Far From Home Spider-Man: Far From Home General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

Emma Stone was perfectly cast...and she was easily the highlight. Costume was killer, for sure.

Costume was a killer indeed. Snapped Gwen's neck right in two.

Wisecracks doesn't make the character, honestly. He did quip, and maybe not as much as others, but personally I feel like that stuff can end up being a distraction in film. What was most important to me was how they portrayed Spider-Man's responsibilities, and the weight of the things he has to deal with. Thats more important to me than how many times he can insult a villain in a single fight. I get it, people love that stuff and love to laugh. its also something he did in the comics but its not the ONLY thing he did. The heart of Peter Parker is him doing the right thing despite not getting a single thing in return, and rarely if ever. There has to be consequences for his actions, and Raimi displayed that perfectly, especially in the first 2 films. Homecoming is a fun movie with lots of laughs, and thats all good, but "fun" and "laughter" isn't all that makes the character who he is. The core importance of Peter Parker is the stuff he has to deal with as both Peter and Spider-Man

I feel people often get him confused with deadpool these days, and thats just sad. Spider-Man is so much more than wisecracks.

Spider-Man's humor is an important part of the character but it isn't just about the wisecracks I agree. It also depends on how it is implemented. In ASM2 for example he decides to crack jokes instead of stopping Aleksei and we end up with people put in danger which is the opposite of what Spider-Man is about.

While Homecoming did a better job of this imo he came across too naive and it didn't work for me as much as I would have liked.

You’re not wrong, Spidey is more than just jokes. But the Spider-man persona is much more than just being funny. That’s like saying that “all that matters is Batman always does the right thing, it doesn’t matter if he’s grim and intense” (assuming we’re adapting the modern Bats).

There is a duality to Peter Parker and Spider-man, ESPECIALLY early Pete and Spider-man that is every bit as important to the character as the duality of Batman and Bruce Wayne. Spider-man isn’t just funny, he’s what Peter wishes he could be. A swashbuckling, wise cracking hero. Eventually, these personas merge as Pete grows older and finds more confidence in himself, but in the beginning it was a noticeable distinction. Heck, to the point that the Spider-man persona is part of the reason Uncle Ben gets killed. He was leaning too much into the confidence of Spidey and goes “not my problem.” As the mugger goes by.

That duality was never shown. Added to this, we also never got into Peter’s intellect nearly enough, and we didn’t see nearly enough growth. He’s still depicted as a painfully awkward, shy individual in college, even though by that point in the classic 616 run, Pete was far more confident, driving a motorcycle and actually quite popular. But viewed as flaky for always dipping out on his friends.

Raimi got the sacrifice part down, but most of the other things he slipped up on. Homecoming however, has hit both so far. It’s not perfect yet, but I’m looking forward to seeing how they grow the character in this film.

Homecoming has provided a good base of the duality to build on and I hope things improve with FFH. Still, imo, as far as media adaptations go, TSSM is the gold standard.

Great choice. :)

I see they're men of culture. My top 5 as of right now is both GOTG's, Ragnarok, Endgame and either Homecoming or the original Avengers. Far From Home has a massive shot at landing a place in it, though. Mysterio is the Spidey villain I've been wanting to see in a movie the most and I think Jake is perfectly cast as him, Spidey has always been my favorite hero and the reactions point towards top MCU. So yeah, the hype is real for me. LOL

Well, I'll probably go ghost from here on in. Good to see the reviews are exceedingly positive. All I will contribute is my Spidey faves in order:

1) Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.
It's the best. It just is.

2) Spider-Man 2.
Best live action.

3) Spider-man Homecoming
Best Spider-Man ever in the form of Tom Holland

4) Spider-Man
The first Spider-man film, and it lit a fire for Spider-Man movies that still burns because of it. In a day when big debuts are standard, this was the first to top 100 million opening weekend. Not Batman, not Superman, but Spider-Man. So...yeah. Everyone saw this film in the theater. Most people twice.

5) Amazing Spider-Man
I like it. Don't know why, but I do. Probably because Peter actually made stuff, and we had a redemptive Flash Thompson...who was totally ignored and forgotten in the sequel. Also, Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy was perfect.

6) Spider-Man 3
I didn't hate it, but it earned it's negativity.

7) Amazing Spider-Man 2
Sony finally went Super-Spoiler-Saiyan and unleashed every nugget, Easter egg, tease, character death, and major plot beat in the 30 minutes of footage they showed before the film debuted, and it killed what should have been a winning film. One of the BEST Spidey costumes, the most tangible chemistry between it's leads, and an Oscar winner playing the villain...and they made it into an endurance trial. Last place.

I mean, that's kinda exactly my opinion on all of them. LOL

Not a fan of Steve/Peggy?
I'm not. They were okay and people mostly love them because it ended tragic for them. But there wasn't much romance in the first avenger. At least for Tony/Pepper, we saw their whole journey together. I glad we're going to get some romance in Far From Home.

20190528_163326.gif

I'm surprised we haven't gotten any spoilers.

I thought they were both pretty bad. SSM’s Eddie/Venom remain the best interpretation of the character. Comics included.

Well considering Venom is a somewhat sub-par villain/product of the late, late 80's & 90's I had zero problem with Hardy's version. Seriously, the character has stayed alive throughout the years because of his cool and monstrous look and being the yang to Spider-Man's Yin basically. Other than that he's not deep or compelling. Mainly hype and visuals.

Hardy's fun and humorous performance elevated that movie from being quite bad. Not really bad but for the most part it was heavily generic and felt like it belonged in the 90's as far sci-fi/fantasy films go.

I understand if you felt the character could have been done better, all I'm saying is I never felt the character was as great and amazing as a large percentage of fans do. I grew up reading comics in the 90's too and even I don't have any type of nostalgia towards Venom.

Well considering Venom is a somewhat sub-par villain/product of the late, late 80's & 90's I had zero problem with Hardy's version. Seriously, the character has stayed alive throughout the years because of his cool and monstrous look and being the yang to Spider-Man's Yin basically. Other than that he's not deep or compelling. Mainly hype and visuals.

Hardy's fun and humorous performance elevated that movie from being quite bad. Not really bad but for the most part it was heavily generic and felt like it belonged in the 90's as far sci-fi/fantasy films go.

I understand if you felt the character could have been done better, all I'm saying is I never felt the character was as great and amazing as a large percentage of fans do. I grew up reading comics in the 90's too and even I don't have any type of nostalgia towards Venom.

Oh, his original inception in the comics was pretty lame. He only continued because his design was really cool and he was intimidating.

However, subsequent cartoons significantly improved upon him to the point that there was no excuse for the wasted potential. TSSM version of Eddie/Venom is a great character, one I would love to see in live action some day.

And to me, yeah Hardy was kinda funny, but I’d put that film in Ghost Rider territory. Horrid story, with some laughs. Many unintentional.

I've seen a couple of critics say that the movie does address (to some extent) the fallout of the Unsnap, which is good. I just hope it's done well

Lol no that one did live up to the hype, for most people.

That's kind of the issue though, isn't it? Every MCU movie gets the same initial hyperbolic praise. It's becoming a joke.

Considering they always deliver after the praise, joke is not the right word. "Reassuring" is the word I'd use.

The 90s series is what I grew up on and made me fall in love with the character. Nothing will ever top that show. In the future when I have kids I’ll be showing them that show over and over again.

The 90s series is what I grew up on and made me fall in love with the character. Nothing will ever top that show. In the future when I have kids I’ll be showing them that show over and over again.

I grew up with that one too, and I love it as well, but TSSM took it’s place for me. And nothing against the 90s toon, SSM was just that good. It was on par to be the next BTAS if it hadn’t been cancelled early :(

Considering they always deliver after the praise, joke is not the right word. "Reassuring" is the word I'd use.
No it's a joke. People were trying to predict exactly what the reviewers would say because they always say the same things, no matter the quality of the movie.

It's become a joke and it's funny and you'll have to deal with it.

No it's a joke. People were trying to predict exactly what the reviewers would say because they always say the same things, no matter the quality of the movie.

The actual quality of the movies are always regarded as fairly consistent regardless of that chip on your shoulder.

Last edited:
Except I don't think Captain Marvel is a bad movie. Marvel Studios have never made a bad movie. Even the ones I dislike are not bad. This isn't about the quality of the movies, it's about how predictably hyperbolic early reactions for every MCU movie are.

People are allowed to make fun of Marvel Studios. Deal with it.

Except I don't think Captain Marvel is a bad movie. Marvel Studios have never made a bad movie. Even the ones I dislike are not bad. This isn't about the quality of the movies, it's about how predictably hyperbolic early reactions for every MCU movie are.

Then why’d you say “regardless of quality”?

People act like hyperbolic early buzz is unique to Marvel lol.

People are allowed to make fun of Marvel Studios. Deal with it.

Deal with your weirdly aggressive tone?

Last edited:
Then why’d you say “regardless of quality”?
You're right, every MCU movie is of the same quality.

Deal with your weirdly aggressive tone?
You're right, I apologize for starting this argument.

Oh wait a minute, I did not. I merely made an observation about movie pundits, and someone felt the urge to remind me just how much everyone loves Marvel Studios, for some reason.

Dude was a returning PBU, so he was banned again. I am not sure if posts were legit, but in future guys remember, this is a tag your spoilers zone in this thread.

It's not...tough

Michael Giacchino released 2 tracks from the OST.
It's set to come out June 28th.
Loving the Mysterio theme.

Michael Giacchino released 2 tracks from the OST.
It's set to come out June 28th.
Loving the Mysterio theme.

Dude. That Mysterio theme. Exceeded my expectations. If the section I think is right.
It's triumphantly and theatrically villainous and deceiving, with some tech-y colors. I love it.

I like the new love theme for Peter and MJ. I'm glad it's different than the one Giacchino wrote for Peter and Liz. Also, it has some of the same vibes of the Peter and MJ love themes from Danny Elfman and Christopher Young for Raimi.

And yeah, that Mysterio theme is killer. The new rendition of Spidey's theme sounds a little off.

‘Spider-Man: Far from Home’ Soundtrack Details | Film Music Reporter

Sony Classical will release a soundtrack album for Marvel Studios’ Spider-Man: Far from Home. The album features the film’s original music composed by Academy Award winner Michael Giacchino (Up, Lost, Star Trek, Jurassic World, Ratatouille, The Incredibles, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story) who previously scored Marvel’s Spider-Man: Homecoming and Doctor Strange. The soundtrack will be released on June 28, 2019. The CD version will be available for pre-order here within the next few days. Spider-Man: Far from Home is directed by Jon Watts and stars Tom Holland, Samuel L. Jackson, Zendaya, Cobie Smulders, Jon Favreau, JB Smoove, Jacob Batalon, Martin Starr, Marisa Tomei and Jake Gyllenhaal. The movie will be released in theaters nationwide on July 2 by Sony Pictures. Visit the official movie website for updates.

Here’s the album track list:

1. Far From Home Suite Home

2. It’s Perfect

3. World’s Worst Water Feature

4. Multiple Realities

5. Brad to the Drone

6. Change of Plans

7. Night Monkey Knows How to Do It

8. Mr. One Hundred and One

9. Prague Rocked

10. Who’s Behind Those Foster Grants

11. Power to the People

12. Personal Hijinks

13. Praguenosis: BAD

14. A Lot of ‘Splaining to Do

15. The Magical Mysterio Tour

16. Taking the Gullible Express / Spidey Sensitive

17. Gloom and Doom

18. High and Flighty

19. An Internal Battle

20. Happy Landings

21. Tower of Cower

22. Bridging the Trap

23. Bridge and Love’s Burning

24. Swinging Set

25. And Now This…

I love Giacchino's puns. Far From Home Suite Home, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"