Days of Future Past Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

I'm thinking this will likely be his last Wolverine film too. When I saw his one-man show on Broadway last week, he referred to The Wolverine as "Wolverine 16". :funny:

I think he will do a trilogy of Wolverine films, he is very attached to the character.
He holds the record for number of times appearing as the same superhero on film.

the scoreboard reads...

Jackman/Wolverine - 5 (with The Wolverine pending for 6)
Stewart/Xavier - 4/Chris Reeve/Supes - 4
RDJ/Iron-Man - 3(with Avengers pending for 4)

hell, i bet he'd do further X-Men films too if they were being planned.

I still don't think there's going to be one. Hiring a writer doesn't mean anything definitive on its chances.
I don't think that there is going to be one either...I could be wrong but those are just my feelings.

I don't like jumping to conclusions, but the fact that he wrote X3 has me a tad worried. I liked Sherlock Holmes, but I don't think he's right for the X-men universe.
He did well on Sherlock Holmes so I have no doubt he can deliver a good First Class sequel. I think people here have a natural aversion to X3: The Last Stand so we're all sitting on the edge of our seats. Had he written 2012 or another underwhelming action movie not featuring X-Men I think we'd all be less worried.

Let me play Devil's Advocate though. Wasn't he publically apologetic to X3? Didn't he even disagree with killing Cyclops? Maybe this is all a good thing. Perhaps him knowing very personally the bad response to X3 will make him work really hard to deliver a quality X-Men film. Maybe he'll even try to make up for shafting Cyclops, possibly through Havok. Explore some Summers' family history. As I say, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. First Class definitely allows them to redo or retool things we weren't wild about in the last film(s).

yeah, this is a great oportunity for him.

so I hope he doesnt dissapoint this time. specially, lets hope the studio doesnt push him to include things he doesnt want to

I hope Vaughn isn't scared off by the sex scandal that occurred during the filming of XFC.

Matthew Vaughn, if you're reading this, please come back and direct the sequel!

I hope Vaughn isn't scared off by the sex scandal that occurred during the filming of XFC.

Sex scandal? This is the first I've heard of it. If this is re: January Jones, I have a feeling she's keeping mum on the dad (har har) because there WAS no dad (AI).

Didn't he even disagree with killing Cyclops?
Did he disagree about killing Charles as well?
Or probably he also believed that Charles Xavier was a boring character who happened to be just a cripple and a teacher. :dry:
Not very hopeful for this sequel. :csad:

I don't think that there is going to be one either...I could be wrong but those are just my feelings.

I think studios are being a bit more bold with making sequels to movies that werent that successful now-a-days. I think its because of the economic climate they would rather make a sequel to something mildly successful than an original piece which could fail completely. The fact that we are getting sequels to G.I Joe, Ghost Rider and Chronicles Of Riddick shows this IMO, and FC was more successful than all of these movies.

Sex scandal? You mean the purpose of directing a big summer blockbuster isn't to bang all the hot actresses you cast?

Did he disagree about killing Charles as well?
Or probably he also believed that Charles Xavier was a boring character who happened to be just a cripple and a teacher. :dry:
Not very hopeful for this sequel. :csad:
From what I remember it was very studio driven, but I remember them saying something about not approving the film's general direction. Kinberg's done good movies and he was involved in X-Men: First Class as a producer. I mean honestly Jumper, Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith is not a bad resume. Even X-Men 3: The Last Stand wasn't horrible if you forgive the wanton disregard for Cyclops, Xavier, Rogue and others - it, as an action movie, was above average. It had phenomenal set pieces, and the pacing was good. So really all in all cut the guy some slack, he's clearly a decent writer. The more I think about his role in X3 the more I feel he's probably the one that kept it from being another Catwoman.

Let's look at the things he did well in that movie. For one in X3 he balanced the characters he used well, and did a great job of displaying all their powers. He also wrote a great Magneto in X3, really much better than X1. Let's be honest here; Xavier won't die in the next XFC, there is a chance at redoing Cyclops or expanding the Summers clan in some way, and Kinberg really does seem to be a fan. I simply just don't doubt him unless Vaughn jumps ship and they get some god awful director to replace him.

Sex scandal? This is the first I've heard of it. If this is re: January Jones, I have a feeling she's keeping mum on the dad (har har) because there WAS no dad (AI).

Yeah, that's what I meant by sex scandal. I doubt Jones's kid came from AI, either, since it's not so controversial that one couldn't admit it. Certainly it would have been better to let the public believe that she'd gotten AI rather than that she'd slept with her married director.

PS, when you said AI, my mind went straight to the Spielberg movie and I thought you meant that the big secret was that Jones's kid was an android. :hehe:

Sex scandal? You mean the purpose of directing a big summer blockbuster isn't to bang all the hot actresses you cast?

I'm sure many directors would like it to be.

I think studios are being a bit more bold with making sequels to movies that werent that successful now-a-days. I think its because of the economic climate they would rather make a sequel to something mildly successful than an original piece which could fail completely. The fact that we are getting sequels to G.I Joe, Ghost Rider and Chronicles Of Riddick shows this IMO, and FC was more successful than all of these movies.

you made a point.

Studios are preffering sequels to "old" franchises than new franchises.

Yeah, that's what I meant by sex scandal. I doubt Jones's kid came from AI, either, since it's not so controversial that one couldn't admit it. Certainly it would have been better to let the public believe that she'd gotten AI rather than that she'd slept with her married director.

PS, when you said AI, my mind went straight to the Spielberg movie and I thought you meant that the big secret was that Jones's kid was an android. :hehe:

I'm sure many directors would like it to be.

You have a point. Plus it'd be pretty random if she decided to go for AI mid-filming. Well in a few years those who still care can start drawing physical comparisons between the potentials. By the time the kid is old enough for that the whole XMFC trilogy will probably be done so I'm not too worried about a scandal even if Vaughn is the father. Actually come to think of it it'd make sense if they were involved. That's the only reason I can think of that she'd be hired for the role. I've never seen her in anything else so I'm not sure, but every moment she was onscreen she made it seem like she'd rather be off having a root canal than playing the character.

Also I also thought of A.I. when I typed it! haha. I actually had to google it to see if there was another acronym like AIS or something but nope. Secretly I hope the kid is also a cyborg though, that would be so badass. :D

January Jones is very good in Mad Men, but I think her somewhat delicate manner of speaking was not too suited for EF.
Like, in that scene where she cuts the circle of glass and addresses the agents, that delivery needed a little more 'evil' in there, the way it was delivered was more like she was doing a scene from MM where she was putting another woman down as they crossed trolleys in the supermarket.
Maybe you could say it was underplayed, but i think that was the best she could do with it, and it needed a little more oomph.
I didn't mind her performance though, it didn't annoy me and she had great screen presence of the type that EF should have.

and I forgot all about that sex scandal rumour thingmajig, man, if that does not get resolved once and for all in regards to who the father of the baby is, that could be a real deterrent to MV coming back. because of course, people will wonder why she is not revealing who the father of the baby is.

Last edited:
January Jones is very good in Mad Men, but I think her somewhat delicate manner of speaking was not too suited for EF.
Like, in that scene where she cuts the circle of glass and addresses the agents, that delivery needed a little more 'evil' in there, the way it was delivered was more like she was doing a scene from MM where she was putting another woman down as they crossed trolleys in the supermarket.
Maybe you could say it was underplayed, but i think that was the best she could do with it, and it needed a little more oomph.
I didn't mind her performance though, it didn't annoy me and she had great screen presence of the type that EF should have.

and I forgot all about that sex scandal rumour thingmajig, man, if that does not get resolved once and for all in regards to who the father of the baby is, that could be a real deterrent to MV coming back. because of course, people will wonder why she is not revealing who the father of the baby is.

I don't know that it needs to be resolved, I think people should just leave her be. She's made it clear she's not telling, and that's that. It could be a scandal, or it could be something much more innocuous. Maybe she just had a totally legit one night stand, she got pregnant from it, but she decided that she didn't want whoever she had the ONS with to take on a father role. If it came out for example that Fassbender was the father, there would be huge media pressure for him to take up responsibility for the kid, even if he and JJ had discussed it and she had made clear that she would rather he not get involved. And if it came out that the kid was the result of a one-night stand, that kid would never live it down.

I don't know, as much as I don't like JJ I'm sure she has her reasons for not naming the father and I think she deserves privacy on the matter. Revealing who the father was would probably only hurt the careers of those involved at this point, so best to leave it.

Fassbender thinks that the next movie should focus more on Charles Xavier...I wholeheartedly agree. :yay::up:

Collider

Fassbender thinks that the next movie should focus more on Charles Xavier...I wholeheartedly agree. :yay::up:

Collider

Hear hear! Magneto still needs attention tho and with Fassy probs up for an Oscar nom this year the studio will probably want to keep the line Magneto-centric. :/

We need more on CHARLES though! His whole life just changed in unimaginable ways, and I'm not just talking about his beach divorce.

We need more on CHARLES though!
Yes, please! :highfive:

His whole life just changed in unimaginable ways, and I'm not just talking about his beach divorce.
Exactly. I see Charles as a whole different person in the sequel - more mature, much less carefree, and somehow trying to balance his eternal optimism with the darkness, after all that happened to him in the end of FC.
It would be really great if they could show at least one scene of young Charles discovering his powers and how they affected him...I was so annoyed we never see it happening in a movie that was set to show his origins too, after all.

But it worries me greatly that everyone involved will insist in making Magneto the center of attention once again, especially with Kinberg writing. And if Vaughn is directing I won't have any hopes that we'll have a story more focused on Charles. He'll keep on favoring his Bondneto. :csad:

Yes, please! :highfive:

Exactly. I see Charles as a whole different person in the sequel - more mature, much less carefree, and somehow trying to balance his eternal optimism with the darkness, after all that happened to him in the end of FC.
It would be really great if they could show at least one scene of young Charles discovering his powers and how they affected him...I was so annoyed we never see it happening in a movie that was set to show his origins too, after all.

But it worries me greatly that everyone involved will insist in making Magneto the center of attention once again, especially with Kinberg writing. And if Vaughn is directing I won't have any hopes that we'll have a story more focused on Charles. He'll keep on favoring his Bondneto. :csad:

I don't think it will be Bondneto in the sequel. Angstneto is more like it, especially after he learns the extent of the stray bullet damage (honestly if they never made a full sequel and just made the scene of where Charles and Erik meet again for the first time after Cuba I would be 1000% satisfied). And I am totally cool with that. I think both men should be given ample screen time.

I'm not quite sure how they could go back to Charles as a kid though. The actor who played him will be a teenager by the time they get around to filming this thing, and unlike kid Erik it'd be hard to suspend disbelief with a new actor. Especially because it's the very first time we meet Charles AND Raven and everything about that scene is so important that it's really hard to disassociate that kid actor with kidCharles. Does that make sense? I'm not good at being succinct.

What WOULD be an interesting thing isn't kidCharles, but young teenager Charles as he discovers his powers. The only thing we can see kidCharles do is communicate telepathically. Everything else is just observational (he could have read Raven's mind to learn she wasn't his mom, instead he only figures it out because his "mom" was nice to him). What if at that point he could only communicate telepathically? And the ability to read minds didn't come until later? It might be neat to have teenaged Charles go through that, with Raven there to back him up. It'd be a cool opportunity to show the age difference too, which Charles starting to grow much older than Raven. They could draw parallels too with Erik as a teenager, what he was doing after he was released from the camps. Did he take time to try and lead a normal life or did he go straight to Nazi hunting?

I don't know, there is so bloody much they could do with a sequel as long as they don't let it be X3. But fingers crossed Vaughn is returning and all my worries will be washed away. :)

Teen Charles would be great. Maybe showing when he, inadvertently, harmed someone using his powers? And how, because of that, he learned the importance of control and "with great power comes great responsabilty", which would shape the future Professor X.
Also in a parallel, the first time teen Erik used his power to purposely harm someone (because in FC it was more like an aimless explosion) and how we begin to see the differences between Charles and Erik shaping.

The only thing I worry about Vaughn returning is that he'll continue to ignore the many interesting aspects of Charles and his power. I never read an interview in which he had at least one nice word to say about Charles, or in which he showed a small fraction of interest in the character. I really don't think this will change, frankly. :dry:

Teen Charles would be great. Maybe showing when he, inadvertently, harmed someone using his powers? And how, because of that, he learned the importance of control and "with great power comes great responsabilty", which would shape the future Professor X.
Also in a parallel, the first time teen Erik used his power to purposely harm someone (because in FC it was more like an aimless explosion) and how we begin to see the differences between Charles and Erik shaping.

The only thing I worry about Vaughn returning is that he'll continue to ignore the many interesting aspects of Charles and his power. I never read an interview in which he had at least one nice word to say about Charles, or in which he showed a small fraction of interest in the character. I really don't think this will change, frankly. :dry:

It might. If McAvoy and Fassbender are able to get in there and chat ideas with him early on, they might be able to persuade him that at this point Charles is story gold. And the negative stuff I've seen him say about Charles seems to have been mostly directed at older Charles which is totally legit. I love Patrick Stewart but I didn't care at all about Charles in the older movies. I kinda doubt XMFC2 will be Charles-centric (esp. with Kinberg writing the first draft and setting down the first ideas) but I think Vaughn knows he would be remiss not to give him a fair amount of screentime. And again, considering that he considers oldmovieCharles boring, this movie Charles will still be in transition so that's good. :)

What the **** is Simon Kinberg doing on this flick? Hope it doesnt get overloaded with new characters. Feel free to add Fantomex though.

Is Vaughn confirmed yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"