Taika Waititi’ - “Jojo Rabbit”

Not sure why it's worrisome for X-Men after some of the worst X-Men movies of all time.
Worrisome that they will excise the controversial and contemporary commentary and themes for fear of making people "uncomfortable".

Worrisome that they will excise the controversial and contemporary commentary and themes for fear of making people "uncomfortable".

I mean did you see Captain Marvel? I think that alone proves that's nonsense.

Plus that movie used the Skrulls on commentary about immigration and immigration rights.

I mean did you see Captain Marvel? I think that alone proves that's nonsense.

Plus that movie used the Skrulls on commentary about immigration and immigration rights.
Why use Captain Marvel, a film with incredibly wishy-washy politics, as the example and not Black Panther? The film that actually explored issues in depth and not just give lip service to it?

Why use Captain Marvel, a film with incredibly wishy-washy politics, as the example and not Black Panther? The film that actually explored issues in depth and not just give lip service to it?
Was Captain Marvel that wishy washy? I'm not sure it was. But there you go, Black Panther is another one.

How were either of those films controversial in any way shape or form?

Was Captain Marvel that wishy washy? I'm not sure it was. But there you go, Black Panther is another one.
Captain Marvel is so faintly about immigration that using it would be a bad example. Black Panther's whole thesis is about the Black identity

The skinny: The “anti-hate satire” centers on Jojo (Davis), a 10-year-old boy recruited into a Nazi youth camp during World War II who discovers that his mother (Johansson) is hiding a Jewish girl (Thomasin McKenzie) in their attic. Jojo is bullied by peers but confides in his imaginary friend, a very goofy Hitler (Waititi). “We went out to a lot of actors to play the role of Hitler but their agents were all too scared to even ask them, so Fox Searchlight encouraged me to do it,” the director says. “By far, the most difficult aspect of the role was having to see myself in the mirror as Hitler. As one can imagine, I really don’t like the guy and I felt like he had eaten me.”

fb58faf4-c647-4c74-be34-1ea5e99bbf6c-Jojo_Rabbt.jpg

Happy birthday Taika Waititi.
Legend. Thank you!
:yay:

Doubt they'd piss off tika seeing as he had success with ragnarok and is making love and thunder.

Methink it’s a ploy to create buzz. Someone “leaked” the nervous exec. Alright....

TIFF 2019
Jojo Rabbit - 7 screenings (4 public)
1st screening / World Premiere - September 8th

In a series of deft, groundbreaking comedies, Taika Waititi took sharp left turns into coming-of-age stories (Boy), vampire movies (What We Do in the Shadows), and even our sacred superheroes (Thor: Ragnarok). Now he brings his half-Maori, half-Jewish, fully skewed sensibilities to his most daring film yet. A dazzling takedown of fascist thinking and the violence it fuels, Jojo Rabbit begins in biting satire but delivers surprising emotional impact.

Jojo Betzler (Roman Griffin Davis) is a precocious kid in World War II Germany with an egregious blind spot. Socially awkward, but a proud member of the Hitler Youth, Jojo passes much of his time with his imaginary friend Adolf (Waititi), a cuddly, energetic, pep-talking version of the Führer. Having completely bought into Nazi hate, Jojo is incensed when he discovers that his mother (Scarlett Johansson, also at the Festival in Marriage Story) has been working for the resistance, helping to keep safe the Jewish people he's been taught to hate. With Germany on the brink of collapse, he is faced with the choice of clinging to his hateful beliefs or embracing his humanity.

Jojo Rabbit walks a precarious high wire, savaging the antisemitism of the Nazi era while identifying pointed parallels to today's fascist groupthink. Waititi, who has long had a gift for infusing even his wildest comedies with real heart, guides this film from taboo-breaking scenes reminiscent of Monty Python or Mel Brooks into far more emotional territory, as Jojo confronts the damage he's done. A singular and essential response to both history and our current moment, Jojo Rabbit simply must be seen.
Jojo Rabbit

Amazing and hilarious trailer. :D
Taika is a genius. Also a great new poster.

I must've missed when Stephen Merchant joined this movie. Love that actor. Also, "Burn down the house and blame Winston Churchill" is a great line.

As any Taika Waititi movie this one is endlessly quotable.
"Kids it's time to burn some books. Yes!"
"Burn down the house and blame Winston Churchill"
"It's definitely not a good time to be a nazi."

JoJo's actor really does look like he could be the son of of Scarlett Johansson

I haven't laughed this much at Hitler since The Producers or Hitler on Ice XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member