Suicide Squad: General Discussion and Speculation - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a woman, and I wouldn't be offended by scenes of the Joker abusing Harley. It would be true to her origins. I do get the feeling that the ruckus caused by that one poster from Xmen: Apocalpse of Mystique getting strangled has made filmmakers go weak on such topics. I'm all for women's rights, but to make such issues taboo would be to disrespect women who actually live through such things.

That being said though, I hear Harley's personality has changed a lot over the comics and games. I haven't followed that closely, so I'm willing to give this Harley the benefit of the doubt that she's still faithful to some version of her in the comics. I just prefer the more victimized, abused Harley from the animated series. Not because I'm a sadist, but because it makes her story just a bit deeper.

Also a woman, and I don't have a problem with scenes of the Joker abusing Harley, but I would have a problem if it was presented as romanticized. Abuse in and of itself is something that happens in real life, and if it is part of a character's story, then by all means, show it. But, there is a line where it becomes fetishized that can be crossed way too easily. I have no idea where the SS version of their story falls, but I also don't really have great confidence in WB to tread lightly on those issues, so maybe it is better that they made cuts, I don't know.

Maybe Slipknot is a bit tied up with some other stuff. :yay:

Threat level doesn't automatically make a great villain though. Jamie Foxx's Electro threatened all of NY when he took control of all the city's electricity, but it didn't make him a great villain.

Seconded. There were moments during the film that reminded me of the original Ghostbusters movie (not the feminized one), don't know if you felt the same way. It's not the type of story you philosophize on, but you go in with popcorn and buddies, and you have a good time with all the action, jokes and romance that come with a good blockbuster film.

Will be interesting to see if the audience takes to this film. Check your brain at the door and just have some fun.

In response to Cats: yeah, definitely getting that vibe. It feels like an actioner from the 80's/90's where you know you won't get a really profound and deep story, but the writers know what they are doing. You get characters moments, you feel involved, the action is great. It works as long as you take it for what it is: a really entertaining actioner.

Threat level doesn't automatically make a great villain though. Jamie Foxx's Electro threatened all of NY when he took control of all the city's electricity, but it didn't make him a great villain.

That's true. I was impliying you worry for the characters because you have the feeling they could die.

Also, I liked the way the villain moved and talked, it was creepy and creative. The villain had a real presence. But you don't see much of said villain, and the motivations are basic.

About the cast: I was worried about Kinaman, but he does a really fine job. Cara delevingne was great imo. Same goes for Karen Fukuhara, even though she doesn't have a lot of lines. Croc was amazing. Jay Courtney has never been this good before.

But, there is a line where it becomes fetishized that can be crossed way too easily. I have no idea where the SS version of their story falls.

I can think of one particular scene that you might find fault with. It doesn't last that long though.

I see your point. I think Under the Red Hood figured out a way to provide a very limited Joker, but still use him very effectively.

However, I still think more screen time devoted to the villain(s) the better.

Loved Harvey Dent in TDK. Hated the rushed/sloppy Two Face we get in TDK.

In response to Cats: yeah, definitely getting that vibe. It feels like an actioner from the 80's/90's where you know you won't get a really profound and deep story, but the writers know what they are doing. You get characters moments, you feel involved, the action is great. It works as long as you take it for what it is: a really entertaining actioner.

I'm gonna love this movie in that case

I can think of one particular scene that you might find fault with. It doesn't last that long though.

what I liked is that scene is that it really shows how lunatics they are. and the Joker comes as really threatening and intimidating.

That's true. I was impliying you worry for the characters because you have the feeling they could die.

Also, I liked the way the villain moved and talked, it was creepy and creative. The villain had a real presence. But you don't see much of said villain, and the motivations are basic.

About the cast: I was worried about Kinaman, but he does a really fine job. Cara delevingne was great imo. Same goes for Karen Fukuhara, even though she doesn't have a lot of lines. Croc was amazing. Jay Courtney has never been this good before.

How was Deadshot and Waller?

You just described what I was hoping for, I really want to enjoy the movie for what it is. You guys are so cool and I am smiling at the moment just because of these positive reactions. :yay:

:oneeds a repost
CpBsUY1XgAQfxvF.jpg

How was Deadshot and Waller?

I'm positive people will ask for more Waller, regardless of wether they liked the movie or not. She's a beast. Great writing and great acting.

Deadshot was Will Smith. I didn't see Floyd Lawton, I saw Will Smith. But he does it smoothly. I liked his arc with his daughter. Also, I like the score for his scenes with his daughter.

My initial thought is that Suicide Squad will actually end up doing very well at the box office.

First of all it's not a movie that takes itself too seriously. Second it's a lot more sexy (in all aspects of the term) than Batman vs Superman. Third it's got a pretty decent rewatchability quality.

If you walk into a Suicide Squad movie expecting Ingemar Bergman level drama there's something wrong with you anyway. Most gimmicks proceed from drama to action to farce. With films like SS you're entering farce territory.

I can absolutely live with a balls to the wall actioner with good characters. I'm an action film enthusiast. I watch and love almost anything (almost!) that Jason Statham makes and his films will ALWAYS be critically panned. Its just the nature of the beast.

If people think critically panned movies can't make money just look at Transformers.

I can absolutely live with a balls to the wall actioner with good characters. I'm an action film enthusiast. I watch and love almost anything (almost!) that Jason Statham makes and his films will ALWAYS be critically panned. Its just the nature of the beast.

No offense, but if the best DC can do is make Jason Statham-level quality films, then maybe they should just give up.

You just described what I was hoping for, I really want to enjoy the movie for what it is. You guys are so cool and I am smiling at the moment just because of these positive reactions. :yay:

Im so excited for tommorow.12 hrs to go :D

However, I still think more screen time devoted to the villain(s) the better.

For this case, I think they made the right choice spending more time on the "heroes" rather than the villain, because the DCEU is still new, and the members of the Suicide Squad are even newer to some. The villain is purely there just to give them a challenge, and a project to work on together. The focus is on the Suicide Squad, where it should be.

it felt like your "never stopping" actioner.

No offense, but if the best DC can do is make Jason Statham-level quality films, then maybe they should just give up.

Yeah honestly. Come on people this is the studio that brought out ground breaking, genre establishing films like Superman (1978), Batman (1989), and The Dark Knight! What the hell happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"