Stephen King's "IT" remake has found a writer - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought there was a nice balance of creeping horror and jump scares mixed in with a more intellectual, existential terror. People seem to confuse "It, who was standing there for some time , possibly conversing with the other characters, and is suddenly moving very fast" with "jump scare". My understanding of a jump scare is that it's an abrupt, surprising visual, not one where tension is built through a slow reveal of the distressing visual and then a violent finish to a sequence.

I think this movie works better as a scary, 80's style adventure flick. It just has that vibe with the Amblin/Spielberg esque music, and the kids feeling like they came straight out a Goonies movie. I honestly wouldn't call it horror film even though it does have it's moments. I liked the fact that scares here were more viscerally thrilling and fun than frightening. It also has a really creepy and dread filled atmosphere as well.

I'll be surprised if this plays well with the typical teenager/young adult crowd.

For me, the characters and story was the best part, but there isn't enough 'scary' or 'jumpy' moments overall. It frankly felt a little long and meandering in places.

Far from your 90 minute simplistic gory/jump scare horror movie.

The 2nd showing I went to had a bunch of kids and teenagers... they were loving it.

Yeah, I didn't think there were a lot of jump scares either. The movie had an amazing atmosphere, and so many people are going to soak that up. I personally didn't jump once, but I did have to look away out of fear earlier in the film (until I realized that the film wasn't scary lol).

The "boys will be boys" humour was grating though.

Yeah, I didn't think there were a lot of jump scares either. The movie had an amazing atmosphere, and so many people are going to soak that up. I personally didn't jump once, but I did have to look away out of fear earlier in the film (until I realized that the film wasn't scary lol).

The "boys will be boys" humour was grating though.

There was a ton of it.

Practically every scene with Pennywise was a jump scare outside of moments where he's creepily starring at the kids. The leper - jump scare. The weird lady from the painting - jump scare. Opening the door to reveal the half eat screaming body - jump scare. I could go on and on with examples.

Last edited:
I think people need to understand the difference between a good and bad jump scare. Monster jumping out at a character? Good jump scare! Dog leaping at the screen with no threat whatsoever? Bad jump scare. I'm so sick and goddamn tired of people immediately boo-hooing over jump scares. It all comes down to context. I don't sit in a comedy film and ***** that the jokes have punch lines.

I think people need to understand the difference between a good and bad jump scare. Monster jumping out at a character? Good jump scare! Dog leaping at the screen with no threat whatsoever? Bad jump scare. I'm so sick and goddamn tired of people immediately boo-hooing over jump scares. It all comes down to context. I don't sit in a comedy film and ***** that the jokes have punch lines.

Hear hear :up:

One opportunity I feel like they missed out on but could've added was basically having them go see 89 Batman at that theatre we constantly see, and gradually everytime Joker is onscreen he turns into Pennywise.

I'll be surprised if this plays well with the typical teenager/young adult crowd.

On the contrary, 'IT' is actually playing better with the teenager/young adult crowd. The movie received an overall 'B+' CinemaScore from the audience across all age groups but 'IT' specifically snagged an 'A-' CinemaScore from the under 18 demographic. Even with that, 'IT' is playing to the older skewing crowd with 65%+ of the audience over the age of 25. Basically all age groups are lapping this up and if the crowd reports across theaters in US is anything to go by, 'IT is looking at further glory at the BO.

Jump scares are standard stuff though, not to mention lack creativity. Almost any director out there can put that on film.

Question for those who have seen the movie:

Bill tells Pennywise that he doesn´t fear him and that´s why Pennywise couldn´t kill Beverley if I´m not mistaken. But if that´s the case, how could Pennywise kill Georgie because Georgie wasn´t afraid of Pennywise at the moment of the kill.

Yes, he was. As soon as he went all Kubrick stare on him.

Bill tells Pennywise that he doesn´t fear him and that´s why Pennywise couldn´t kill Beverley if I´m not mistaken. But if that´s the case, how could Pennywise kill Georgie because Georgie wasn´t afraid of Pennywise at the moment of the kill.

He looked rather freaked out to me after Pennywise just suddenly stopped laughing and stared at him. He also looked scared when he was reaching for the boat. Then of course after his arm was ripped off....

I'm sure Georgie was pretty freaking terrified after having his arm torn off and being dragged into the sewer by IT.

Basically the goofy fun and giggles were meant to lure him in. Then he knew he'd have to scare him in order to actually eat.

Jump scares are standard stuff though, not to mention lack creativity. Almost any director out there can put that on film.

Almost any director out there can film a conversation. We should yank those from dramas.

See how dumb that sounds? Like I said, jumps scares are all about context and in IT the kids and audience were being "jump scared" by **** that's actually worth being scared over. It's not jump scares like a Cat jumping on a table followed by a loud musical cue.

It's a mainstream horror film. It's going to have jump scares. Just be grateful they have context and reason within the structure of the film.

Almost any director out there can film a conversation. We should yank those from dramas.

See how dumb that sounds? Like I said, jumps scares are all about context and in IT the kids and audience were being "jump scared" by **** that's actually worth being scared over. It's not jump scares like a Cat jumping on a table followed by a loud musical cue.

It's a mainstream horror film. It's going to have jump scares. Just be grateful they have context and reason within the structure of the film.

The film that most influenced IT is A Nightmare On Elm Street, and that had jump scares, and is rightly regarded as one of the best horror movies ever made.

This anti-jump scare attitude is rather silly. They're a staple of horror movies.

The film that most influenced IT is A Nightmare On Elm Street, and that had jump scares, and is rightly regarded as one of the best horror movies ever made.

This anti-jump scare attitude is rather silly. They're a staple of horror movies.

I agree. It all comes down to context and use.

Proposed Blu-ray cover attached to the pre-order already available on Amazon. It's decent, better than most covers we see churned out. It has class.

sqWtb4Q.jpg

That's a rad cover. I can't wait to see the abomination they replace it with.

****, that would've made a good theatre teaser poster. But we all know what some dorks would say it's a reminder of.

Has nothing to do with context when it's habitually abused.

Nah.

Freddy was all about long torturous scenes - not just simple jump scares. While they are a staple of horror films, the most generic ones are overly reliant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"