Tessa Thompson wants an all female superhero movie

But it isn't forced sexism, is it? They're running with their current (or at the time) most popular characters, or ones that could make for an easier transition.

All sexism is forced. And the fact that all the popular characters are white males kind of proves the point.

Last I checked, there were women in the Avengers and Justice League.

Yeah. A token concession.

Last edited:
That's like saying: all feminism is forced. And the fact that all the main characters in the Ghostbusters remake are female kind of proves the point. No one is saying there aren't more (popular) male than female superheroes in these Marvel movies. The point is to have the story and characterization be a priority instead of a predictable, on the nose social message. Even if it's an all female team.

That's like saying: all feminism is forced. And the fact that all the main characters in the Ghostbusters remake are female kind of proves the point. No one is saying there aren't more (popular) male than female superheroes in these Marvel movies. The point is to have the story and characterization be a priority instead of a predictable, on the nose social message. Even if it's an all female team.
This is it exactly, yet it's a sentiment that apparently isn't understood by everyone here.

Tacit Ronin, I've said countless times that I don't mind female centric films, what I don't want however, is all the current female heroes thrown into one film just to make a point. I can't even fathom how this can be disputed.

1. Only if you position feminism on the other side of sexism's coin. Which deserves a laugh.

2. That only proves that the sum total of feminism to you is Ghostbusters. You've got a problem.

3. Then you should reflect why that is.

4. That was not the point I quoted.

This is it exactly, yet it's a sentiment that apparently isn't understood by everyone here.

Tacit Ronin, I've said countless times that I don't mind female centric films, what I don't want however, is all the current female heroes thrown into one film just to make a point. I can't even fathom how this can be disputed.

You said you don't want MCU descended into political correctness and sexism, which is utterly hilarious. The fact that you erase Hollywood and the comic industry's storied history of sexism, discrimination and political correctness and pretend that Ghostbusters is the flashpoint where the previously egalitarian Hollywood will descend into sexism kind of puts a dagger through whatever point you were trying to make.

Why does an all female superhero flick have to exist "just to make a point?" Why can't it be something new and different that we haven't seen before, like that little superhero movie featuring a Marvel B-lister that opened this month?

A female team up flick should - nay, must!- focus on topics relevant to the ladies. But it is only going to be looked at as preachy by those already reaching for their pearls before the first words come out of the gals mouth. I'm sure the same folks that were aghast at the word "colonizer" in Black Panther are going to be just floored when the Lady Liberators discuss things that don't put men on a pedestal. But as we've seen with T'Challa's results, those folks don't amount to much.

All male [with a token female] teams are natural and good. All female teams are pushing an evil agenda.

As long as they find a good and natural story for it, go right ahead
I just struggle at the moment to see how you get Widow, Valkyrie, the female guardians, Wasp and the Dora into a movie together unless its something as huge and universe spanning as Infinity War... based on the disparate corners of the MCU these characters inhabit, it could come off as convenient, or forced, or hokey.

So basically I do not in any way envy the writers of this potential film

1. Only if you position feminism on the other side of sexism's coin. Which deserves a laugh.

2. That only proves that the sum total of feminism to you is Ghostbusters. You've got a problem.

3. Then you should reflect why that is.

4. That was not the point I quoted.

Putting feminism on the other side of sexism's coin is only laughable if you are galactically ignorant.

3rd wave feminism = Misandry.

I could present a mountain of evidence that proves it, but you would simply ignore it so what's the point.

Btw an all female superhero team movie sounds fun. Just have it makes sense.

You said you don't want MCU descended into political correctness and sexism, which is utterly hilarious. The fact that you erase Hollywood and the comic industry's storied history of sexism, discrimination and political correctness and pretend that Ghostbusters is the flashpoint where the previously egalitarian Hollywood will descend into sexism kind of puts a dagger through whatever point you were trying to make.
You don't know what you're talking about, or at least you're jumping to incorrect conclusions and making dumbfounded accusations based on them. I really can't be bothered to discuss something with someone who's so clouded.

Why does an all female superhero flick have to exist "just to make a point?" Why can't it be something new and different that we haven't seen before, like that little superhero movie featuring a Marvel B-lister that opened this month?
Sigh! The problem isn't with a female superhero group, the problem is with throwing the existing female superheroes together for the sake of it.

What possible purpose or reason would there be for the likes of Tasha, Valkyrie, Wasp, Wanda, Maria Hill, Gamora, Mantis, Nebula and Captain Marvel (am I forgetting anyone) to suddenly find themselves in an adventure without any men present? That shouts right-wing feminist requirement to me; making a film, about female characters to please feminists.

All male [with a token female] teams are natural and good. All female teams are pushing an evil agenda.
I fear the only person with an agenda here, is you! :whatever:

Last edited:
Putting feminism on the other side of sexism's coin is only laughable if you are galactically ignorant.

3rd wave feminism = Misandry.

I could present a mountain of evidence that proves it, but you would simply ignore it so what's the point.

Btw an all female superhero team movie sounds fun. Just have it makes sense.

What right wing loser do you endlessly watch on youtube?

You don't know what you're talking about, or at least you're jumping to incorrect conclusions and making dumbfounded accusations based on them. I really can't be bothered to discuss something with someone who's so clouded.

Sigh! The problem isn't with a female superhero group, the problem is with throwing the existing female superheroes together for the sake of it.

What possible purpose or reason would there be for the likes of Tasha, Valkyrie, Wasp, Wanda, Maria Hill, Gamora, Mantis, Nebula and Captain Marvel (am I forgetting anyone) to suddenly find themselves in an adventure without any men present? That shouts right-wing feminist requirement to me; making a film, about female characters to please feminists.

I feat the only person with an agenda here, is you! :whatever:

1. Pathetic dodge. Oh, well.

2. They are throwing all the characters together to make a lot money. Just like Avengers and Justice League. Right wing feminist requirement? Right wing "feminists" want to be subservient to men. They don't want a film like this.

3. The agenda of diversity in film? The horror.

Lotta anger in here
How bout changing the discussion to what youd like the story for the movie to be...?

I just struggle at the moment to see how you get Widow, Valkyrie, the female guardians, Wasp and the Dora into a movie together unless its something as huge and universe spanning as Infinity War... based on the disparate corners of the MCU these characters inhabit, it could come off as convenient, or forced, or hokey.

Unless they remain earthbound the Guardians will be a problem, but I could see some version of the "Ladies Night Out" trope used to bring the earth based heroes together. After the Infinity War the ladies make plans to meet up in some exotic location on their down time. But their R&R is cut short by a nefarious plot!

Idk, those stories always came off super silly to me in the comics
Maybe better writers could handle it, but something more natural would be nice

I could see, like, Nakia and Wasp showing up in Black Widows movie, since they have that espionage background... maybe they turn to Valkyrie who is now marooned on earth to be their muscle. But yeah no way to get the guardians in there, and even Scarlet Witch might feel outta place (though olsen has been noticeably absent from many of these discussions anyway)

How bout changing the discussion to what youd like the story for the movie to be...?
A group of men? :oldrazz: or maybe just a team of heroes?

If there are plans to go ahead with a female centric style movie, then I'd suggest limiting the team and keeping it isolated in terms of location. The heroines need to have a reason to be working together, which is why I don't think simply throwing the existing girls together would work - short of pleasing feminists.

Tasha teaming up with Wanda over in the East could be an adventure worth exploring (they both have routes there) - maybe they could be accompanied by Janet?

Likewise, Carol (Captain Marvel) going into space and helping Gamora with a personal quest of some description could work. Valkyrie as the muscle? Maybe they'd have a quest on Sakaar in which Valkyrie (knowing the lay of the land) would offer herself as a guide - of sorts?

There's likewise an ample number of other Marvel superheroines they could use, from the likes of Storm, Rogue, Spider-Woman and the Invisible Woman (if they got the rights), through to Black Mamba, Tigra and Kismet, or even Moondragon - but then you'd likely have to involve Drax, and he's a guy, so Tacit Ronin wouldn't like that! :cwink:

Case in point, Ghostbusters. No one whined about "pushing an agenda" when the old films had an all-male team, no one batted an eyelash.

But an all-female team, everyone starts losing their minds. And yes, I agree that the film wasn't very good in the end. BUT, people where already whining even before we knew anything about the movie aside from it having an all-female team.

Also many action movies have had an all-male team, and again no one complains about it. But try it with all-women, and suddenly it's a "SJW agenda" thing.

The assumption here is that Marvel wont do their due diligence. People believe that its impossible for Marvel to find a way to include their female heroes in one movie without sacrificing the story. But Feige has consistantly released films when he believed it was time.

So if Marvel announced and all female cast movie there shouldn't be a reason to worry.

Case in point, Ghostbusters. No one whined about "pushing an agenda" when the old films had an all-male team, no one batted an eyelash.

But an all-female team, everyone starts losing their minds. And yes, I agree that the film wasn't very good in the end. BUT, people where already whining even before we knew anything about the movie aside from it having an all-female team.

Also many action movies have had an all-male team, and again no one complains about it. But try it with all-women, and suddenly it's a "SJW agenda" thing.

They took a treasured classic and made an awful reboot of it they were always going to get a lot of hate.

Seemed like they made damn near every male character ******ed in it as well.

It's a completely different scenario here though; the female Ghost Busters weren't already established characters. I can't speak for everyone, but my only condemnation of the new Ghostbusters film is not because it was a prominently all-female cast, but because it was one of those reboots that we just didn't need. Nothing to do with the male/female dynamic.

I haven't heard anyone complain about the all female Oceans film that's upcoming - despite it being yet another reboot (kinda) film that just doesn't need the attention. Don't people have fresh ideas anymore?

Did you even read what people are saying? No one complained about the original Ghostbusters pushing an agenda because there wasn't any. Again, no one is saying that an all female movie is automaticly a SJW thing. We just dont want it to be forced feminist thing which it might very well be given the political climate. I don't see how this is so hard to understand. I bought every freaking issue of A-force because i liked that ALL FEMALE team. These are interesting 3 dimensional characters, Not patronizing, preachy and walking simple minded ideologies.

Again, no one complains about the pro male politics of an all male team because there usually isn't any. Unless you view an all male team as automaticly pro male and chauvinistic. If that's true then you're the one being sexist.

It's a completely different scenario here though; the female Ghost Busters weren't already established characters. I can't speak for everyone, but my only condemnation of the new Ghostbusters film is not because it was a prominently all-female cast, but because it was one of those reboots that we just didn't need. Nothing to do with the male/female dynamic.

I haven't heard anyone complain about the all female Oceans film that's upcoming - despite it being yet another reboot (kinda) film that just doesn't need the attention. Don't people have fresh ideas anymore?

Really, because I've heard quite a few complaints about the Ocean's movie, of the "forced feminism/SJW" variety. Because that's the knee-jerk reaction to even the idea for a lot of people.

See, now this feels like a legitimate concern. I like the idea of the movie, but it’s difficult for me to conceive of a situation that would specifically bring these very different women together from all over the globe (and galaxy) to fight that a threat that wouldn’t be considered an Avengers-level catastrophe. But perhaps it’ll be easier to imagine post-A4.

Really, because I've heard quite a few complaints about the Ocean's movie, of the "forced feminism/SJW" variety. Because that's the knee-jerk reaction to even the idea for a lot of people.
Well you've heard more than me - but I've not really been following that film, and I can't say that I'm that bothered about watching it. That's not because it's a female-centric film either, it's because it's a film that's seemingly out of place; doesn't need to be made.

It's just another Crystal Skull in my mind.

I'm sure MCU can do much better than the recent Ghostbusters. As for me, I'd really enjoy a team of Black Widow, Valkyrie, Gamora and ladies from Wakanda kicking some villain's ass and then sipping cocktails in a bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"