Supergirl Supergirl Costume Discussion Thread

Aesthetically speaking, the current cut of the top of the boots make her legs look more powerful, imo. Once you actually can see her knees, her legs will appear skinnier/weaker. Covering up the knees creates an illusion of sorts that suits the intended power aesthetic well, imo.

Last edited:
If the boots are the way they are padding then have them wrap all the around her leg, it just looks awkward to me.

Or give her pants.
SupergirlPants-362x550.jpg

latest

I think pants look terrible on her.

Pants on Supergirl looks terrible.
Giving Supergirl pants makes her look like every other female superhero show and movie character. Black Widow, Catwoman, Storm, Rogue, Alex, Lyra, White Canary, Black Canary, Gypsy, Speedy, Vixen,
Hawkgirl, Indigo, Livewire, Silver Banshee, Jessica Jones. Wonder Woman and Supergirl are the only ones with a skirt as part of the costume.
Look how the new Wonder Woman TV pilot bombed when they put Wonder Woman in long pants. Look how popular movie Wonder Woman is with a skirt.

Red K Supergirl was one of my fave looks and Melissa looked HOT
2016-03-15-sg-18.jpg

But the WW pilot didn't bomb because they put her in pants, it's because everything about the pilot was terrible besides the castings

In the end though I just need the boots to look better. Maybe add some trimming.

But the WW pilot didn't bomb because they put her in pants, it's because everything about the pilot was terrible besides the castings.

She looks like Astra's daughter.

One of the first criticisms on any list of why the Wonder Woman pilot was bad was the costume.

Yes but that wasnt the reason why the pilot bombed. And not to mention they put her in some shiny ash latex pants for their first promo pic.

If the boots went up in the back as high as they do in the front Melissa would not be as flexible, not mention her stunt double. Also, the side views would look weird if they went up front and back.

I think what they have done is the very best they can do that is aesthetically, physically, and functionally close to perfect for Melissa and the stunt double.

We can debate on this and that, but when Melissa says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...." tells me it is exactly as it should be.

If the boots went up in the back as high as they do in the front Melissa would not be as flexible, not mention her stunt double. Also, the side views would look weird if they went up front and back.

I think what they have done is the very best they can do that is aesthetically, physically, and functionally close to perfect for Melissa and the stunt double.

We can debate on this and that, but when Melissa says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...." tells me it is exactly as it should be.
Right on Kelly! The fact that Melissa likes the suit as is means it's functional or those element(s) would have been changed all ready. Ascetically, well people's individual taste particularly with things like color are subjective. Personally I think the designers nailed the suit the first time. I like that her \S/ is different from any other film version, it makes it distinctive. I wore my teeshirt with the shows version on the \S/ and someone on the train recognized it as from the show and started a conversation with me, that wouldn't have happened if they went with the yellow background.

Melissa would say that about the tv show in general but it doesn't change the fact that it still can be improved. Her outfit is the least constraining of the any of the customed heroes in the Flarrowgirl-verse so of course she would enjoy it. Improving upon it doesnt mean it would lose anything that she likes about it.

I am sure they would be able to find a way to fix the boots if they wanted.

Melissa would say that about the tv show in general but it doesn't change the fact that it still can be improved. Her outfit is the least constraining of the any of the customed heroes in the Flarrowgirl-verse so of course she would enjoy it. Improving upon it doesnt mean it would lose anything that she likes about it.

I am sure they would be able to find a way to fix the boots if they wanted.
Least constraining, you know there's a corset supporting the cape under the blue leotard. I wouldn't call that not constraining. Melissa said she can't get out of the suit without help Carly Lotz said she can't get in or out of her costume without help. None of the men need any help.

Last edited:
I never said it didn't constrain her. Grant has said how constraining his outfit was, he could barely bend, had to glue his mask on.

I never said it didn't constrain her. Grant has said how constraining his outfit was, he could barely bend, had to glue his mask on.

He doesn't do hand to hand every single episode, sometimes more than once in an episode. Comparing them is apples and oranges.

And honestly, there just isn't a reason to change anything....it has all worked well, some don't like this or that, but the grand majority of people love, like, or perfectly fine with the suit as it is....and if Melissa is happy with it, cool.... as she said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Also, they can still use some earlier flight footage in order to save money and time there to add some place else...and if there is too much of a change in the suit all of that flight footage is screwed. Yes they can CGI some stuff out and put some stuff in....but ask DC Films/Warner Bros. how much fun and cost that will be for Cavill and the reshoots they are doing....

Last edited:
Everybody likes something. There are people that liked the New 52 costume but I think that is the worst Supergirl costume ever. And then there are people that liked a sexed up version of Supergirl with the belly shirt.
But to me that looked exploitive. I would have maybe made the skirt a little longer, but otherwise this is the perfect Supergirl costume.

Speaking of reusing footage, that was why everyone on Bonanza wore the same clothes throughout the series. So they could reuse footage of the horseback riding scenes.

Kelly, you mean DC Films/Warner Bros. if you are referring to Cavill's mustache and the reshoots for Justice League.

Everybody likes something. There are people that liked the New 52 costume but I think that is the worst Supergirl costume ever. And then there are people that liked a sexed up version of Supergirl with the belly shirt.
But to me that looked exploitive. I would have maybe made the skirt a little longer, but otherwise this is the perfect Supergirl costume.

Speaking of reusing footage, that was why everyone on Bonanza wore the same clothes throughout the series. So they could reuse footage of the horseback riding scenes.

Kelly, you mean DC Films/Warner Bros. if you are referring to Cavill's mustache and the reshoots for Justice League.

Yes.....sorry, tough week.

He doesn't do hand to hand every single episode, sometimes more than once in an episode. Comparing them is apples and oranges.

And honestly, there just isn't a reason to change anything....it has all worked well, some don't like this or that, but the grand majority of people love, like, or perfectly fine with the suit as it is....and if Melissa is happy with it, cool.... as she said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Also, they can still use some earlier flight footage in order to save money and time there to add some place else...and if there is too much of a change in the suit all of that flight footage is screwed. Yes they can CGI some stuff out and put some stuff in....but ask DC Films/Warner Bros. how much fun and cost that will be for Cavill and the reshoots they are doing....

Melissa is a fan of Karamel so does that mean that it isn't a problem for the show?

And Cavills mustache problems are nothing to do with Supergirl or costumes. They reuse footage on The Flash all the time does that mean that they should just keep the costume the same to save the $$$?

Melissa is a fan of Karamel so does that mean that it isn't a problem for the show?

And Cavills mustache problems are nothing to do with Supergirl or costumes. They reuse footage on The Flash all the time does that mean that they should just keep the costume the same to save the $$$?

What? That makes no sense....but ok. Cool...

Bottom line however, is......they aren't changing the suit, so debate on it is pretty much a waste of time. :)

BTW, Melissa hasn't given her "attaboy" with any of the ships, when they ask her answer always is....."I just want Kara to be happy...." ;)

Last edited:
I'm one of the ones who liked the New 52 suit...:oldrazz: But I like this suit/skirt set up just as much. I would have liked her in pants too. But then I'm easy.

All three options can look pretty good, but only one of them has a legacy reaching back to the character's first appearance. The skirt is iconic for Supergirl and is unique in that really no other super hero uses one, at least that I know of.

I'm not too knowledgeable on comic heroines, but I think Gal's Wonder Woman is the only other high profile character to wear a skirt. And in that, it's more a form of armor than anything else.

Anyway, that long association is a good reason to stay with skirts, as that is as much Supergirl as her powers are.

As to changing the one she has now, I don't see the reason to do so. Most want her in skirts anyway, so we're talking minimal changes, such as a slightly different cut or colored trimming. Her skirt is not too long as to be cumbersome and not so short as to be sl**y, the belt is a nice size with a simple, nice design, the symbol is unique and hers alone and the bodice and shoulders are padded just enough to suggest physical strength without being ridiculous.

Put simply, it's perfect.

Doesn't seem to be. By now everyone knows about Karamel and Supergirl still had the second highest viewership of all the CW show right up until the season finale.
And Supergirl is consistently getting over 1 million viewers in the reruns while Flash and Arrow only get around 0.7 million.

I like the current suit.

I might like some sort of hypothetical redesign also, I guess. I don't have very specific expectations in that area.

I am against a mustache, however. Sorry, just skimmed that part of the thread :cwink:

No facial hair...if he comes back straight on as Valor.
Facial hair...if he comes back as Mon-el.

I ship Mon-El with facial hair, Chris Wood looks his best with stubble.

Bottom line however, is......they aren't changing the suit, so debate on it is pretty much a waste of time. :)

They may not be changing it this season but it will get modifications probably by S4 as all the suits do.

I ship Mon-El with facial hair, Chris Wood looks his best with stubble.

They may not be changing it this season but it will get modifications probably by S4 as all the suits do.

I could see them putting the S on the back, and maybe a change to the S on her chest, slight changer there wouldn't be a big deal. Other than that, just no need. Change for the sake of change means little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"