Spider-Man 1 vs Man of Steel

Yup. SM is by far the best of the three IMO. I agree that the train scene was cool, and the Spidey sense slo mo in the coffee shop, but otherwise SM 2 has so many cringe moments for me that I don't really enjoy it much. JK Simmons was great, but that's not enough to carry the film.

TBH I would rather watch SM 3 than 2, and that has some super cringe moments ( although I find evil disco strut Peter Parker hilarious). Sandman was pretty boring, and Topher Grace laughably miscast, but I thought that Harry's sacrifice resolved the love triangle nicely.

I think that Harry was trash and Sandman was average but a bit boring. The 2nd doesn’t have much rewatchability but one time a year it's enough.

Totally agree on the first, it's supposed to be cheesy and fun. That was the point of Peter, and I got too much nostalgia to see flaws in that film. I'd still take Iron Man and Begins above it but it's a solid origin story after 18 years.

Spider-Man 1 easily. It has heart, soul and is uplifting and watchable. MOS often feels empty and soulless and like an assault on your senses at the end. It isn't something I find rewatchable and is so sombre, downbeat and moody. Cavill is very wooden too and not a relatable Superman either to audiences or even to people in the film universe. He's a remote and laconic figure.

And definitely Cavill is not the most popular or well-liked version of Superman at all. That is Christopher Reeve unquestionably.

There are a lot of people who consider Tom Holland the best Spider-Man, and Christopher Reeve the best Superman, so starting this poll out on the flawed foundation of treating it as if it's ironclad fact that Tobey Maguire and Henry Cavill are the best-liked Spider-Man and Superman makes it an inherently flawed poll skewed in favor of the poll creator's personal opinions, which are nothing more than opinions.

Such a poll is inherently worthless before a single vote is cast.

Despite Man of Steel being my favorite Superman movie, I have to give this one to Spider-man.

Christopher Reeve is BY FAR the most popular and well-liked live action portrayal of Superman.

In 2018, I saw two polls on social media (Snapchat, Twitter) that pit the Cavill Supes vs the Reeve Supes. Cavill won by a huge margin in both instances. From what I've seen, older fans prefer Reeve, while younger ones prefer Cavill.

In 2018, I saw two polls on social media (Snapchat, Twitter) that pit the Cavill Supes vs the Reeve Supes. Cavill won by a huge margin in both instances. From what I've seen, older fans prefer Reeve, while younger ones prefer Cavill.

The current guy almost always wins those polls. Classic example of recency bias. Andrew Garfield was winning them too, If Cavill was that popular we'd be seeing it in reviews and/or box office. His films would be far more successful than what they have been.

The current guy almost always wins those polls. Classic example of recency bias. Andrew Garfield was winning them too, If Cavill was that popular we'd be seeing it in reviews and/or box office. His films would be far more successful than what they have been.

There might be some truth to that, but I also saw a 2019 Facebook poll between the two which yielded the same result: Cavill via curbstomp. I was a little shocked by this because Facebook users tend to be a little older. It wasn't a huge poll (5,000+), but was more proof that while the DCEU Supes has his detractors, the idea that the Donner Superman has resonated with modern moviegoers isn't the case. It's primarily middle-age people who aren't aware that Cavill is Superman to the majority of 20-somethings and 30-somethings.

Tom Holland is currently my favorite version of Spider-Man and has been since his introduction in CW, but I always enjoyed Tobey Maguire in the role as well. Christopher Reeve is still the definitive live action, bigscreen version of Supes to me as well, but given the right material and the right director I could easily see Cavill ascending to that level or even surpassing it, but right now I just don't see it and it all starts with how flawed of a origin film MOS is and we all know where it went from there with the mess that was BvS and JL.

Going back to this poll though Spider-Man gets my vote just because it works better as an origin film and is actually a great introduction to the character Peter Parker and Spider-Man.

Spider-Man was great and is one of the films that set a standard when the golden age of comic book movies was forming.

Man of Steel is a character assassination piece of Superman in my view so I really am not very fond of that at all. I wasn't surprised that Snyder said that fans were angry that he "tried to grow up their favorite character" since that shows that he thinks it's childish to be a lighter, hopeful character.

Spider-Man was great and is one of the films that set a standard when the golden age of comic book movies was forming.

Man of Steel is a character assassination piece of Superman in my view so I really am not very fond of that at all. I wasn't surprised that Snyder said that fans were angry that he "tried to grow up their favorite character" since that shows that he thinks it's childish to be a lighter, hopeful character.

Ironic, as Snyder’s view of what “gritty and serious” means is laughably juvenile.

Man of Steel

I saw Spider-Man 1 not to long ago again & the film for myself hasn't aged well at all for me. I can't actually put my finger on & tell you why either.

Truth be told the only movie from Maguire's trilogy I actually still enjoy is Spider-Man 2 which IMO is 1 of the best CBM's ever.

I go with Man of Steel, despite being a bit too bloated/random and Cavill too often yes wooden still a pretty good take on and new start to the character and world.

With Spider-Man 1, Maguire had moments, Dafoe was good but Maguire and Dunst (who I like in other films) and the film overall were too annoying and too common denominator.

Spider-Man 1. I may not agree with the OP's perception about the Cavill thing or whathaveyou, but if it's their opinion, that's the case, I don't see that as a problem with them saying that.

I am definitely a DC fan and I prefer their comics and find their characters more enjoyable (although I like Marvel too, just not nearly as much.) But I have to go with Spider-Man with this one. Honestly I like Amazing Spider-Man and the two Tom Holland movies better than MoS.

While I don’t hate MoS, and I actually have a lot of things/scenes that I like in it, it just completely misses the mark of what makes Superman such an incredible character. For most of the film, the tone seems off. And although I know people seem to like Michael Shannon’s Zod, I found him to border on ludicrous. The Donner version, which itself was flawed, is far superior, in my opinion.

That said, I like Cavill and am excited that a new generation of fans get “their Superman.” I wish they’d have gotten a better characterization with it.

I'm a DC Comics fanboy, but to me there's no contest here. Sam Raimi's by far.

Spidey by an exceptionally wide margin.

Yeah. Ben Affleck also beats Keaton in those types of polls. I've seen Jared Leto beat Nicholson and Cesar Romero in those types of polls.

Cavill being Superman to a niche portion of 20/30 somethings doesn't mean much when the overall franchise has been increasingly irrelevant under his tenure. He's not like Reeve or George Reeves where Superman actually seemed like a big deal when they played him.

This thread asks which film is better, therefore I answer Spider-Man. Even if the origin movie in question was the Amazing Spider-Man I'd still vote Spidey's movie against Man of Steel as the better film.

If the question was which movie I find more entertaining, the answer would be different though.

Superman will always be a BIG deal, in my book anyway. To me, he's the most important superhero of all time.

Reactions: B
I recently rewatched MoS and I really liked it, while it's a bit slow on some parts before Zod's ship arrived to earth, it's a solid and great film.

Zod and Faora were good villains, the soundtrack and action scenes were great, I liked Cavill's Superman and the cinematography was decent. The plot gives us a new Superman, with a change of tone and I think it was better than another "Superman Returns"

It has also a few great scenes, like the World Engine, First Flight, The opening scene and the fights. Overall, it does have some flaws sure like the tornado scene and being a bit slow but it does have some great stuff and it’s very entertaining in the third act.

I would give it a 8/10 and unsure which one is the better film now. Spidey is a better origin story and has a better paced plot but some of the stuff is about even.

Voting for MoS because I feel the poll should be a bit closer.

Last edited:
As much as I love Man of Steel and find it criminally underrated. Spider-Man 1 takes this for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"