Spider-Man (PS4) - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I think it would be only limiting to tie this to spectacular's canon, as much as I love that show. This fresh take is what i love the most about this game

Since there's nothing to talk about really... I found this special that aired on MTV in 2004 for the Spider-Man 2 game has been on YouTube (but with annoying Russian voiceover). I remember I taped this special when it aired originally.

It's weird to remember how much coverage that game got before it came out, I mean you likely wouldn't see that happening today for this game anywhere.

[YT]0JkCsDDwwGY[/YT]

Spectacular Spider-Man was a show from a decade ago that only went on for 2 seasons. It would not have been a good move to makes this game a tie in today considering that property hasnt been relevant in quite some time. Had Sony and/or Marvel revived it in some fashion whether it be comics, animated shorts or other content, then maybe but really, this game had little to no chance of being connected to it. It is for the best that it is an original adaptation that requires no prior knowledge of a show that most gamers that will play this, likely have never watched. It really wouldnt have made sense

I disagree that it would be a bad move. I think fans would be really excited at the reveal and it doesn’t matter how long ago the series ended because sequels sometimes take almost a decade to be released anyway

as much as I liked Spectacular and would have loved to see it continue/finish, this game would not have been the appropriate medium.

the only way for that to have worked is if the game was part of a larger "revival" effort surrounding Spectacular to rekindle interest in that show.

meaning, they would be bringing back the show now, in the lead up to the game. maybe also a comic line. plus the game itself.

I disagree that it would be a bad move. I think fans would be really excited at the reveal and it doesn’t matter how long ago the series ended because sequels sometimes take almost a decade to be released anyway

Im sure the fans of SSM would appreciate it Sony is trying to appeal to a wider audience here. Tying it to that show limits Insomniac's creativity in terms of aesthetics, characters, story, etc.... Thats not a good move. And for what? They shouldnt be chasing after the fanbase of a shortlived show from 10 years ago. The most anyone should reasonably expect to see is an Easter Egg or unlockable costume

Im sure the fans of SSM would appreciate it Sony is trying to appeal to a wider audience here. Tying it to that show limits Insomniac's creativity in terms of aesthetics, characters, story, etc.... Thats not a good move. And for what? They shouldnt be chasing after the fanbase of a shortlived show from 10 years ago. The most anyone should reasonably expect to see is an Easter Egg or unlockable costume
Sony doesn't have to try to appeal to a wider audience. It's a video game about Spiderman, one of the most popular superheroes, exclusive to the Ps4, the most popular console. Honestly, during development if they did at some point announce that it was canon to the spectacular spiderman cartoon, I don't think anyone would show disappointment ultimately. The plot is one aspect of the big picture

It being canon to that cartoon doesn't add anything the game, and most of the people buying this game wouldn't care. Imo

It being canon to that cartoon doesn't add anything the game, and most of the people buying this game wouldn't care. Imo

that's true most people wouldn't care but it would be icing for those who are interested and also wanted closure on the other series. but it being a new iteration doesn't add anything to the game either

It being a completely separate from any other interpretation adds plenty. It's not bound by restrictions through story or characterization. It doesn't need to follow any preset conventions, it gives the creators free range to create and twist things be it for better or worse of the characters. It would be like Batman arkham being canon to the animated series, it wouldn't make sense and it wouldn't add anything extra to the experience.

It being a completely separate from any other interpretation adds plenty. It's not bound by restrictions through story or characterization. It doesn't need to follow any preset conventions, it gives the creators free range to create and twist things be it for better or worse of the characters. It would be like Batman arkham being canon to the animated series, it wouldn't make sense and it wouldn't add anything extra to the experience.
It being a continuation of the cartoon adds plenty too, in that case. It adds context, it adds backstory, it adds to a narrative that was never completed. The Batman animated series was very long running and didn't have a short history like the Spectacular Spiderman cartoon. Fun fact though, I think for 3 out of the 4 installments, Kevin Conroy voiced Batman

The fact that this game is crafting its own unique world for Spider-Man and what we've seen of it so far is one of the most exciting things about this project to me. It feels like there's a lot of interesting avenues to explore being unfettered by any ties to any preexisting Spider-Man stuff.

It's cool we've got a 23 year old Spider-Man fresh out of college and in a new job, Mary Jane works at the Daily Bugle and they're close in some way, she knows he's Spider-Man. Aunt May works at the FEAST center and Peter somehow knows high schooler Miles Morales. Norman Osborn has been mayor for a full term already and is campaigning for reelection. Just think, Harry probably running Oscorp, and judging from the 2016 footage it looks like there may be a big action set piece at Oscorp. Kingpin is the big boss in NY's crime scene and Spidey finally takes him down cause he's a skilled crimefighter now, but Fisk's absence leaves a power vacuum in the criminal underworld. We know from easter eggs that Shocker was released from prison on parole, then returns to his criminal ways for one reason or another. There's so much stuff to bite into and we don't know how it all connects.

Just think, what villains has this Spider-Man encountered in his 8 years as a superhero? Has Norman Osborn been the Green Goblin before? Has he always been fine? Is there a Gwen Stacy around that's still alive? There's so many different things that could be done with all the freedom this project has and it feels exciting and fresh given what we've seen so far.

I love Spectacular Spider-Man but I'm so glad Insomniac is making this their own.

Last edited:
oh, really?? Sony owns exclusive gaming rights to Spidey?

I didn't know that.

They do.

Marvel is probably fully aware that the spectacular Spider-Man was critically acclaimed. We don’t know all the fine details of creative control for this Ps4 game, but between Sony/Disney decision making I still think it’s a missed opportunity

We know that Insomniac was given creative freedom to craft something original. That was in fact the mission statement from Marvel Games in how they want to proceed in the future. Hire the absolute best developers in the industry and let them do their thing.

I don't get the feeling Insomniac would want to do anything but it's own spin here.

We know that Insomniac was given creative freedom to craft something original. That was in fact the mission statement from Marvel Games in how they want to proceed in the future. Hire the absolute best developers in the industry and let them do their thing.

I don't get the feeling Insomniac would want to do anything but it's own spin here.
Insomniac has worked with Sony numerous times, if Sony brought up the idea of continuing the SS arc, I don't think Insomniac would immediately turn it away

Insomniac has worked with Sony numerous times, if Sony brought up the idea of continuing the SS arc, I don't think Insomniac would immediately turn it away
They wouldn't maybe immediately turn it away, but, when you've got a whole new team and you're suddenly forcing them to creatively confirm to another's work, that can be a sour note.

As others have said, Insomniac has the freedom to start from the ground up, craft their own world that will function as a launching pad for a new generation of Marvel games. They want to tell their stories their own way, but tying it to a show from so long ago invites problems.

I LOVE Spectacular and it was the last Spidey show I watched and cared about, but you're missing the bigger picture.

If they tied it to SS, they're limited to the show's continuity and machinations. (Heck, they may feel uncomfortable stepping on Wiseman and co's toes for such a thing.) This is a 23yr old Spidey and they may have completely structured his life differently from what SS established. What if Harry never became the Goblin in this, or they want a more comic styled origin of Eddie Brock, what if instead of Tombstone being responsible for certain events, they put in the Kingpin earlier to establish how big and long of a threat he is thus making it such a HUGE deal that he's brought down in the trailer of the game.

By making a brand new team have to adapt to an old work, you put a ceiling on their creativity. I'm a voice actor, so here's an example of creatives being boxed in:

Let's just say in a million to one chance, I get a chance to voice the Joker in the next cartoon show, or to keep things Spider-man related, I land the role of Hobgoblin or Venom, but with the stipulation that for Hobby, I have to voice him like Mark Hamil did in the 90s show, the show wouldn't have anything to do with the old show, it's just that the director loved that version of Hobby. That immediately boxes me into doing a subpar imitation of a grand voice actor and doesn't let me craft my own vocal interpretation of Hobby.

It's like getting free reign to make a modern Spider-man movie, but then getting told, they have to match certain things to the Raimi or Amazing continuity?

We don't have a lot of details on the story, but again, they're pushing for a young, but experienced Spidey. They've mapped what his internal history is and they may have certain villains appearing earlier or later and having different relationships.

In SS Norman was responsible for Rhino, Sandman and Doc Ock. What if they want to go for more comic origins for them in this? What if the Lizard only appears now and for story purposes it's to test Pete's maturity; having a 23 year old PS4 Spidey has him wanting to take a more measured approach in solving the case, learning he's Connors, curing him and protecting his family from a potential sinister force. 15 year old PS4 Spidey may have mostly fought mobsters and lower level Kingpin goons successfully, but then gets walloped hard by the Enforcers and Daredevil and others help him turn the tide. You couldn't have characters like Daredevil or Luke Cage showing up in SS, so why bar them from being part of this origin?

In launching a huge new direction for Marvel Interactive entertainment, Marvel doesn't want to take any chances, they want absolute freedom for this team they're bringing in. They want them to put their own stamp on things and go for the gold.

Insomniac is getting full autonomy so they're going to make things the way they want and don't have to budget time and money in going back, researching the way that Spectacular's seasons went down, don't have to look at legality with adapting any potential lingering rights, and here's a big one:

Bringing fans and new players up to speed.

Spectacular is one of my favourite cartoons and my fav Spider-man show. Yet it's been ages since I last saw the show, so they'll have to do something to catch up the audience and inform new fans of what happened on the show, what's happened in the 8 years since season 2 ended, etc. That's asking a lot of Insomniac.

If anything Sony would have preferred something closely resembling their MCU Spider-Man and not a cartoon from years past. I’m sure that was a major factor in producing this game. Spider-Man was way less relevant before he was introduced in the MCU. The amazing Spider-Man was dull. Now he’s back to one of the top marketable characters they have.

Last edited:
Shockdingo...that was an excellent post and sums up exactly why this game shouldnt be used as a Spectacular revival. Honestly if that were to ever happen, it should be in a comic and/or animated movie, not this videogame

tying a new Spidey game to Spectacular would be like tying a new Superman game to Smallville.

as much as I love Spectacular and Smallville, both shows are a decade old ( or close to ) and are no longer "relevant" so to speak.

if they wanted to make games based on those properties, they should have done so while those shows were airing, or shortly after.

not now, a decade later.

it would make more sense to make a new Spidey game based on MCU Spidey or the current Spidey comics and even that new Disney Spidey show.

exactly. especially because it's a different medium. Creating a fresh interpretation having in mind that it's a video game is ultimately better. not that it's undoable with spectacular's setting, but this way it has more of an energy. And the fact that this is the first serious try for a big Spider-man videogame, it needs that fresh energy

I'd imagine all Spidey games going forward will be Sony exclusives. They now own the gaming rights completely, so it makes sense they are going to use it to benefit their consoles.

If you read about the corporate reorganization that is happening at Sony, you'll find that PlayStation exclusives are going to be a major priority moving forward for the company.

They don't own the game rights, they merely funded the development of the title with Insomniac being the developer for them (means they probably also own that version of Spidey). Nothing stops Marvel from making other Spidey games with other developers or publishers.

As for the Spectacular Spidey story continuation, wishful thinking by SS fans. I'm sure no one at Sony, Insomniac or Marvel even gave that idea a second of thought. You overestimate the SS cartoon, it was canned for a reason back then and not revived by Disney later on. You don't meddle in a world created by someone else, it drastically reduces your creative scope. Starting from scratch in a blank world you can fill is every game developers dream, that's exactly what we're getting with this game.

The version they created looks pretty good and Insomniac makes good games any ways. I really can’t wait to get my hands on this game.

They don't own the game rights, they merely funded the development of the title with Insomniac being the developer for them (means they probably also own that version of Spidey). Nothing stops Marvel from making other Spidey games with other developers or publishers.

No, Marvel ultimately owns the game rights in perpetuity and can choose which developers they want to work with, but in the current deal future Spidey games will be made exclusively for the PS4 with Insomniac.

"However, don’t expect to see Spider-Man games from multiple developers on multiple platforms. Sony and Insomniac have exclusive rights to Spider-Man games for the time being...."

https://www.primagames.com/games/spider-man/feature/new-details-marvel-games-and-sonys-spider-man

Last edited:
They wouldn't maybe immediately turn it away, but, when you've got a whole new team and you're suddenly forcing them to creatively confirm to another's work, that can be a sour note.

As others have said, Insomniac has the freedom to start from the ground up, craft their own world that will function as a launching pad for a new generation of Marvel games. They want to tell their stories their own way, but tying it to a show from so long ago invites problems.

I LOVE Spectacular and it was the last Spidey show I watched and cared about, but you're missing the bigger picture.

If they tied it to SS, they're limited to the show's continuity and machinations. (Heck, they may feel uncomfortable stepping on Wiseman and co's toes for such a thing.) This is a 23yr old Spidey and they may have completely structured his life differently from what SS established. What if Harry never became the Goblin in this, or they want a more comic styled origin of Eddie Brock, what if instead of Tombstone being responsible for certain events, they put in the Kingpin earlier to establish how big and long of a threat he is thus making it such a HUGE deal that he's brought down in the trailer of the game.

By making a brand new team have to adapt to an old work, you put a ceiling on their creativity. I'm a voice actor, so here's an example of creatives being boxed in:

Let's just say in a million to one chance, I get a chance to voice the Joker in the next cartoon show, or to keep things Spider-man related, I land the role of Hobgoblin or Venom, but with the stipulation that for Hobby, I have to voice him like Mark Hamil did in the 90s show, the show wouldn't have anything to do with the old show, it's just that the director loved that version of Hobby. That immediately boxes me into doing a subpar imitation of a grand voice actor and doesn't let me craft my own vocal interpretation of Hobby.

It's like getting free reign to make a modern Spider-man movie, but then getting told, they have to match certain things to the Raimi or Amazing continuity?

We don't have a lot of details on the story, but again, they're pushing for a young, but experienced Spidey. They've mapped what his internal history is and they may have certain villains appearing earlier or later and having different relationships.

In SS Norman was responsible for Rhino, Sandman and Doc Ock. What if they want to go for more comic origins for them in this? What if the Lizard only appears now and for story purposes it's to test Pete's maturity; having a 23 year old PS4 Spidey has him wanting to take a more measured approach in solving the case, learning he's Connors, curing him and protecting his family from a potential sinister force. 15 year old PS4 Spidey may have mostly fought mobsters and lower level Kingpin goons successfully, but then gets walloped hard by the Enforcers and Daredevil and others help him turn the tide. You couldn't have characters like Daredevil or Luke Cage showing up in SS, so why bar them from being part of this origin?

In launching a huge new direction for Marvel Interactive entertainment, Marvel doesn't want to take any chances, they want absolute freedom for this team they're bringing in. They want them to put their own stamp on things and go for the gold.

Insomniac is getting full autonomy so they're going to make things the way they want and don't have to budget time and money in going back, researching the way that Spectacular's seasons went down, don't have to look at legality with adapting any potential lingering rights, and here's a big one:

Bringing fans and new players up to speed.

Spectacular is one of my favourite cartoons and my fav Spider-man show. Yet it's been ages since I last saw the show, so they'll have to do something to catch up the audience and inform new fans of what happened on the show, what's happened in the 8 years since season 2 ended, etc. That's asking a lot of Insomniac.

Great post :up:

This.

As someone who sees themselves as a creative individual, if I have the choice to work on something that can be its own where I have a lot of freedom to put my stamp on it I would go all in on that over trying to ride on something that was really somebody else's baby. It's simple math to me, I don't get why this is a debate here.

Man, we really don't have anything to talk about for this game, do we?

Speaking of, tomorrow happens to be the show's 10th anniversary. :yay:

If they really wanted to honor Spectacular, they could always just get some of the voice actors back to reprise their roles, just like the Arkham games got some of the B:TAS voices. God knows I would love to hear Steve Blum's Green Goblin again.

I'm excited to see the world that Insomniac has crafted for Spidey, though. I just wish we could see more of it pretty soon. They've been pretty tight-lipped about it for the most part.

Speaking of, tomorrow happens to be the show's 10th anniversary. :yay:

If they really wanted to honor Spectacular, they could always just get some of the voice actors back to reprise their roles, just like the Arkham games got some of the B:TAS voices. God knows I would love to hear Steve Blum's Green Goblin again.

I'm excited to see the world that Insomniac has crafted for Spidey, though. I just wish we could see more of it pretty soon. They've been pretty tight-lipped about it for the most part.

Steve was great has Green goblin. I wish we had josh doing Spider-Man has he is my favorite Spider-Man voice actor. Yeah they have been very tight-lipped so far and that is why I am thinking that the game is still going to be a late 2018 game because I fell like if the game was really going to come out like even in summer that we would have seen heard more about the game so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"