• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Rise of Skywalker SW: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER - The Rotten Tomatoes thread

I am seeing this in 12 hours.

Woke up and saw the RT score + tons of mixed reactions... Really disappointed. I am still hyped as I am seeing it at a midnight screening here in the UK (these are always awesome and the atmosphere is unparalleled), but it really isn't good that the Saga ends on such note.

Will post my thoughts after I see it.

Just wow. I can't believe the score is that low. Yeah, it can still go up, but this won't come in the 80s or anything. Most optimistic would be it finishes in 70s, but I an doubting it will.

I will judge for myself, obviously. But looks like I was right to be skeptical of JJ's ability to finish the story. Everyone just assumed he would deliver this universally loved movie, and clearly even if some love it, that isn't happening

Last edited:
Just wow. I can't believe the score is that low. Yeah, it can still go up, but this won't come in the 80s our or anything. Most optimistic would be it finishes in 70s, but I an doubting it will.

I will judge for myself, obviously. But looks like I was right to be skeptical of JJ's ability to finish the story. Everyone just assumed he would deliver this university loved movie, and clearly even if some love it, that isn't happening
Colleges might still like it tho...

source.gif

kevin-feige-marvel-studios-variety-cover-story-2.jpg
So instead of ******ed Star Wars, we'll get MCU-ized Star Wars. Eh. Jeez.

Poor Terrio being caught in this mess. Feels like him being co-credited for Josstice League. Trevorrow is co-credited for TRoS as well while his vision was quite different for the Ep.IX from what I've heard.

Disney is the worst thing that has happened to the modern mainstream cinema.

Star Wars going forward will be fine, there's a reason they brought Kevin Fiege in for the next one. His involvement alone will give the next movie a huge confidence boost in the eyes of the majority of fans and audiences. Kennedy really does need to go though.
Even Kevin Fiege cannot save the destruction of the original trilogy. He will probably stay far away from this mess. He better be careful, I question the direction of Marvel with Captain Marvel being the lead superhero.

I think it’s become clear that Terrio just isn’t cut out to do these big budget movies. Whether it be superhero movies like BvS or space operas like Star Wars, he seems to miss everytime. After this, Terrio should go back to writing political thrillers like Argo or something. Blockbusters just isn’t for him. This is yet another stain on his resume.

At this point, **** this trilogy. TFA was a perfectly good point of departure for the third trilogy and they seem to have completely **** the bed with the two sequels, not respecting established fans and seemingly treating the general audience like mindless lemmings too.

It’s a shame that a franchise this big would fail this badly.

I think it’s become clear that Terrio just isn’t cut out to do these big budget movies. Whether it be superhero movies like BvS or space operas like Star Wars, he seems to miss everytime. After this, Terrio should go back to writing political thrillers like Argo or something. Blockbusters just isn’t for him. This is yet another stain on his resume.

But is it necessarily Terrio? I think he's just picked projects that were in bad spots. Both JL and Episode 9 were projects of course correction apparently, and that leads to poor creative potential

But is it necessarily Terrio? I think he's just picked projects that were in bad spots. Both JL and Episode 9 were projects of course correction apparently, and that leads to poor creative potential
But BvS was certainly not a course correction movie(at least not in the way 9 and JL was) and it’s still widely disliked and he was instrumental in shaping the story and ideas of that movie.

Now I’m not saying Terrio is entirely to blame since ultimately the director is most responsible for the end product but it seems a lot of the issues that the reviewers are having with the movie seem to revolve around what they think is poor and inconsistent writing, and the overstuffed convoluted nature of the plot which are complaints that I’ve seen before in his previous blockbuster work. I just don’t think the guy was suited for this, though that’s not to take away from J.J’s failings as well. He’s most to blame.

Last edited:
It is kind of odd that a guy who just wrote a film qualified as messy and convoluted has been hired to work on a trilogy in needs of plot clarification... Let alone the finale of a massive saga...
From the moment JJA was back and Disney choose to let him (kind of) retcons things, they should have turned to someone safer in this field.

The blame cannot IMO go to the creatives teams for this mess of a trilogy. JJ, Johnson, Terrio, these guy were brought in under a leadership that had no idea about what it actually wanted. Disney spent 4 billion dollars on this property, and not once did they have a ****ing clue what to do with it. Everything started from the top. Iger purchasing something he didn't know how to handle, and Kennedy having no creative vision about where things should be going. Too busy creating stupid departments like the Story Group whose contribution to the franchises seems to rank somewhere between zero and nothing, and opening half baked theme parks expansions that no-one is attending than sitting in a board room and working to 3am figuring out a plan for the next trilogy of movies. I've gone from being depressed, to indifferent, to saddened, and now angry. And I'm not even really the biggest Star Wars fan. I'm angry because a corporation was given the keys, and frankly the privilege, to one of the most beloved franchises in the world, and they didn't have a ****ing plan. That is a far bigger sin to the mythology than anything Lucas did in the prequels.

Damn was not expecting a score that low. I thought it would be in the 80s range.

Unfortunately I'm not getting the sense this will go up by much.

I'm really curious to see this movie now. Bummer it's not better received.

All right! Let's see that score...!!
*looks at rottentomatoes*
My...life....my life...a lie.

Seriously didn't expect that low of a score. Yikes.

Unfortunately I'm not getting the sense this will go up by much.

I'm really curious to see this movie now. Bummer it's not better received.

+/- 5% from here on in.

Yikes, I was thinking 70's. I don't think it will stay rotten, but that is lower than I expected.

The last jedi will forever be the best reviewed sequel trilogy movie though and that's kind of sweet retribution for Rian Johnson. Lol

They should have just made a sequel to that movie lol

Actually, TFA has a 93% vs TLJ's 91%. So TFA is slightly better reviewed critically, even if I think TLJ is miles better

Actually, TFA has a 93% vs TLJ's 91%. So TFA is slightly better reviewed critically, even if I think TLJ is miles better

Yeah I completely forgot the score to tfa I had deleted in shame after I checked lmao.

Still they should have just made a sequel to that movie lol

You know what this kind of feels like?

The 3rd hobbit film lol

I actually liked that one the most, lol. Was not a fan of either Hobbit 1 or 2.

My gut feeling is this will be my least favorite of this trilogy. I hope I am wrong.

I actually liked that one the most, lol. Was not a fan of either Hobbit 1 or 2.

My gut feeling is this will be my least favorite of this trilogy. I hope I am wrong.

I liked the extended edition a lot but the theatrical version was not my favorite.

Wow, 61% right now. And these should be the earliest, most positive reviews. I wasn’t expecting a full-on rotten but can see it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"