The Dark Knight Rises TDKR Trailer #3 debuting in The AVENGERS (May 4) - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Whedon as a writer, but that's the second time you've mentioned him in the same sentence as Mamet, and it's the second time my eyes nearly jumped out of my skull with incredulity. Also, the person who said every film has a deus ex machina needs to watch more good films.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not comparing their quality, i'm comparing their styles, you know? They are similar. Sharp, snappy, witty. I just prefer that type of dialogue.

Again, maybe you should read what I am posting instead of going off on pointless tangents. Just because I think there are instances of poor writing and cheesy scenes does not mean the writing and characterisations in the entire film are worthless. You seem to be the one that just can't seem to digest the fact that someone can actually dislike something about the Avengers and that is just childish. Not liking certain parts does not equal hating the film as a whole. Grow up.

I can understand people not liking parts of Avengers... jesus christ. I've criticised parts of it myself. I think the first act is rather boring, it drags. The film doesn't really kick off until it gets to Germany. Amongst other things.

But you come in out of no where, beating your ****ing chest "HAHAHA you think Whedon's writing is better than Nolan's! You ****ing child! hahaha! This movie was full of corny moments! This movie is barely above Transformers!"

Son, just don't.

Last edited:
Michael Bay could only wish he could do a film at the level of The Avengers and receive critical acclaim at the same time :p

Let's not change the subject here. We are talking about the quality of writing and characterisation, not what kinds of films you and I like or what the general audience likes. Whether or not those films are "depressing" is irrelevant. My point was that they had great writing and characterisation and if your endless trumpeting of box office figures was valid in any way, it would have been those films at the top of the pyramid rather than what we have today.

The difference is I'm using actual figures to represent my view; and you are using only your opinon of your favorite movies. Nobody on these boards is going to agree with you that Apocalypse Now and Citizen Kane are the best movies ever like you say; cause those are YOUR opinion. But the box office figures do prove that ALOT of people loved Avengers. Does that have anything to do with TDK and writing and characterization? No, but I'm not arguing that with you. I'm arguing the fact that you think YOUR favorite movies deserve to be at the top.

I"m more concerned that my questions that actually pertain to the board topic keep getting overlooked cause you guys are too busy swinging your ***** around!

As well as critical acclaim. I'm not one to use box office receipts on their own to judge a movies quality. But what box office receipts do show is that the movie resonates with people.

Both Avatar and Titanic have a higher metacritic score than Avengers. And since there is no way Avengers is going to match their box office, as per your logic, would you concede that they are better films?

No... my explanation for the Cap scene is that it's a piece of characterisation. Cap, with his actions, not words, shows these cynical cops what it means to be an American icon. That's what Cap does. He inspires with his actions.

And my point was that the way it played out was cliched and contrived, and had been done in many other movies before.

The Hulk scene? Yep i've explained that too.

Yeah, by saying how it was a funny scene and the audience was in stitches at your showings. Yes, that is precisely the kind of reaction an audience has to a deep, contemplative scene, because that is what it was (well, according to you anyway, what with your lengthy explanation of how it was a piece of characterisation), wasn't it?

So no you are belittling the people who didn't get that? Bravo.

In all likelihood, anyone who didn't notice it was probably might have been just not paying enough attention, not because it was so subtle and deep. I mean, he goes back to Stark freakin' tower after that! No, there was absolutely no way he could've been talking about himself in that scene! :wow:

:funny:

What is wrong with the villain being humiliated? Loki was an ********. Belittling Banner throughout the movie. Telling humans they are beneath him, making them kneel. Completely verbally assaulting Black Widow, calling her a quim, of all things.

Then Hulk, the ****ing man, comes in and shows this "god" that he is puny. It was great. The fact that Loki was such a prick is part of the reason why the crowd responded so well. This arrogant, jumped up little prick who views humans as ants got what was coming to him. A utterly humilating humbling at the hands of Hulk.

Again, there is a "serious" way to do it. And there is a "tongue-in-cheek" way to do it. Nothing wrong with humiliating your villain. But humiliating does not mean making a complete joke or a mockery out of your villain. See the subtle difference? :funny:

Spoonfed to infants? :funny: Says the guy who thinks Nolan's spoon feeding dialogue is brilliant :oldrazz:

Apparently you hate it so much that you're in desperate need of it, especially when you've stooped so low as begging me to do the spoonfeeding for you.

I'll say that the dialogue was the film's strongest aspect, as is it is with most Whedon films.

But this story is just kind of meh for me. Which leads me to the obvious assumption that Whedon did not write this. There is no way in the mother of all things holy and unholy that Whedon would ever write a Nuke deus ex machina like that. That's some Zak Penn ***** right there.

With what Whedon had to work with in terms of story, he did a damn good job - give the man credit where credit is due.

While I felt that the film's opening sequence was much too expository and slow and that Thor was slightly underused, the film was still a Massively enjoyable piece of American cinema.

Last edited:
The difference is I'm using actual figures to represent my view; and you are using only your opinon of your favorite movies. Nobody on these boards is going to agree with you that Apocalypse Now and Citizen Kane are the best movies ever like you say; cause those are YOUR opinion. But the box office figures do prove that ALOT of people loved Avengers. Does that have anything to do with TDK and writing and characterization? No, but I'm not arguing that with you. I'm arguing the fact that you think YOUR favorite movies deserve to be at the top.

I"m more concerned that my questions that actually pertain to the board topic keep getting overlooked cause you guys are too busy swinging your ***** around!

Again, whoever said anything about what films people like or what are your favorite movies? The question was about the quality of writing and characterisation and you jump in shouting "box office! box office!" and my question to you is - how is that in any way relevant?

But you come in out of no where, beating your ****ing chest "HAHAHA you think Whedon's writing is better than Nolan's! You ****ing child! hahaha! This movie was full of corny moments! This movie is barely above Transformers!"

Son, just don't.

I admit that the Transformers comment was slightly uncalled for, but in no other instance did I make the sort of absurd and ludicrous comments that you are accusing me of. You only need to look back at the previous pages to see who has been ripping their hair out and getting their Avengers panties in a bunch and it's not me. Again, grow up.

I'll say that the dialogue was the film's strongest aspect, as is it is with most Whedon films.

But this story is just kind of meh for me. Which leads me to the obvious assumption that Whedon did not write this. There is no way in the mother of all things holy and unholy that Whedon would ever write a Nuke deus ex machina like that. That's some Zack Penn ***** right there.

With what Whedon had to work with in terms of story, he did a damn good job - give the man credit where credit is due.

While I felt that the film's opening sequence was much too expository and slow and that Thor was slightly underused, the film was still a Massively enjoyable piece of American cinema.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...zak-penn-which-he-tossed-out-rewrote-20120502

Both Avatar and Titanic have a higher metacritic score than Avengers. And since there is no way Avengers is going to match their box office, as per your logic, would you concede that they are better films?

No i won't. I don't think they are better films.

And my point was that the way it played out was cliched and contrived, and had been done in many other movies before.

Maybe so. But how many things have been done in movies before? Pretty much everything.

How many times has the hero saved the bad guy from death before, like what Batman did with Joker?

What matters is the execution.

Yeah, by saying how it was a funny scene and the audience was in stitches at your showings. Yes, that is precisely the kind of reaction an audience has to a deep, contemplative scene, because that is what it was (well, according to you anyway, what with your lengthy explanation of how it was a piece of characterisation), wasn't it?

Why does it have to be a deep, contemplative scene? Does this mean it's inherently worse or less credible? If so, why?

And it was characterisation, it was Hulk's revenge. And it was the moment where Loki's hubris and arrogance came crashing down.

In all likelihood, anyone who didn't notice it was probably might have been just not paying enough attention, not because it was so subtle and deep. I mean, he goes back to Stark freakin' tower after that! No, there was absolutely no way he could've been talking about himself in that scene! :wow:

Some people might have just linked the final part of his line to him realising it was going to go down at Stark Tower. Specifically the line about "his name in the sky".

Or, as was intended, it was a self reflective moment.

Again, there is a "serious" way to do it. And there is a "tongue-in-cheek" way to do it. Nothing wrong with humiliating your villain. But humiliating does not mean making a complete joke or a mockery out of your villain. See the subtle difference? :funny:

Again, why does it HAVE to be serious? Does it being serious make it inherently better? People the world over enjoyed this scene. They were entertained by it, they were laughing, it resonated with them, it made them feel happy. That is what films are about. Getting emotional responses, whatever they are.

Apparently you hate it so much that you're in desperate need of it, especially when you've stooped so low as begging me to do the spoonfeeding for you.

Hate what so much? TDK? I don't hate any film. How can you hate an inanimate ****ing object?!

Do i hate the spoon feeding, exposition heavy dialogue? Yes.

I'm not begging you to spoon feed me, i'm asking you to explain what made Bruce Wayne so interesting, for you.

Last edited:
Guys, there's an Avengers forum on SHH if you want to debate the movie.

I admit that the Transformers comment was slightly uncalled for, but in no other instance did I make the sort of absurd and ludicrous comments that you are accusing me of. You only need to look back at the previous pages to see who has been ripping their hair out and getting their Avengers panties in a bunch and it's not me. Again, grow up.

Ripping my hair out and getting my panties in a bunch? Errrmm no? I'm perfectly calm. I think anyone else watching this thread can see it's you who is getting a little bit too passionate.

This whole debate was over, me and other posters were talking about Nolan's Bat films. Then BOOM out of nowhere you come in all arrogant. What was your line "When someone says Avengers writing was better than Nolan's Bat films writing i've gotta tell them what's what" or something.

How charming. Trust me, you're coming off worse in this debate than me fella, just by your overbearing arrogant attitude, whether you're making good points or not is irrelevant. Didn't your mother ever tell you "It's not what you say, it's how you say it?"

Last edited:
The Morningstar said:
A film doesn't make 200 million OW on the back of fanboys and great action scenes.

It certainly wasn't the writing and characterisation - Citizen Kane this is not. The movie appealed to a wide audience because it was "fun" and lighthearted. Let's not pretend there were any deep thematic elements because there were none. You wax lyrical about the film as if it's the second coming. Some of us set our sights a little higher than that.

Let's not pretend the Avengers is something it isn't. It was an amusing and entertaining superhero movie. I certainly was laughing my ass off throughout the whole movie. But that's where it ends.

Yup. The comedic elements were clearly the best part. But it's a movie I see and literally forget about two minutes after leaving the theatre. Great fun and humor/action, but to me thats it.

No i won't. I don't think they are better films.

Why not? Avengers will never outgross those films, and both those movies had greater critical acclaim. Unless of course, you admit to using broken logic.

Maybe so. But how many things have been done in movies before? Pretty much everything.

How many times has the hero saved the bad guy from death before, like what Batman did with Joker?

What matters is the execution.

This is not about general themes and ideas in movies. This is about a single scene that had been done in many other movies countless number of times before. And that joke isn't funny anymore.

Why does it have to be a deep, contemplative scene? Does this mean it's inherently worse or less credible? If so, why?

No, it's not a deep and contemplative scene. Which goes to show your half-paragraph explanation of the deeper meaning behind that scene was utter nonsense. It is what it is - a tongue-in-cheek moment designed to make the audience laugh. It would've been really good had it been some lesser minion rather than the film's main villain at the receiving end.

And it was characterisation, it was Hulk's revenge. And it was the moment where Loki's hubris and arrogance came crashing down.

In a silly joke. Yes, that's how seriously show the collapse of a villain's hubris and arrogance. By smacking him around like a 3-year baby boy would treat a Barbie doll and have said villain give out a fain whine and utterly stupid expression.

Some people might have just linked the final part of his line to him realising it was going to go down at Stark Tower. Specifically the line about "his name in the sky".

Or, as was intended, it was a self reflective moment.

And how was the fact that it was going to do down at Stark Tower not a reflection on Tony himself? I mean, he made it clear only in so many words that it was his ego run amok. "Give yourself 12% credit". "Delusional, self-obsessive". Nope, all that stuff he said about Loki being a diva was never directly reference at Stark himself in the film. :rolleyes:

"Subtle" indeed. Good Lord.:facepalm:

Again, why does it HAVE to be serious? Does it being serious make it inherently better?

No, being serious alone doesn't make it inherently better. But if that scene actually had half as much substance as you claim it did, then the only way to show something like that and let the audience even remotely understand the true purpose of that scene would be to show it in a serious way.

Hate what so much? TDK? I don't hate any film. How can you hate an inanimate ****ing object?!

Do i hate the spoon feeding, exposition heavy dialogue? Yes.

I'm not begging you to spoon feed me, i'm asking you to explain what made Bruce Wayne so interesting, for you.

And I like I said, it is more than enough that I am having this conversation with you. I don't need to prove anything to you, so get that through your head before you think you are in any position to demand anything from me. You want explanations for what made Bruce Wayne such an interesting character in TDK? Go check my posts and those of other users in the TDK forum.

Who said it's Citizen Kane? And i set my sights high too, when it's appropriate. My favourite movie of all time is Blade Runner.

This movie did have great writing and characterisation. Does that mean i'm comparing it to Citizen Kane? Errr... no.

And there were layers, they are just easily overlooked because HOLY **** THOR AND HULK ARE FIGHTING. Who gives a **** about global energy crisis metaphors (which the Tesseract clearly was) when you've got **** like that going down? Also, Loki's rant in Germany "you crave subjugation" rings true, it's an interesting thought. Would the world be a more peaceful place under one ruler? Is it easier to be a shepard or a sheep?

But again, the film doesn't make a big deal about those things because frankly, who gives a ****? This is a film about superheroes getting past their own individual problems and forming a team to save the world.

Wow chill out on the swearing there guy. Relax. It's only a superhero movie, right?

And I like I said, it is more than enough that I am having this conversation with you. I don't need to prove anything to you, so get that through your head before you think you are in any position to demand anything from me.

Jesus christ...

Forgive me, I just had to.

tumblr_leo7meesCz1qa9dzlo1_500.jpg

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE F***ING OBJECT"

Why not? Avengers will never outgross those films, and both those movies had greater critical acclaim. Unless of course, you admit to using broken logic.

What broken logic? You said Avengers didn't have great writing and characterisation, the vast majority, disagree.

This is not about general themes and ideas in movies. This is about a single scene that had been done in many other movies countless number of times before. And that joke isn't funny anymore.

The good guy saving the bad guy has been done in many other movies countless times before. What's your point? That movies have cliches? Bravo.

Again, it's about execution.

No, it's not a deep and contemplative scene. Which goes to show your half-paragraph explanation of the deeper meaning behind that scene was utter nonsense. It is what it is - a tongue-in-cheek moment designed to make the audience laugh. It would've been really good had it been some lesser minion rather than the film's main villain at the receiving end.

In a silly joke. Yes, that's how seriously show the collapse of a villain's hubris and arrogance. By smacking him around like a 3-year baby boy would treat a Barbie doll and have said villain give out a fain whine and utterly stupid expression.

No, the layers are there, but it gets such a visceral reaction because it is genuinely funny. Doesn't mean the other layers and subtexts don't exist.

And do you understand the Loki character? He is a man child. A spoilt man child. Underneath all that hubris and arrogance he is a fragile child who is bitter at being overshadowed by his brother. That is who Loki is. Really, what happened to him there was in character. There are scenes in the comics where when he is ultimately defeated, he is a little *****.

And how was the fact that it was going to do down at Stark Tower not a reflection on Tony himself? I mean, he made it clear only in so many words that it was his ego run amok. "Give yourself 12% credit". "Delusional, self-obsessive". Nope, all that stuff he said about Loki being a diva was never directly reference at Stark himself in the film. :rolleyes:

"Subtle" indeed. Good Lord.:facepalm:

It was subtle in that it wasn't directly spoon fed. Stark didn't come out and say "Oh, Loki is just like me, so he'll be at Stark Tower!"

Also what else was subtle is when he was talking to Loki, mentioning the other Avengers, he doesn't even mention himself. Here he has realised that no, it isn't about him, he's not THE man. Him not mentioning himself represents that without some spoon feeding dialogue from him like what would happen in a Nolan film.

No, being serious alone doesn't make it inherently better. But if that scene actually had half as much substance as you claim it did, then the only way to show something like that and let the audience even remotely understand the true purpose of that scene would be to show it in a serious way.

No it's not, don't be silly. So you are suggesting that because the scene is played for laughs, there is no other layers there? Is that what you are suggesting? Because if so, i think you're incorrect.

And I like I said, it is more than enough that I am having this conversation with you. I don't need to prove anything to you, so get that through your head before you think you are in any position to demand anything from me. You want explanations for what made Bruce Wayne such an interesting character in TDK? Go check my posts and those of other users in the TDK forum.

I'm not demanding anything, i'm not asking you to prove anything. I'm asking for your opinion, that's it. That's the key word, OPINION. You might think Bruce is interesting, but that's what you think. And so far, you haven't actually expressed why you think he is interesting in TDK.

All you are basically doing is "i'm right, you're wrong". Well played. Bravo. Your arrogance is astounding. Your are the very definition of what gives the Bat boards a bad rep, you know that don't you?

Last edited:
Wow chill out on the swearing there guy. Relax. It's only a superhero movie, right?

Hey i'm am relaxed. It's just the s word. You know, like when someone says holy ****! It doesn't mean they are being aggressive.

Jesus christ...

I know, it's hilarious isn't it. He is the very definition of... well, i won't say it. But you know what i mean, don't you? :D

What broken logic? You said Avengers didn't have great writing and characterisation, the vast majority, disagree.

The good guy saving the bad guy has been done in many other movies countless times before. What's your point? That movies have cliches? Bravo.

Again, it's about execution.

No, the layers are there, but it gets such a visceral reaction because it is genuinely funny. Doesn't mean the other layers and subtexts don't exist.

And do you understand the Loki character? He is a man child. A spoilt man child. Underneath all that hubris and arrogance he is a fragile child who is bitter at being overshadowed by his brother. That is who Loki is. Really, what happened to him there was in character. There are scenes in the comics where when he is ultimately defeated, he is a little *****.

It was subtle in that it wasn't directly spoon fed. Stark didn't come out and say "Oh, Loki is just like me, so he'll be at Stark Tower!"

Also what else was subtle is when he was talking to Loki, mentioning the other Avengers, he doesn't even mention himself. Here he has realised that no, it isn't about him, he's not THE man. Him not mentioning himself represents that without some spoon feeding dialogue from him like what would happen in a Nolan film.

No it's not, don't be silly. So you are suggesting that because the scene is played for laughs, there is no other layers there? Is that what you are suggesting? Because if so, i think you're incorrect.

I'm not demanding anything, i'm not asking you to prove anything. I'm asking for your opinion, that's it. That's the key word, OPINION. You might think Bruce is interesting, but that's what you think. And so far, you haven't actually expressed why you think he is interesting in TDK.

All you are basically doing is "i'm right, you're wrong". Well played. Bravo.

Can you go discuss your love for the Avengers elsewhere?

Fenrir, please ignore him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back