So what's goin on with the Sentry now?!

I could say the same thing about that second Sentry mini. The Hulk acted like a puppy dog completely out of character. Yet because it has precedence you wish to take that as lore and not WWH. Do you see any inconsistancies here?

I mean, Marvel already has some heavy hitters more powerful than Superman...so what's appealing about someone of that power level if they're an agoraphobic, paranoid-schizophrenic?

You've answered your own question. I find "God with mental problems" appealing. I don't mind the Sentry. He's like a Marvel statement. If an ordinary suddenly had Superman's powers in the real world, he would be utterly ****ed up. It's one of their better ideas. (And I like the Void duality thing.) Although I have problems with the execution. Choose him a storyline and stick with it.

I could say the same thing about that second Sentry mini. The Hulk acted like a puppy dog completely out of character. Yet because it has precedence you wish to take that as lore and not WWH. Do you see any inconsistancies here?

They created one character that the Hulk is actually afraid of (due to Void's ability to make one experience their most despairing/horrifying moments). Why is that automatically inconsistent? Because so many people are Hulk fanboys and don't want to see him ever lose to anyone? (note: I am a Hulk fan but not everything can be beaten with a punch).
No, that's not inconsistent at all actually. Now, what WAS completely inconsistent with that was when Hulk completely contradicted that ON-PANEL showing of fear later in WWH by overpowering Trauma by revealing that Hulk fears nothing. THAT was inconsistent. And was, again, due to our lovely Mr Pak who routinely craps on comic history which he apparently sees himself as being above.

You've answered your own question. I find "God with mental problems" appealing. I don't mind the Sentry. He's like a Marvel statement. If an ordinary suddenly had Superman's powers in the real world, he would be utterly ****ed up. It's one of their better ideas. (And I like the Void duality thing.) Although I have problems with the execution. Choose him a storyline and stick with it.

Amen. Amen.

have you ever like read anything where he opens his mouth and words come out? But you're right about the loud colors he's like a metrosexual emo god.

The Sentry was never normal, though. He was a drug-addled f***-up as a kid, and now he's a strung-out schizophrenic as an adult. He was always crazy, so the Sentry's story isn't in any way, shape, or form about what a "normal" person might wind up becoming with powers. It's about what a crazy person would become with powers: crazier and a lot more dangerous.

That said, I'm glad they've either made him a villain or made the Void take his place (still not sure which at this point). Either way, the Sentry's pretty much just been waiting for his craziness to envelop him and make him a villain this whole time, and I think he'll be much more interesting and sensible as a villain.

They created one character that the Hulk is actually afraid of (due to Void's ability to make one experience their most despairing/horrifying moments). Why is that automatically inconsistent? Because so many people are Hulk fanboys and don't want to see him ever lose to anyone? (note: I am a Hulk fan but not everything can be beaten with a punch).
No, that's not inconsistent at all actually. Now, what WAS completely inconsistent with that was when Hulk completely contradicted that ON-PANEL showing of fear later in WWH by overpowering Trauma by revealing that Hulk fears nothing. THAT was inconsistent. And was, again, due to our lovely Mr Pak who routinely craps on comic history which he apparently sees himself as being above.

That he feared the void is one thing....that he had every bone broken with not even a fight and took over a week to heal and he remainned in Bob's kitchen sleeping on the floor is where I took umbrage. I do not think the Hulk is invincible but he was portrayed as a chump in that mini series and totally out of character.

And WWH Hulk no longer feared anything because he had lost everything dear to him. That is how I understood it. This was a creature who had just seen his wife and unborn son burn in his arms because of what others had done. Plus he was shown concentration techniques.

The way I see it the Sentry should be handled the same way Dr Strange and Black Bolt (and by association the Inhumans) should be handled.

Give them a mini every now and then, if a writer WITH TALENT shows an interest and has an idea for them.
Let them do guest appearances every once in a while for arcs that involve giant threats but otherwise keep them off of all the teams and don't give them any ongoings.

Both characters, when written properly should be way too formidable to be on any teams. They shouldn't need a team as tough as they are and they'd dwarf any other members if you put them there.

the "no ongoings" rule i'm less strict about cause I DO actually believe that an ongoing with any of the above characters COULD be done. I just think it'd be too hard to find believable threats every month and not have it get old. There are writers that could handle it but I dont think it'd be worth it to take them away from other books.

That he feared the void is one thing....that he had every bone broken with not even a fight and took over a week to heal and he remainned in Bob's kitchen sleeping on the floor is where I took umbrage. I do not think the Hulk is invincible but he was portrayed as a chump in that mini series and totally out of character.

And WWH Hulk no longer feared anything because he had lost everything dear to him. That is how I understood it. This was a creature who had just seen his wife and unborn son burn in his arms because of what others had done. Plus he was shown concentration techniques.

Still disagree with a number of your points but it's not worth arguing.

The way I see it the Sentry should be handled the same way Dr Strange and Black Bolt (and by association the Inhumans) should be handled.

Give them a mini every now and then, if a writer WITH TALENT shows an interest and has an idea for them.
Let them do guest appearances every once in a while for arcs that involve giant threats but otherwise keep them off of all the teams and don't give them any ongoings.

Both characters, when written properly should be way too formidable to be on any teams. They shouldn't need a team as tough as they are and they'd dwarf any other members if you put them there.

the "no ongoings" rule i'm less strict about cause I DO actually believe that an ongoing with any of the above characters COULD be done. I just think it'd be too hard to find believable threats every month and not have it get old. There are writers that could handle it but I dont think it'd be worth it to take them away from other books.

This is EXACTLY how I think the character should be handled.

COOL SIDENOTE: Just read Punisher #1, and it's one of the few recent comics where Sentry is portrayed (imo) properly. I HIGHLY recommend giving it a read over :)

No one can catch Frank. Unless Frank is in the mood to go kill some inmates again. That's just how the universe works.

I suspect most new series that are starting up in '09 will automatically be bumped up to the $4 mark, except Marvel Adventures or other all-ages titles.

I'm almost finished with the Marvel Knights: The Sentry mini-series by Paul Jenkins after having it recommended to me on this sight.

And you know what... it's awesome! I never realized that The Sentry had the potential to be an interesting character. Jenkins is a great writer, lots of big juicy words throughout the book. And I really like Hulk's friendship with The Sentry. It sucks that The Sentry isn't used properly these days, he's a lit cooler than I first gave him credit for. How come we don't see him in his watchtower talking to that "Cloc" thing he has, it's cool!

Great read, though I guess I shouldn't say so yet I still have the last two chapters left, I may end up hating the end. But I doubt it :yay:.

Ah, the good old days, back before Bendis got his hands on the Sentry.

Ah, the good old days, back before Bendis got his hands on the Sentry.

Bendis did great with the Sentry up til the end of the SENTRY NA story arc. Then after that, he just got sick of him? Maybe.

I'm almost finished with the Marvel Knights: The Sentry mini-series by Paul Jenkins after having it recommended to me on this sight.

And you know what... it's awesome! I never realized that The Sentry had the potential to be an interesting character. Jenkins is a great writer, lots of big juicy words throughout the book. And I really like Hulk's friendship with The Sentry. It sucks that The Sentry isn't used properly these days, he's a lit cooler than I first gave him credit for. How come we don't see him in his watchtower talking to that "Cloc" thing he has, it's cool!

Great read, though I guess I shouldn't say so yet I still have the last two chapters left, I may end up hating the end. But I doubt it :yay:.

EXACTLY!!

That is why Sentry is my fav character. But they never do anything with him these days like they should. He does NOTHING with cloc, his "watchtower" is nothing more than ornamentation, he almost never actually, oh I don't know, FIGHTS, and I think there's a variety of dramatic things they could do with Sentry's old, disfigured sidekick Scout.

Plus they had that whole scene in that recent MA comic where the Void seemed to come back or something, then... NOTHING! No explanation or reference back to it at all.

The only way there could be any greater waste of potential than what's been done with the Sentry is if Michael Jordan had decided to get into accounting.

Bendis did great with the Sentry up til the end of the SENTRY NA story arc. Then after that, he just got sick of him? Maybe.
I didn't really like the NA arc, either. If it were up to me, the original Sentry mini would be in its own continuity as a one-off story. I think it works best that way.

I didn't really like the NA arc, either. If it were up to me, the original Sentry mini would be in its own continuity as a one-off story. I think it works best that way.

I thought the NA Sentry arc was pretty awesome myself

Having just finished the original mini a few weeks ago having had it recommended to me after seeing The Sentry in Iron Man and WWH, I cant believe how they have messed up the character so much.

He was perfect in that mini, and why they turned him into a drug addict who is scared of his powers is just ridiculous.

What they SHOULD have done is to convert him from a drug addict to someone who went on the straight and narrow once he got his powers and decided to use them for good. Then he found out he was the Void and that could tie into the original mini.

The Void himself was very interesting also, an evil so powerful it needed everyone to take him down but who was just another side of the hero, with opposing powers. I'm sure something really interesting could be done with that as well, 2 very powerful creatures who are the same person but on opposite ends of the morality scale has so much potential IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"