The Dark Knight TDK's Joker: The best film villain of all time?

I'll say YES - I can't think of a current villain in the past few years who actually grabbed my attention.

Sure I can rattle on a list of villains from movies that are a decade or so old but right now, Joker is #1 and that kinda me sad when I think about it.

I don't think I've ever seen a better acted more chaotic villain in any other movie.

I can't think of a villain that compares in the same way ... using OP's original example of Darth Vader, the reason Joker is superior to most / all other villain's in my opinion is the "Human acting inhuman" manner ... mentally and physically. Yes, there's plenty of other villain's that act inhumanely, but you forget that Joker is a man with an upbringing, etc. You can't help but try to figure out how he got to where he is, mentally.

Michael Corleone, Vader, Hannible, Hal, Bates.

Those are my top five at least. Joker is great, but he is not the GOAT or close.

I personally think Bales Patrick Bateman was a great villain. Joker #1

Yeah, there's not many better I can think of.

Here's AFI's Top 20

Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins) in The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins) in Psycho (1960)
Darth Vader (David Prowse/James Earl Jones) in The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
The Wicked Witch of the West (Margaret Hamilton) in The Wizard of Oz (1939)
Nurse Ratched (Louise Fletcher) in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Mr. Potter (Lionel Barrymore) in It's A Wonderful Life (1946)
Alex Forrest (Glenn Close) in Fatal Attraction (1987)
Phyllis Dietrichson (Barbara Stanwyck) in Double Indemnity (1944)
Regan MacNeil (Satan) (Linda Blair) in The Exorcist (1973)
The Queen (voice of Lucille LaVerne) in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
Michael Corleone (Al Pacino) in The Godfather, Part II (1974)
Alex DeLarge (Malcolm McDowell) in A Clockwork Orange (1971)
HAL 9000 (voice of Douglas Rain) in 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
The Alien (Bolaji Badejo) in Alien (1979)
Amon Goeth (Ralph Fiennes) in Schindler's List (1993)
Noah Cross (John Huston) in Chinatown (1974)
Annie Wilkes (Kathy Bates) in Misery (1990)
The Shark in Jaws (1975)
Captain Bligh (Charles Laughton) in Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)
Man in Bambi (1942)

:boba::boba::boba:

I generally agree with the list, but being a Bond fan, kinda surprised some of the more iconic Bond villains weren't included...

No, I don't think he is the BEST...he's up there, but he's not the best.

People have pointed out Darth Vader, well, yeah, of course. But there are numerous others, too...he's maybe in my top ten or something.

Vader doesn't come close to Joker, honestly. Anton Chigurh, Hans Landa, and Hannibal Lecter were also better villains. Acting is important and the 4 of them beat Vader in that regard. His mask did not allow for facial expressions, you can make that as an excuse, but that's what he is. Also, I found Norman Bates shockingly unterrifying.

Eh, I think Psycho has become less impressive with time.

It's not even in the Top 5 of my favorite Hitchcock films.
I've seen North By Northwest, Rear Window, Psycho, and Vertigo. This is how I'd rank them:

1. Rear Window
2. North By Northwest
3. Vertigo
4. Psycho

He's definitely one of them, I still think Darth Vader's the ultimate movie villain. I'd put him in my top 5 along with General Zod.

Vader doesn't come close to Joker, honestly. Anton Chigurh, Hans Landa, and Hannibal Lecter were also better villains. Acting is important and the 4 of them beat Vader in that regard. His mask did not allow for facial expressions, you can make that as an excuse, but that's what he is. Also, I found Norman Bates shockingly unterrifying.

I agree those are all amazing villains but Vader just so captures the archetype. There's something so elemental about the soulless mask and that terrifying, menacing voice. To me the lack of seeing his face is part of the point and adds to the mystique.

I do agree that I would put Anton Chigurh and Hannibal Lecter in my top ten, but they would be above the Joker...and probably below Vader. I loved Hans Landa but I'm not sure how much that movie will grow on me over time, I love it now but I dunno if it's ever going to equal Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs for me...

I admit characters like Chigurh and Lecter, and indeed the Joker, are much more complex characters, thematically, than Vader, who is something of a cliche, but that's kind of the point, he's supposed to be like a classic villain from a melodrama. He desires power and control. He doesn't represent an abstract concept like nihilism or anarchy, he's a very concrete villain.

Last edited:
No, I'm still not a super huge fan of Ledger's Joker. Was he good? Sure, I just don't think he's as great as everyone says he is. Not sure who my favorite is, though.

I dont feel joker was more complex then Vader. Vader had a internal struggle and a tragic story that makes him who he is. We hardly really know anything about Joker other then he likes to cause choas. he is a evil force of nature but not really that complex.

I dont feel joker was more complex then Vader. Vader had a internal struggle and a tragic story that makes him who he is. We hardly really know anything about Joker other then he likes to cause choas. he is a evil force of nature but not really that complex.
I disagree.

Joker constantly makes up stories about how he became the Joker. From a psychologists point of view, he's a wealth of treasure. He's been in and out of Arkham, scientists trying to study his psychosis but still can't penetrate his twisted mind. His anarchic view on society. Plus he and batman perfectly fit the concept of yin and yang. One can't exist without the other. That makes for a deep character, IMO.

OMG. You almost had me there for a second... Wait you can't actually be serious?????

Heath Ledger's Joker is a thousand times scarier than Mark's. Mark loses right out of the gate because Heath just had much darker and scarier material to work with.

Among the Jokers, I consider Ledger's to be the best. I love his sense of humor:

"You think you can something steal from us?"

"Yeah."

:hehe:

Heath Ledger's Joker is a thousand times scarier than Mark's. Mark loses right out of the gate because Heath just had much darker and scarier material to work with.

I'll disagree 100% there and raise you who's got more style and class and thus reveal your true nature.:woot:

He's right, Ledger's Joker was way more scarier than Hamill's. Not Hamill's fault because his Joker wasn't even allowed kill. He was under the constraints of Saturday morning cartoon censorship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"