Far From Home Spider-Man: Far From Home General Discussion and Speculation - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Jason" sounds a lot like Flash... the real Flash, I mean. Not Flasholori.

EDIT: Wait a minute, a gender non-conforming student? Jesus, this is gonna get ugly.

Last edited:
"Jason" sounds a lot like Flash... the real Flash, I mean. Not Flasholori.

EDIT: Wait a minute, a gender non-conforming student? Jesus, this is gonna get ugly.

Time for the bigots to come out of the woodwork.

Well, let's hope not.

Here are the descriptions, by the way.

• An 18-22 year old ethnicity to play a gender non-conforming student.
  • An 18-26 year old actress of any ethnicity, preferably a character actor or comedienne.
  • An 18-25 year old male, to play a high school senior named “JASON” who is described as “charming and insanely likable.”
I have no idea who they could be.

Well, let's hope not.

Here are the descriptions, by the way.

I have no idea who they could be.

Remember the reaction to Zendaya possibly playing MJ back in 2016? We're going to be dealing with the nerds who throw conniption fits whenever supporting characters have the nerve to be not be straight white men. Just you wait.

Last edited:
Remember the reaction to Zendaya possibly playing MJ back in 2016? We're going to be dealing with the nerds who throw conniption fits whenever supporting characters have the nerve to be not be straight white men. Just you wait.
Nothing wrong with wanting a character to look the way they've looked for the past 56 years. That doesn't make one a bigot or racist because they want comic accuracy

Nothing wrong with wanting a character to look the way they've looked for the past 56 years. That doesn't make one a bigot or racist because they want comic accuracy

This should be obvious to anyone and shouldn't need to be said. However...

I feel like they're casting multiracial to kind of go the Ultimate route and to also make a point and kind of take a jab at the nerds that ***** about that.

Gender non-conforming student?

So is Harry going to be trans? Felicia Hardy gender-fluid?

I feel like they're casting multiracial to kind of go the Ultimate route and to also make a point and kind of take a jab at the nerds that ***** about that.

I'd have to question the mindset of any creator who specifically looks for a fight with their audience.

No but there is something wrong with not accepting and then fighting against change when it comes or when the people in charge decide to change something especially when it something as insignificant as how a character looks (also if a character's look is all that can define how good/important a character is, then that's a pretty ****** character to have a big role in a story imo)

No one is casting anyone to make a point or start a fight, and I can't understand the people who feel that way when different people are cast in roles, can they not accept that it might be their talent that got them the part?

In other words accept change don't be like star wars fans are now

Also it seems the sites page will no longer load, have they taken it down?

Last edited:
No but there is something wrong with not accepting a change when it comes or when the people in charge decide to change something

In other words accept change don't be like star wars fans are now

This is a terrible argument. All you're saying is to blindly accept whatever you are given. Any fan, including Star Wars fans are entitled not to support or accept something they view as terrible.

Btw, welcome to the forum.

This is a terrible argument. All you're saying is to blindly accept whatever you are given. Any fan, including Star Wars fans are entitled not to support or accept something they view as terrible.

Btw, welcome to the forum.
You missed the edit I made by ten seconds explaining my full point, accuracy should come from actions and character growth and if the accuracy all depends on a look then that is a pretty piss poor character

I'd have to question the mindset of any creator who specifically looks for a fight with their audience.

It's not looking for a fight, it's refusing to cater to them or coddle them. It's doing whatever they think is the best direction for the story is, and not worrying about nerds throwing hissy fits over certain changes being made to characters.

It's not looking for a fight, it's refusing to cater to them or coddle them. It's doing whatever they think is the best direction for the story is, and not worrying about nerds throwing hissy fits over certain changes being made to characters.

Agreed, having the mindset that changing something is wanting to look for a fight is ridiculous and speaks pretty loudly of the person who has that kind of mindset

Agreed, having the mindset that changing something is wanting to look for a fight is ridiculous and speaks pretty loudly of the person who has that kind of mindset

Plus if they want to consume Spider-Man media where almost every main character is straight and white, they can always, oh I dunno, read like 90% of the comics and watch the previous TV shows and previous five frickin movies.

You missed the edit I made by ten seconds explaining my full point, accuracy should come from actions and character growth and if the accuracy all depends on a look then that is a pretty piss poor character

The 'character above looks' argument just seems far too dismissive of the importance of visuals, especially when the looks can be as renowned as the character and even in some cases more so. You've also got to take into account the individual's personal taste in where they draw the line.

Also there are a number of examples in Homecoming alone where they're wide of the mark both in terms of character and look. I recall seeing a lot of people disappointed with much of Homecoming's supporting cast outside of Ned and Aunt May.

I also don't agree with a broad brushing of Star Wars fans as toxic. I think that narrative will end up boring people in the ass and hurting the brand even further.

That's the premise of Terry78's argument I was responding to.

Again. Go see the argument I was responding to and keep that in mind.

Spidey is from Queens, one of the most racially diverse places on the planet. It makes no sense for all of his friends and classmates to be white, even in a comic book movie. As I said, if you want more of that, go read the older comics, watch TAS or SSM, or watch SM1 through TASM2.

Last edited:
The 'character above looks' argument just seems far too dismissive of the importance of visuals, especially when the looks can be as renowned as the character and even in some cases more so. You've also got to take into account the individual's personal taste in where they draw the line.

Also there are a number of examples in Homecoming alone where they're wide of the mark both in terms of character and look. I recall seeing a lot of people disappointed with much of Homecoming's supporting cast outside of Ned and Aunt May.

I also don't agree with a broad brushing of Star Wars fans as toxic. I think that narrative will end up boring people in the ass and hurting the brand even further.

That's the premise of Terry78's argument I was responding to.

Again. Go see the argument I was responding to and keep that in mind.

It isn't dismissive its the truth, if a character's whole being is based on a look and not how he/she acts. grows and changes and the stories he/she is involved in then the character is pretty thin on the ground and pretty crappy, that is the truth.
Homecoming is a high school movie set in present times the changes were made to suit that and to differentiate the movie from the previous 5 as well as tv shows etc. Also this a lot of people disappointed seems to be another loud minority judging by the reviews and money homecoming made. (Also you say Ned was received well by this lots of people, yet Homecoming's Ned is nothing like comics Ned? Neither is May tbh The fact we got way more screen time and character moments from them both, as well as the actors being good speaks more to that)

Also me saying dont be like Star wars fans isn't brushing them all as toxic, im talking in the terms of those fans who have the mindset that characters can't change over 40 odd years, also I think I was replying to terry's point too not yours on the wanting a fight thing

It isn't dismissive its the truth, if a character's whole being is based on a look and not how he/she acts. grows and changes and the stories he/she is involved in then the character is pretty thin on the ground and pretty crappy, that is the truth.
Homecoming is a high school movie set in present times the changes were made to suit that and to differentiate the movie from the previous 5 as well as tv shows etc. Also this a lot of people disappointed seems to be another loud minority judging by the reviews and money homecoming made. (Also you say Ned was received well by this lots of people, yet Homecoming's Ned is nothing like comics Ned? Neither is May tbh The fact we got way more screen time and character moments from them both, as well as the actors being good speaks more to that)

Also me saying dont be like Star wars fans isn't brushing them all as toxic, im talking in the terms of those fans who have the mindset that characters can't change over 40 odd years, also I think I was replying to terry's point too not yours on the wanting a fight thing

The ones who bullied Kelly Marie Tran off social media are toxic, however, and should have loogies hocked at them. Do we really want to risk turning into them?

Spidey is from Queens, one of the most racially diverse places on the planet. It makes no sense for all of his friends and classmates to be white, even in a comic book movie. As I said, if you want more of that, go read the older comics, watch TAS or SSM, or watch SM1 through TASM2.
Ah, there it is. The classic "if you don't like it, you can watch the old movies/read the comics" how about I watch this movie, Yeah? The movie is based on the SAME property so there are always going to be certain expectations and elements to be retained. That being said, I had no problem with Homecoming's diverse cast. BUT there were certain characters who I, as someone who has been reading the comics and cartoons for 22 years - would have preferred to stay their original race. Mary Jane is one of those characters and my main issue with her was the fact that she was nothing like MJ from past form of Spidey literature but yes, I wanted MJ to look the part too. And that does not make me (a black man) or ANYBODY ELSE a bigot or "against progress" Because we want iconography to be respected and not thrown and dismissed because "progress"

It's no different from wanting Spider-Man to still wear a red and blue or Vulture to have his wings.

Ah, there it is. The classic "if you don't like it, you can watch the old movies/read the comics" how about I watch this movie, Yeah? The movie is based on the SAME property so there are always going to be certain expectations and elements to be retained. That being said, I had no problem with Homecoming's diverse cast. BUT there were certain characters who I, as someone who has been reading the comics and cartoons for 22 years - would have preferred to stay their original race. Mary Jane is one of those characters and my main issue with her was the fact that she was nothing like MJ from past form of Spidey literature but yes, I wanted MJ to look the part too. And that does not make me (a black man) or ANYBODY ELSE a bigot or "against progress" Because we want iconography to be respected and not thrown and dismissed because "progress"

It's no different from wanting Spider-Man to still wear a red and blue or Vulture to have his wings.

Don't care.

Aaaaaaaanyyyywayyyyy I would really like a Spidey movie that takes place on Halloween. Doesn't necessarily have to be this one either, though a Halloween setting would do wonders for a Mysterio story. Anyone agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"