So are the 3D releases dead now?

LegendAssemble

Civilian
Reaction score
Since Disney owns Lucas films, is the saga no longer being rereleased in 3D? I've been kind of dreading seeing what George does to my favorite films in 3D but at the same time I was born in 92 and was too young to see any of the good ones in theaters so I was kind of looking forward to seeing IV-VI on the big screen.

They're the same films (well, the BluRay editions), just in 3D. The experience should still be worth it.

It hink they're still be doing the re-releases, just not one movie a year. They're gonna do AotC and RotS next year and then the rest by 2015.

Fox is for sure pushing ahead with II and III, but considering they have full distribution rights to IV, I'd bet they at least push for it. Hell, if I were Disney why not continue? It builds hype because in two years we could have ROTJ, see it in t heaters with a preview for what is coming next. The hype alone would be amazing.

Last edited:
I really hope Disney does cancel these plans for the remaining 3D films, I think it's pointless. I say place all their effort in the new films, or even that live action TV show. No more rehashes! Lucas is no longer in charge.

Though, I did want to watch TESB on the big screen for one last time. :D

They could schedule all three re-releases of the OT for 2014, and use them to hype up the new movie. That would be pretty cool.

you guys think we'll get Episodes 4-6 in their original cut/form on blu-ray?

I really hope Disney does cancel these plans for the remaining 3D films, I think it's pointless. I say place all their effort in the new films, or even that live action TV show. No more rehashes! Lucas is no longer in charge.

Though, I did want to watch TESB on the big screen for one last time. :D

So, not exactly pointless, is it?:cwink::woot:

They could schedule all three re-releases of the OT for 2014, and use them to hype up the new movie. That would be pretty cool.
Like I said, as long as ROTJ is coming at the end of 2014, and the hype is building for the new film, it would be awesome. Besides, I doubt Disney scraps the work that has been done, since they'll want those BD 3D releases somewhere down the line.

Thats kinda what i'm hoping is going to happen, seeing how I haven't seen the OT on the big screen. :dry:

I think Fox should skip Episode 2 and 3 and go straight to the originals in 2014.

I think Fox should skip Episode 2 and 3 and go straight to the originals in 2014.

That would rob me and many others of the pleasure of watching them again on the big screen.

Attack of the Plans 3D - 2013
Revenge of the Sith 3D - 2014
Episode IV to IV - 2015 before Episode VII

Anything is possible.

They're doing AotC and RotS in 2013. So 2014-15 should be the years of the OT re-releases.

i'm sure disney want's to make back what they spent buying star wars. so yeah expect the 3d releases to hype the new trilogy coming out. what better advertisement.

3D Releases Are Officially Dead!

EXCLUSIVE: No More ‘Star Wars’ 3D Prequel Releases; Lucasfilm Passes To Focus On New Trilogy

"I learned of this decision just now from Lucasfilm‘s promotional partners who are telling me the studio now owned by Disney wants to focus only on “rebooting the franchise” with three new Star Wars films. This surprising decision follows the underwhelming box office performance of Episode I: The Phantom Menace re-released in 3D in February 2012. It debuted to only $23M domestically but maybe even more importantly hardcore fans felt it was yet another craven cash grab by George Lucas. Back in September 2010, Lucasfilm and then-distributor Fox announced that all 6 films in the Star Wars franchise would be converted to 3D. Episode II: Attack Of The Clones (first released on May 16, 2002) was to hit theaters in 3D on September 20th, 2013, while Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith (first released on May 19, 2005) was to play in 3D on October 11, 2013. This news comes just days after Disney confirmed that J.J. Abrams will direct the new Star Wars: Episode VII scheduled to be released in 2015. It’s the first new Star Wars movie since 2005. Michael Arndt is writing the script. Disney bought Lucasfilm in October 2012 for $4 billion, with the Star Wars franchise obviously the jewel in the crown. At the time, Disney CEO Bob Iger said three more Star Wars films were in the pipeline."

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/exc...ses-lucasfilm-passes-to-focus-on-new-trilogy/

I was so hoping to finally see the Original Trilogy in theaters. :(

Sorry Doc.

I was looking forward to seeing all of them again on the big screen and in 3D :csad:

They want to make top priority making Episode VII, can't really disagree with their decision

We thought we could be decent men in an indecent time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"