TDK's Joker: The best film villain of all time?

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight' started by Diemtay, Jun 24, 2011.

?

Is he the best?

1. Yes

2. No

3. He's tied with another villian(s)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Captain_Obvious

Captain_Obvious Bless Us, Christ Bale

I'll say YES - I can't think of a current villain in the past few years who actually grabbed my attention.

Sure I can rattle on a list of villains from movies that are a decade or so old but right now, Joker is #1 and that kinda me sad when I think about it.

2. ThePhantasm

ThePhantasm 2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

:funny:

3. J5550123

J5550123 Member

I don't think I've ever seen a better acted more chaotic villain in any other movie.

4. Schlosser85

Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

He's definitely right up there, for me.

5. layarph

layarph Member

I can't think of a villain that compares in the same way ... using OP's original example of Darth Vader, the reason Joker is superior to most / all other villain's in my opinion is the "Human acting inhuman" manner ... mentally and physically. Yes, there's plenty of other villain's that act inhumanely, but you forget that Joker is a man with an upbringing, etc. You can't help but try to figure out how he got to where he is, mentally.

6. JerseyJoker

JerseyJoker Well-Known Member

Michael Corleone, Vader, Hannible, Hal, Bates.

Those are my top five at least. Joker is great, but he is not the GOAT or close.

7. ashleytdkr

ashleytdkr Member

I personally think Bales Patrick Bateman was a great villain. Joker #1

8. ilovethejoker

ilovethejoker New Member

9. BlackFox

BlackFox Red devil

Yeah, there's not many better I can think of.

10. Hellion

Hellion Oppa Is Here

I generally agree with the list, but being a Bond fan, kinda surprised some of the more iconic Bond villains weren't included...

11. Baramos

Baramos Well-Known Member

No, I don't think he is the BEST...he's up there, but he's not the best.

People have pointed out Darth Vader, well, yeah, of course. But there are numerous others, too...he's maybe in my top ten or something.

12. TheGuy

TheGuy Well-Known Member

Vader doesn't come close to Joker, honestly. Anton Chigurh, Hans Landa, and Hannibal Lecter were also better villains. Acting is important and the 4 of them beat Vader in that regard. His mask did not allow for facial expressions, you can make that as an excuse, but that's what he is. Also, I found Norman Bates shockingly unterrifying.

13. TheGuy

TheGuy Well-Known Member

I've seen North By Northwest, Rear Window, Psycho, and Vertigo. This is how I'd rank them:

1. Rear Window
    2. North By Northwest
    3. Vertigo
    4. Psycho

14. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

He's definitely one of them, I still think Darth Vader's the ultimate movie villain. I'd put him in my top 5 along with General Zod.

15. Baramos

Baramos Well-Known Member

I agree those are all amazing villains but Vader just so captures the archetype. There's something so elemental about the soulless mask and that terrifying, menacing voice. To me the lack of seeing his face is part of the point and adds to the mystique.

I do agree that I would put Anton Chigurh and Hannibal Lecter in my top ten, but they would be above the Joker...and probably below Vader. I loved Hans Landa but I'm not sure how much that movie will grow on me over time, I love it now but I dunno if it's ever going to equal Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs for me...

I admit characters like Chigurh and Lecter, and indeed the Joker, are much more complex characters, thematically, than Vader, who is something of a cliche, but that's kind of the point, he's supposed to be like a classic villain from a melodrama. He desires power and control. He doesn't represent an abstract concept like nihilism or anarchy, he's a very concrete villain.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  16. DaltonSpidey94

DaltonSpidey94 Active Member

No, I'm still not a super huge fan of Ledger's Joker. Was he good? Sure, I just don't think he's as great as everyone says he is. Not sure who my favorite is, though.

17. Doomed_hero

Doomed_hero Well-Known Member

I dont feel joker was more complex then Vader. Vader had a internal struggle and a tragic story that makes him who he is. We hardly really know anything about Joker other then he likes to cause choas. he is a evil force of nature but not really that complex.

18. TheGuy

TheGuy Well-Known Member

I disagree.

Joker constantly makes up stories about how he became the Joker. From a psychologists point of view, he's a wealth of treasure. He's been in and out of Arkham, scientists trying to study his psychosis but still can't penetrate his twisted mind. His anarchic view on society. Plus he and batman perfectly fit the concept of yin and yang. One can't exist without the other. That makes for a deep character, IMO.

19. Steamteck

Steamteck Well-Known Member

OMG. You almost had me there for a second... Wait you can't actually be serious?????

20. Brain Damage

Brain Damage Everything Under the Sun

Heath Ledger's Joker is a thousand times scarier than Mark's. Mark loses right out of the gate because Heath just had much darker and scarier material to work with.

21. Victarion

Victarion Iron Captain

Among the Jokers, I consider Ledger's to be the best. I love his sense of humor:

"You think you can something steal from us?"

"Yeah."

:hehe:

22. Steamteck

Steamteck Well-Known Member

I'll disagree 100% there and raise you who's got more style and class and thus reveal your true nature.:woot:

23. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

He's right, Ledger's Joker was way more scarier than Hamill's. Not Hamill's fault because his Joker wasn't even allowed kill. He was under the constraints of Saturday morning cartoon censorship.