SPOILERS FAN reviews SPOILERS do NOT enter if you don't want to be spoiled!

Discussion in 'Doctor Strange' started by Vartha, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Typhoon22 The Golden God

Lucky you. I kept reading.

Some people just have such massive egos they think their opinion is the one that matters and is the definitive value of quality when in reality their opinion is so painfully wrong and trash that they are, ironically, so oblivious to it.

2. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I got to seeing this on Wednesday night feeling very positive given the pedigree, the word of mouth and of course Cumberbatch as the lead, Dr. Strange.

I came out feeling I had just seen something that was only slightly better than THOR 2 and slightly less good than INCREDIBLE HULK. That was NOT what I was expecting at all. Now... There are things that do work and work well. The visuals, especially Strange's introduction to the nature of reality is really good looking. They captured the trippy visuals of Strange stories. Production design was on point more or less and the actors are all well cast. But the end result was still very stillborn to my eyes.

I was never all that drawn into the film once Strange actually was in training. Everything up to that was engaging. We have the mysterious world of clashing sorcerers and a broad but well done character piece about Strange as an elite surgeon. Cumberbatch is good enough getting the bullet points of Strange across and there was a genuine moment of high drama when he and Mcadams have a fight and he accuses her of just pitying him. It's the surface nature of everything that undermines these elements though and as such I wasn't invested as much as I would have liked to have been. I think one of the main culprits is the film's script and run time, especially that run time.

The film whizzes way too fast through everything. Let me put it this way... It's officially supposed to be 1 hour 55 minutes. It felt much faster and not for the good since, what, ten minutes plus of that is credits? This felt like a film that needed to have a lot more focus or more texture or something. It certainly NEEDED a compelling villain and Mads' character is just as boiler plate bland as can be, underdeveloped AND he's narrative wise not even the big bad per se, but the big bad's cats' paw... And the big bad is given NO development or even a great explanation at all. Strange's learning of the mystic arts is not handled particularly well and I didn't buy, well, any of the relationships, though I was warming to both Strange's interactions with the Ancient One and Mordo, but I think that was just the actors' natural charisma and talent more than the story and actions of the characters. Mordo is quite underdeveloped though the potential given Eijiofor's performance is apparent. It again is rather rushed though, Mordo's arc, and then I never felt the Dark Dimension taboo that the Ancient One had broken was all that well explained nor it's ramifications to the audience. Because of all that the other aspects felt pretty hallow to me as well. Yes, the visual spectacle was well done but I just felt no big connection to the conflict or the characters, and sorry, but when that happens, when the stakes already have a certain amount of drama and tension drained from them the nail in the coffin is likely then to be humor that gets injected into these sorts of films and... YUP, we get some really ham fisted "lightness", especially in connection with the Cloak. I know, I know, they were going for a Magic Carpet from Aladdin angle. I get what they were going for. I just didn't think they succeeded. There were a few jokes that hit their marks well but I kept thinking "If you had time to dedicate to funny Cloak gags and Beyonce references then you should have made time to develop the villains, put meat on the bones of the main protagonists and give some more compelling reasons to have Rachel Mcadams in this film in the first place (Side note... Some characters have significant others/romantic interest characters in their supporting cast that simply MUST at some point be part of the story as they themselves are a HUGE part of the general mythology. Your Mary Janes, your Lois Lanes, your Catwomans. For Strange that's Clea. Rachel McAdams is not playing Clea. And she's not utilized all that well or with any great significance to the story, and do any of us want to bet she won't be seen in the MCU ever again? So why even have the character she plays in the film at all?)

The film is not some terrible hot mess though. The money is up on the screen for sure. the SFX are all quite good and no one give a phoned in or bad performance. But the script itself and the final product both suffer from a general, going through the motions malaise. Cumberbatch's charm and charisma and talent can't change those issues. Did the film desperately make me want to see more of the world(s) of Doctor Strange? It did, but that's probably because I didn't feel the movie did all that good of a job of exploring what it laid out all that well, not because this initial installment was something I found particularly entertaining.

Yes... The post-credit scene with Thor was fun and I loved the interactions between the two and it made me want to see Thor and Strange together again.

3. JtheDreamer Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

Just got done seeing this.

Didn't connect with the movie all that much - was too formulaic. The Multiverse and Dark Universe save the material. I just didn't see what everyone else did when it comes to Cumberbatch being synonymous with Strange the way RDJ has been for IM.

The way Strange negotiated with Dormammu at the end didn't feel like a great payoff that this kind of movie should have. Seemed more like something you'd see out of a role playing game than a CBM blockbuster.

The events of this movie also seem to happen uber fast.

#778 JtheDreamer, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  4. Blitzkrieg Registered

I saw it again and DS just got worse for me. I've said my piece before and I ain't gonna harp on the negative things but the ending which I thought was very clever before and it still is but on the whole it didn't really jive with me this time around. Things that I still loved were Tilda Swinton as Ancient One and the amazing visuals. It sits with T:TDW and IM2 as one of the slightly mediocre MCU movies IMO. I'll give this 5.5/10.

5. Vartha Mod of Thunder

I still stick with my review. DS needed to be at LEAST 10 to 15 minutes longer for adding the character's back stories that are the main focuses.
    I'm getting a tad miffed with the prelude comics. Granted I like them, the story that was in the Kaecilius prelude SHOULD have been shown in movie.
    You can argue he's a throw away villian, the movie's not about him BUT, his story is connected to everyone else's in the film too. It shows more of what is going on with everyone else before Strange shows up.
    Doctor Strange 2 will be too late to do that imo, if you're going to show Mordo's history there.

6. Blitzkrieg Registered

I definitely think that was one of the bigger problems of the movie. In any case DS is a fine movie. Although it's without moments where Stephen Strange struggled with his powers and had significant trouble beating his adversaries, it all seemed really easy for him IMO. The prelude comics sounds like a better version of the movie, I hope better writers are hired for the sequel. There is huge potential.

7. Chesterfield Registered

[​IMG]

8. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Well, they aren't too bad but you get why of WHY Kaecilius was crying for one

9. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

I finally saw it and I gotta say, I thought the movie was perfectly fine. Not gonna set the world on fire, but I also didn't see some of the flaws some posters here keep harping on. Gave it an 8 out of 10 on the 'rate' thread, so i place it near the top of origin films, but not quite in the top tier Marvel films overall.

Could the film have used extra time? Yes, but I always think that. If every Marvel film were a half hour longer, I'd be more than happy.

Could Kaecilius have been fleshed out more? Yeah, but only one more good scene, maybe between him and Mordo, would have sufficed.

Did it tick the 'origin' boxes? More or less, but it also felt completely different from IM, Cap, Thor, or any of the established MCU characters. In the history of comics and film, we've seen similar before, but not in the modern era MCU.

Could Rachel McAdams have had a bigger role? Maybe, but I actually liked that she was this person in his life, we understood the context of their relationship without it having to be spelled out, and she served a decent purpose in the story. If it was just a guy friend of Strange's, nobody would question how fleshed out the role was, it just seemed weird because everyone assumes Rachel McAdams would have a large love interest role, but that's not really her purpose in the film.

All in all I really liked it without fully loving it, but I saw very little flaw to the film. The acting was uniformly phenomenal, I enjoyed the awkward humor, and the visuals were terrific. And that third act tho! It was competent and at times astounding, and hopefully next time it leans more heavily on the 'astounding'

#784 BoredGuy, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  10. Vartha Mod of Thunder

You also see that where Mordo is Strange's teacher, DRUMM is Kaecilius', that's one reason there's a familiarity between the two in the movie

11. The Ironstar Registered

Myzz

Iron Man
    Captain America
    Ant-Man
    Doctor Strange
    Thor
    :msc: :rdr:

12. NotNickFury Registered

So are people just not counting The Incredible Hulk or something? Flawed or not- though I still enjoy it a lot- it's still an origin story and part of the MCU.

13. DyeLorean will return

Well, I saw the movie last week and I really liked it though I had some minor issues with it.

I saw it today for a second time, this time in IMAX 3D, and the movie got a lot better. Not just because of the format, but I found the movie much more cohesive this time. I noticed things I didn't the first time. The villain is still a bit underdeveloped, but a few things that bothered me were not there.

It is a much more interesting film than I thought. The Ancient One speech in the balcony was good stuff. I felt her dialogue. That's one of the key scenes in the whole film for me. Tilda Swinton is the soul of the movie.

14. Asharad Registered

I just got back from the theater with my wife and kids. I'd say all 4 of us agree with this. Two of us rated it 7/10, my wife 6/10, and my fourteen year old son said "stupid/10".

15. Asharad Registered

Iron Man
    Captain America
    Thor
    Ant-Man
    Doctor Strange

16. Samuron Reprint

First post for this long-time Strange fan.

I gave it an 8/10 in the poll thread; it felt a little rushed, not quite as fine-tuned as some of the other films.

My biggest problem was that the magic was just a little too "sciency"; it worked well visually, but it seemed too much like advanced tech and not magical enough. I would have much preferred seeing Kaecilius immobilized with the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak rather than the magical bondage gear.

I know they were probably worried that using the incantations would come off silly, but for me, it loses something without them. I think they still could have used them, treating spells as "function calls", and made it work.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed the film, and I think Cummerbatch nailed the role.

#791 Samuron, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  17. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

The 'magical bondage gear' WAS the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak
    The Art of Marvel Studio's Doctor Strange identifies the gear as such

18. Samuron Reprint

Ah, thanks; I didn't know that. Still not the same as seeing the spell, for me.

19. Batmannerism Super-unknown

Updating my initial review here:

Saw Dr Strange for the 3rd time ( I had built up points, on a movie loyalty scheme and got a free ticket).

Have to say, it was awesome. I expected it to be less enthralling, the third time, but was pleasantly surprised.

Dr. Strange has officially become my favorite cbm origin film - it's topped Iron Man, and Batman Begins.

Cumberbatch doesn't just nail the role, he owns it completely. The special effects are just icing on the cake.

Tilda Swinton was absolutely mesmerising as the Ancient One - a kind of complete opposite to Ben Kingsley's Mandarin (who we're hypnotized by how terrible the character was). I've never been a fan of Tilda, but despite not looking anything like her comic book counterpart, she manages to completely embody the essence of the character.

I admit that Mads Mikkelsen's Kaecillius is criminally underdeveloped - but hey, Dormammu !

20. Typhoon22 The Golden God

Agree pretty much with everything especially the bolded part was the only - for me. I think it's a curse. Comic origin films can't seem to have a great villain because most of that time is spend on introducing the origin character and barely any time left for the villain. I don't even think Kaecilius was bad but with casting Mads expectations went through the roof.

Batman Begins - Iron Man 1 - Dr Strange.
    My holy trinity for now.

21. Slushy Registered

Why didn't Strange go back in time some more to save The Ancient One?

22. Bren Forevernoob

Late to the party... Wife, 16 year old daughter, 12 year old son and comic superhero fanboy daddy (me).

I'd give it a 5/10, decidedly average. I guess it lost me a bit when its possible USP for me (magic, dimensions, craziness) somehow missed the mark a little. The initial intro to it all through TAO was properly decent but the chase in the mirror world and attack at the NY Sanctum were a bit overlong and samey (somehow).

I thought all the actors did fantastically well (even to the point where I really REALLY wanted to know what got Kaecilus so riled), and I thoroughly enjoyed BC as Doctor Strange. I thought his seemingly quick success at grasping 'magic' was too quick, even for a genius.

Silly question; he used the eye of agamotto, gets blasted verbally by Mordo and Wong but they don't immediately take it from him?
    I get the ending/win was different, but it just didn't hit me all that hard.

The rest of my family gave it a 7 / 10.

23. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Well what happened to Kaecilus to bring him to Kamar-Taj was told in a digital comic sadly and not on the screen. BASICALLY he has a wife and child that die and he looks for a way to bring them back, which leads him TOO the spell in the forbidden book.
    The Ancient one was using the spell as you know and she basically forbid Kaecilus to use it for bringing his family back

24. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Bluray steel book is up at Best buy!
    [​IMG]

25. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

beautiful design