• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

Why go to the books when there are numerous examples over the decades of the live-action adaptations and all their various successes/failures? The only iterations that have worked are the ones which could be considered lighthearted adventures and appropriate for all ages.

I think it's the natural inclination to portray him as a FUN character because that IS essentially how Siegel and Shuster first depicted him, albeit in a slightly skewed manner - as a smart^$$ vigilante who was not above wisecracks or engaging in otherwise mischievous behavior to get the better of the bad guys. Yeah, bad guys died, but that tended to be more due to their own ignorance than by any direct action on his part (not to say he didn't do that a few times, but it was the late 1930s/early 1940s, a time when the world was definitely better off with one less negligently-corrupt industrial profiteer or outright militant tyrant in it).

Why go to the books when there are numerous examples over the decades of the live-action adaptations and all their various successes/failures? The only iterations that have worked are the ones which could be considered lighthearted adventures and appropriate for all ages.

Which ones have worked and stood the test of time? The rose tinted glasses for Superman 1 and 2 are finally wearing off. 3 and 4 were never liked. Returns is liked by critics, disliked by Fans. Lois and Clark when brought up generate the "oh yeah, that happened" response. Smallville is highly criticized to the point you suspect it only went 9 seasons because people were hate watching it. George Reeves has passed from living memory. STAS, JL, JLU are the Adaptations that still have a mostly positive reception and will be the ones to stand the test of time even though Timmverse Superman is even more Stone faced serious and put through the emotional ringer than Cavill Superman.

Which ones have worked and stood the test of time? The rose tinted glasses for Superman 1 and 2 are finally wearing off.
Based on what? Reeve is still held as the gold standard as far as Supes is concerned. As for the film, some of the most successful film origin stories of this era owe a lot to the template which the original Donner film perfected, as per the words of the creatives behind them such as Nolan, Jenkins, and Feige.

So where are you getting this consensus the appeal of those films have worn off in any significant way?

Returns is liked by critics, disliked by Fans.
A film's longevity isn't going to be determined by the critics who liked it at time of release. Legacies are cemented by the audience and fanbase's reverence for it. SR will most definitely fall by the wayside, if it hasn't already.

Lois and Clark when brought up generate the "oh yeah, that happened" response.
It's a show very much of its time, but the cast still gets props. I know plenty of fans who hold their performances as top favorites for their respective roles.

Smallville is highly criticized to the point you suspect it only went 9 seasons because people were hate watching it.
Clark was carried by nearly everything else going on that show. For as much hate as people give it, it lasted a long damn time and the lore it built around itself is fairly impressive considering the restraints.

George Reeves has passed from living memory.
No arguments here.

STAS, JL, JLU are the Adaptations that still have a mostly positive reception and will be the ones to stand the test of time even though Timmverse Superman is even more Stone faced serious and put through the emotional ringer than Cavill Superman.
It's going to sound like sacrilege, but I truly believe Timmverse Supes has been uplifted by the tremendous goodwill of the universe itself more than the performance and writing. Much like Welling, Daly/Newburn didn't have many shining moments on their own show. I agree it definitely leaned into the more somber/serious take, but it's excused because everything around it was so well done.

I say all that to say --- if we're solely focusing on who succeeded with audiences as Superman/Clark, on the strength of their own talents and the writing behind them...it's only been Reeve and Cain. And maybe throw an asterisk on Hoechlin, as his appearances have been too minor (but the support is clearly there).

There's a commonality between all of them, and I'd argue that DNA hasn't been seen on film in decades.

I believe it's about striking the right balance and tone. There can be serious and dark themes that don't have to weigh the whole movie down. The Wonder Woman movie succeeded with that.

The Timmverse is respected because it knew the comics, treated it seriously, and explored that in ways the movies never have. And while Superman faced serious stories it was all within the context of an animated show for general audiences and broad appeal.

I don't think the original Siegel/Shuster Superman would be considered "fun" by todays standards.
He was pretty severe, his jokes more like the dry one liners of an antihero that wisecracking quips. He was a no-nonsense, brutal avenger, his version of mischief was trapping people in coal mines.
He wasn't cheerful, rescuing cats from trees and doing public speaking, he was angry, busting heads and hiding from the police.
If that Superman appeared today terms like "grim and gritty" might be thrown around.

LOL yeah, Superman was a hardass in his original incarnation. If I remember right, there were people INSIDE that car that he lifted over his head and smashed in Action #1.

Superman really went after the criminals without mercy in his original incarnation. I believe he somewhat became more humanised with the development of the 'Clark Kent from Smallville' side of him i.e. a young man from a small town trying to do the right thing.

He doesn't have to be one extreme or the other Not just a hardass and not just a happy cat rescue guy. He's not depicted that way in the comics now. He's more of a complex human being. I'm reading a good comic right now "Man and Superman' by Marv Wolfman. It explores Clark arriving at Metropolis, which has been done a lot, but it is done in a very interesting way (so far.) A very open and honest kind of guy (but with secrets of course.)

Superman is not a child trapped in a superhero adult body like Shazam, so he is not as naive and jokey, he seems more burdened with responsibility. But that shouldn't weigh him down.

Sometimes I notice, even in the animated movies, he is depicted as angry and stoic. I think people react against that.

Whoever says Donner’s Superman is no longer relevant or hasn’t stood the test of time needs to watch it again. So much was done correctly by Donner and company that recent superhero directors and producers cite Superman as inspiration for their respective franchises. Kevin Feige is one of those producers by the way.

Whoever says Donner’s Superman is no longer relevant or hasn’t stood the test of time needs to watch it again. So much was done correctly by Donner and company that recent superhero directors and producers cite Superman as inspiration for their respective franchises. Kevin Feige is one of those producers by the way.
Ben Shapiro is right. The first half of the first movie is relatively timeless, but then aftewards down to the sequels...it's beyond dated.

Ben Shapiro is right. The first half of the first movie is relatively timeless, but then aftewards down to the sequels...it's beyond dated.
Nope, the entire first movie is timeless. Superman 2 is debatable. The other sequels weren’t directed by Donner.

Definitely has influenced superhero movies and started that "realism" (or rather Donner's word "verisimilitude") of such movies we see today. Chris Nolan talked about how it inspired him. As did Patty Jenkins with WW.

Last edited:
Donner showed what a hero is. The rest of these fools, I don't know what they were thinking. Take your faux realism and shove it.

Superman really went after the criminals without mercy in his original incarnation. I believe he somewhat became more humanised with the development of the 'Clark Kent from Smallville' side of him i.e. a young man from a small town trying to do the right thing.

He doesn't have to be one extreme or the other Not just a hardass and not just a happy cat rescue guy. He's not depicted that way in the comics now. He's more of a complex human being. I'm reading a good comic right now "Man and Superman' by Marv Wolfman. It explores Clark arriving at Metropolis, which has been done a lot, but it is done in a very interesting way (so far.) A very open and honest kind of guy (but with secrets of course.)

Superman is not a child trapped in a superhero adult body like Shazam, so he is not as naive and jokey, he seems more burdened with responsibility. But that shouldn't weigh him down.

Sometimes I notice, even in the animated movies, he is depicted as angry and stoic. I think people react against that.

I read that comic, to call it heavy handed would be an understatement.

Oh bummer I just started reading it.

If you like other Wolfman stories you'll probably be ok with this, I just find he over explains everything. Subtlety isn't something he traffics in.

Ben Shapiro has never been right about anything.

If you like other Wolfman stories you'll probably be ok with this, I just find he over explains everything. Subtlety isn't something he traffics in.

I see what you mean...It certainly is very wordy! So much text in the panel hehe

Make it Superman Green and have him land in the middle east. It would be a hybrid original take on Red Son but also have a middle eastern raised Superman. I would love to see how that would play out in an animated film! Even live action would be amazing

Unpopular opinion: Donner/Reeves are overrated af, is getting tired see everyone still praising that mess from centuries ago
Cavill >>> the old pa

Unpopular opinion: Donner/Reeves are overrated af, is getting tired see everyone still praising that mess from centuries ago
Cavill >>> the old pa

That's the thing with popular opinion: people will keep praising something popular from "centuries ago." :D

I still dont get how some of you keep living in the past and praising a lot Reeves when MoS is beautiful af, i wish Cavill had the chance to have 3 solo films, ugh, Reeves is my less fave Superman, i still cringe when i remember that scene were he goes bad/drunk

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"