Spider-Man: Far From Home General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

Discussion in 'Spider-Man: Far From Home' started by Thread Manager, Aug 17, 2018.

1. shinlyle

shinlyle King of the Haters

Well, I'll probably go ghost from here on in. Good to see the reviews are exceedingly positive. All I will contribute is my Spidey faves in order:

1) Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.
    It's the best. It just is.

2) Spider-Man 2.
    Best live action.

3) Spider-man Homecoming
    Best Spider-Man ever in the form of Tom Holland

4) Spider-Man
    The first Spider-man film, and it lit a fire for Spider-Man movies that still burns because of it. In a day when big debuts are standard, this was the first to top 100 million opening weekend. Not Batman, not Superman, but Spider-Man. So...yeah. Everyone saw this film in the theater. Most people twice.

5) Amazing Spider-Man
    I like it. Don't know why, but I do. Probably because Peter actually made stuff, and we had a redemptive Flash Thompson...who was totally ignored and forgotten in the sequel. Also, Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy was perfect.

6) Spider-Man 3
    I didn't hate it, but it earned it's negativity.

7) Amazing Spider-Man 2
    Sony finally went Super-Spoiler-Saiyan and unleashed every nugget, Easter egg, tease, character death, and major plot beat in the 30 minutes of footage they showed before the film debuted, and it killed what should have been a winning film. One of the BEST Spidey costumes, the most tangible chemistry between it's leads, and an Oscar winner playing the villain...and they made it into an endurance trial. Last place.

CK Spider likes this.
  2. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

When does the embargo lift?

3. SaulGoodman

SaulGoodman Registered

To me, it's only the raimi movies (even the spider-man 3, venom is a lot better than Tom Hardy's one) with spider-verse. It's comic booky as ****, drama, fun and epic with real characters development. Looks like a fable to me. What happen next is no match for Raimi Movies. Homecoming totally forgot the drama of the character to be just a stupid comedy to be just a casual (i heard jon watts took inspiration from John Hughes movies, these are not just comedy) where the raimi movies tried to be greater. Yeah Spidey makes jokes in some comics but it's deeper than that.

4. shinlyle

I loved Homecoming...and the high school stuff. It reminded me of the GOOD issues of Ultimate Spider-Man. Also, watching Peter dissing the hot girl at his school that he really likes to go and basically take down her dad, knowing it will destroy her, because it is the RIGHT thing to do....that is classic Peter Parker all the way.

Tymminator likes this.
  5. SaulGoodman

SaulGoodman Registered

guess i'm more of an adult Peter Parker but i loved the stan lee/ditko run and ultimates where i really feel the struggle of Peter. I found homecoming lacks a lot of ambition, looks like a tv movie deluxe, not a great movie as the raimi's one.

6. Infinity9999x

Infinity9999x Registered

Goblin was truer to his comic book personality than Ock (even though the look wasn’t great), there was less of the overly corny humor that I didn’t find to work very well (lots of “look at how nerrrrdy Peter is!” scenes I found to be excessive) and I thought they gave Spider-man a few more funny lines...but to be fair it’s very sparse in both.

But to be honest, a lot of the things SM2 does wrong SM1 does as well. I gave SM1 more of a pass because it was the first Spidey movie and I was a kid, and because I expect SM2 to improve upon some of the issues I felt SM1 was lacking in. Instead of improving though, it doubled down on the things I didn’t like, which is why I found it to be a much more disappointing movie experience. And why FFH doesn’t have a high bar to pass to bear SM2.

Now, to pass Spiderverse? That’s another story altogether.

shinlyle and Tymminator like this.
  7. Infinity9999x

Infinity9999x Registered

X-men, and to a lesser extent, Blade, deserve credit for showing the movie studios comic properties could still make money. Studios tend to take the wrong lessons from failed films, and they all settled on “people don’t like superheroes anymore” after Batman and Robin, instead of realizing that, no, people just don’t like bad films. X-men showed that a film that was blatantly about a comic property (most general audience didn’t know Blade was a comic book character) could be successful. And the. SM1 came along and proved that not only could they make money, they could make a LOT of money, and still be overly comic-booky. But they both deserve credit for starting the superhero boom.

Completely agreed, and why HC is my #1 live action.

Tymminator likes this.
  8. Gothamsknight

Gothamsknight Registered

Both Spider-Man (2002) and Spider-Man 2 (2004) capture the character and his surrounding world better than Homecoming did, in my opinion. I've gone over this argument multiple times, so I won't again, but I feel Raimi captured the spirit of the character better than the MCU. Spider-Man 2 is still my fave Spidey film of all time by far. I still like homecoming, and Holland is awesome, but yeah.

AVEITWITHJAMON and Neno_Kos like this.
  9. Schlosser85

Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

Tom Holland, IMO, is waaaaaaay more "Peter Parker" than Tobey Maguire ever was, but I agree about the wonky versions of supporting characters and Homecoming's gee-whiz comedy and lack of emotional depth. Also I felt like they retroactively made Peter more bumbling and less capable than he was in Civil War for comedic effect.

10. Infinity9999x

Infinity9999x Registered

Yeah, I feel pretty much the opposite. Raimi never got the spirit of the main characters down. Homecoming got Spidey/Peter right, but some of the side characters were wonky.

Which I personally prefer over missing the mark on some of the main elements of the mythos.

Tymminator likes this.
  11. shinlyle

Well, at least everyone is arguing over valid and debatable points. No one stormed in here screaming that "DUDE, Jamie Fox killed it as Max Dillon, and I loved hearing Peter moan about his parents for 2 hours" in the Amazing Spider-Man 2. Spider-peeps got good taste.

12. MasterBoss

MasterBoss Registered

Think simple.

13. Infinity9999x

Infinity9999x Registered

TASM2 had a good costume, and Emma Stone is good. And that’s all I have to say about that.

UltimateWebhead and shinlyle like this.
  14. Infinity9999x

Infinity9999x Registered

Guys, watch it with the tags please.

15. ImSGirl95

ImSGirl95 Doreen Green

Aside from those two things, what else could it be?

16. MovieSlave

MovieSlave Registered

I do think Homecoming could have used more drama and less humor but you're wrong when you say "Spidey makes jokes in some comics". He makes jokes in every comic, it's what he's known for. Don't downplay it.

Everyone has a right to like this or that version of something over another but I can't wrap my head around the fact you think Grace's Venom in Spider-Man 3 was better than Hardy's. Other than Hardy's version not being a villain from the get go I think it was leaps and bounds better than Grace's take.

I Am The Knight likes this.
  17. shinlyle

Emma Stone was perfectly cast...and she was easily the highlight. Costume was killer, for sure.

UltimateWebhead likes this.
  18. Infinity9999x

Infinity9999x Registered

I thought they were both pretty bad. SSM’s Eddie/Venom remain the best interpretation of the character. Comics included.

UltimateWebhead, doink and shinlyle like this.
  19. roxas99

roxas99 Registered

yeah I have disagree with you on that one

I love Sam Rami films just as much as the next person and I grew up with them but Tobey never captured the spirit Spider-man at all. His Peter Parker was good and that is what made those old films work but his Spider-man might as well have been a completely different character from the one in the comics

His spider-man was quiet and rarely told jokes when he the fought bad guys.
    Instead of being smart enough to create his own web shooters a spider bite gave him organic web
    In his fights he was way more ruthless than comic spider-man. rewatching spider-man 2 I was surprised at how many times spider-man was actively trying to straight murder doc ock lol

he was not the annoying trash talker the we all know in love in the comics

20. Gothamsknight

Gothamsknight Registered

Wisecracks doesn't make the character, honestly. He did quip, and maybe not as much as others, but personally I feel like that stuff can end up being a distraction in film. What was most important to me was how they portrayed Spider-Man's responsibilities, and the weight of the things he has to deal with. Thats more important to me than how many times he can insult a villain in a single fight. I get it, people love that stuff and love to laugh. its also something he did in the comics but its not the ONLY thing he did. The heart of Peter Parker is him doing the right thing despite not getting a single thing in return, and rarely if ever. There has to be consequences for his actions, and Raimi displayed that perfectly, especially in the first 2 films. Homecoming is a fun movie with lots of laughs, and thats all good, but "fun" and "laughter" isn't all that makes the character who he is. The core importance of Peter Parker is the stuff he has to deal with as both Peter and Spider-Man

I feel people often get him confused with deadpool these days, and thats just sad. Spider-Man is so much more than wisecracks.

#3145 Gothamsknight, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  21. roxas99

roxas99 Registered

wow I can believe some on here are trying to downplay Comic Spider-Man humor. Spider-Man did not joke around in "some comics" he jokes around in almost every comic

Comic Spider-Man jokes around way more than tobey or holland and that never stopped him from being a far deeper character than both of them combined.

Holy Slapper likes this.
  22. Gothamsknight

Gothamsknight Registered

Because that doesn't define the character. Tell me, would the train scene in Spider-Man 2 still be as powerful if he was joking the whole time?

23. Nathan

Nathan Registered

In all honestly, it would have probably been even more powerful. Because when the constant jokester suddely shuts up, you know things are really dire.

I Am The Knight likes this.
  24. Infinity9999x

Infinity9999x Registered

You’re not wrong, Spidey is more than just jokes. But the Spider-man persona is much more than just being funny. That’s like saying that “all that matters is Batman always does the right thing, it doesn’t matter if he’s grim and intense” (assuming we’re adapting the modern Bats).

There is a duality to Peter Parker and Spider-man, ESPECIALLY early Pete and Spider-man that is every bit as important to the character as the duality of Batman and Bruce Wayne. Spider-man isn’t just funny, he’s what Peter wishes he could be. A swashbuckling, wise cracking hero. Eventually, these personas merge as Pete grows older and finds more confidence in himself, but in the beginning it was a noticeable distinction. Heck, to the point that the Spider-man persona is part of the reason Uncle Ben gets killed. He was leaning too much into the confidence of Spidey and goes “not my problem.” As the mugger goes by.

That duality was never shown. Added to this, we also never got into Peter’s intellect nearly enough, and we didn’t see nearly enough growth. He’s still depicted as a painfully awkward, shy individual in college, even though by that point in the classic 616 run, Pete was far more confident, driving a motorcycle and actually quite popular. But viewed as flaky for always dipping out on his friends.

Raimi got the sacrifice part down, but most of the other things he slipped up on. Homecoming however, has hit both so far. It’s not perfect yet, but I’m looking forward to seeing how they grow the character in this film.

Shuri, shinlyle, Nathan and 1 other person like this.
  25. roxas99

roxas99 Registered

but spiderman being wise cracking jokester does define his character
    that is who he is and removing that part of his character in the sam raimi films never set right with me

long before there was ever a spider-man movie this was who spider-man was to me

this was the spider-man I grew up with

JOE likes this.