Superman & Lois General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS!)

If there are coherent “rules” and “logic” to the new Earth-Prime continuity, I don’t understand them. Perhaps we’re just supposed to go-with-it and not analyze too deeply. :word:

Arrowverse Wiki (not necessarily gospel) provides a list of characters who either retained their “prior Earths” memories or had them restored in one fashion or another. Clark Kent/Superman is on the list; but Lois Lane is not. Thus, Lois wouldn’t have any personal trauma about a dead/erased son — because, for her, that reality never happened. Clark, OTOH, might have some distressing dual memories. But I don’t recall this being addressed in the S&L pilot teleplay.

Moreover, the notion of dual memories would seem to be arbitrary (if not problematic). Kara, for instance, knows her Earth-38 history; but she has no memory of recording a promo for the Earth-Prime Lex and DEO. So by that reckoning, will she be shocked to discover that her cousin has two teenaged sons instead of a single newborn? Or will she “remember” this reality much like Clark “remembers” it? But why would Kara accept/recall this detail as an alternative reality but staunchly repudiate the promo?

:shrug:

Since these shows tend to pay homages from previous iterations, then I hope we get to see Tyler's Superman have his own "stop the world engine" moment in this show.

SizzlingDistantAustraliankelpie-size_restricted.gif

Now that he's the lead of his own show, I hope we get to finally see Tyler's Superman really claim the title of being one of Earth-Prime's greatest heroes.

That looks like Superman is battling against the raging water of a shower. :o

I may be the only one here who doesn't care one iota about any Arrowverse continuity stuff, especially with the crossovers. As soon as they had Oliver shoot Earth-X Kara with a Kryptonite arrow, despite having no reason to know about or have access to Kryptonite on his Kryptonian-less Earth considering he met Kara once for a day before returning to her own Earth, I was like, "nope, let's not even try to explain it." And that attitude's worked out great for me ever since. :funny:

As far as I'm concerned, they should feel free to treat this show as the beginning of its own continuity, with its own backstories and villains that don't need to be beholden to anything or anyone that appeared in the previous shows, and Crisis is their excuse to do that, nothing more. They can pick and choose what elements they want to bring over from other shows, and that's perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned.

I may be the only one here who doesn't care one iota about any Arrowverse continuity stuff, especially with the crossovers. As soon as they had Oliver shoot Earth-X Kara with a Kryptonite arrow, despite having no reason to know about or have access to Kryptonite on his Kryptonian-less Earth considering he met Kara once for a day before returning to her own Earth, I was like, "nope, let's not even try to explain it." And that attitude's worked out great for me ever since. :funny:

As far as I'm concerned, they should feel free to treat this show as the beginning of its own continuity, with its own backstories and villains that don't need to be beholden to anything or anyone that appeared in the previous shows, and Crisis is their excuse to do that, nothing more. They can pick and choose what elements they want to bring over from other shows, and that's perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned.

We’re in the same boat and tbh most of the audience won’t care anyway. It’s why I don’t get stuck up on details like well how old were they when they had the boys etc. It’s not really relevant either it’s pretty much just geek stuff.

I think that’s exactly what they’re doing. The go to answer for everything now is “Crisis” :funny:

We’re in the same boat and tbh most of the audience won’t care anyway. It’s why I don’t get stuck up on details like well how old were they when they had the boys etc. It’s not really relevant either it’s pretty much just geek stuff.

I think that’s exactly what they’re doing. The go to answer for everything now is “Crisis” :funny:

Well the audience surely will pick up on some things which are illogical unless they're completely dumb. What if Superman and Lois's teenage son had a teenage son?

It’s just sloppy. I understand that sometimes scenes get deleted, exposition drags, and the “rule of cool” often trumps all, but these shows often feature genuinely terrible writing and I find it maddening.

Meh I just don’t think it’s that big of a deal to be trying to figure out how old Lois & Superman were when they got together and all that jazz. What we need to know got established I’m Crisis and I’m gonna enjoy the show as it is without needing to know all the little details of the hows, whys and when’s which aren’t actually important to the story been told.

With two highschool teenage sons, Lois Lane has to be well into her 40s on this show, Tulloch looks old enough to pull that off.

So how is mid-50s actor Dylan Walsh playing her dad? Unless they use makeup to significantly age him up, he's going to look more like her love interest.

Meh I just don’t think it’s that big of a deal to be trying to figure out how old Lois & Superman were when they got together and all that jazz. What we need to know got established I’m Crisis and I’m gonna enjoy the show as it is without needing to know all the little details of the hows, whys and when’s which aren’t actually important to the story been told.

I’m not arguing that it’s essential knowledge of anything like that. And frankly, they might address that particular question as the series goes along (i.e. Clark celebrates his birthday and we figure out he’s a little older than he was pre-Crisis). My post was basically a complaint about the wider sloppiness and bad writing that seems to still be prevalent in the Arrowverse. Smaller details like that - although unimportant in and of themselves - are indicative of the bigger problem.

With two highschool teenage sons, Lois Lane has to be well into her 40s on this show, Tulloch looks old enough to pull that off.

So how is mid-50s actor Dylan Walsh playing her dad? Unless they use makeup to significantly age him up, he's going to look more like her love interest.

I hope the actors cast as her sons are actual teenagers or very near to that age. If they are of an age like Andrew Garfield, or how people in their 30s were playing teenagers in Grease, then they're also going to look like Lois's younger love interests as well.

Wasn't the actress playing Nora on the Flash older than Barry and Iris? Or at least the same age?

I hope the actors cast as her sons are actual teenagers or very near to that age. If they are of an age like Andrew Garfield, or how people in their 30s were playing teenagers in Grease, then they're also going to look like Lois's younger love interests as well.

Wasn't the actress playing Nora on the Flash older than Barry and Iris? Or at least the same age?

Yeah she was older, but that made sense in context. She was a 30-something speedster who traveled back to meet her parents when they were young.

I rarely give Flash praise anymore, but Blacksails was good casting as Nora.

Yeah she was older, but that made sense in context. She was a 30-something speedster who traveled back to meet her parents when they were young.

I rarely give Flash praise anymore, but Blacksails was good casting as Nora.

I don't know if Nora was meant to be in her 30s. She didn't act like it. Surely she would be more mature and wiser, and maybe offering them some advice. She definitely seemed younger, which is why it was a bit odd that a mid-thirties actress was playing younger than Grant and Candice who were in their late 20s at the time (or at least Grant - I'm not sure how old Candice is).

If the pre-Crisis continuity still applies, Superman is currently 41 (born in 1979). And assuming Lois is roughly the same age, there’s been enough time to have mid-teen sons. But just barely. Certainly, juggling parenthood and building careers as a world-famous superhero and world-famous investigative reporter must have been tricky. :word: Sam Lane would need to be at least 60.

Then again, we already have Brenda Strong and Jon Cryer playing Mother and Son... and they are 5 years apart.

Brenda-Strong.jpg
GettyImages-1210668761.jpg

And they didn't bother to age her up onscreen. Best not to think about it.

Maybe they tried to say it was Lex's illness that made him appear older. Although why not try to fix himself when he became a paragon? Could've even cured his baldness.

It’s called acting, check up on many ages of actors in roles and you’ll find the gaps are often not that big. Example Indiana Jones, Harrison Ford and Sean Connery.

I’m not arguing that it’s essential knowledge of anything like that. And frankly, they might address that particular question as the series goes along (i.e. Clark celebrates his birthday and we figure out he’s a little older than he was pre-Crisis). My post was basically a complaint about the wider sloppiness and bad writing that seems to still be prevalent in the Arrowverse. Smaller details like that - although unimportant in and of themselves - are indicative of the bigger problem.

Hey it’s cool, if it does bother you or anyone else then that’s ok I’m just saying from my POV it isn’t important,

I don’t disagree in the sloppy bad writing on these shows at times, Supergirl is one of the worst written shows for me.

It’s called acting, check up on many ages of actors in roles and you’ll find the gaps are often not that big. Example Indiana Jones, Harrison Ford and Sean Connery.

Oh, 'acting.' Thanks, never heard of that before. :cwink:

Connery definitely appeared older than Ford onscreen.
9a3824fd6447bb8ff138697b7c58a2ef.jpg

Enough to buy them as father and son. Connery played older than his age at the time there, and looked it.

Oh, 'acting.' Thanks, never heard of that before. :cwink:

Connery definitely appeared older than Ford onscreen.
9a3824fd6447bb8ff138697b7c58a2ef.jpg

Enough to buy them as father and son. Connery played older than his age at the time there, and looked it.

Which is exactly what backs up my point, I believe Connery was like 10 years older only or something. So actors can be made to look older or even just simply appear older, other example Diane Lane in Man of Steel.

They didn't bother making Lillian Luthor look age appropriate to Cryer's Lex, so we'll see.

They didn't bother making Lillian Luthor look age appropriate to Cryer's Lex, so we'll see.
Lillian was cast in season two while Lex wasn’t until season four. When they cast Lillian they probably never thought DC/WB would ever let them use Lex. They went with the best actors for the parts.

Pretty sure Lillian isn’t Lex’s birth mother in Supergirl

She is. Lena's the one with a different birth mother.
Correct, Lena is the result of an affair that Lionel Luthor had while married to Lillian who is Lex’s mom. When Lena’s mom died, against Lillian’s wishes Lionel brought his daughter to live with them. For most of her life Lena actually thought she was adopted and it wasn’t until Lillian needed someone with Luthor DNA to open one of Lex’s vaults that Lillian told her the truth.

Hey it’s cool, if it does bother you or anyone else then that’s ok I’m just saying from my POV it isn’t important,

I don’t disagree in the sloppy bad writing on these shows at times, Supergirl is one of the worst written shows for me.

It's not called acting. It's called genetics. Connery simply appeared older than Harrison Ford at the time even though there wasn't that big an age gap. If Tom Holland tried to "act" as Harrison Ford's father, then no matter how good his acting skills, he's not going to convince anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"