The Official Sentry-Bashing Thread!

whats with supermarvelman?
and i agree sentry should only be used as a cosmic hero

I was almost kind of interested in him when he first appeared in New Avengers, but ever since then every time I see him I get the *****e-tingles.

I was almost kind of interested in him when he first appeared in New Avengers, but ever since then every time I see him I get the *****e-tingles.

So then you like him...:huh:

He just needs to cut his hair and get a pot belly again.:up:

I was just thinking about what a worthless character the Sentry is. He's been on the Avengers for a pretty long time now and we still don't know what his deal is. In fact, he has the most bland personality out of everyone on the Avengers. The whole MPD thing is just Jenkins ripping off the Hulk and using his schtick on his own character.

And you know that second Sentry mini they put out after Bendis confused the hell out of everybody as to who the Sentry is and where he came from? Yeah, that just made his origin more stupid/confusing/lame.

Thoughts?

Of course hes bland since hes a Superman based character. He was interesting for a vfew months but then he did nothing for a long time. He shouldn't be an avenger and have his comic so they could try to make him worth reading.

Maybe with the death of [BLACKOUT]the Sentry's wife[/BLACKOUT] he'll actually be a badass instead of standing in the corner with his head down like an emo kid. Of course it's more likely that it will make him even MORE emo...

What's to bash?

He just started as what ALL of Bendis-written characters eventually turn into... an empty suit with no idea what the word "HEROIC" means.

YAWN.

While Sentry IS a pretty lame character, I can forsee his flaws (choosing between what's ABSOLUTE right and what's wrong) to be good material for future books.

All you guys you hate the Sentry: Did you read the original mini, and did you enjoy it?

Yea. And I wasn't too happy about the hoax either. THe only thing good about it was Jae Lee (who also did a GREAT Inhumans maxi). I also read the follow-up by Jenkins and Romita. Jr but I still didn't get what Jenkin's was trying to do with the character: face his inner demons? Embrace them? coexist with them? And his allegiance to Iron Man also has me wondering.

Yea. And I wasn't too happy about the hoax either. THe only thing good about it was Jae Lee (who also did a GREAT Inhumans maxi). I also read the follow-up by Jenkins and Romita. Jr but I still didn't get what Jenkin's was trying to do with the character: face his inner demons? Embrace them? coexist with them? And his allegiance to Iron Man also has me wondering.

The original mini was amazing. I agree with you about the follow up mini, though. I still don't know what Jenkins was trying to do, and sometimes I wonder if he knew.

All you guys you hate the Sentry: Did you read the original mini, and did you enjoy it?

For the most part yes*, and one of the reasons I thought it was ok was that it was disposeable, ie: Readers could choose to forget about him, as the entire 616 universe did, and nothing at all would be different. The series served it's purpose and need never be referred to again.

*Two things I disliked about the original series were the ret-cons with Reed Richards and the Hulk: Ben Grimm is Reed's best friend and always has been, You don't mess with that.
And the Hulk...Well, I said I disliked that but now I thoroughly hate it since they went and made that 'canon' in the second mini. All that burning skin stuff as the cause of his anger and making him the Sentry's bloody pet was pure garbage (imo).

It's widely known that Jenkins has a terrible coke habit.

In other threads I have commented about not liking "the hoax" in which he debuted. Yes, yes, I know, the market was hostile and Marvel was just emerging from bankruptcy, but it was still wrong of they and Wizard to fool fans like that. It got the character to a bad foot with me. I've still never managed to read that first mini.

But now? My main hassle with the character is he isn't really a character. He is a walking plot device wrapped in a bag of emotional and psychological issues. He is a pile of neurosis shaped as a man, not a man himself. He has enough power to be able to overpower any thread if he needs to, yet he has enough mental issues that he literally cannot be used or cannot unlock that sort of power unless the writer so demands it. Now, all characters act under the whim of what a writer wants to do, but the Sentry makes it obvious. Take WWH. Obviously, he is one of the only heroes who can match Hulk and obviously he can't fight Hulk until the end. But the explaination is that he's just sitting there, absorbed in his issues. He is a character who literally has a built in excuse to be a plot device, not unlike Sage, and without that, he has less character than Typeface. Yes, I WENT THERE.

Of course, most of this type of usage for him got famous when Bendis started utilizing it, and of course everyone has to do what Bendis establishes, and NEVER the other way around. And Bendis is a writer who has made a career of showing superheroes who fail and are incompetant and useless, every single god damned story. In the old days, superheroes were men of action; to Bendis, they are men of screwing up and bickering like developmentally stunted 4 year olds.

He's a weak replacement for Thor on any roster. Thor's cape has more character than Sentry these days.

First thing I thought about when I saw this thread was "Oh ****, here comes Dread and his sanctimonious ass" I think about Dread a lot.

First thing I thought about when I saw this thread was "Oh ****, here comes Dread and his sanctimonious ass" I think about Dread a lot.

But are you a fan or a stalker? ;)

And at least I waited until Page 2.

So, yeah, my beef with Sentry is that he's become a one-note walking plot device and isn't much of a character. Maybe if he showed more potential in some of the other titles he is in, I'd feel inspired to pluck for his mini's. But he doesn't, so I don't. I can think of a half dozen super-strong tankers who are so much more interesting than Sentry. Hell, if he wasn't dead, I'd even take Thunderstrike rather than Sentry. :p

I'd love to see Jenkins tackle the Sentry again instead of Captain Mar-Vell.

you know I have never read the sentry mini and...I never will, I dont like him now I don't think going back and seeing him intresting will change my hate for what the character has become now. I might be even more upset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"