The Rise of Skywalker SW: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER - The Rotten Tomatoes thread

As an unapologetic TLJ hater, I love it. Retcon it to hell JJ!

Well fans and critics love TFA. Critics loved TLJ but fans hated it. Now Critics hated ROSW. So critics are 2/3 in this trilogy. Question is will fans also be 2/3 or are they going to hate this to and be just 1/3?
Hard to say

TLJ derailed everything set up in TFA. Most fans hated that movie and feel that the damage done by Rian Johnson is irreparable so they pretty much see Rise of Skywalker as dead on arrival

These next couple of days, if not weeks, should be interesting

If fans are has like hard on this has critics after the way TLJ went its going to be known has a trilogy that was a disspointment with portention has most people loved TFA. A lot of trilogy's go bad with number 3 but this man be a trilogy that went bad at 2 after a great start. If so its also going to make the next few years with social media really hard to talk about star wars. Its already been hard after TLJ. Now of course there is a chance that fans end up liking it a lot more then critics only time will tell.

I was when I started reading the spoilers, then saw the run time. This sounds like episode 8 and 9, that still has to acknowledge TLJ exist, while dismissing it. I am so curious how I feel about it.
I avoid spoilers like the plague so i have no idea what's happening but dismissing the events of the 2nd film of a trilogy is very very stupid imo. I'm not saying that just because I loved Ep 8 either. Say what you will about the prequels but i still give Lucas props for sticking to his guns while making them, no matter how much a lot of us hated it. You don't see The MCU doing that for example. Hell they even made Thor: The Dark World matter for Avengers: Endgame for goodness sake.

Star Wars going forward will be fine, there's a reason they brought Kevin Fiege in for the next one. His involvement alone will give the next movie a huge confidence boost in the eyes of the majority of fans and audiences. Kennedy really does need to go though.

Hard to say

TLJ derailed everything set up in TFA. Most fans hated that movie and feel that the damage done by Rian Johnson is irreparable so they pretty much see Rise of Skywalker as dead on arrival

These next couple of days, if not weeks, should be interesting

Yeah boxoffice will be a big tell to. TLJ had bad legs. If this movie does the same that would also be kind of a telling thing to. Now on the other hand if it has really good legs that could be pointing to fans liking it and not agreeing with critics.

Star Wars going forward will be fine, there's a reason they brought Kevin Fiege in for the next one. His involvement alone will give the next movie a huge confidence boost in the eyes of the majority of fans and audiences. Kennedy really does need to go though.
And hopefully Jon Favreau & Dave Filoni play larger roles in the creative process. They’ve done an excellent job with The Mandalorian and I hope to see them bring that care & love to the movies

As much as I hate bringing Marvel into this situation I honestly think Fiege cannot come to the rescue soon enough. People can say what they want about the MCU, but that franchise has shown at least something resembling a cohesive vision and you can tell some actual planning went into it.

I really do hope that they also somehow let Favreau and Filoni have more creative control in the future as well, especially after seeing the work they have done on Mandalorian so far.

I avoid spoilers like the plague so i have no idea what's happening but dismissing the events of the 2nd film of a trilogy is very very stupid imo. I'm not saying that just because I loved Ep 8 either. Say what you will about the prequels but i still give Lucas props for sticking to his guns while making them, no matter how much a lot of us hated it. You don't see The MCU doing that for example. Hell they even made Thor: The Dark World matter for Avengers: Endgame for goodness sake.
He didn't though. That is why Jar Jar disappeared.

And the issue here is the concept of sticking to your guns. Whose guns was JJ suppose to stick to?

TOMATOMETER
56%

Avg Rating: 6.22/10
Total Count: 43
Fresh: 24
Rotten: 19

It looked like the reception wasn’t going to be over the moon but I wasn’t expecting this bad.

He didn't though. That is why Jar Jar disappeared.

And the issue here is the concept of sticking to your guns. Whose guns was JJ suppose to stick to?
It's hard to say personally since I don't want to know details until I've seen it but when i hear that the darn thing retcons the 2nd film a lot i wonder "what in the hell?!". We'll definitely get back to that one after we've both seen it.

And even though jar jar's role is very diminished Lucas still had him give Palpatine emergency powers like a crazy man! In terms of sticking to his guns though, I was thinking more on the level of the filmmaking techniques, cheesy dialogue, over use of cgi and strange way of directing actors that stayed pretty consistent in the whole prequel trilogy. Oh and midicolorians. Ugh. But i still respect him for mostly doing what he thought was best for the story. Even if a lot of us hated those decisions.

So at this rate hopefully it can just get to a 60. Does any one remember a movie that started of with like this kind of score in its first 50 reviews or so and bounced back and end up at like a 70?

TOMATOMETER
56%

Avg Rating: 6.22/10
Total Count: 43
Fresh: 24
Rotten: 19

It looked like the reception wasn’t going to be over the moon but I wasn’t expecting this bad.

And Its top critics score is really not good so far at 1 fresh 5 rotten and 5.42 average.

It's hard to say personally since I don't want to know details until I've seen it but when i hear that the darn thing retcons the 2nd film a lot i wonder "what in the hell?!". We'll definitely get back to that one after we've both seen it.

And even though jar jar's role is very diminished Lucas still had him give Palpatine emergency powers like a crazy man! In terms of sticking to his guns though, I was thinking more on the level of the filmmaking techniques, cheesy dialogue, over use of cgi and strange way of directing actors that stayed pretty consistent in the whole prequel trilogy. Oh and midicolorians. Ugh. But i still respect him for mostly doing what he thought was best for the story. Even if a lot of us hated those decisions.
It does not retcon VIII.

In that case, they stuck to there guns here, with the way they decided to give most of the control to the director of each film.

This movie isn't even a course correction, it's a total backtrack to Episode VII.

It's like the epilogue of EPVII, the remake of EPV8, and the conclusion with EPIX. The movie is bloated with a capital B.

The reason you can get away with it in Marvel is because they parse and compartmentalize the development and buildup in other films. They didn't do it here. It's all dumped into one movie.

About 80% of us thought it would be at a 70+ that voted and no body picked below 60.

So at this rate hopefully it can just get to a 60. Does any one remember a movie that started of with like this kind of score in its first 50 reviews or so and bounced back and end up at like a 70?
Beauty and the Beast. I know, I watched the whole thing. :funny:

It does not retcon VIII.

In that case, they stuck to there guns here, with the way they decided to give most of the control to the director of each film.

It not only retcons Last Jedi, it gleefully insults Last Jedi.

Kind of sounds like they tried to maybe jam a lot into one movie kind of like spiderman 3. Maybe they should have pushed this back and just split it into episodes 9-10 or something.

I can’t wait to read the eventual interviews where Abrams and co get candid about just what in the hell happened.

Kind of sounds like they tried to maybe jam a lot into one movie kind of like spiderman 3. Maybe they should have pushed this back and just split it into episodes 9-10 or something.

It reminds me of Spider-Man 3, BvS, and Pirates 3 in that regard. It's like the stuff they forgot to seed in Episode VII, course correcting from episode 8 and then finishing up episode 9.

Well this makes me sad stayed up about 40 minutes longer then i should have got to get to bed now less then 6 hours and i got to get up for work. Hopefully when i get up in the morning after how ever many more reviews come out between then and now it starts to look better.

This movie isn't even a course correction, it's a total backtrack to Episode VII.

It's like the epilogue of EPVII, the remake of EPV8, and the conclusion with EPIX. The movie is bloated with a capital B.

The reason you can get away with it in Marvel is because they parse and compartmentalize the development and buildup in other films. They didn't do it here. It's all dumped into one movie.
I am curious if I enjoy this version of 8 more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"