The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

Would you guys be game for a solo Superman movie directed by Jenkins?

No. She would ape Donner way too much. I guess it would depend who wrote it and how much control she would have because I want her to have someone looking over her shoulder a bit.

After WW84 I'm certain I don't want her to do superman. I never all that high on her talking up another property even after WW.

The NY Times has an article on Walter Hamada and going forward with superhero movies. Not too much new, most people. know what is in it, I believe.

The movies will be coming out a a quicker pace, mostly due to the multiverse and having more than one incarnation of some heroes, films and HBOMax, and all that.

Story says Snyder is supposedly not a part of the new order and DC/WB. Does list some of the projects in planning and being planned

I would rather Superman come back with his own DCEU mini series rather than a full on reboot...continue the mini series on HBO Max with Cavill still playing Supes...it only makes sense because of Snyder Cut

I would rather Superman come back with his own DCEU mini series rather than a full on reboot...continue the mini series on HBO Max with Cavill still playing Supes...it only makes sense because of Snyder Cut
To do what exactly?

Snyder went from Superman Year One to the Death and Return.

WB kind of backed themselves into a corner storywise. I see why they are doing Superfamily on the CW cause it’s fresh territory.

Even if it is Abrams, it’s going to be hard to convince people this is a story they haven’t seen before.

Avoid another origin story like the plague. This superman should already be established ( 5 years or so as superman )

If we are going to do an established Superman I would like the opening titles to be like the movie "Up", where we get all the the relevant story line, told in that manner. I think it would be a smart start to the new Superman

I don’t want to see another deconstruction of Superman. On the surface, Abrams would bring many positives to the movie. I just happen to think we could maybe find someone who will bring that same approach.... and actually execute it. Abrams is a good ideas man, but his films always underwhelm me. So I am all for him being involved with a better director actually making it.

I don’t want to see another deconstruction of Superman. On the surface, Abrams would bring many positives to the movie. I just happen to think we could maybe find someone who will bring that same approach.... and actually execute it. Abrams is a good ideas man, but his films always underwhelm me. So I am all for him being involved with a better director actually making it.
Abrams produces + story credit. Drew Goddard writes and directs.

Abrams produces + story credit. Drew Goddard writes and directs.
I’d prefer JJ be more directly involved with the script since I already know I love his characterizations of Clark, Lois & Lex, while Goddard has some naturally deconstructionist instincts I’d like to avoid, but otherwise I’m all for this.

I’d prefer JJ be more directly involved with the script since I already know I love his characterizations of Clark, Lois & Lex, while Goddard has some naturally deconstructionist instincts I’d like to avoid, but otherwise I’m all for this.
True, but after the last decade-plus, maybe the most deconstructionist thing you can do with Superman on the big screen is play him earnest and sincere.

Superman has suffered from this perception that he is lame. When Donner made the original film, he brilliantly sold an earnest Superman by having Lois and other characters point out the perceived flaws the character, but her experience interviewing him changed her perception of what Superman is, and thus helped sell the audience. It is wonderfully crafted.

Conversely, Snyder was first hired to make Superman look cool in action primarily and to make him appeal to audiences today. I think Snyder did succeed in some areas. While the Donner Superman world showed some skepticism but was ultimately willing to absorb itself into the childlike wonder that a man can fly, Snyder crafted a more skeptical world around Superman. One that distrusted his existence, which does fit a modern context. If everyone thinks Superman sucks or is boring now, one could read that into a meta narrative of the character like Donner did. The major flaw in Snyder's approach was in Superman not standing for anything. In both Man of Steel and BvS, Superman is still discovering what that "S" stands for in context on Earth. He never takes time like Donner did to outline what is Superman's mission statement. He is too busy figuring out himself to answer that question. In MoS, it was whether he should show himself to Earth, and in BvS it was what is Superman.

I think that scene at Congress could have saved BvS to some extent. It was the perfect opportunity for Superman to defend the very idea of Superman and give us something the movies didn't provide to that point. Superman could have had that moment that Donner gave us with the interview. His arc of what is Justice and what does the "S" stand for could have been shown to us. That is insight we needed IMO. Just having that bomb go off before that dialogue could actually happen was criminal. I am fine with the plot device and it happening. But before doing that, let the scene play a couple of minutes first. Yeah, I get on a lot of films for doing more show than tell, but Superman looking sad a lot doesn't afford us insight into what he wants. It just tells us he is unhappy.

If there is one thing I want the next movie to do, is not force itself to be about Superman is still cool. Explore the more a different way. We have seen this idea multiple times now.

Last edited:
How many tweets did it get in the end? I saw at one point it was up around 70k?

Said it before, said it again, you give us a proper MOS2 in the sense it is set months after MOS.

Flash point helps with this. I am hoping flashpoint acknowledges it changes things.... Zod still appeared and clark revealed superman to the world. Superman defeated Zod.

So the sequel.
We have Clark starting out at the daily planet, we see how metropolis is rebuilt. We connect with Clark as he tries to connect to the city - people love superman.. the media try and spin it, but the people aren't fooled... other nations look on in wonder. Clark as a reporter focuses on the corruption of the rebuilds and obv he has the powers to delve in deeper.

Space and tech changes completely due to the kryptonian ship.

Earth is no longer alone... Zod was disclosure - they now have reason to search space even more.

We see Superman pull cats out trees, stopping trains and jumping over tall buildings.

We then have the drama of Clark, Lois, David and an intern called Jimmy. Uncovering corruption, with lex corp trying to silence them, but only exposing themselves as criminals, thanks to superman saving the day.

The movie is littered with natural humour, as we see clark juggle the two personas, we see action in every act, primarily as superman but the final is clark.

BVS and JL has happened yet and due to Flashpoint, it won't either.

Shocker: He looks better in the traditional Chris Reeve spandex type costume than the discoloured bulky thing they ultimately went with. His hair looks pretty damn fabulous here, too.

I don’t think the Man of Steel suit looked bulky, BvS suit did though.

Yeah the MOS suit was perfection IMO. So of course they screwed it up and made him look like a Super Powers action figure in BvS and JL.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"