The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

Any comment after the vision of Shazam?
IMO there are many interesting things to debate, expecially reguarding Cavill.

I would follow the Shazam budget, make a low profile superman sequel. Have it be a self contained story and make it more personal to metropolis.
My idea, pitch is to have MOS2 set literally weeks after MOS.
Start the movie with a recap - 2013... you have a news report covering the past week of an alien making contact, the zod message, people fleeing, praying, then a helicopter filming the zod battle, you can reuse so much stock footage that probably wasn't used and then the army, general swannick, POTUS addressing the world that zod is defeated that the superman is on our side, we are greatful and the nation is working with this superman.
Cuts to the foreground, the tv is on in the background and it's the daily planet and it's directly after lois introduces herself - so we see Perry introduce them, then Perry interrupts and says 'ok smallville, here's jimmy, he's kinda new here too - to which they laugh and Jimmy is like 'I've been here 6 months chief'.
Have them out in the city, we get a feel for the city, it's people, we see devestation but also building works - it's a lot brighter, hopeful in tone. Then, clark hears something, makes his excuses, shirt rip and then saves the day, jimmy nearby gets the pictures - clark returns with hotdogs.
The plot evolves around clark, lois and jimmy cracking intergang, with a sub plot of superman exerting himself into life and embracing it. The final act is Jimmy and lois getting in trouble and clark/superman saving the day. That's a real simple explanation but obviously it's fleshed out more. Most plots sound weak when described in one sentence but any hows.
It allows you to ignore BvS, JL in the exact same way WW:1984 does - it doesn't apologise or retcon, those movies just haven't happened yet and you don't need to revisit them if need be. The tone shift is no different than Thor: Ragnorak.

Then, i would focus on team up movies after, say with shazam or WW.

Shazam ⚡️
Anybody saw that supes had a new suit in the shazam cameo?

Yes
I noticed that! That suit has been through so many tweaks it's hard to keep up!. But I did like the red in the midsection. Although the suit is starting to look somewhat busy and complicated, what with all the tweaks: the padding, the shine, the proportions etc. It needs to be streamlined and simplified in some way.

Any comment after the vision of Shazam?
IMO there are many interesting things to debate, expecially reguarding Cavill.

I think they
really left it open and gave themselves an opportunity to go in any way, depending on how Cavill works out. If he stays then they can carry on with his solos and maybe give them an opportunity to tie Cavill's Superman to the Shazam universe. Or, since they didn't use Cavill, they can recast when its time for a solo Superman movie and if they want to use Superman in a Shazam sequel. I guess the Shazam universe could be an opportunity for recasting Superman for the DCEU, or they could even have a separate Superman for the Shazam universe (?)

I saw Shazam yesterday for the second time. I think that it is really good movie and that it is deeply connected to Superman. I think that a Shazam sequel with Superman (maybe with Black Adam) would be a smart idea to relaunch the character. The tone of the movie would be light and funny enough to recreate empathy between the public e Superman.

The next creative team is the key. They can make it work with Cavill. If they decide to recast then I want a complete reboot without the origin. I'm open to either scenario.

I'm less keen on recasting for mere cameos or for a half-hearted tweak of the current interpretation.

The next creative team is the key. They can make it work with Cavill. If they decide to recast then I want a complete reboot without the origin. I'm open to either scenario.

I'm less keen on recasting for mere cameos or for a half-hearted tweak of the current interpretation.

The key is WB sticking with what they start. They start Superman and then abandon him. They have to commit. Superman Returns wasn't an origin, MOS was, yet neither got a direct solo sequel.

I wonder if WB would go for a complete reboot though or if they are still worrying about the DCEU and continuity etc.

Either way yeah I don't think we need another origin. They can introduce or re-introduce characters, as well as explain Superman's background, while he is already a firmly established hero.

Yes I too think we do not need another origin film however if they want to reestablish Superman as a character then yes I would welcome his origins being played out for maybe like half of the first act in a reboot and then glossing over that to establish him now as a character...however for the DCEU and continuity you don't really need to reboot the character or his franchise at all but just do a direct sequel

Honestly I’d love for here to be a lot of focus on Clark’s childhood and teenage years in smallville. It’s so important to who he is as a character. I think people would probably think it was boring but it’s one of the main things that I’d want out of a new movie.

If they reboot, I don't expect or need an origin. They can sprinkle in some key elements of his backstory in an opening montage if they so desire.

I think the necessity of showing an origin is overrated.
Action Comics #1 didn't explain how Superman had powers. The 1966 film didn't explain why or how Bruce and Dick became Batman and Robin.
The Incredibles didn't bother with origins, it just said, here's a world with lots of superheroes. All were popular.
Audiences are willing to accept characters being fully formed when they first meet them.

It isn't necessary. Especially since we just had one. Action Comics 1 basically did his origin in one page and most of the details were only fleshed out much later. The Fleischer cartoons open with a very brief narrative but didn't show anything. I'm ready to hit the ground running.

Honestly I’d love for here to be a lot of focus on Clark’s childhood and teenage years in smallville. It’s so important to who he is as a character. I think people would probably think it was boring but it’s one of the main things that I’d want out of a new movie.

I would like to see that too. Even when he leaves Smallville. But that can be done in flashback. Can also be shown in key moments to see why Clark/Superman thinks what he does, or believes what he does. Also would be good to see him in different parts of America, different parts of the world, interacting with the people, his travels, what informs his worldview etc. Both as Clark and as Superman.

I don’t think that’s necessary. We can get a feel of who he is and why he does what he does without seeing his formative years.

After years and years of SV and the flashbacks in MOS, I’m all out of ****s to give about what happened before Clark put on the suit.

It doesn't have to be so much about his formative years but more his interaction with people. He can do that as Clark the journalist, where he can really see people's lives up close and first hand. Or he can do that as Superman, where he sees different parts of the world and how they respond to him (such as in the Alex Ross/Paul Dini book "Peace on Earth")

What I like about a book like "Superman: Birthright" is we see Clark as a journalist observing and involved in the politics of the region- as a person, as a reporter (not as Superman) and it feels more relatable.

It's not so much as explaining his origin but showing more of that human side. He can do that as Clark while he is already established as Superman. They just need to get on it and start developing the character more after all these stops and starts over the years.

Plus if you do a sequel now after so many years after 2013 how do you explain it away in the timeline of continuity especially if DC end up planning to interconnect the shared universe

Plus if you do a sequel now after so many years after 2013 how do you explain it away in the timeline of continuity especially if DC end up planning to interconnect the shared universe

I think it really all comes down to what is happening with Cavill. Whether he stays or goes. Then they will work around that. Somehow.

I fought for Cavill in the past. Not anymore.

Last edited:
I fought for Cavill in the past. Not anymore.
I agree, he knows exactly what it means to the fans... silence after all this time.. it's too much. For me, personally i feel like throwing in the towel for this DCEU as afterall, superman is my true love. With him and Bats seemingly lost in development, i am ready to start fresh, whenever that may be. WW to me is pointless with out the remaining trinity... plus - knowing what is outside these characters in the rest of the DCEu, i just don't care..

Shazam was, not so much a dissapointment but it was a kids film.. i'm not going back to AM as i've seen what i needed to see, WW, unless the trailer blows it out the park... yeah, sorry....

I wonder if WB would separate Superman films out of the DCEU and let it be its own thing...

No news on MOS2 and I get more angry. It should be simple, hell I HAVE IDEAS FOR 1-2 FILMS! Maybe 3!
Jeez, WB! Step up!
Or hell, contact me! I'll do a treatment for you!!!

I feel like we need an animated Superman movie. A bombastic, optimistic, lighthearted, and uplifting adventure story. The Superman that fans want is better suited to animation probably.

With Pattinson as the new Bruce Wayne/Batman why doesn't DC recast the role of Clark Kent/Kal El/Superman? I would go with Armie Hammer as the new Clark replacing Cavill to basically balance out Pattinson as The Batman

Armie or Nick Hoult for Superman
I’m honestly loving the idea of Hoult as Superman.
He has a certain presence about him that would work really well I think.

I hadn’t even considered him before but I think he’s my top choice.
landscape-1469616711-hoult-stewart.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"