SPOILERS FAN reviews SPOILERS do NOT enter if you don't want to be spoiled!

Discussion in 'Doctor Strange' started by Vartha, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Typhoon22 The Golden God

I'm pointing out how he had to rely way more on his smarts than his powers which he hasn't fully grasped yet because he was still in training during the entire film. His smarts is was and always will be his synonymous with the character. At that time, as a rookie who is still taking baby steps, it's the only option he had. When he becomes sorcerer supreme he will hopefully have a rich arsenal of powers and hopefully they won't nerf him too much (considering what Feige said about Captain Marvel being the strongest character in the MCU i'm afraid they will).

The entire film all Strange could do was repeat the same 2 feats summoning the same portal and a magic whip he created that's it. Even his martial arts looked very bad. Strange is not only a master of the mystic but also the martial arts. I hope this was done deliberately to show his gradual growth as a sorcerer and he achieves many many more skills along the way in his sequel etc. I know they will nerf him compared to classic Strange as he was waaaaay too OP but he shouldn't be less powerful than Captain Marvel and the powers Strange has in this film is like 0.1% of his feats in the comics.

2. Syncos ROFLICIOUS

Plus using the eye of Agamotto in many ways to reverse, accelerate and loop time. Which Wong seemed to insinuate should have been way out of his league.

3. ctsketch Registered

Strange also used the mirror dimension trick.....and the shields/weapons

4. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I don't think we are disagreeing. In the comics even when he was a powerful sorcerer he was often overmatched from a power perspective and still came out on top because of his wits. Dormammu is a perfect example of doc defeating a more powerful enemy.

5. Isildur´s Heir Registered

Just saw the movie and....it's one of the worst Marvel movies to date (if not the worst), which makes me believe that Marvel arrived to a point where reviewer just have to say it's good/great.
    How could reviewers praised that movie is...i don't get.

It's style over substance, nothing more.
    It's Inception on steroids meets the last scene from Fantastic Four II, but instead of Shanghai is Hong Kong and Dormammu being a better Galactus, but still in the same vein.
    And i hate the all magic looking like ground fireworks in steroids. The all waving of the hand in circle motion to open portals looks pathetic after the 2nd time.

Rachel McAdams is ridiculously used. The reason for the hospital scenes after Strange goes to Kathmandu is a sorry excuse for her to be there.
    When you do the same crap twice, there is something really wrong there....it's cinema 101.

Tilda Swinton makes a bad job. She is a great actress, with a lousy role to play. Like i read somewhere, she is just there delivering her lines like she’s doped up on Xanax.

The villain is awful. And the comedy bits are painful to watch. The The Cloak of Levitation bits are....WTF?!?!?!!?
    The cloak betting on one of the thugs is......WHAT THE HELL?!?!??

And it gives an all new meaning to the word OVERUSED.
    Mirror dimension - check
    Opening Portals - check
    Inception on steroids - check
    Martial Arts - check
    Rewind time - check
    Glass dagger/sword - check
    Astral Projection - check (once it got into the movie)
    Magic/Energy Whip - check
    Hospital scene to give McAdams a reason to be there - Twice

The movie is saved by the great job of Cumberbatch and Ejiofor.
    How they could make a great job there is beyond me.

And let me tell you about the car crash.......ridiculous, too over the top.
    Anyone would have died, even before hitting the water.
    Sometimes less is more.

All in all, it still watchable but a bland movie.
    I give it a 5/10

Just to point out that, i didn't got a good vibe from the trailers, and the first scene of the movie (Ancient One vs the bad guys) made me go.....this is going to painful to watch.

#755 Isildur´s Heir, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  6. Blitzkrieg Registered

Wow, that was some rant. Actually I agree with you on almost everything except the Ancient One part (She was really awesome IMO) and use of special effects, it was kinda overused but I also loved it for that very reason.

As for the rest of the review/rant......

[​IMG]

7. Typhoon22 The Golden God

It's ok. Not everyone has great taste.

Reviewers praise it because they have better taste and understanding of what it is that makes a quality film. I'm just glad my opinion of films is generally in line with reviewers for the most part.

As for the rant:

[​IMG]

8. idiot09 Kicks side

Its extremely arrogant to say that if someone doesnt like a film you like that person has bad taste. And I liked DS.

9. Blitzkrieg Registered

@ Typhoon22

I don't know how much of that was directed at me but I really thought parts of DS was amazing. On the whole, I thought it was just okay. Different strokes...... :)

10. Isildur´s Heir Registered

I didn't liked the Ancient One because i felt her character was irrelevant.
    It could have been great, if they didn't want to use the character as she was the "kung-Fu Teacher".
    The special effects are great, but the magic being like fireworks sparks was a bad choice. Even the movie realizes it by playing with that in the last post-credit scene, with Pangborn in his workshop.
    In fact, there are a lot of poor choices in the movie, like the overused Inception "city on drugs", the mirror dimension, the opening of portals by making circular motions with the hand, the cloak being sentient or the sling-rings.....a lot of really bad choices.
    Even the Eye of Agamotto is horribly used.

The main problem is that, from time to time, it really wants to be Harry Potter....without wands and with superheroes.
    But Dr. Strange is nothing like Harry Potter, Strange is spiritual and esoteric, Potter is not.
    Sure, you have the all astral plane and multiverse....but it's extremely simplistic in the way it's presented.

Dr. Strange was not a easy movie to make, but it could have been light years better than it was.

In fact, if you watch the tv show The Magicians, they have a better use of magic than Dr. Strange.
    Dr. Strange is more Harry Potter, the Magicians is more "if magic was real"; Dr. Strange should have been if esoterism and spirituality was true (or is, depending on your beliefs).

#760 Isildur´s Heir, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  11. Adamantium Man Just Another Metal Person

Stopped reading after "The Ancient One was irrelevant".

12. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

The son of Elendil has disowned you (I just added that to the Akallabeth so you can forget about the North and South Kingdoms.). :oldrazz:

While I completely disagree with you on virtually every point, you are certainly entitled to your opinion of the movie without getting blasted by me. I think people tend to react when opinion is stated as fact, but, ultimately, unless someone says something like "Objectively, this movie....blah, blah, blah", that we all know it's just that.....an opinion.

13. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Now you're losing me......how was The Ancient One irrelevant? :huh:

Ditto, but it tweaked my curiosity.

14. Isildur´s Heir Registered

Ok, maybe irrelevant wasn't the right word, but she was like any other master in all Kung Fu movies, but with magic.

They missed the opportunity of doing something great and memorable with the character.

#764 Isildur´s Heir, Nov 17, 2016
  15. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

"Predictable" was maybe the word you were looking for? I thought Swinton was terrific, but, yes, the masters teach their pupils and then die. That's pretty much the formula, BUT I liked the way she bowed out and thought it was a nice twist. Usually they are on the ground dying and trying to bubble out some words before they collapse, but they did a nice take on her death that fit with the earlier part of the movie.

Different strokes I suppose, but let's not go down the critics just automatically give Marvel movies a good review path. Fan reaction also seems to be overwhelmingly positive. You just didn't like it. That's fine.

#765 InCali, Nov 17, 2016
  16. Typhoon22 The Golden God

Totally not at you. It was targeted at the condescending rant of a certain someone towards reviewers. I don't mind when someone doesn't like a film that is unanimously praised by critics and fans alike but to be so condescending towards not only people who did love it but reviewers who have a better grasp at taste in quality filmmaking just seems funny in retrospect.

For example GOTG is unanimously loved, Civil War is unanimously loved and I admit both are well made quality films that I just liked, not loved. But to call them one of the worst films ? I can't take an opinion like that seriously on films that are unanimously praised. I can see the quality in them despite the flaws. There's a reason why they are so unanimously praised. Ah well my issue was more with the condescending nature of it and quite frankly the entire rant makes little sense but to each their own.

17. Isildur´s Heir Registered

It's not being condescending, it's about being realistic...and maybe a little bit cynical.
    Ever heard of David Manning?
    David Manning was a pseudonym used by a marketing executive working for Sony Corporation around July 2000 to give consistently good reviews for releases from Sony subsidiary Columbia Pictures.
    If it was done once, why can't it be done again?
    I'm always a bit suspicious when everything from a certain brand (Marvel, in this case) is always praised.

But my main problem with Marvel movies is that they are extremely infatuated with the idea of the Marvel Universe, instead of being the universe that resolves around the characters, is the other way around...and with the Avenger at the center.
    But it's better than DCCU, which doesn't get the characters....at all.

Marvel movies, imo, go from great to good...usually, but sometimes they get it wrong, like IM 2 & 3, like Thor 2...and like this one.
    Even Avengers 2 was not all that.

Maybe it's because i started reading comics at an early age and i loved movies, which always made me have a very cinematic way of looking at things (hence why i studied film making for 3 years).
    Since late 80s and early 90s, i wanted serious superhero movies; and since that time i started to think how to translate them all into movies.
    Personally, and arrogance aside, i know how to bring almost all characters "to life".
    Maybe because of it, i'm extremely critic when it comes to comic book movies.

18. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

There may be some level of chicanery when it comes to movie reviews, but for it to have the sort of effect you are describing it would have to be pervasive and there's just no way for that to happen. Say, for example, that out of the approximately 300 reviews on RT that 15 of them (and that's WAY too high IMO) were, to use a word tossed around recently, "rigged". 15 positive reviews for a movie with an RT score of 90% only drops you to 85% if they were withheld. It's just not doable and the potential fallout of a widespread scam just isn't worth it. Also, it's not like RT is some outlier when it comes to critical and fan reviews. We may not always agree with it, but that's just taste; not conspiracy.

I agree that my least favorite movies were IM2 and 3 and TDW (but love Thor), but I actually liked AoU better than the first Avengers movie. Having the band together for the first time was very exciting, but felt AoU benefitted from the actors being more familiar with each other.

19. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

If you're honestly suggesting that there is some sort of conspiracy where critics are propping up Marvel movies, then no, you are not being realistic.

20. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I'm sure there are a few critics that have a Marvel bias, a DC bias, hate CBM, etc. Just like the general population. If RT was consistently different than the general consensus, I'd say "maybe", but still unlikely.

Marvel makes better movies than its competitors at this point and they get better ratings. It doesn't mean that everyone is going to like any particular movie. Marvel "might" get slightly better reviews for similar quality movies, but, if they do, it's because they've built trust and goodwill. Let's lose the secret society of Marvel critics.

21. Themanofbat Never Mind the Buttocks...

I tried watching the Magicians... and I really wanted to like it... but it just bored me... stopped by the fourth episode...

:csad:

22. C. Lee Superherohype Administrator

Nothing makes me laugh more than a poster with a DC character avatar claiming that Marvel pays off critics.......high lair ee us.

23. Vaibow Registered

I went in not knowing too much of Dr Strange and walked out thinking i could have done a better job. It felt too clichey. It definitely went with style over substance.
    I felt the CGI cape was pointless and took me out of the movie - funnily enough. I also thought how RDJ would have been a better fit, even Christian Bale. I think it being an origin story was it's down fall.
    For what it's worth, i would have rather the film started off with a fully 'grown' Dr Strange. He introduces us to his bazaar world. I feel and again i could be wrong but i wish they had went with a Dr Who style formula.

My pitch - the world has changed, meta humans, aliens, robots, nothing appears strange anymore.
    It's 1986, Halloween, kids are goofing around, around the streets kids dressed as ET, Han solo, even a vintage capt america and are trick or treating down a neighbourhood, in a shed, a few teens are playing with a ouiji board, one pulls out a spell book he has had in his family for years.
    They have no idea what anything means and they carry on pretending to recite spells and ask the ouiji questions until something is awoken - as if, by magic, the teen appears in a trance - his eyes darken and he recites a spell.
    From outside the shed glows and kids scream as a bolt races out and into the sky.
    News reports circulate and the press go crazy for halloween antics go wrong as a girl is presumed kidnapped. The teens say it was a demon with a black heart - the police have no leads.
    Credits role.
    This day, a man in his 30's has made it his life's mission to find his sister and it doing his best to contact the avengers and get his story heard - could they help him?
    The man ends up in asia, years of research leads him looking for the ancient one - he doesn't succeed, but.. someone finds him. In a remote village, the space before him opens up and out steps Dr Strange.
    Dr Strange conforts the man, he tells him that he is on a path of evil if he is to continue misusing 'magic', falling short of selling his soul to the devil's helper Zadkiel himself. He agrees to hand over this spell book, stop his work if Strange will help him, which he agrees to do.
    They enter the under world, other dimensions and battle inner demons as well as Black heart himself to retrieve his sister.
    At the end, he has a choice - to stay with his sister in another dimension or create a paradox in time - As Strange walks away, a crack in the sky appears, behind it, an eye.
    For the man that contacted strange was indeed the possesed teen trying to find a way back to the under world with his sister - they were indeed the children of the black heart project.

Now, this took me 5 minutes to come up with, using google. But it feels a lot different that the cookie cutter movie we got.

24. Typhoon22 The Golden God

[​IMG]

25. regnak Registered

Yeah, as soon as he said he could do a better job I stopped reading.