Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 56

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by flickchick85, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Greens

Greens I am Danny DeVito

Hopefully her character is less awful this time around.

2. kguillou

kguillou Registered

I think also, its getting to the point where MCU fans are starting to expect too much from Feige and these slate announcements, it's almost like its never enough. Feige announced a whole bunch of movies and tv shows at comic con for phase 4 and people still seem to be like "and....what else???" What's announced has to be enough for the time being and just focus on that. I knew there wasnt going to be any phase 5 announcements yesterday or Xmen or F4 news, thats putting the cart way before the horse.

KRYPTON INC. and flickchick85 like this.
  3. Flint Marko

Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

I get people shrugging their shoulders at a lot of these forthcoming movies/shows as they aren’t, on first glance, the most exciting properties, but yeah. The sheer amount of content heading our way in the next few years is pretty impressive.

4. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

I'm sorry but this f***ing sucks!

Deck Rickard and Kahran Ramsus like this.
  5. Erzengel

Erzengel |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

It’s sad. I would have loved if they were able to get one more Spider-Man movie. But hey, a Sony Spider-Man Universe should be very sustainable.

6. Travesty

Travesty Registered

7. Shinobi Shaw

Shinobi Shaw The Black King of THC

It would've been nice to keep Spidey in the MCU, but after all these years and movies, we've seen everything we've needed to see from his stories and different incarnations on screen. We watched him fight the Green Goblin, we watched him fall in love with Mary Jane, we watched Gwen Stacy fall to her doom, we've seen Venom, we've seen the spider-verse. I love the wallcrawler, but I'm good.

But sidebar, I really can't think of who could play She-Hulk except for Gina Carano. But then she's going to have her plate full with the Mandalorian.

8. Deck Rickard

Deck Rickard Bright Lord

Yeah but now we'll get the supercool team up, Spider-Man v. Venom: Turds of Justice!

The Joker likes this.
  9. Drizzle

Drizzle I'm gonna get real weird with it

Surely they can get a better actress than Gina Carano. I assume they're going to give She-Hulk the same sort of treatment that Smart Hulk got in Endgame. I don't think they're going the green paint route for this one.

10. Deck Rickard

Deck Rickard Bright Lord

Yeah, I'm hoping that Carano is good in The Mandalorian (and I think she will be; I don't think they would have cast her if should couldn't handle her herself around some of the other talent there), but I think they'll get someone more talented for She-Hulk. And it's not like actresses are opposed to packing on some muscle the way male actors do for these roles. A few come to mind...

Lena Headey
    Emily Blunt
    Daisy Ridley
    Cynthia Erivo

11. Shinobi Shaw

Shinobi Shaw The Black King of THC

I would imagine that too. What about Laura Prepon? I can see her doing it justice. She has Jen's lawyer look and then she can really cut loose when she transforms. She also has good comedic timing.

12. m1ll3r

m1ll3r Failed experiment

The thing about the image of Palpatine in that Rise Of Skywalker poster being a Hot Toy is hilarious!

...shows that a) Disney are half assing this thing from the get go, and b) McDarmid is obviously not actually in the movie, otherwise they would have used his real image for the poster.

#9562 m1ll3r, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    OutOfBoose likes this.
  13. Slade W

Slade W "Who Is Slade?"

I finally saw Into The Spider-Verse and while I enjoyed it, it did not live up to the hype at all for me, unfortunately.

AVEITWITHJAMON likes this.
  14. Travesty

Travesty Registered

I absolutely loved it. Easily the best animation in any movie I've ever seen. Great story, and the voice acting was on point.

The only thing I didn't like, was how Miles was in pajamas for 99% of the movie. :hehe:

Lencho01 and m1ll3r like this.
  15. kguillou

kguillou Registered

I feel you but I wont be satisfied until:

A) we get a proper symbiote/ Venom story on film
    B) Kravens Last Hunt

I need these two to happen on film before I’ve had my fill of Spiderman.

16. hafizbat

hafizbat Registered

So the future of the MCU is:

Black Widow
    Eternals
    Falcon/Winter Soldier
    Shang-Chi
    Loki
    WandaVision
    Dr. Strange MoM
    Thor LaT
    What If
    Hawkeye
    GotG 3
    Black Panther 2
    Blade
    Moon Knight
    Ms. Marvel
    She-Hulk
    Captain Marvel 2
    X-Men
    Fantastic Four

That's a TON of content, and I'm sure most of it will be fine and some will be be hits. I don't really feel the same hype about the MCU though. I don't see myself tuning in for all of these titles as I can probably count on one hand the ones I'm really looking forward to. Endgame was really the end of an era, where every MCU movie was an event and I was really invested in the overall universe. It's hard to keep that going for over a decade. Can't say I'm really interested in most of these B and C tier characters.

Having said that, the MCU's greatest achievement was turning less popular characters into smash hits. As long as they can develop IPs the way they did the Avengers, Iron Man, Cap, Thor, and the Guardians of the Galaxy, they'll be fine.

The CBM I'm by far most hyped for is now Reeves' Batman. Just goes to show that in the end, the IP really matters. It's why characters like Batman and Spider-Man will always be the big shots, no matter how many reboots they've had. I have no doubt that their stories will be recycled and retold as long as superhero movies are made.

I'm rambling now, but with Phase 4, the MCU has really turned the cinematic side into something resembling a comic bookstore. There will be tons of titles and characters running, but only an arc here and there will be really outstanding. In this case, instead of a writer it will be a director that will elevate a character. And the bestsellers will always remain the big popular ones like Batman and Spider-Man.

17. hafizbat

hafizbat Registered

Eh, I don't think it really works like that. Look at how many movies James Bond has had, lol. And his story follows most of the same beats every time.

I think it's more appropriate to think of characters like Batman and Spider-Man as filling an appetite. Fans will always be hungry for more (eventually). And a quality version always hits the spot.

In other words, I'm more keen on things being good rather than new or fresh. For example I would much rather have a great Spidey vs Venom movie over something like a Parker Industries movie, even though the former has technically been done before and the latter has not.

18. I Am The Knight

I Am The Knight Tonight's a good night.

Where are you getting this from?

19. m1ll3r

m1ll3r Failed experiment

All over Twitter.

20. Boy Scout

Boy Scout Registered

Forget Superman a third time and we’ll have a problem. :o

hafizbat likes this.
  21. OutOfBoose

OutOfBoose Russian Hacker

I believe Disney didn't need Spider-Man all that much after IW saga. They were more than ready to risk him for better deal. MCU makes money even on C-list characters. And now with FF and X-Men they can make CBM till the end of time.

I wonder if they will address sudden disappearance of the friendly neighbor.

22. MbJ

MbJ Registered

Someday he'll get his time to shine again. Someday...

That's what I feel so many are missing about the controversy. I keep seeing people acting as though the MCU's goose is cooked without Spider-Man because he was the only thing the franchise had going for it. Even seen a few posts and Tweets predicting that they'll rush to deage Captain America or resurrect Iron Man to compensate.

That's not really the case. Even in a worst case scenario where the new properties like Shang-Chi, the Eternals and Blade fail to take off, they still have sequels coming for Black Panther (their highest grossing solo film ever; yes, even more than Far From Home and Iron Man 3), Thor, Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel and the Guardians of the Galaxy, all of whom have built-in fanbases. And then not long after that, presumably something with the X-Men and Deadpool, who are similarly very broadly popular.

Losing Spider-Man was a blow, but it's not even remotely the fatal wound some fans are making it out to be.

#9572 MbJ, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Shuri, Bayne, KRYPTON INC. and 2 others like this.
  23. Timebomb

Timebomb Registered

I'm not worried that it's a fatal blow to the MCU. It's not.
    I'm worried it's a fatal blow to film Spiderman.

I'm also personally bummed we won't get Spidey interacting with the F4 and others.

Bayne and Kahran Ramsus like this.
  24. hafizbat

hafizbat Registered

He hasn't had a good movie in my lifetime so you'll have to forgive me :oldrazz:

Seriously though, we're in so deep that characters like Moon Knight and She-Hulk are on the way. DC needs to get their act together and give us a proper Supes. It's a damn tragedy he's missing out on the CBM renaissance we are living in.

25. Sithborg

Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

You know, Disney is not doing itself a ton of favors in PR.

Disney Legend is an actual award. But I feel it is an award to force people into brands. And it feels particularly disgusting here.

MbJ likes this.