Far From Home Spider-Man: Far From Home General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

I was lying to myself when TASM2 came out, trying to bargain away all the trash in it by saying "Spidey was fun and the costume was nice, Gwen was good, I liked the score, the movie looked nice, Gwen's death though" until I finally accepted how it was just really bad and I was trying to avoid that realization haha. I still do enjoy those things about it but now with Spidey having had better cinematic luck since I can watch TASM2 and laugh about it instead of bargaining with myself because the movies were going down the toilet. :oldrazz:

Pass me the other oar, please :oldrazz:

I don't think they need to. Sony was in a rush to get Sinister Six going back in the day because they were franchise-antsy, but I'd imagine Marvel realizes they can keep making moderate-scale films soaked in shared universe appeal without going crazy with villains and they'll still be above-average successes. Even if they were heading that way, I think they'd take their time to get there and it wouldn't be the current trilogy's priority.

I wouldn't mind it much if they did, though. The Sinister Six are always a cool thought.

Apparently I'm the only person that has 0 interest in the Sinister Six appearing in a Spidey flick. If it happens, fine. But I don't want that more than any other thing.

What do you guys think is the reason for Sinister Six?

#1 Marvel wants to play around with Spidey villains and Sinister Six would be a natural outcome.

#2 Sony wanted Sinister Six to happen for some time already, and Marvel decided "sure, we can do that eventually".

#3 Marvel wants to use as many of Spidey's villains as possible before Sony takes them off the table for their own universe/spinoffs/villain-led movies.

I have a feeling that it's probably #2.

Personally, ASM1 and Homecoming are on par for me at a 7.5. The complaints about the CGI are rather interesting considering Homecoming's.

I mean....you were indeed being hyperbolic with your comparison. Like Krypton Inc said, it's ok if you don't like the design or the cgi used, but come on...it's leagues better than that Dr Smith CGI.

Agreed, I don't like the TASM films but I will admit that the CGI was decent if not pretty great at times, especially the school fight.

Sigh....I hope we get to see the Lizard again one day. :( He's one of my fav Spidey villains.

I'm glad I'm not the only to appreciate the school fight. It felt like it was pulled right out of Spectacular Spider-man. The Stan Lee cameo was also great.

I don't think they need to. Sony was in a rush to get Sinister Six going back in the day because they were franchise-antsy, but I'd imagine Marvel realizes they can keep making moderate-scale films soaked in shared universe appeal without going crazy with villains and they'll still be above-average successes. Even if they were heading that way, I think they'd take their time to get there and it wouldn't be the current trilogy's priority.

Sony were eager to have their own team movie and so Sinister 6 seemed like their one to go for.

As for Marvel i wouldn't be shocked if the 3rd film is the Sinister 6. we also don't know whether there will ever be a 4th spider-man movie because marvel hasn't made any 4th movies so far, not even iron man whose the anchor of this universe.

Although they will probably throw in 2 other MCU characters in the 3rd movie to help spider-man with the sinister 6.

Really it could end up being Sony involvement that makes Marvel do a 4th movie since if Marvel are not making spider-man movies then they ain't making money and the deal gets abit mute at that point.

They do like a soft reboot. After the third movie peter could be older and in college. Tbh it all depends on how the mcu goes.

Whatever Sony does beyond the MCU deal has to distinguish itself from that franchise.

Unless they put together a Marvel/Netflix type scenario where they continue making Tom Holland Spider-Man films, and they *technically* take place in the MCU, but do not reference or have anything to do with the events of other movies. I don't know if that would ever happen though.

But I think Sinister Six is a logical direction to move in. Otherwise what else are these movies building up to? We can't go back and do something like the Death of Gwen Stacy storyline, since TASM already handled that (poorly). I feel like Sinister Six could be an amazing event film that would be a great way to end the series (if needed) in case the Spider-Man MCU series does not continue. Just my thoughts.

I'd much prefer Marvel focus on making a great Spider-man film instead of a flashy one. I doubt a Sinister 6 movie would have much substance. I'm not saying they shouldn't make one, but I'd prefer them to do after the current trilogy.

I'd much prefer Marvel focus on making a great Spider-man film instead of a flashy one. I doubt a Sinister 6 movie would have much substance. I'm not saying they shouldn't make one, but I'd prefer them to do after the current trilogy.
I don't see any reason why a S6 film couldn't have substance. Especially with all of the villains being developed in the previous films.

I don't see any reason why a S6 film couldn't have substance. Especially with all of the villains being developed in the previous films.

If Marvel is doing a trilogy, then there is no way they can fully flesh out six villains in three films. I'd prefer something more contained with a strong focus on character versus world building. If Marvel is doing more than a trilogy, then I'd be fine with it.

Hmm, not every character has to be fully fleshed out. I would say you need at least 3 very strong lead villains (e.g. Vulture and Mysterio), and the other 3 can be smaller recurring villains throughout the series (e.g. Shocker, Scorpion). There would also be room to develop those characters in the S6 film itself.

Also... not every Avenger had a lot of development by the time the first film came out. Hawkeye and Black Widow were not fleshed out at all.

My point is that it can be done.

I'd prefer something more contained with a strong focus on character versus world building

Well there isn't much worldbuilding in this current spider-man anyway because the MCU is a big part of this incarnation of spider-man. its not so much about spider-mans world, its about what he offers to the MCU and that world.

When it comes to setting up other spider-man villains in a big way it really comes down to the spider-man gallery vs his integration into the already populated MCU.

Unless they put together a Marvel/Netflix type scenario where they continue making Tom Holland Spider-Man films, and they *technically* take place in the MCU, but do not reference or have anything to do with the events of other movies. I don't know if that would ever happen though.

The problem there would be if Spider-Man then stopped appearing in Avengers movies due to scheduling conflicts. People would be asking where he is whenever Doctor Doom/Galactus/insert big bad here is fighting the Avengers.

Has Gyllenhaal been spotted near the set again at all since that one photo of him near London?

The problem there would be if Spider-Man then stopped appearing in Avengers movies due to scheduling conflicts. People would be asking where he is whenever Doctor Doom/Galactus/insert big bad here is fighting the Avengers.

This is a moot point. People were already saying that post Avengers so nothing new there.

Last edited:
Yes but now Spider-Man is actually in the mcu and working with the avengers so it’s not moot

Doesn't mean he couldn't stop working with The Avengers.

After all at this point it seems like the Avengers is getting kinda crowded.

Last edited:
Spider-Man is not usually working with the Avengers in the comics, so I think they could come up with something to explain that he is focusing more on street level crime.

Yes but now Spider-Man is actually in the mcu and working with the avengers so it’s not moot

They weren't because Spider-Man wasn't a part of the MCU then.

*sigh*

I was referring to the actual Avengers (Cap, Tony, Thor). After Avengers 1 came out, a certain percentage of fans complained about the Avengers not showing up in Iron Man 3, The Dark World and Winter Soldier. I was not one of them mind you but there were people that brought this up.

Plus you have the inevitable post Avengers 4 talk of people speculating where the OG members are (granted one of them may die but I doubt all them will).

In short I think its easier to explain Spideys absence than other characters.

Last edited:
Spider-Man IMDB ratings:

Spider-Man: Homecoming 7.5
Spider-Man 2 7.3
Spider-Man 7.3
The Amazing Spider-Man 7.0
Amazing Spider-Man 2 6.7
Spider-Man 3 6.3

Do you agree with these rankings? Is Homecoming the best Spider-Man film?

Spider-Man IMDB ratings:

Spider-Man 2 7.3
Spider-Man 7.3
Amazing Spider-Man 2 6.7
Spider-Man 3 6.3

Yeah, I think so. It was the movie that got Peter the most right, it was the most fun to watch, and it had one of the greatest portrayals by a villain.

Spider-Man IMDB ratings:

Spider-Man 2 7.3
Spider-Man 7.3
Amazing Spider-Man 2 6.7
Spider-Man 3 6.3

I think Spider-Man 2 is the best, I don't agree that Homecoming is the best film. I think even Spider-Man 3 gets the shaft on those rankings, ASM2 should be well below it because it's trash but that's IMDB for ya.

Edit: I'm sure Far From Home will be another fun, swell movie, but I think just with the premise of taking Spidey out of his usual setting (like they're visibly trying to shake things up so it doesn't get stale) it doesn't give it the best chance of being a definitive Spidey story, if that makes sense. To me the things that really work about SM2 and Homecoming are the focus on Peter's day to day struggles living his life in his town and there's good cinematic representation of those essential Spidey tropes. Taking him across Europe for a movie feels like a novelty thing at first to me, a fun one, but still. Now if there's meaningful narrative ties for Peter to the Europe setting that's it's own thing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"