Matthew Vaughn in negotiations to direct Thor?

I personally think we should have just 1 all out Avengers movie, and then continue with seperate franchises. Mostly cause Avengers will be outragously expensive, and stop solo movies about the others from being made.

I have a number of ideas for an Avengers movie, though.

I also still say I would exclude the Hulk from it.

I personally think we should have just 1 all out Avengers movie, and then continue with seperate franchises. Mostly cause Avengers will be outragously expensive, and stop solo movies about the others from being made.

I have a number of ideas for an Avengers movie, though.

I kind of agree with this. It shouldn't mean there could never be another Avengers movie though. But keep the main focus on them individually.

I also still say I would exclude the Hulk from it.

Utter blasphemy!

I kind of agree with this. It shouldn't mean there could never be another Avengers movie though. But keep the main focus on them individually.

Utter blasphemy!

Hulk was never really that important to the Avengers comics. He was a member for like 2 seconds in the beginning, then Cap took his spot and took the team for that matter. I don't think he is neccessary. Too obvious what would happen with him on the team.

I am not saying don't ever do another Avengers movie of course. Just don't make it a franchise that stops any solo movies for the characters from happening. Make another Avengers flick after some Cap, Thor, and IM sequels.

Focus on the one, and if the opportunity comes up to do another, then by all means take it, but don't try to force another Avengers movie.

That's my take, anyway.

Hulk was never really that important to the Avengers comics. He was a member for like 2 seconds in the beginning, then Cap took his spot and took the team for that matter. I don't think he is neccessary. Too obvious what would happen with him on the team.

I am not saying don't ever do another Avengers movie of course. Just don't make it a franchise that stops any solo movies for the characters from happening. Make another Avengers flick after some Cap, Thor, and IM sequels.

That's true but there wouldn't even be an Avengers if it weren't for him. He should at least be in the first Avengers movie, then he can cameo maybe if there are others.

Focus on the one, and if the opportunity comes up to do another, then by all means take it, but don't try to force another Avengers movie.

That's my take, anyway.

I completely agree.

That's true but there wouldn't even be an Avengers if it weren't for him. He should at least be in the first Avengers movie, then he can cameo maybe if there are others.

Not like he added anything to the team. He was a member for two seconds. I don't think his contributions to the founding of the Avengers are significant enough to put him in the movie.

This is the movie avengers, not the comic book avengers. Whoever they decide to put in there is who belongs there.

This is the movie avengers, not the comic book avengers. Whoever they decide to put in there is who belongs there.

Yes, and I don't see where the Hulk is neccessary for it. All he would be there for is to eventually be a pawn and fight them. I don't think the movie really needs it.

Hulk should be in atleast the first movie. Even if they're not going to follow the comics, who cares, Marvel fought back to get the rights to the Hulk, it'll be stupid of them not to use him to his full potential, i.e. his own movie, sequals and in the Avengers movie.

Hulk should be in atleast the first movie. Even if they're not going to follow the comics, who cares, Marvel fought back to get the rights to the Hulk, it'll be stupid of them not to use him to his full potential, i.e. his own movie, sequals and in the Avengers movie.

In the first Avengers film even if just a small part it'd be cool. You meant Avengers right?

Hey Spidey! :)

Spider–Man said:
I'm not going to multi quote, just respond in general.

Okay.

First, just to use your own argument about some other points, since it has never been done in movies before, how do you know it [multi title crossover] wouldn't work?

I think it could work, just not in the way you suggest. But each movie still needs to be self contained, as does each franchise. That doesn't mean you can't take characters from one franchise and put them in another, as long as you finish their current stories first it should be okay.

Your idea was to have the Thor movie directly lead into the Avengers movie as if one story split in twain.

As to Loki being a repeating villain, didn't the X-men beat Magneto in the first film? Did that keep him from coming back in the second and the third? No it did not.

Magneto was not the ultimate villain in X2, Stryker was, Magneto was not the ultimate villain in X3, Phoenix was.

Therefore Magneto was effectively the supporting villain in those movies.

Wasn't Darth Vader the villain in SW 4-6? Did people get tired of that and say, "Man, can't they think up a new villain?" No, because if YOU WRITE AN INTERESTING VILLAIN, you can use him repeatedly!

In SW 4-6 the heroes don't technically face Vader until the end of Empire, by which time Lucas has already introduced Boba Fett. We also know mid-way through Empire that Vader is not the top dog. The Emperor is. Jedi also introduced Jabba the Hutt among others. So it was certainly not like Vader was carrying the movie. Just like Magneto wasn't carrying the second or third X-men movies.

Why is that simple concept so hard for you to grasp?

See above.

Each of those movies added something at each new turn. Another example would be the Mummy Returns (which added the Scorpion King as the ultimate villain).

And for the majority of the movie, the HULK is the main villain they are fighting or being set up to fight so that mostly eliminates the 'fighting the same villain' problem anyway.

Hulk isn't a villain. You know it, I know it, even the general audience know it.

I also don't see how Hulk can be fought more than once as a villain before it becomes stale and contrived.

I don't really care whether they tie it in or do each as a standalone.

Well if you love the characters you should care whats best for them.

It just bugs me that you try to present yourself as so creative with specific regards to writing and yet cannot see how they COULD do these movies as tie-ins and it would work!

I already explained how it might work using my Thor movie idea and the basics of your Avengers movie idea.

But that still leaves us with some unsolved problems.

I think you insult the 'general audience' by saying that tying the movies together would confuse them. It discredits the movie going public and makes you sound as if you feel intellectually superior to most everyone.

Not at all I am simply being realistic. You cannot credit non-comic fans with anything more than a basic knowledge of superheroes.

I disagree that showing the Hulk = Avengers makes them look weak.

Then you must be a Hulk fan(boy?), because thats the only way you could arrive at such a decision.

That would be saying the Hulk is weak which is ridiculous! We have yet to see the full destructive might of the Hulk unleashed on the big screen and I can tell you what I imagine is anything but underwhelming but I have a very vivid imagination! I can see it unfolding and it would be spectacular!

A spectacular anti-climax more like.

As to the other 110 minutes? You're a writer and have to ask this?!!

I'm asking you - not me!

You fill it with characterization, quiet moments showing each character's humanity, their fears, Cap being discoverd, fleshing out SHIELD and what they're about, Thor's first experience of Earth and peoples' general reaction to him, the putting together of the team, scenes of Hulk's destruction, Loki plotting and putting the plan into effect, You could even have Thor face off with the other Avengers when they first meet befiore realizing they should not be enemies.

Sounds like a homage to Superman Returns...and thats not a good thing.

Quiet moments of characterisation are why we have the solo movies. I don't want to see Avengers the Snoozical.

And I see the climax fight as more than 10 minutes!

It'll need to be - you have virtually no action in the first 110 minutes barring a few Hulk tantrums.

This would be the ultimate superhero throwdown as far as i'm concerned!

How do you work that out, given, as a spectacle it paled by comparison to your Thor movie ending.

And you keep talking about upping the ante. You said that Kang is the ultimate Avengers villain and that them facing him and his time-traveling armies would be the BEST the Avengers could face. So what are they supposed to do for the sequel? It would all be downhill from there.

You could do Operation Galactic Storm, like I said my familiarity with Avengers is limited, but I suspect they must have at least three worthwhile villains who can create an epic tableau each building on the previous.

My idea is to plan ahead for that and save Kang for say the third film in the Avengers trilogy! And use Ultron for the second. That way, you build up to the best while having each picture be spectacular enough and still manage to be topped by the next one! THAT makes sense to me!

That does make more sense. However I still think your initial movie idea is far too weak with Hulk as the climax.

And the giant troll invasion would work fine for me if they chose to do so. However if they chose to stick closer to the comic and have Thor realize that Loki is behind the scheme and break away from the conflict to capture him that would be fine with me too! Then they could switch back and forth between Thor's pursuit/confrontation with Loki and the other Avengers geography chewing battle with the Hulk!

So the only one who can actually stand against the Hulk toe to toe flees the scene. Which means you basically have the other characters bouncing off the Hulk for 10 minutes.

I never really saw the Hulk 'under Loki's spell', just more like framed as he was in the first Avengers comic! And the Hulk was always seen as a hero who was perceived by everyone as a villain because he was misunderstood! But whatever! As I said, I'm open to anything whose general premise is the Hulk vs. the Avengers!

If hes that innocent he could always just jump away.

I LOVE his Choice as director for Thor :up:

Hey Spidey! :)

I think it could work, just not in the way you suggest. But each movie still needs to be self contained, as does each franchise. That doesn't mean you can't take characters from one franchise and put them in another, as long as you finish their current stories first it should be okay.

Your idea was to have the Thor movie directly lead into the Avengers movie as if one story split in twain.

You still haven't explained WHY each story MUST BE self contained. Ok, if this makes it easier for you, how about the Avengers film is essentially the sequel to each of the first solo movies? That's more or less what I've been saying anyway.

Magneto was not the ultimate villain in X2, Stryker was, Magneto was not the ultimate villain in X3, Phoenix was.

Therefore Magneto was effectively the supporting villain in those movies.

In SW 4-6 the heroes don't technically face Vader until the end of Empire, by which time Lucas has already introduced Boba Fett. We also know mid-way through Empire that Vader is not the top dog. The Emperor is. Jedi also introduced Jabba the Hutt among others. So it was certainly not like Vader was carrying the movie. Just like Magneto wasn't carrying the second or third X-men movies.

Each of those movies added something at each new turn. Another example would be the Mummy Returns (which added the Scorpion King as the ultimate villain).

And to make my idea fit more into your mold, any of the devices you've mentioned could be employed with respect to Loki.

Hulk isn't a villain. You know it, I know it, even the general audience know it.

Ok, how do you view a 9' tall monster who destroys NY city while on a rage-fueled rampage? If he was destroying your home, I hardly think you'd call him a hero. Yes, Hulk is a hero when fighting a villain, but he is unique in that he is seen nearly as often raging against 'puny humans' and destroying their property just because in his infantile mindset, humanity is the enemy.

I also don't see how Hulk can be fought more than once as a villain before it becomes stale and contrived.

When did I say he should be the villain other than in the first Avengers movie? He will be a hero in TIH against A-bomb.

Well if you love the characters you should care whats best for them.

No, it should be what is best for the fans! The characters aren't really real! What's best for 'them' isn't an issue! And I've already addressed the term 'best'. If you look at all of these movies as one big story, then tying them all together IS what is 'best' (your definition). I could use your argument against you and what you would like to see by saying "Well, your idea is underwhelming compared to throwing in (fill in blank with super-powerful villain) to boot!"

I already explained how it might work using my Thor movie idea and the basics of your Avengers movie idea.

But that still leaves us with some unsolved problems.

And that's fine. I never said your ideas wouldn't work. YOU are the only one who has been trying to pigeonhole everything and saying nothing but YOUR ideas would work. Do you think Raimi's Spider-man was the only way Spidey could've been presented? Do you think his way was the 'best' that could've been? No and no. Something doesn't have to be 'the best' to still be awesome!

Not at all I am simply being realistic. You cannot credit non-comic fans with anything more than a basic knowledge of superheroes.

No, you are condescending by inferring that the majority of the public don't have sense enough to watch a Thor movie and then figure out that the Avengers movie is the next chapter in that story. By saying it would confuse them, you're essentially calling them stupid! It has nothing to do with their knowledge of superheroes! With media, the internet, up to the second entertainment news, they would EASILY know what was going on, especially if the solo movies blow up!

Then you must be a Hulk fan(boy?), because thats the only way you could arrive at such a decision.

Not a Hulk 'fanboy'. The way I arrive at my view is backed by dozens of years of stories that support my view. FF# 25 and #26 for starters. If you have any proof that The Hulk IS NOT (or at least doesn't APPEAR to be thru a drawn out battle) a match for the Avengers please show it. If you have an example of Thor easily beating the Hulk, please show it. I mean, taking each other at our word notwithstanding, let's be reasonable: you can't just say 'Thor can destroy the Hulk with ease' without actually pointing to some example and expect anyone to take you seriously. Your view is backed by your preference for thor. Mine is backed by recorded recognized canon.
[/quote]

A spectacular anti-climax more like.

Again, this is just your opinion and you're entitled to it. I won't argue on points of opinion.

I'm asking you - not me!

My point was you shouldn't ask a question to which you already have the answer. If you already know an answer, just give it!

Sounds like a homage to Superman Returns...and thats not a good thing.

Quiet moments of characterisation are why we have the solo movies. I don't want to see Avengers the Snoozical.

Again, I just see this remark as silly and in complete contradiction with your claim to know what constitutes a good story. Did you see Die Hard, arguably the mother of action films? Did it have moments of quiet introspection? Of course! Al telling John about how he accidentally shot the kid! John telling Al about how he'd never told his wife he was sorry! This ENHANCES the scenes with the action! Sounds to me like you just want a 2 hours battle royale! There's good story telling for yuh!:whatever: I never said I wanted long, drawn-out scenes like that! You asked what else could fill up 110 minutes and it seemed you really had no clue!

It'll need to be - you have virtually no action in the first 110 minutes barring a few Hulk tantrums.

Ok, let me see if I can think of some possible action scenes:
Cap training
Thor maybe having a run-in with the law in his first experience with modern civilization
IM in the middle of some high-tech criminal take-down when he gets the call from Fury about putting together the team
Thor's initial run-in with the others and a short skirmish
the Hulk rampaging thru a city being hounded by the army
Those are just off the top of my head but again I would think as a writer, you would know that action is the easiest thing to add more of. It's characterization that takes skill and surprisingly seems the least important to you.

How do you work that out, given, as a spectacle it paled by comparison to your Thor movie ending.

That would be about like saying that it would pale in comparison to the end of ROTK which IMO it wouldn't. Look, I'll just be blunt, I read Avengers #1 when I was a kid and always wanted to see it brought to life. To me, there are few things it would pale in comparison to and I can't really think of one of those at the moment. So again, it's down to opinion.

You could do Operation Galactic Storm, like I said my familiarity with Avengers is limited, but I suspect they must have at least three worthwhile villains who can create an epic tableau each building on the previous.

Don't know the story. Like I said, have Loki/Hulk in #1, Ultron in #2, and Kang and his army in #3 and it meets both our criteria for a good trilogy!

That does make more sense. However I still think your initial movie idea is far too weak with Hulk as the climax.

Again I won't argue opinion. I think that it could be done dynamically enough that it would be anything but weak!

So the only one who can actually stand against the Hulk toe to toe flees the scene. Which means you basically have the other characters bouncing off the Hulk for 10 minutes.

Well, i'd think this would make it perfect for you as then, the remaining team would 'seemingly be unable to stop' the Hulk! Isn't that what you said was most important a few posts back? This would take Thor out of the equation thus making it easier for you to accept!

If hes that innocent he could always just jump away.

Well, the Hulk isn't going to keep running when super powered beings are attacking him. His rage will grow and so will his desire to smash! He's not going to be rationally trying to figure out why they're attacking him. He is pretty much a reactionary character!

In closing, we're not really getting anywhere except making more than clear each of our personal preferences. Any further discussion will just be circular. As I said, what either of us wants won't have any effect on what we'll get in the end. So I'm moving on. I'll reply when I've had a chance to look at your Thor synopses.

But what does he add to the story other than predictable eye candy? I would rather see a quality Avengers story rather than a more accurate, cool eye candy one.

I think the Hulk would be too distracting in the movie, and not really serve it very well storywise. He would just give a cool fight.

Hey Krust,

I just finished reading you synopsis for a first Thor movie (http://www.immortalshandbook.com/shrine2.htm). I thought there were synopses for all 12 movies but less is the better as I really don’t have time to read that much!

First, I’ll say that I commend you on your obvious love for the character of Thor. I will also commend you on trying to stick close to the Lee-Kirby origin of Thor.

Now for the critical stuff:

First of all, I can’t believe that, after so vehemently blasting my notion that the first Thor film be set in Asgard (your words: Asgard is more spectacular than Earth, therefore you build UP to Asgard - talking about building from Asgard to Earth - thats simply idiotic), you start your movie off with a huge BATTLE in…ASGARD! And then proceed to Earth!

Next, the way you set everything up looks like you’re reading a step-by-step book on ‘How to write the PERFECT Treatment’ as you were writing this thing. I mean, you have this whole list of criteria that has to be filled – schemer, brawler, ally, love interest – it’s like you’re filling in the blanks. And the notes at the end of each act – “Things to be resolved: Loki’s treachery, Tyr’s jealosy (when is THIS resolved?)” – it all just seems like you are yet again filling in the blanks for a standard treatment/screenplay template. I mean, yes, anyone can take a hit story, deconstruct it to figure out the individual elements, and then do another story that satisfies each of these points, but that boots creativity and originality out the window!

Now on to the story itself:

I like the opening battle, but we never learn what Odin does to his sons (though I guess we can assume he imprisoned Loki in a tree!) nor how Thor’s actions (and what they were) led to the fighting.

Next, Blake has his pride wounded by failing to defend Jane from some louts so he…takes a trip to Norway?!! Seems a little contrived but ok, if you say so. I mean, I guess you have to get him to Norway to find the hammer, huh?

As I said, I like that the next part sticks closely to the comic origins.

Ok, next you have a battle in the park between Thor and Loki. Why the sudden flashback in the middle for no disclosed reason?! Battle, battle – flashback to Thor and Loki’s youth – battle, battle! I don’t get it! Again, it almost appears that the guidelines said “insert flashback here”!

Ok moving on, next is the scene in the bank which raises a question: seems to me Thor is out of contact with his hammer for more than 1 minute yet remains Thor. How so?

Next question: why does Loki need to ‘distract’ Thor while he’s looking for the Destroyer? And it seems even in your draft he doesn’t use the Wrecker for that anyway because Thor doesn’t even fight the Wrecker until after Loki has found the Destroyer.

The scene that cuts back to Norway just to apparently introduce Paul Duval and then cut back to the main story without mentioning him again seems terribly out of place in the context of the story. It’s a literary brick wall.

Next, why does Loki have the Wrecker kidnap Jane and take her to a construction site? He doesn’t even know she has anything to do with Thor (via Don Blake). In light of this, it seems to be a huge coincidence. It also seems to directly rip off Spider-Man 3!

Next, why would Loki want to attack Thor with the Wrecking Crew while simultaneously using the Destroyer to attack the UN? I’d think he’d throw everything he had at Thor (especially when you already stated he figured Thor would beat the Wrecker) and THEN try to take over the world. I mean, Loki’s NOT an idiot!

And finally, the point that bends me out of shape worse than any other: one of the things you were most vocal about in our earlier discussions was that there was no way Thor could lose in his first movie. Well, in your treatment, THOR LOSES! Destroyer would’ve killed him if ODIN hadn’t stepped in and beaten it!

I’m sorry, but I just can’t take you seriously. I don’t really believe YOU know what you believe. I don’t mean that to insult you but with inconsistencies and contradictions like the ones uncovered just in this treatment (not to mention the ones I saw earlier today in other threads where you basically use the same criteria I used to defend my position against you to defend your own position against others - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?p=12440274#post12440274 and http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=278017 ), I realize that a rational discussion unencumbered by bias and double-talk is something you seem incapable of having. Good luck and good day.

But what does he add to the story other than predictable eye candy? I would rather see a quality Avengers story rather than a more accurate, cool eye candy one.

I think the Hulk would be too distracting in the movie, and not really serve it very well storywise. He would just give a cool fight.

Never under estimate the value of a good fight. Who else could give them such a fight?:woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"