Suicide Squad: General Discussion and Speculation - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a hit out on Joker, Deadshot takes the contract. Batman's trying to stop Floyd from fulfilling the contract while simultaneously trying to lock the Joker back in Arkham.

Not bad.

I think you gotta go Deathstroke instead of Deadshot in that situation.

Bring in Tom Hardy or Brad Pitt for the role.

The movie certainly makes it seems that way, but again, we see virtually nothing from The Joker's perspective, or of him alone, aside from him asking where she is and threatening a guard with access to her.

His goal in the film is to get her back, from the very little we see of him outside of Harley's flashbacks. It's never explicitly clear whether that's because he loves her dearly, or simply wants his toy back, or is angered by the fact that someone else has a hold on her.

Either way, let's not act as if The Joker has never been shown to actually like or want Harley (for whatever reason) in other media.

Agreed. We're on the same page, Shape:up:

A LOT of people were in love in this movie :o

Harley and Joker's scenes together felt like a music video montage of an R love story of the pairing. Enough to make me wanna see the actual movie.

Just got back from this. I give it a 7/10.

My advice? See it if you want to see it. It's most likely not as bad as you might think.

There are some problems, though. The first act drags. The second and third acts blend together. Most of the emotional beats are rushed, forced, or feel unearned. There are things that happen that either aren't expanded upon enough or flat out don't make sense. The Joker's presence is superfluous and adds nothing. The film relies on the soundtrack one too many times. And finally, it is very clear that a lot of material was cut from this movie.

That said: it is not a bad film. It's actually very entertaining. The actors are fantastic, the action is top notch, the tone is perfect, and the direction is strong. In worse hands, this movie would've been a mess.

I think people will form their opinions on the movie based off of their reactions to the stylized form of storytelling Ayer employed. SS is a little quirkier than your average blockbuster. I can understand why it might turn some people off. Me, though? I enjoyed it, and would recommend that everyone give it its fair shake.

Thank you for the nuanced reply. I am genuinely curious, as most seem to be really liking that aspect of it. Even those that don't like the film overall.

No problem man. Looking forward to your review whenever you see it.:up:

In this cut of the film I felt that the Joker has real feelings for Harley.

If that is the case, then they screwed up royally. Joker doesn't have feelings for anyone, and only cares about himself;

joker_mad_love_1.jpg

There's a hit out on Joker, Deadshot takes the contract. Batman's trying to stop Floyd from fulfilling the contract while simultaneously trying to lock the Joker back in Arkham.

Not bad.

Deadshot asks batman why he would want to save the lunatics life and batman can't answer him thus thier relationship is explored throughout the movie

I think you gotta go Deathstroke instead of Deadshot in that situation.

Yeah, Slade would be a more worthy antagonist too. From what I hear, Floyd has sort of a redemption arc.

Slade is emotionally stunted and taking the Joker contract is his way of doing "good".

Yeah, you're right.

The movie certainly makes it seems that way, but again, we see virtually nothing from The Joker's perspective, or of him alone, aside from him asking where she is and threatening a guard with access to her.

His goal in the film is to get her back, from the very little we see of him outside of Harley's flashbacks. It's never explicitly clear whether that's because he loves her dearly, or simply wants his toy back, or is angered by the fact that someone else has a hold on her.

Either way, let's not act as if The Joker has never been shown to actually like or want Harley (for whatever reason) in other media.
I am a Timm verse and Arkham guy when it comes to Harley. Haven't read enough of her comic self to comment on it. Just not an aspect I have run into, that I am sure is there. :up:

If that is the case, then they screwed up royally. Joker doesn't have feelings for anyone, and only cares about himself;

joker_mad_love_1.jpg
I loved that BTNAS episode which also took from Mad Love. :hehe:
[YT]km9_hkx0Fb0[/YT]

I got a torn feeling coming from Joker. In a few scenes, he had absolutely NO regard for Harley whatsoever, but in the deep depths of his dark heart, he loves her. It's a great play of characters for a live action take on the two. They can explore so much with it.

That actually sounds kind of fascinating. However, it doesn't seem like the execution was there for others.

joker_mad_love_1.jpg
I think there's bits and pieces of the film where you can kinda tell they originally were going for the more comic accurate relationship between the two. Mostly from Harley where it seems like Margot's depicting Harley's reaction to realizing that maybe Mr.J isn't for her, but is now changed thanks to the editing. Makes her behavior seem kinda dissonant from the rest of the film.

No problem man. Looking forward to your review whenever you see it.:up:
Hopefully tomorrow, but if not then, Monday for sure. Will you have seen it again by then?

It was far from perfect, but it achieved two things that BvS never could do; make me smile and showed respect to the characters... therefore it was a success.

Leto's Joker was weird, but I was disappointed the “Buh-Bye” scene was cut. That looked like the best he did Joker-wise. I thought he'd go hire-pitched with the voice and we barely got any laughs... hmm.

A lot of weird editing and didn't let things develop in the first 1/3rd of the film. But, somehow the whole end battle last the last 2/3rds. I wish we got more of Harley/Joker, especially in the flashbacks and some in the current period.

Waller was badass, Boomerang was the best Jai has ever been, and Croc was outstanding for his little screen time. Just getting a live action Croc was worth it. Plus, Smith finally got to be Hitch/MIB/ID4 style Smith.

A solid 7/10, but could have hit 9/10 easily if the flashbacks were longer... editing wasn't so choppy... the flow from Belle Reve to Midway and back wasn't so odd around the ~30 minute mark.

Bring in Tom Hardy or Brad Pitt for the role.

Matt Damon for Deathstroke. He's already Jason Bourne. Slade would be the a darker mercenary take.

He already said he'd only be in a DC Film if Affleck were directing.

It was far from perfect, but it achieved two things that BvS never could do; make me smile and showed respect to the characters... therefore it was a success.

Leto's Joker was weird, but I was disappointed the “Buh-Bye” scene was cut. That looked like the best he did Joker-wise. I thought he'd go hire-pitched with the voice and we barely got any laughs... hmm.

A lot of weird editing and didn't let things develop in the first 1/3rd of the film. But, somehow the whole end battle last the last 2/3rds. I wish we got more of Harley/Joker, especially in the flashbacks and some in the current period.

Waller was badass, Boomerang was the best Jai has ever been, and Croc was outstanding for his little screen time. Just getting a live action Croc was worth it. Plus, Smith finally got to be Hitch/MIB/ID4 style Smith.

A solid 7/10, but could have hit 9/10 easily if the flashbacks were longer... editing wasn't so choppy... the flow from Belle Reve to Midway and back wasn't so odd around the ~30 minute mark.

After BvS and MoS they didn't want to risk longer movies...

Even though I liked them. The truth is a shorter bad movie is better than a longer bad movie.

Matt Damon for Deathstroke. He's already Jason Bourne. Slade would be the a darker mercenary take.

He already said he'd only be in a DC Film if Affleck were directing.

I just don't see Damon as Deathstroke.

Hush? Maybe. Harvey Dent/Two Face? Sure.

That actually sounds kind of fascinating. However, it doesn't seem like the execution was there for others.

I think that boils down to people wanting a heavy dose of Joker and not getting it. It's the Harley Quinn show here, not Jokers. I think people are going to miss it (and some probably will) because expectation is to see more of the duo, but here, Joker is kind of just reacting rather than full on having a bigger lead like we're use to seeing him. The love is there, but it's vividly imaginable to me to see Leto's Joker not hesitating to kill anybody, including Harley, but not before having some wise-cracks and some good 'ol fun.

Hopefully tomorrow, but if not then, Monday for sure. Will you have seen it again by then?

Yeah, I'm either going tomorrow night or Sunday afternoon-ish. Depending on my wife's schedule:word:

is it weird that I'm really upset they cut
Harley playing bartender? totally loved her "whatcha havin?" and "what about you hot-stuff?....that's a good idea honey" and "hope ya got insurance" during bat mobile chase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"