Supergirl Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supergirl's status will not be in any way adversely affected by the drop in ratings. Worrying about that at this point is unnecessary and a little silly.

Nope. When she's talking about Kal-El, we see Jor-El and Lara put him in his pod.

All told, the Pilot showed us 8 members of Kara's families.

You're right. Forgot that you actually saw his parents. :cwink:

R5

The original 13 episodes will still on the air?

They are making thirteen, and have already completed nine or ten. Presumably they will air at some point, even if the show does so badly that it gets pulled after a few episodes.

R5

This interview with the producers is a must read:

In your version of the universe, Superman is never going to appear, but he is discussed. Is that Superman supposed to be the Superman of the movies or not?

Sarah Shechter: I really think it doesn’t matter. I think that this whole notion that we did Supergirl because Superman wasn’t available is wrong. I think that Supergirl is such an interesting character and is so under-explored that the opportunity there was so enormous. And I think the reason why Superman’s not in the show is because it’s not about him. And it’s her show and it’s about her and he is just sort of a shadow in the back of her psyche, and I think that’s the right way to portray him because that’s how she experiences it.

Andrew Kreisberg: But it’s not specifically the Christopher Reeve tie in to the universe. It’s not the Christopher Reeve version. It’s not the Henry Cavill version. It’s a version of Superman and what he has gone through in the world that we live in and the things that he’s faced and what’s happened to him vis-a-vis how it reflects on Kara is all our invention.

In the CW shows, when things get really, really bad, Arrow and Flash can team up. You’ve introduced a major ongoing threat to the world in this pilot, and Superman does exist in this world. Have you guys figured out how to explain why they won't be teaming up?

Ali Adler: We will find a way to address that question.

Andrew Kreisberg: It’s actually one of the big storylines of the third episode about what Superman means in this world, what he means to Kara and what people’s view of him is in relation to her. Kara says says to somebody, like, "I don’t want to be his cousin, you know, I want him to be my cousin. And I want people to think of me in the same way that they think about him." And it’s really the episode where the city starts to turn towards supporting her in a way that they previously hadn’t.

There's a big action set piece early in the pilot, and then a big battle late between Supergirl and Vartox. Some combination of you four has worked on both "No Ordinary Family" and "The Flash," so you have some level of experience with doing super-powered action on network TV. Have you had a sense yet of whether you can do things that big weekly or not?

Greg Berlanti: There’s a bigger fight in the second episode than there is in anything in the first episode. I think we learned a lot from "Flash" is in terms of the prep work that happens. It starts months in advance. Before we even have outlines for the scripts we start, visualizing and storyboarding some of the sequences. And sometimes we don’t finish them until a day or so before air. So you have eight, nine weeks working on a shot and you have to be really organized about that element of the show and know that you have more flexibility. And you have to get the network and the studio to sign off on that element of it a lot earlier, so that you can actually start fabricating them.

Andrew Kreisberg: It’s actually a weird mix of "Arrow" and "Flash," because it obviously has the digital effects that "Flash" does but it actually has a lot more stunt work. There’s a lot more actual stunt people fighting.

Greg Berlanti: And more aerial stunt stuff than we have on either of the shows.

The pilot, as you've talked about, really has the lighter feel of the Richard Donner/Christopher Reeve Superman movies, and that’s not at all the tone that the DC movies have been going for of late. Was there any pushback from DC in your dealings with them when you said you wanted a lighter tone for Supergirl?

Ali Adler: No, they said, "Go find Supergirl."

Andrew Kreisberg: I think they just want their universe, just like in the books, to be all those different colors. And they also know that that’s a lot of all of our strengths. We move more in those waters. And plus that tone is good for being on television, I think, where people want to come every week. It doesn’t mean we don’t have danger and gravitas and hopefully the same stakes when we need them. But there is just an element of fun that I think lends itself to the TV side of it.

I know Nina (Tassler) said there aren’t going to be crossovers, but do your versions of Flash and Arrow exist in some other neighborhood of her world?

Greg Berlanti: Look I think in success anything’s possible but the reality is, on "Flash" and "Arrow" we haven’t mentioned Superman, and Superman’s in this universe. So we would have to do a bit of our own retconning if we were ever to make that a possibility. So that hasn’t happened yet but, again, if the show does well on its own, I think anything’s possible.

But does the fact that there isn’t a definitive Supergirl story actually help?

Sarah Shechter: That’s what’s exciting for us, is that our canvas is much more easily painted because people aren’t stuck in ideas of who Superman is want this version or that version. We get to take the most choice bits, as Andrew was saying, and weave it together and just give you our Supergirl.

Andrew Kreisberg: People are surprised when I tell them we work on "Supergirl." How many people actually don’t know who she is, even ones in the general public and are comic book fans. But which in a way is exciting, because that means that we’re able to bring a lot more to it. And that all you really need to come to the show is just like a little bit of knowledge of Superman for you to enjoy the meal.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wa...not-in-the-show-is-because-its-not-about-him?

More confirmation that Superman will be just a "blur"... they contradict themselves a bit, if they want the show to be all about Supergirl, then there should not be a blurred Superman at all, it was unnecessary. But they're right about having more freedom with Supergirl, the public doesn't know her as well as Superman, allowing them to do more with the character.

This interview with the producers is a must read:

More confirmation that Superman will be just a "blur"... they contradict themselves a bit, if they want the show to be all about Supergirl, then there should not be a blurred Superman at all, it was unnecessary. But they're right about having more freedom with Supergirl, the public doesn't know her as well as Superman, allowing them to do more with the character.

Exactly, whatever they say I guarantee they can't use Superman right now with the new movie on the way. Fingers crossed that one day he gets to show up as a character but even if not a little shadowy/blurry Superman is fine by me.

I do kind of wish he'd had some sort of a relationship with Kara though. There's no reason they couldn't have said he visited her from time to time or start an episode where she says just got back from Metropolis visiting my cousin etc. Hey maybe we can get a compromise and get her visiting the Kent's in Smallville for an episode.

Exactly, whatever they say I guarantee they can't use Superman right now with the new movie on the way. Fingers crossed that one day he gets to show up as a character but even if not a little shadowy/blurry Superman is fine by me.

I do kind of wish he'd had some sort of a relationship with Kara though. There's no reason they couldn't have said he visited her from time to time or start an episode where she says just got back from Metropolis visiting my cousin etc. Hey maybe we can get a compromise and get her visiting the Kent's in Smallville for an episode.

That's the thing with Berlanti & co, they have a tendency to make weird or bad creative decisions. On Arrow, they had Oliver sleeping with Laurel's sister, to many fans it makes a relationship between them impossible, ruining the classic Green Arrow-Black Canary ship. Then on The Flash, they make Barry and Iris foster siblings, making a relationship between them weird, it seems most fans would rather see Barry with Caitlin or the new favorite, Patty, instead of the classic Barry-Iris from the comics.

Now with Supergirl, they make Clark this distant cousin that can't even bother to share the FOS with Kara, it has to be the freaking DEO that gives her access to the Kryptonian tech to communicate with Alura. All Berlanti and company needed to do was include (like you said) a couple of lines where Kara says Clark visited her, that he was her protector (besides the Danvers) when she was a kid, that he helped her adjust to Earth... It seems that he just left Kara with the Danvers and hasn't talk to her ever since, that's why she doesn't even fully control her powers yet, etc. Very superdickery from his part, maybe this is Berlanti's version of "Superman is a dick": http://www.superdickery.com/tag/superman-is-a-dick/

Tweet from CBS...

#CBSRatingNews: W/L3 #Supergirl flies into top 10 in viewers, A18-49 and A25-54; Weeks top broadcast drama in A18-49

SOURCE

One note to take from this, despite the appearance of a NY team (The Mets), Supergirl beats the World Series.

That's the thing with Berlanti & co, they have a tendency to make weird or bad creative decisions. On Arrow, they had Oliver sleeping with Laurel's sister, to many fans it makes a relationship between them impossible, ruining the classic Green Arrow-Black Canary ship. Then on The Flash, they make Barry and Iris foster siblings, making a relationship between them weird, it seems most fans would rather see Barry with Caitlin or the new favorite, Patty, instead of the classic Barry-Iris from the comics.

Now with Supergirl, they make Clark this distant cousin that can't even bother to share the FOS with Kara, it has to be the freaking DEO that gives her access to the Kryptonian tech to communicate with Alura. All Berlanti and company needed to do was include (like you said) a couple of lines where Kara says Clark visited her, that he was her protector (besides the Danvers) when she was a kid, that he helped her adjust to Earth... It seems that he just left Kara with the Danvers and hasn't talk to her ever since, that's why she doesn't even fully control her powers yet, etc. Very superdickery from his part, maybe this is Berlanti's version of "Superman is a dick": http://www.superdickery.com/tag/superman-is-a-dick/

I guess they aren't always going to get stuff right though so we have to begrudge them a few mistakes.

Tbh I think the Oliver Laurel relationship in Arrow is impossible now, it just won't seem natural anymore. I also don't see how that version of Barry can hook up with Iris either. However they don't bother me to much, I don't mind them putting thee characters with diffent people as long as they don't force them together by the end just because it fits in with the comics. It has to feel natural.

The FOS element doesn't actually bother me tbh as it's been established that this version of the character wanted her to choose the superhero life for herself. I also think Superman dropping her off with a foster family is actually what he would do. He was brought up by the Kent's himself who weren't his real parents. I just think their lack of relationship is what bugs me. This is why I don't believe the creators when they say they can use Superman in the show, surely they would have had them have some kind of relationship. I think the focus been on Kara comments are just an excuse really. Still they could have had phone calls, her coming back from visits etc without us having to see him so from that aspect I think they made a bad decision. Thankfully it's not a deal breaker.

Tbh I think the Oliver Laurel relationship in Arrow is impossible now, it just won't seem natural anymore. I also don't see how that version of Barry can hook up with Iris either. However they don't bother me to much, I don't mind them putting thee characters with diffent people as long as they don't force them together by the end just because it fits in with the comics. It has to feel natural.

The FOS element doesn't actually bother me tbh as it's been established that this version of the character wanted her to choose the superhero life for herself. I also think Superman dropping her off with a foster family is actually what he would do. He was brought up by the Kent's himself who weren't his real parents. I just think their lack of relationship is what bugs me. This is why I don't believe the creators when they say they can use Superman in the show, surely they would have had them have some kind of relationship. I think the focus been on Kara comments are just an excuse really. Still they could have had phone calls, her coming back from visits etc without us having to see him so from that aspect I think they made a bad decision. Thankfully it's not a deal breaker.

Well, they're big fans of the Flash, so I think they will end the show with Barry and Iris together, they are married in the future, but who knows. Back on the FOS thing, it would make more sense for Clark to share it with Kara, specially because it allows her to communicate with her mother, it would be the right thing to do, her becoming a superhero is a separate thing. But yeah, the lack of communication between them is kind of sad, not the relationship you would want for such great characters.

Well, they're big fans of the Flash, so I think they will end the show with Barry and Iris together, they are married in the future, but who knows. Back on the FOS thing, it would make more sense for Clark to share it with Kara, specially because it allows her to communicate with her mother, it would be the right thing to do, her becoming a superhero is a separate thing. But yeah, the lack of communication between them is kind of sad, not the relationship you would want for such great characters.

Oh yeah for sure and that to me us more salvageable than Ollie and Laurel.

I get that yeah but to reveal that he would have probably pushed her into a life he didn't knew if she wanted. Not to mention aswell he may not have and probably didn't know that Kara had tech she could talk to her mother with (Infact didn't Alex bring it?). So if he took her to the FOS she would have spoke to Jor El only.

I still think Superman should be an occaisional sweeps guest. it is just weird how they deal with him. Although I would really rather Arrow and Flash team up with her than anything.

I still think Superman should be an occaisional sweeps guest. it is just weird how they deal with him. Although I would really rather Arrow and Flash team up with her than anything.

Agreed :up:

I feel the show is too campy. They should have started with a younger Kara. Smallville in the beginning worked quite well because of Clark's development. They are trying to make look her hurdles to be death threatening when they are not. Feels way forced....

Not at all. Supergirl is a campy character to work with, and this show uses camp properly.

If and when, I'm still going to say that, if and when Superman appears, I wonder if this will be his look. I mean, doesn't this fanart look like the costume he's wearing on the show?

cbs_s_superman__how_i_imagine_him_by_jasontodd1fan-d9fklc1.jpg

I haven't seen any camp yet.

I've seen humor. But they're not the same thing.

Yeah, I'm not really sure where people are getting the camp either....possibly with the snake scene, but to me that was just funny, not necessarily camp, but the closest thing to it I guess.

"Campy" is one of those terms that's been so overused that it's lost all real meaning by this point.

"Campy" is one of those terms that's been so overused that it's lost all real meaning by this point.

I see campy as the dog covering his eyes in the first Fantastic Four movie on the bridge. Haven't seen any of that kind of thing in Supergirl.

I think camp is being used in place of cheesy here. A lot of the dialogue/jokes/one liners are horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"