Suicide Squad: General Discussion and Speculation - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny considering he'll be writing a Superman miniseries for DC. :funny:

He expanded more on it here.

Someone told him

André T. Fagundes ‏@AndreTaquari 2h2 hours ago
@Uptomyknees Yeah because those criminals that are in locked in jail forever really would have money to pay for expensive costumes.

he responded

Max Landis ‏@Uptomyknees 2h2 hours ago
@AndreTaquari You haven't seen the film yet. You have no frame of reference for where the costumes come from. Some do seem elaborate.

The rest of the convo.

@Uptomyknees That's true. Just a guess on my part. To me, it makes sense the ragged thrown-together look.

Max Landis ‏@Uptomyknees 2h2 hours ago
@AndreTaquari For a government sanctioned and funded strike team?

@Uptomyknees *undercover. You would never guess those bums are working for the (any) government. Again, no context, just a guess.

Max Landis ‏@Uptomyknees 1h1 hour ago
@AndreTaquari ...Except for the three members of the team who are dressed like they're on a government funded strike team.

Maybe he skipped Killer Croc's look in the trailer.

Oh so I guess he knows nothing about the Suicide Squad then he's just tweeting nonsense
Doesn't even know who Rick Flag,Slipknot, and Deadshot are apparently

The Suicide Squad is The Dirty Dozen with Super villains and The Dirty Dozen is a movie where an Army Major takes 12 convicted murderers to assassinate Nazi officers. I just realized that the Nazis actually had there own Suicide Squad.The SS-Sturmbrigade Dirlewanger was a Military unit composed entirely of criminals.

The French Foreign Legion is more or less the same thing.

Max Landis is a f***ing jackass.

He can be. I've said so myself, but I tend to agree more with him on this one. It does feel like a missed opportunity to have more elaborate and comic booky costumes. Many of them do seem underwhelming imo. Regardless if it's Ayer's intention or not I think a more comic book visual style would make for a great contrast to the tone of the film.

Why would the government give the Squad expensive, top-of-the-line gear when the entire premise of the operation is predicated upon the government having plausible deniability regarding its involvement?

But then again, who needs logic when you have to look edgy and cool on Twitter? I eagerly await Landis' next non-contribution to pop culture :up:.

Last edited:
I think Harley's costume is the most disappointing to me; it's still colorful, but she's always had even more of a clown look than Joker, so the "brazen hussy" look seems weird. I actually like the rest of the costumes a lot, in particular Boomerang and Deadshot.

Boomer's costume is kind of bland in the comics; he wears blue and has some vaguely "Austrailian" flails thrown into the suit. Here, he wears his comics costume, but they've taken a bunch of liberties to make him look like a soccer hooligan, with loud and ostentatious jewelry, a 90s gangster windbreaker jacket saying his title, and a duck tape knife holder. Pne still looks ridiculous, but it's a ridiculousness that you a) could see in the real world because there are people without taste, and b) adds character, since he looks like a proudly ignorant slob.

Deadshot's, meanwhile, looks exactly like that one cover they keep showing everybody.

Croc's not walking around in a wife beater the whole film. I don't see anything wrong with that. Means that when he does, it'll be an important moment.

I prefer Katana's look here. I can't quite tell you why.

He can be. I've said so myself, but I tend to agree more with him on this one. It does feel like a missed opportunity to have more elaborate and comic booky costumes. Many of them do seem underwhelming imo. Regardless if it's Ayer's intention or not I think a more comic book visual style would make for a great contrast to the tone of the film.

No, it would be a missed opportunity if they went all out because then there would be nowhere to go. I don't know why some people don't know how this works. Costumes have always gotten better from movie to movie. People were quick to defend Daredevil's first costume which is as cheap as you can get, but they expect a bunch of lowly criminals to look like superheros? Most of them aren't suppose to look over the top anyway. Only Enchantress aren't as flashy as the comics. Harley Quinn looks different but she still stands out.

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qllo_qDmzug[/YT]

Personally I'll never understand why people hate on Harley and Deadshot's outfits in this movie even though they look identical to their comic counterparts while on the Marvel side people praise Scarlet Witch and Falcon's even though they look nothing like they do in the comics.

Personally I'll never understand why people hate on Harley and Deadshot's outfits in this movie even though they look identical to their comic counterparts while on the Marvel side people praise Scarlet Witch and Falcon's even though they look nothing like they do in the comics.

Because the only Harley costume I can say this resembles, the New 52 version, is a bad costume to begin with (though it's certainly better than the New 52 costume). Not to mention it doesn't look identical to that either. To each their own if you like the costume, but I fail to see how it's identical to her comic costume in any incarnation.

Last edited:
Because the only Harley costume I can say this resembles, the New 52 version, is a bad costume to begin with (though it's certainly better than the New 52 costume). Not to mention it doesn't look identical to that either. To each their own if you like the costume, but I fail to see how it's identical to her comic costume in any incarnation.

I've never asked for 100% accuracy when it comes to these things, but Harley is at least still recognizable IMO in this film. Same with Captain America and Wolverine in the movies. They may not resemble their comic counterparts 100%, but you could silhouette both of them and even casuals would still know who they are.

It allows indulgence in some key tropes for arch enemies, too. Imagine Bruce Wayne being awoken at night by a haunting melody played on the piano. Following the sound, he discovers The Joker playing the ivories by candlelight.

"I wish by brother George was here ..."

Captain Boomerang's outfit from the comics for the last few years has been essentially street clothes.

El Diablo and Killer Croc are shirtless most the time in comics so having them wear a hoodie or jacket is hardly some radical betrayal of their look.

Deadshot is reasonably comic accurate.

Does anybody really want to see Slipknot with holes in the side of his costume exposing his ribs and wizard sleeves?

Slipknot's classic comic costume would just look silly for a guy who is supposed to be a dangerous assassin. At least the movie version looks like a rope using killer.

The most memorable thing about Rick Flagg Jr's comic outfit is a yellow t-shirt.

Enchantress original comic design looked like a cheap Halloween store brought witch outfit and her movie outfit is more elaborate than the modern comic versions.

Harley's costume works with the crazy Gangster's moll styling they seem to be using for her character.

Last edited:
No, it would be a missed opportunity if they went all out because then there would be nowhere to go. I don't know why some people don't know how this works. Costumes have always gotten better from movie to movie. People were quick to defend Daredevil's first costume which is as cheap as you can get, but they expect a bunch of lowly criminals to look like superheros? Most of them aren't suppose to look over the top anyway. Only Enchantress aren't as flashy as the comics. Harley Quinn looks different but she still stands out.

Oh! My mistake. I haven't watched Suicide Squad 1 or 2 yet. :o

do you really want to see her in a Jester outfit? really?

smh

do you really want to see her in a Jester outfit? really?

smh

I think her original costume could have been adapted very effectively. I like the costume she has been given very much, however. I do not like the notion of her being permawhite, but I do think she looks good with that appearance.

Yeah her body stocking jester outfit would be a bit too out there for live action. I mean I'm playing the batgirl dlc for arkham knight and I already think it looks too tight and revealing.

Its one thing to see someone cosplay Harley and take pictures but its another thing to craft a performance looking like that.

Her costume clearly draws from the new 52 but it isn't the same thing and she's wearing makeup to give her this pale appearance like the joker. I imagine if she was bleached in chemicals like in the comics she wouldn't have her blonde hair anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"