Surfer Script Ready? 2008 Release??

^From what we have heard it is an origin movie, so that pretty much explains everything to me. I think this could be something really cool and different, but with Fox behind it, i'm not holding my breath

^From what we have heard it is an origin movie, so that pretty much explains everything to me. I think this could be something really cool and different, but with Fox behind it, i'm not holding my breath

The problem is that it needs to be something cosmic, grand, lots of tragic and noble emotion (the vibe that was - but in my view should not have been - in Superman Returns). But Fox will want something more fast-moving to appease the videogame generation. That's the dilemma with comicbook movies.

The problem is that it needs to be something cosmic, grand, lots of tragic and noble emotion (the vibe that was - but in my view should not have been - in Superman Returns). But Fox will want something more fast-moving to appease the videogame generation. That's the dilemma with comicbook movies.

I really think if they pick the right director for this one, and let him breath, with a script from a writer who knows the character inside out, that this could be something special, and the first completely and utterley sci-fi CB movie. FF2, and even SR, i feel, could and should have been a lot more sci-fi than they were, the same could be said for the X-Men and Spiderman movies also. I hope they go completely sci-fi with SS, though i am still not sure they are going the correct route with the origin story. Surely the events that transpired in FF2 need to be a part of the story too.

I would hope that the Surfer solo movie never mentions Earth or the FF! There should be enough story in his origin and perhaps first few missions for the Big G that we do not need to go to Earth.

This should be like STAR WARS, a total alien universe. If you need to bring other Marvel characters into it, then use the Kree and Skrulls; but NO humans, please!

^I hope Earth is in no involved either, i was talking more about SS's 'betrayal' of Galactus being addressed.

They can bring something new and fresh to the screen without having the baggage of the FF films. A real intergalatic superhero tale hasn't really been done before has it? I just hope they get a good director one who will be given a little creative freedom and not try to make a 90 minute movie from the outset.:o

This summer's San Diego Comic Con would be a good place to announce the director.

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/

They can bring something new and fresh to the screen without having the baggage of the FF films. A real intergalatic superhero tale hasn't really been done before has it? I just hope they get a good director one who will be given a little creative freedom and not try to make a 90 minute movie from the outset.:o

This summer's San Diego Comic Con would be a good place to announce the director.

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/

Agreed on all accounts, but, surely SS's defiance of Galactus at the end of FF2 needs to be addressed in the next movie as well as the origin, otherwise people will be confused as hell.

I dont feel the SS's origin story is enough to hold a 2 hour (though likely 90 min movie under Fox) movie without a clear antagonist. The origin would also likely provide little scope for action also, so they need to bring something else into the story IMO, as well as a villain who challenge SS and who SS can challenge.

Agreed on all accounts, but, surely SS's defiance of Galactus at the end of FF2 needs to be addressed in the next movie as well as the origin, otherwise people will be confused as hell.

I dont feel the SS's origin story is enough to hold a 2 hour (though likely 90 min movie under Fox) movie without a clear antagonist. The origin would also likely provide little scope for action also, so they need to bring something else into the story IMO, as well as a villain who challenge SS and who SS can challenge.
Oh that...i forgot about that.:o

Edit - It looks like those things will be addressed.
http://movies.ign.com/articles/808/808908p1.html

Oh that...i forgot about that.:o

Edit - It looks like those things will be addressed.
http://movies.ign.com/articles/808/808908p1.html

Thanks for the article, its interesting, but that was just after the movie came out, things may have changed since then. I'm still not certain this movie is even happening at the moment, i guess if it does, we will have to wait and see.

But i think they need a villain in there other than Galactus, Thanos or Terrax (as the new Galactus Herald) come to mind.

Thanks for the article, its interesting, but that was just after the movie came out, things may have changed since then. I'm still not certain this movie is even happening at the moment, i guess if it does, we will have to wait and see.

But i think they need a villain in there other than Galactus, Thanos or Terrax (as the new Galactus Herald) come to mind.

Yeah i agree and they probably will to fill the 90 - 100 minute movie.:o

The screenwriter is listed as one of the special guests at this year's Comic Con but they make no mention of Surfer in his bio. He's got a some other pretty big projects in the works though!

Comic-Con 2008 Special Guest List
Updated as of April 18, 2008

J. Michael Straczynski

straczynskijoegh1.jpg

J. Michael Straczynski is a writer for comics, TV and the movies most known for creating, writing and producing Babylon 5 and Jeremiah. In the last year, he has adapted World War Z for Paramount and Brad Pitt, adapted They Marched Into Sunlight for Tom Hanks and director Paul Greengrass, written Ninja Assassin for the Wachowski Brothers and Joel Silver to produce, and his first film, Changeling, was directed by Clint Eastwood, produced by Ron Howard, stars Angelina Jolie and John Malkovich, and was selected for competition for the Palme d'Or at the 2008 Cannes Film Festival. In comics, he currently writes Thor and The Twelve for Marvel, has begun writing for DC (with his first title soon to be announced), and this fall will be launching two creator-owned titles from Image, Final Justice and Ten Grand. He has not slept since 1986.
http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_guests.shtml#Straczynski
http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_guests.shtml

This movie doesnt even look like its happening now, there has been absolutely NO news for months now.

I know everyone saw this post in SHH:

Straczynski on His Silver Surfer Script
Source: Mister J
June 19, 2008

AMC's SciFi Scanner blog talked to J. Michael Straczynski about his script for the Silver Surfer spin-off that Fox was planning after Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer.

"Whether or not it ever gets made I don't know because they were kind of disappointed in how 'Fantastic Four 2' did," Straczynski said. "And given how this will be a subset of FF2 in terms of the marketing strategy, I think there is hesitation there about putting it forward. The script is pretty good, I like it, but whether or not it goes into production, I have no idea."

He added that the movie was to "pick up literally the next frame after the FF2 movie, where you find out why Silver Surfer was there and what happened to him. We would have seen Galactus, his home world, what happened and him trying to get back there, because now that he's betrayed Galactus, he's concerned his home world might be in jeopardy."

Asked to explain how we would see Galactus, he said, "In the script I come up with some ways to visualize him that are true to the original, but take it one step further using the current CGI technology that we have. So we would have seen him as a character on numerous occasions in the second movie, not inconsistent with the first distant shot of him in that that's just a way of concealing who and what he really is. Believe me, he would be not at all silly looking."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/fantasticfournews.php?id=7373

Select a new Director that won't lie to us and do Justice to the Character and It might be a hit. You may have to give us glimpse of Galactus in a quick Teaser. I suggest 2010 or 2011 for any release; give it time to settle our frayed nerves :yay: . Better yet, give Marvell back the rights :woot: .

Doesn't Straczynski look dashing in his little hat! :whatever:

Personally, I don't want to see a Silver Surfer film unless Marvel gets the character back. Same with the Fantastic Four.
Fox needs to just strike a distribution deal with Marvel Studios and let them guide future films.

Iron Man was more than enough to convince me that our best chances of seeing our favorite characters brought to life onscreen with faithfulness and dignity lie with Marvel Studios. Incredible Hulk may not have been perfect but the overwhelming feeling among fans and critics is it comes a hell of a lot closer to what the audience expects.

My FF Movie Wish: That one day we'll get a Pixar-type FF adaptation that can really bring the grandeur of Lee & Kirby's FF to the screen. (And it would be fine with me if they retained the current FF actors for the voicework.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"