of X-Men movie to keep hold of the rights and I dont think Wolverine solo movies count, I could be wrong, but if Wolverine movies do count they really didnt need to make First Class.

Hugh Jackman could hang up the claws after The Wolverine so Fox will need to continue the franchise somehow. X-Men: First Class was a financial and critical success, so it'd be stupid not to make a sequel.

Fox hiring Kinberg to write the script shows Fox intends to make a sequel. That doesn't mean it will happen (X-Men Origins: Magneto, for example), but it's likely that it will if all the stars align. Casting isn't an issue as they're all locked, it's just getting Vaughn back between now and 2013 (if they're planning a 2014 release). I get the feeling Vaughn is already involved with the next film unofficially.

Last edited:
I get the feeling Vaughn is already involved with the next film unofficially.

My instincts say he isn't. I guess because there is more evidence to say he is not, than is.
eg No other writers like Singer, Vaughn or Jane Goldman being mentioned as even brainstorming a story idea for the screenplay.

Just because SHH didn't mention it in their article doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I doubt Kinberg would start writing the script without talking to the producers (Singer/Donner) beforehand. Jason Flemyng wouldn't have known a script was being written if Vaughn hadn't told him.

On the Blu-ray features Kinberg said he emailed Vaughn to see if he wanted to direct X:FC, so they've probably communicated at some point between the films release and now. If Vaughn is still interested in directing the sequel (as he was back in June) then he'll want to be involved in some capacity.

Last edited:
Just a gut feeling, but I don't think he is involved in any degree at this point in time, and if he does get involved, it won't be for quite a while.

Hugh Jackman could hang up the claws after The Wolverine so Fox will need to continue the franchise somehow. X-Men: First Class was a financial and critical success, so it'd be stupid not to make a sequel.

I'm thinking this will likely be his last Wolverine film too. When I saw his one-man show on Broadway last week, he referred to The Wolverine as "Wolverine 16". :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"