The Official Sentry-Bashing Thread!

Mr. Green

Where the Wild Hulks Are
Reaction score
I was just thinking about what a worthless character the Sentry is. He's been on the Avengers for a pretty long time now and we still don't know what his deal is. In fact, he has the most bland personality out of everyone on the Avengers. The whole MPD thing is just Jenkins ripping off the Hulk and using his schtick on his own character.

And you know that second Sentry mini they put out after Bendis confused the hell out of everybody as to who the Sentry is and where he came from? Yeah, that just made his origin more stupid/confusing/lame.

Thoughts?

Funny, I thought saying that Jenkins was ripping off Jeckyl and Hyde would be more appropriate.

Yeah, the Sentry's MPD is completely different from the Hulk's.

Marvel certainly has no idea what to do with the Sentry. Granted, there's not much you can do with him. Jenkins' original mini, while fantastic, didn't (and wasn't supposed to) set the character up for a team book. He just doesn't work in that type of setting and there's nothing wrong with that. It's a shame Marvel can't grasp that concept.

Sentry shouldn't be an avenger, he should be fighting in space...also...Richards, or Stark or someone should figure out how to seperate Reynolds two personalities (granted, then he'd just be a superman clone).

The character was based on nothing more than a gimmick in the first place and his original series was presented more as a commentary on how comics have changed since Marvel began than a genuine attempt to force a Superman level hero into the Marvel Universe.

Personally I think they should have left him in the limbo he returned to at the end of that first series. Gone, forgotten and not missed in the slightest (well not by me at any rate).

Personally I enjoy what they have done with him in new and mighty avengers.

I hate Sentry. Screw him. Or maybe I just hate the way the writers write him. Either way, whenever he shows up the book really slows down for me. My friend loves him though. I hate him. Always have. Nice to know I'm not alone.

That's the spirit, Steve!

And does anybody have any idea what the "power of a million exploding suns" is? Since the Sentry became a regular part of the 616 universe, I have seen that he can fly, he is super strong, and sometimes he shoots yellow "stuff" from his fists.

The Sentry is no longer a "new" addition to the MU. He's been around for while and STILL nobody knows what the extent of his powers are. Apparantly he can erase people's memories and materialize parts of his imagination.

They tell us all that, and then he never does it again and they don't even talk about anymore. What the hell?

That's right, I'm STILL not done *****ing about the Sentry! :woot:

No different than "The madder I get, the stronger I get."

He can't erase peoples memories. He and Reed built a machine to do that.

Overall, you got a problem with him, blame Bendis. His fault for bringing him back and not really doing anything with him.

Anubis is right,i would go as far as saying the original mini-series that he was in..was excellent,but as a Marvel Superman?I dont think so,and i still think people dont like the idea.

Overall, you got a problem with him, blame Bendis. His fault for bringing him back and not really doing anything with him.

Pretty spot on, I think its more whos writing him right now than anything.

I hate that We got 4 different Sentry Action Figures in Marvel Legends, but not one of them is currently comic accurte....due to his long hair.

I did love Sentry/X-men though....On of the best books I've ever read.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the guy.

HA GET IT "CRAZY"?

I like the character and think he has great potential.

Of course the second mini was kind of pointless in that it accomplished nothing really and the character has been trapped in Bendis' clutches for awhile (BMB really has no idea what to do with him)

But I am not giving up. I like the character, I like the powers, I like the costume, and I like his issues and where he can potentially fit in in the MU.

He just needs a writer who can get something out of him.

Oeming maybe? or Gaiman?

And does anybody have any idea what the "power of a million exploding suns" is? Since the Sentry became a regular part of the 616 universe, I have seen that he can fly, he is super strong, and sometimes he shoots yellow "stuff" from his fists.

The Sentry is no longer a "new" addition to the MU. He's been around for while and STILL nobody knows what the extent of his powers are. Apparantly he can erase people's memories and materialize parts of his imagination.

They tell us all that, and then he never does it again and they don't even talk about anymore. What the hell?

solar rays?

If they were gonna bring him back, he should have had a Solo series which not only showed him dealing with all his mental problems, but some looks at some of his past adventures, and trying to find his place in the MU. Not this crap they've been using him for.

If they were gonna bring him back, he should have had a Solo series which not only showed him dealing with all his mental problems, but some looks at some of his past adventures, and trying to find his place in the MU. Not this crap they've been using him for.

:up:

Mr. Green is just getting worried about the Sentry whooping the Hulk's ass.:o

I actually like the character quite a bit, however I don't like how Marvel writes him.
They should at least be consistent with him!

LOL! That's it? That's your response? OMG! I'm sorry, but I'll gladly sit back and watch when those ***** tears start rolling down from Hulk's face.:o

It's a step up from "Nany nany boo boo... stick your head in doo doo..."

NO! ANYTHING BUT THAT! NO!!!! It's one thing that Hulk might actually get beat in a fictional story, but what really gets me, what really tears me apart, is that Darth will gladly sit back and watch! Dear God, why?!?! :cmad:

Oh wait... I don't care. :huh:

Thread didn't quite turn out the way you thought it would huh? :p

Sounds like you're upset with the writers of the character of the Sentry and the haphazard (that's putting it nicely) way they've pieced his origin together. I tend to agree. They did a poor job explainging his origin...I'm still not sure if the Sentry and Void are two separate entities or not. And I don't think any of us have a knowlege of the full extent of his powers. He's obviously enormously strong, can fly, a degree of invulnerability; apparently he has other powers I have yet to see. However, if Marvel was trying to one up Superman, it was done several decades ago. Twice. They're called Thor and the Silver Surfer. So it makes one wonder,"why create another marvel superhero of that caliber. Although, its become evident Marvel does not seem to know how to carry on a regular series with someone that powerful (Surfer); they barely did it with Thor. Maybe the answer has to do with the reason certain types of people lean toward reading Marvel Comics; others toward DC. Anyhow, although I think the Sentry has some potential, due to poor writing, the Sentry has become a very shallow, one-dimensional character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"