Singers Vision Of Xmen 3?

bosef982 said:
And just to add:

Can anyone imagine a fanboy movie? Here it goes:

OPEN CREDITS

The X-MEN turn, Storm hovers down, the Brotherhood steps up. Logan moves to the fro, Storm jumps into the air, flies a bit, then descends and pushes Logan down and shoots him a glance.

MAGNETO: X-Men, we have come to destroy you. I shall use the plan I used in Uncanny X-Men #448.

STORM: We shall stop you.

MYSTIQUE: (morphing for no reason, just to do so) No you won't.

CYCLOPS: How come?

SABERTOOTH jumps on Logan, pounds him. GROWLS.

SABRETOOTH: Because, in that comic, you can't beat us. We win.

LOGAN: But this is a movi --

XAVIER: Logan..I mean, Wolverine. Stop it. Nonesense.

MAGNETO: Now, I shall destroy you all.

STORM: Why do you do this? Humanity...wait (turns to Xavier)...what did I say in Uncanny #445?

JEAN GREY: I am PHOENIX! PHOENIX! Oh...sorry, you said "Humanity is one, we are part of it, it is simple. I have no nuance as a character. I am a thunderbolt tagline with a cape."

Everyone looks at Jean.

SCOTT: I am the leader. WE shoudl charge them. Right?

STORM: No, I'm the leader. I need more screentime.

MAGNETO: Enough! Die X-Men! Die! Kill HUmans! No philosohy here! I'm a mindless mas murder! Depth? Please, I scoff. KILLKILLKILL!

Magneto rises, the metal around him swirling, a god of metal and iron, holding back the steel hurricane whipping about the X-Men.

MAGNETO: And now I will --

CRACK! Lightening. Magneto falls to the ground. STORM steps up, smirking.

STORM: I stopped you.

MAGNETO: But...it's only been...ten minutes...

STORM: I can never be beaten or hurt. I mustn't. Oh wait...

INSERT: Quick, random shots of CYCLOPS realizing his powers. STORM being beaten. Dramatic glances at the screen and...

STORM: Almost forgot...

STORM whips up a wind that drops a SEMI-TRUCK on LOGAN.

STORM: There.

END CREDITS.

slap.gif

Think about it, then. Why did Pyro join the Brotherhood, despite beginning with Xavier? Because that's the kind of person he was, at heart. Because Magneto's values appeal to Pyro. Because all Pyro has ever known is hatred, and has not tried to break out of the mold. He has not tried to be tolerant of others and their differences.
Yeah, but we've seen the road Pyro had undergone choosing Magneto's side in the end.
First of all, he didn't really have a family (you can see how jealous and sad he is while looking at Bobby's family on the picture), he was jealous of Bobby's and Rogue's relationship (they competed for her feelings since X1), because of the little reprimend he received from Xavier in the museum, he felt wrongly judged, he saved his teammates from the police and yet nobody even said "thank you for your good intentions" and we've seen Magneto calling him a god. We've seen that on film, we've seen him making these steps down the alley. What we know about Mystique and Storm is that they started from the same point, they have the same feelings, but they are the opposite. No explanation why.
Look at Jean and Scott - they've never said or even shown that they're afraid of humans. That's why you don't feel them being in conflict with Xavier's ideals.
You might be able to envision it, but there'd be no logical reason, and the facts don't back it up. Because Storm clearly rejects Magneto's ideals and is a good person at heart, not someone who gave in to hatred and intolerance.
And your arguments of Storm being righteous is right, of course. But would you be so sure about her motives it it wasn't for the comics? If it wasn't for the early draft of X1 script you have read?
A movie should defend itself as a standalone piece. Script writer can't really assume that every cinema goer will read some comic-books first and that they will make samething obvious, something he didn't manage to portray.
Try imagine Mystique instead of Storm and vice verse, forget her comic-book origin, think just movie-verse. Fit's perfectly, doesn't it?

And this discussion about comic-book readers being... less intellectually involved in what they read may be right to some extent. But what you're doing is using logic and different sources to cover up plot holes the script writer didn't manage to close.
I buy and read about 20 books a year, I read another 12 books a year from libraries, not mentioning all the books I have to read for my university studies. And a fact that I would rather to see Storm "whole" instead of "blurry", doesn't make me a comic-book geek who "don't always get the symbolism and themes and tones presented", as it's exactly the change of Storm symbolism and tone that bothers me.

Singer's vision of X3 is through his rear view mirror. In front of him is Superman which to me is boring. I'll surely go watch Superman but it's a bit more of a nostalgic emotional feeling then an adrenaline rush. There's only so much you can do with blue and red tights and perfect hair and having eye glasses for a disguise.

Advanced Dark said:
Singer's vision of X3 is through his rear view mirror. In front of him is Superman which to me is boring. I'll surely go watch Superman but it's a bit more of a nostalgic emotional feeling then an adrenaline rush. There's only so much you can do with blue and red tights and perfect hair and having eye glasses for a disguise.

Gee I don't know about that. The guy has lasted almost 70 years hasn't he? :)

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing what will become of X3, but I think Singer would've delivered the goods in his version. Phoenix, Sentinels...would've been great.

Go India!

The Guard said:
You forgot their backstories, Bosef...shame.

MY PARODY MUST SUCK!!!

Well, just insert them anywhere, they're just mindless random expostions.

The Sage said:
Gee I don't know about that. The guy has lasted almost 70 years hasn't he? :)

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing what will become of X3, but I think Singer would've delivered the goods in his version. Phoenix, Sentinels...would've been great.

Go India!

Superman will always be an Icon or a main stay across the world. There's no denying that. It's emotional nostalgia and everyone's wish to be invlunerable and be able to fly. It's different than Marvel which has humanized it's characters more making them more popular and easier to relate too behind the powers. DC has recently started to change their character and humanize them, show weakness, etc...So yeah he'll be around for 70 more years but so will Donald Duck and Snoopy.

RedIsNotBlue said:

oh, I'm sorry, fanboys can decry and rape Singer's movies, parodying them and mocking them, but God forbid someone mock or parody the cult-like narrowmindedness of a fanboy... :rolleyes:

Of course, you're reaction makes it all worth it.

Bosef, that was just classic...classic.

Yeah, but we've seen the road Pyro had undergone choosing Magneto's side in the end. First of all, he didn't really have a family (you can see how jealous and sad he is while looking at Bobby's family on the picture)

He might have had a family, just not a good one. Many people don't. They don't all become evil villains.

he was jealous of Bobby's and Rogue's relationship (they competed for her feelings since X1)

This is not a reason to become a supervillain.

because of the little reprimend he received from Xavier in the museum, he felt wrongly judged

What does this have to do with choosing to side with an evil villain?

he saved his teammates from the police and yet nobody even said "thank you for your good intentions"

Good intentions? He wanted to hurt them, and that's how the scene is played. He's not "saving" anyone (no one ends up "saved" until the jet arrives, he's just lashing out in anger and hatred.

and we've seen Magneto calling him a god. We've seen that on film, we've seen him making these steps down the alley. What we know about Mystique and Storm is that they started from the same point, they have the same feelings, but they are the opposite. No explanation why.

Use your damned imagination. Honestly.

Look at Jean and Scott - they've never said or even shown that they're afraid of humans. That's why you don't feel them being in conflict with Xavier's ideals.

Storm isn't in conflict with Xavier's ideals, either.

And your arguments of Storm being righteous is right, of course. But would you be so sure about her motives it it wasn't for the comics? If it wasn't for the early draft of X1 script you have read?

Of course. Know why? Because we SEE Storm as a teacher at Xavier's school. We HEAR that she was one of his first students, and that he taught her, along with Scott and Jean. We see her fighting the good fight. She is portrayed as a hero. Her motives are obvious: essentially, despite being hurt, and having some fear, she fights the good fight because she believes humans and mutants to be equal, and is end the end, a true hero.

A movie should defend itself as a standalone piece. Script writer can't really assume that every cinema goer will read some comic-books first and that they will make samething obvious, something he didn't manage to portray.

It has nothing to do with comic books. It's simple interpretive ability. Do you honestly think people are going around thinking "Storm is just like the villains"? You realize "anger" and "fear" are not evil things, right?

Try imagine Mystique instead of Storm and vice verse, forget her comic-book origin, think just movie-verse. Fit's perfectly, doesn't it?

No. It doesn't. Because Storm doesn't go around hurting people. She doesn't use her hatred and her past as an excuse to hurt people and kill.

And this discussion about comic-book readers being... less intellectually involved in what they read may be right to some extent. But what you're doing is using logic and different sources to cover up plot holes the script writer didn't manage to close.

What plot holes? How the bad place is why Storm and Mystique didn't BOTH end up evil a "plot hole"? It's completely irrelevant to the story.

Here's a scene I would've loved to see.

WARNING!! WARNING!! SARCASM AHEAD!!

Magneto, floating in the air, witnesses a mutant join the X-Men. That mutant -- GAMBIT -- ignites a deck of cards and launches them at Magneto. Magneto lifts his hand, they backfire. The X-Men turn and look at the mutant with the long dark hair and the trenchcoat... just before a giant piece of metal falls on him, breaking his back.

:o

bosef982 said:
oh, I'm sorry, fanboys can decry and rape Singer's movies, parodying them and mocking them, but God forbid someone mock or parody the cult-like narrowmindedness of a fanboy... :rolleyes:

Of course, you're reaction makes it all worth it.

Nope. It is just ridiculous that because some people have a problem with some Singer's choices that it means they all think like that. But whatever. :)

RedIsNotBlue said:
Nope. It is just ridiculous that because some people have a problem with singer choices that it means they all think like that. But whatever. :)

I guess...sarcasm...

StevieNicks1988 said:
Here's a scene I would've loved to see.

WARNING!! WARNING!! SARCASM AHEAD!!

Magneto, floating in the air, witnesses a mutant join the X-Men. That mutant -- GAMBIT -- ignites a deck of cards and launches them at Magneto. Magneto lifts his hand, they backfire. The X-Men turn and look at the mutant with the long dark hair and the trenchcoat... just before a giant piece of metal falls on him, breaking his back.

:o

Hey, at least it would have been a cameo.:)

bosef982 said:
I guess...sarcasm...

I don't get how people wanting Cyclops to show the leadership qualities he had in the comics is such a narrowminded thing.

And you'll never have to.

And he did show the leadership qualities he had in the comics.

RedIsNotBlue said:
I don't get how people wanting Cyclops to show the leadership qualities he had in the comics is such a narrowminded thing.

Yeah, but there is a different between showing leadership qualities and going beyond boundaries of realism *cough* JM/Cyke thread *cough*. It's beyond stupid. A mentally disturbed or upset Cyclops is gonna give a eulogy. I can see it now: "We're here today to honor Xavier... WHY DID YOU LEAVE ME!!! WHY WHY WHY!?!?" :down

The Guard said:
And you'll never have to.

And he did show the leadership qualities he had in the comics.

Must have missed it the 30 times I watch it. -Waits for Guard's witty and sarcastic essay reply-

Everytime I watch X-Men 1, I liked the way they protrayed Cyclops in it. Without exactly saying it or showing it, you get the feel he's the leader. It's just a natural thing protrayed on film. Wolverine's obviously one of the main characters, but you still get the sense Cyclops is the man in charge. Even in the scenes he's in in X2, when Jean's helping Cyke and he asks who Nightcrawler is, you get that demanding and leadership feel off of him like "Out of the way, I'm in charge here!" :up: If Cyke does come back at the final battle of X3, I'm betting money we'll get that same thing again.

Advanced Dark said:
Superman will always be an Icon or a main stay across the world. There's no denying that. It's emotional nostalgia and everyone's wish to be invlunerable and be able to fly. It's different than Marvel which has humanized it's characters more making them more popular and easier to relate too behind the powers. DC has recently started to change their character and humanize them, show weakness, etc...So yeah he'll be around for 70 more years but so will Donald Duck and Snoopy.

And the X-Men, at least in spirit if not in sales.:O

Nah X-Men will be around forever too. There's a new genration of young boys to fill in the gaps as older generations age. The population is growing and the new ones won't be born hating X-Men. The X-Men will thrive amongst the youth as will Batman, Superman, and any character where enough time and energy is spent developing it in a quality way. There also has to be the franchisability of the character too.

Hotaru said:
I buy and read about 20 books a year, I read another 12 books a year from libraries, not mentioning all the books I have to read for my university studies. And a fact that I would rather to see Storm "whole" instead of "blurry", doesn't make me a comic-book geek who "don't always get the symbolism and themes and tones presented", as it's exactly the change of Storm symbolism and tone that bothers me.

And I never said that about you. I don't believe that anywhere in my remark I said anything about all comic book readers. I made a general statement to answer bosef's question about why comic book readers nitpick over every change to comic book movies when generally speaking, novel readers don't nitpick those same changes in novel adaptations.

Nowhere did I say in there that all comic book readers are less intelligent, or that no comic book reader can appreciate the symbolism, and themes, and tones presented in a comic book.

I'm just saying a large percentage of comic book readers are children or teenagers who aren't yet mentally mature enough to appreciate those types of things, where as a large percentage of people who read novels are educated, and do appreciate those types of things.

Big difference between large percentage and everyone.

Now, time to go play Guardball :)

Well then, it looks like I'm gonna have another go at this Guardball thing :p

I think this is my second go at it.

The Guard said:
Then what movies were you watching? You do realize, that when the delegates at the UN conference have their "backs against the wall", she risks her life to take on Magneto and his followers, and uses her powers to save their lives, right? Whose corner is she in at that point? Do you think she's just fighting Magneto for the bad place of it? Or for just Rogue? Seems like she's on their side, to me in that situation. In X2, she uses her powers to save humanity when their back is against a wall, right? And when the kids are in a cell with their "backs to the wall", who finds them and rescues them. Storm.

I guess a better way I should have worded it was "emotional support". Of course we see her fighting the good fight, because we know she's an X-Man, and that's what X-Men do. All of these things also have large scale consequences involved if nobody is there to stop them.

So yes, a better way for me to say it would have been to mention "emotional support". I will have to dig out my comics to find the perfect example of what I am talking about... *grabs box of X-Men comics... searching...............* Ah yes, here it is. Uncanny X-Men #326. At the beginning of this issue, we see Gambit, alone on the rooftop of the mansion, distressed, thinking back on his "crimes" that to this point, are unknown. Storm comes up, and they have a nice heart to heart, in which Gambit is concerned that the true nature of a person can never change, and that he is forever doomed with the truth of who he is. And it is Storm who is there to comfort him emotionally. And I guess we did see a bit of that with Senator Kelly, and with Nightcrawler, but both times she also had the fear and anger asterik along with it, instead of just her unconditional love. At least, that's my interpretation of it.

The Guard said:
Now you're just nitpicking, with more of this "they could have had a moment like this in there" stuff. She did, in X-MEN, try to get him to see what was truly important beyond himself. But you don't remember that, do you?

As with the above examples, I see this as a "greater consequence" type action. She tried to get Wolverine to see what was important beyond himself because the X-Men could definatley use his help in the fight against Magneto. Yes, for a worthwhile cause, to save the world leaders, and Rogue. But I didn't view it as a "Logan, I'm here for you" type moment.

The Guard said:
So, because it doesn't conform to your particular view of a character, it's all wrong? "I don't like it", fine. "It's wrong"? Wow.

I didn't say it was wrong, I said that it was inaccurate to my interpretation of the character. It's just like Batman Begins. I didn't totally enjoy it as much as most people did, because it was inaccurate to my interpretation of the character of Bruce Wayne and Batman. I never said that it was "wrong" though. Just not what I view the character to be.

And let me just say this. Do I think movie Storm is accurate to comic book Storm? No, I don't.

But also, I do believe that her movie version is developed, and is given motivation. I do see how some can see her mindset as next to that of Magneto's. But obviously it isn't completely if she is fighting against him, instead of with him. I get the character that is there, on screen. I just don't believe that it is an accurate portrayal of what's on comic book pages.

The Guard said:
And so, generally speaking, many comic book readers do not fully understand or care about some of the loftier themes and literary devices?

GENERALLY speaking, MANY comic book fans, yes.

But not every comic book fan falls into this category. Reading comic books does not mean you cannot become intellectually attatched to a piece, and understand the symbolism and themes of it.

The Guard said:
What is "the rest"?

The stuff that I mentioned above that I felt was lacking from her character; the emotional support.

The Guard said:
The mindset of Magneto can't be her mindset. Or she'd be a villain. Storm's mindset is obviously that of someone who was persecuted, but chose to foster understanding and peace instead of wanting to destroy her and mutantkind's tormentors. This mindset, buying into Xavier's "tolerance" and "understanding" aspects, is NOT the mindset of Magneto and his followers. Therefore Storm is clearly very different than they are, and has a markedly different mindset. What she has is similar motivations, but not the same ones by any stretch.

Correct, it obviously isn't her mindset, because she's fighting for Xavier's cause, and not Magneto's.

But she does come off sounding like borderline Magneto.

Senator Kelly: Do you hate humans?

Storm: Sometimes.

Senator Kelly: Why?

Storm: I guess because I am afraid of them.

Senator Kelly: Well I guess there's one less human you'll have to worry about (dies)

That's probably not word for word perfect, but pretty close. That sounds close to something Magneto might say.

From Storm, I would expect something along the lines of "No, I don't hate humans" and maybe explain why she fears them. But even the first time I saw X-Men and I was too stoked to care about perfect interpretations because it was an X-Men movie, I was kind of taken aback by her "sometimes" response. I expected something more "caring" from her, than "sometimes".

The Guard said:
Does that make it an invalid take on her character? Can you see how, for a character like Storm, as a mutant, she would likely have these aspects to her character, but overcome them because of who she is?

But the thing is, I never see Storm talking about how she sometimes "hates" humans. Now maybe I just haven't read enough comics. Because, again, I don't claim to be the expert when it comes to the comics. But I just don't see the hatred and anger aspect to her character in the comics and cartoons. I can see how a character like that, who is a mutant, and would suffer from persecution, would think like that. But that line of thinking is not what I expect from Storm. I would expect a character like Storm to realize that these people are just ignorant, uninformed, and "smack them in the head with a frying pan" to make them understand (of course that's in apostrophes because it's metaphorical, not literal)

The Guard said:
She has been all business in X-MEN and X2. Very to the point, outspoken, and unwilling to take much crap from anyone. At least through dialogue. Halle's portrayal of her does not scream "confidence"

Where have we really seen an instance of her not willing to take crap from anyone?

The Guard said:
So she has some fear and anger. Where in the movies do you see her choose to let her anger and fear outweigh her trust, in her relationships with people (Except for Sabertooth and Toad, even with Magneto she appeals to his humanity)? She doesn't let that happen in these films. Ever. In fact, when she has a chance to let her hatred take over, she chooses to trust Kelly, with her emotions, if nothing else. Then why, out of all the X-Men, does she stay there with Senator Kelly? Why does she not let him die alone? Why does she talk so intimately with him about her feelings on humanity and mutantkind? Why is she the one who bonds with Nightcrawler, who for all they know, is dangerous? She's as trusting as anyone has been in these films, certainly far more so than Jean, Cyclops, and even Xavier, simply by the nature of the conversations she's had with people. She's bared herself emotionally more than any of them, really. The "fear and anger" may not be overt in the comics, but it's not hard to see it being there somewhere, simply because she is a mutant, and sees the results of hatred every day. How does having some fear and anger toward humans hurt her character? I mean, you live in the same world I do, are you honestly telling me that you don't have some fear anf anger over humanity's actions from time to time? Why should Storm be any different?

It may just be my interpretation, but I don't really see her interaction with Senator Kelly as forgiving. Yes, the man here is on his death bed, and won't live long enough to make a difference politically, but she has a perfect oppourtunity here to try to ease an anti-mutant man's mind about the subject of mutants. But instead, when he asks if she hates humans, she says "sometimes". My take on Storm would have had her try to comfort him towards the subject of mutants, and try to make him realize, in his last few moments alive, that mutants don't have to be dangerous and hateful, but rather peaceful, forgiving people. In my opinion, that was a missed oppourtunity to define Storm's character.

The Guard said:
First, she never expressly says "anger toward humans". She says "anger". Anger can come from many places. It can come from how humants treat mutants, or how Magneto has treated humans or the whole damned conflict.
You say the Storm you know would not have anger toward humans. I call bull****. Why?
Let's roleplay.
You are a mutant. Because you are a mutant, people think differently of you. They may even shun you. And if they don't shun you, then by your work with Xavier, you are exposed to many situations where mutants ARE hated and shunned. Do you honestly think that wouldn't make someone like Storm angry? The suffering of anyone? I do. If not, what makes her angry then? Attacks on her physical person? The character in the comics and the movies, afterall, is named "Storm"? That name hardly suggests someone devoid of anger and tumultuous emotions.
You can't always choose who or what you become angry at, or what you fear. You can however, choose what you do with that anger and fear, and if you let it control you or make you inactive. Storm doesn't. She has turned it into something positive.
Does Storm go around preaching tolerance to humans and mutants in the movies? No, she's clearly starting with mutants. But it's not hard to see this version of Storm branching out and becoming something more, where she tried to spread the word to mutants. Her character hasn't reached that point yet in this movie. Doesn't mean she won't.

First, she does express anger towards humans, in the exchange that I've quoted about twice already between her and Senator Kelly.

And yes, you say you can't control becoming angry, but it's what you do with that anger, if you let it control you or not.

Well, from her exchange with Nightcrawler, it can be interpreted that she does let it control her. "I gave up on pity a long time ago" "Sometimes anger can help you survive"

That exchange can easily be interpreted as her letting her anger get the best of her. She later seemingly overcomes it, with her "I have faith in you" remark to Nightcrawler, to get him to teleport her inside of Cerebro, and maybe that is the growing point of her character in these films.

I'm not saying her anger isn't a valid motivation for fighting on Xavier's side, it very well could be. All I'm saying is that the anger motivation seems inaccurate for the character of Storm. From my interpretation of the character.

Now, I've played tonight's game of Guardball, I'm sure when I come back tomorrow afternoon, there will be something here for me to reply to, so I look forward to it.

I do find it funny, however, how I went from essentially arguing on your side, to now arguing against you, on the same topic I was previously on your side about... :eek:

I watched 1 and 2, and I don't like them both. However my continuining interest in x-men is mainly due to its theme and conflicts. Thus this change in directing has me excited me.

The Guard said:
You forgot their backstories, Bosef...shame.
As much as you supposedly "jest" here... it appears that you think this is a BAD thing (showing/revealing a backstory).

If this is true, then why did we get any backstory at all? Why Magneto? Why Wolverine? Why Rogue? Why the subtle hints at Xavier and Magnus' past relationship.

Why should any writer use flashbacks and backstory to convey a characters motivations? Why bother to establish character persona at all?

Angry Sentinel said:
As much as you supposedly "jest" here... it appears that you think this is a BAD thing (showing/revealing a backstory).

If this is true, then why did we get any backstory at all? Why Magneto? Why Wolverine? Why Rogue? Why the subtle hints at Xavier and Magnus' past relationship.

Why should any writer use flashbacks and backstory to convey a characters motivations? Why bother to establish character persona at all?
The problem here is that you're not being very practical. We're working on a limited timeframe for each movie.

Also, as a writer, you make choices on what to focus on. You try to avoid exposition as much as possible because exposition stops the forward momentum of the story. The plot stays inert unless you have something in the character's past directly tied to the plot events that occur in the present (which is not the case with most of the X-Men's origin). For a perfect example of this, watch the show Lost. The most interesting flashbacks are the ones that had the most impact on where the characters ended up on the Island. The other flashbacks that just reveal character motivations, while interesting, do not support the ongoing plot of the show. You couldn't add flashbacks for each character because they simply do not impact the plot that was being put forward by Singer. If you can come up with an all-encompassing plot that would require you to show each individuals flashback and make it relevant to the story without changing major details in each character's origin, I'd love to see it. Seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"