Venom Sony Revives 'Venom' Solo Movie - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, chillax :)

It's a movie at the end of the day. We can respect each other, whether we support Venom or not.

Ignoring whether this movie needs to exist or not, they had 2 choices: elude to Spider-Man in some type of flashback and drop a bunch of boring exposition, or remove Spider-Man altogether and forge a new path. For this movie, that was probably the better narrative decision, especially given we don't know if Marvel was against putting him the movie, etc.

Yeah that's their choice. They can make Venom a drag queen if they want. It's their movie. But removing Spider-Man entirely from the origin story automatically makes this version very far removed from any kind of perfect depiction of Venom. Venom's existence is firmly and entirely based on Spider-Man.

And to think some fans were up in arms just because Uncle Ben didn't get a name drop in Homecoming or Civil War, even though he was very strongly alluded to in dialogue.

I honestly don't have a problem with this because this is not a movie about Venom, the villain. It's about Venom the anti-hero, so his hatred of Spider-Man is less key in that regard.

Which is another drastic change. Venom was villain first, and anti-hero later. Its like Sony making Harry Goblin before Norman. Cart before the horse.

Last edited:
Which is another drastic change. Venom was villain first, and anti-hero later. Its like Sony making Harry Goblin before Norman. Cart before the horse.

While I agree about the progression, we also have sort of seen that movie in Spider-Man 3. I know the films are not in continuity with one another, but honestly how different would a Spider-Man vs Venom movie be? It might be scarier or done better, but the core story would no doubt hit the same beats. I'd rather they do something different. Venom as a villain is more limited than say Doc Ock or Norman Osborn.

Granted, it being a Sony project I am not sure this movie will work in the end, but like I said before, even if the movie just ends up being a dumb but fun movie, I am okay with that.

It really is such a weird feeling I get from this movie. On one hand, I love the casting. Even though Hardy comes off a little weird in the trailer, he probably delivers a good performance and he suits Brock well (of course, anyone would be a step up from Topher). On the other hand, it is bothersome that this apparently has no connection to Spider-Man and the MCU. The Spidey connection is so intertwined with the character and yet we'll probably never see the two of them share the screen together. So it's hard to really get excited about this. I feel the same way about that Joker movie WB is developing.

Eddie mainly using venom as tendrils from his arms or from his body reminds me of this game.
1106377062.jpg

People are just so soft around here

If this movie does really well, you can guarantee Eddie will travel to NYC and encounter the Webslinger in a future film

The new trailer was aces. Hardy looks so damn entertaining as Brock/Venom. I'm excited and I'm definitely gonna try and watch this one in theaters.

Well... he looks like Venom.

It's just Venom is supposed to be evil Spider-Man, that's where the design comes from, so Venom on his own looking like evil Spider-Man for no reason is baffling.

The trailer was okay and I like Venoms look a lot, but it didn't do much to discourage those rumours that there isn't much Venom in the movie.

While I agree about the progression, we also have sort of seen that movie in Spider-Man 3. I know the films are not in continuity with one another, but honestly how different would a Spider-Man vs Venom movie be? It might be scarier or done better, but the core story would no doubt hit the same beats. I'd rather they do something different. Venom as a villain is more limited than say Doc Ock or Norman Osborn.

You think a full fledged Venom vs Spidey movie would feel the same as SM-3, in which they only came in contact in the last act?

You are dead on right. Venom as a villain is so limited. The boring stalk and attack Spider-Man routine got stale in the comics. Venom has a shelf life. That's why they turned him from villain to anti-hero, and spawned a plethora of symbiote related characters, and have passed the Venom symbiote off to everyone from Mac Gargan to Flash Thompson. They are always scraping the bottom of the barrel to try and keep the character fresh.

Granted, it being a Sony project I am not sure this movie will work in the end, but like I said before, even if the movie just ends up being a dumb but fun movie, I am okay with that.

Given Sony's track record, and this trailer, its easy to see what this will likely be.

Btw Spider-Fan, just want to clear something up from the previous thread with you in your moderator capacity. Was I out of line at all in my discussion with BH/HHH?

Last edited:
Well... he looks like Venom.

It's just Venom is supposed to be evil Spider-Man, that's where the design comes from, so Venom on his own looking like evil Spider-Man for no reason is baffling.

It doesn't looks like he has the spider symbol on his chest. So the appearance is probably based on the ultimate version.
latest

Spider-Fan said:
Precisely, it's a mesh-up. But, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Pretty much all of the MCU films have drawn upon both 616 and Ultimate sources for inspiration, and made the best combinations they could. Look no further than Cap's costume in the MCU. It is FAR more ultimate Cap. I don't think Sony is trying to say we're getting 616 Venom, I think they are just selling we're getting Venom (teeth, tongue, talks to himself, lethal protector, etc).

That said, this is a Sony project. I understand being pessimistic. But, I will give it a shot.

Yeah. I'm definitely not trying to take away from others excitement, I think someone has me covered there. Just voicing my gripes I've been genuinely trying to see the good points in this production along the way.

You think a full fledged Venom vs Spidey movie would feel the same as SM-3, in which they only came in contact in the last act?

I don't think it would be a far cry. Venom would just stalk Spider-Man and toy with him (like he did by teaming up with Marko or kidnapping MJ), maybe they have a throw down or two. Not to mention whatever Spider-Man vs Brock stuff they need to develop before he gets the symbiote. These are similar beats no doubt they would hit. How could they not? Basically every Venom vs Spidey story in the history of ever has been that, LOL

Given Sony's track record, and this trailer, its easy to see what this will likely be.

This I fully acknowledge, LOL! Sony has made lots of bad movies.

Btw Spider-Fan, just want to clear something up from the previous thread with you in your moderator capacity. Was I out of line at all in my discussion with BH/HHH?

Not really, but I saw it potentially beginning to get more heated.

It seems that the new trailer is going over really well.

The main one from Sony's YT channel already has over 12.7m views. That's really impressive. Maybe the int'l audience will embrace this.

I don't think it would be a far cry. Venom would just stalk Spider-Man and toy with him (like he did by teaming up with Marko or kidnapping MJ), maybe they have a throw down or two. Not to mention whatever Spider-Man vs Brock stuff they need to develop before he gets the symbiote. These are similar beats no doubt they would hit. How could they not? Basically every Venom vs Spidey story in the history of ever has been that, LOL

Well that's just it. There was no stalking or toying with Peter in SM-3. It went straight to the physical confrontation (which he had to share with Harry and Sandman). There was no build up. No mind games. No making Peter on edge like in the 90's cartoon or SSM. Even pre-Venom Brock and Peter barely shared any screen time. We all know its because Sony shoe horned in Venom on Raimi. But the point is there was so much missing that would make a full proper movie between them feel like a totally different movie to SM-3.

Putting it mildly lol. Especially with this franchise.

Thank you :up:

Like Flash Thompson will do online with Brock if they ever meet in a future movie.

Brock Venom might be a superior webslinger, but Flash Venom is superior at the interwebs!

Well that's just it. There was no stalking or toying with Peter in SM-3. It went straight to the physical confrontation (which he had to share with Harry and Sandman). There was no build up. No mind games. No making Peter on edge like in the 90's cartoon or SSM.

They didn't do much with it, that is true. Kidnapping MJ and the one scene where he picks Peter up by his head from behind are all we got with. But, by the same token, Venom is not really a master planner type. He is 100% a stalker as a villain. For a superhero movie, is that enough plot? It's great for like a dramatic thriller or something, but a CGI fest comic book movie? I would be worried a full Venom being a stalker movie would get...boring. Not unless it had something else complimenting it.

I don't feel Spider-man is necessary at all for a Venom movie. Cut out Peter Parker there's still tons to explore with the character and concept he can easily support his own movie, mythology, etc. While it would be cool to have that connection, Spidey in the suit, and them fighting there's enough potential without it. Though I think they should of kept him being at his lowest point when he gets the symbiote, instead it seems like he has the perfect life before it.

That being said this trailer is leagues better than the teaser, which was just a poorly edited mess. Venom himself looks cool and the movie probably won't be great but looks fun.

They didn't do much with it, that is true. Kidnapping MJ and the one scene where he picks Peter up by his head from behind are all we got with. But, by the same token, Venom is not really a master planner type. He is 100% a stalker as a villain. For a superhero movie, is that enough plot? It's great for like a dramatic thriller or something, but a CGI fest comic book movie? I would be worried a full Venom being a stalker movie would get...boring. Not unless it had something else complimenting it.

A lot of Spidey villains are not master planner types. In fact most of them are not. The majority are just thugs with powers. Spidey's A-list baddies is a very small circle, and I don't even include Venom in it for the reasons you just stated and more. In fact I think the comic book character is terrible. Almost every on screen adaption of him has been better than the source material.

But for story purposes, with a rewrite of of his origin to give him better reasons to hate Spidey like in SSM for example, and sharing the movie with another villain who could fit in with the theme of the movie, he absolutely could make for a good movie without it getting boring.

The trailer was okay and I like Venoms look a lot, but it didn't do much to discourage those rumours that there isn't much Venom in the movie.

That rumor came from one place and that was the 4chan post that was an alleged leak of plot points that everyone believed and started posting on.

You may be right that Venom isn't in it much but that would at this point be by chance since this new trailer just destroyed the legitimacy of the 4chan post that bloggers used as a source. I'd say it's best now to not look at this trailer or this movie by those lenses anymore.

Just for the record I don’t think you were and I get why you have your gripes about the film especially when Sony’s record isn’t great.

I just personally love what I’m seeing. I can’t change how I feel and you can’t with yours. It’s cool.

A lot of Spidey villains are not master planner types. In fact most of them are not. The majority are just thugs with powers. Spidey's A-list baddies is a very small circle, and I don't even include Venom in it for the reasons you just stated and more. In fact I think the comic book character is terrible. Almost every on screen adaption of him as been better than the source material.

That's true, but I also don't think a guy like Electro can carry a movie by himself either. Hence why they shoehorned in Harry Osborn into that POS :o

There is a reason a guy like Electro is always paired with someone who can do the thinking in the movies, LOL!

But for story purposes, with a rewrite of of his origin to give him better reasons to hate Spidey like in SSM for example, and sharing the movie with another villain who could fit in with the theme of the movie, he absolutely could make for a good movie without it getting boring.

Venom is an ideal 2nd villain, I agree. Pair him with like a Kraven or something, and I think you got something. But, I think just a Venom vs Spider-Man movie has some narrative issues to overcome.

Just for the record I don’t think you were and I get why you have your gripes about the film especially when Sony’s record isn’t great.

I just personally love what I’m seeing. I can’t change how I feel and you can’t with yours. It’s cool.

Thank you, buddy. I didn't think you did. It was another person decided to interject their 2 cents. I just wanted to double check with a moderator on it.

I am pleased you are happy with what you're seeing. Honestly. I personally am not getting any great vibes from it. That's why I asked your reasons. Genuine interest, and spark some discussion. Which it did. And it was good discussion.

That's true, but I also don't think a guy like Electro can carry a movie by himself either. Hence why they shoehorned in Harry Osborn into that POS :o

There is a reason a guy like Electro is always paired with someone who can do the thinking in the movies, LOL!

Oh yeah Electro is one of the last villains who can carry a movie solo. Honestly there is not many Spidey villains who can. Ock, Goblin, Lizard, Vulture......that's all in my view. They are all villains who are brains and planner types with powers to back them up. Heck Ock is the MASTER PLANNER :otto:

Venom is an ideal 2nd villain, I agree. Pair him with like a Kraven or something, and I think you got something. But, I think just a Venom vs Spider-Man movie has some narrative issues to overcome.

Yeah that goes for most of the villains. They need to be paired up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"