The 79th Annual Academy Awards

PD: He didn't outshined Nicholson lol
Yeah he did...big time in fact. That scene where Jack is asking him "are you A COP" is so powerful, and DiCaprio is nailing him to the wall.

DiCaprio's films (in a far shorter time period): The Aviator (Howard Hughes), Gangs of New York (Nominated), Whats Eating Gilbert's Grape, Titanic (most winningest film), Catch Me If You Can, Blood Diamond (Nominated), The Departed (Nominated twice in same category at Globes), and the upcoming Rise of Theordore Roosevelt.

LOL, wow, yeah, one picture. Too bad the picture doesn't show the nearly HALF FOOT height difference, or the way that Hughes actually looks like a man and not a grown up boy like DiCaprio, or the deep rugged voice compared to DiCaprio's prepubescent boy voice.

Let's see...looked nothing like him, acted nothing like him, sounded nothing like him....YEAH, WOW. PERFECT!! :whatever:

As usual, you lack the knowledge of what you pretend to know about, Matt.

What is that supposed to mean?

Looks really don't mean anything. Sure Hughes was 6'4 and Leo is what, a little under 6'? I mean, Leo nailed the overall and persona of the man, isn't what counts?

LOL, wow, yeah, one picture. Too bad the picture doesn't show the nearly HALF FOOT height difference, or the way that Hughes actually looks like a man and not a grown up boy like DiCaprio, or the deep rugged voice compared to DiCaprio's prepubescent boy voice.

Because I know I bring a tape measure to the movie theater. Leo looked fine compared to other actors on screen, again...Hughes wasn't a physically dominant man, so your comment on physical presence baffles me :Confused:

As for your other comments, Leo looks like a man, he looks like an attractive 30 year old man...just like....HOWARD HUGHES DID!

As for the voice, that is such a weak point it isn't even funny. Leo adapted his accent to fit that of Hughes, so who is the one who doesn't know what he is talking about? :whatever:

What is that supposed to mean?

Careful, you can try to act like a tough guy towards me all you want, but Hunter is a moderator.

Yeah he did...big time in fact. That scene where Jack is asking him "are you A COP" is so powerful, and DiCaprio is nailing him to the wall.

DiCaprio's films (in a far shorter time period): The Aviator (Howard Hughes), Gangs of New York (Nominated), Whats Eating Gilbert's Grape, Titanic (most winningest film), Catch Me If You Can, Blood Diamond (Nominated), The Departed (Nominated twice in same category at Globes), and the upcoming Rise of Theordore Roosevelt.

He was brilliant in Catch Me If You Can.

Have you people seen Ray?

Well, that's a GREAT interpretation of a real person, Not DiCaprio's Howard Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez
*Did NOT care for Beyonce, her daddy, their presence or her performance. At all.

Hunter Rider: What did they do ?

Yeah...why all the hate on Beyonce??? :huh:

Looks really don't mean anything. Sure Hughes was 6'4 and Leo is what, a little under 6'? I mean, Leo nailed the overall and persona of the man, isn't what counts?

Not to me, he didn't. Leo certainly does not have this imposing, brooding quality that Hughes had, nor the physical presence that made you think Hughes really was a man's man. Leo was ok in the role as far as acting (never said he wasn't a good actor), but he was NOT, absolutely NOT Howard Hughes.

He was brilliant in Catch Me If You Can.

I wasn't calling you an idiot in that post when I was referring to "playing themselves". I'm sorry if I came off as disrespectful. That wasn't my intent. If you must now, I'm going to some personal stuff, so I'm a bit more hotheaded than I usually am. Agan, I apologixe for any disrespect. You know I do really like you in other contexts.

Fair enough,apology accepted

But really, only recently have Al and Jack become what you've described. In their early work, they were far more ubdued and sank into their parts. There's a few reasons they've become what you describe them as:

I'll give you Jack,for the last 15 years or so he has been doing Jack,prior he was more varied but at the same time he is [partly crazy in real lifer and that has always shone through,it's part of his charm IMO
Also when i say he is doing Jack that isn't necessarily a bad thing

1) The public has become so connected with their personas both onscreen and off that it's impossible for them to sink into the roles the way they used to. It happesn with a lot of well known actors.

2) The more modern directors who want Jack and Al in their movies want them for that reason. They want them to be what tehy are ine very single movie they ever made. The film gets more recognition that way.

I agree there is a lot of truth in these 2 points

3) Laziness. Both Jack and Al possess huge egos. They sometimes feel that they can just phone it in at times, which as a fan I'll admit they do. Jack for whatever reason gets away with it, I guess because the part is written for him that way. Al, on the other hand, does it even when it is unneeded, which hurts his credibilty.

I think Jack gets away with it b/c he doesn;t do it as often or in as bad a movies as Al does it in

I still disagree about Jack though. I still think Jack is as solid as he was 30 years ago. The Departed was a bit of a retread to his earlier work, but About Schmidt and Anger Management. The part of why Jack is still going is his persona, while one-dimension, is adaptable to most genres. Al can;'t get out of the over the top melodramaatic mode, which is what is hurting him.

I think that goes to my other point about Jack not doing it so often
for me Pacino has only really stepped out his comfort zone in Insomnia in the last few years
for me Jack best performance in the last few years was the Pledge,he was at his best there despite the movie petering out towards the end

Have you people seen Ray?

Well, that's a GREAT interpretation of a real person.

So lets see, Jamie Foxx has one great performance, Leo has a list as long as my arm. I challenge anyone to find any Gen-X actor with quanity or quality of Leo's performances. He is the BEST actor of his generation.

Actually I meant these ones:

These Brando's movies: A streetcar Named Desire, Viva Zapata!, Julius Caesar, The Teahouse of the August Moon, Last Tango in Paris and obviously the Godfather.

These Al Pacino's movies: Serpico, Scarface, The Merchant of Venice, Dog Day Afternoon, Carlito's Way, Scent of a Woman, The Insider and of course The Godfather.

These Jack's movies: Chinatown, Five Easy Pieces, One flew...., Easy Rider, Res, The Postman always ring twice, The Shining, Prizzi's Honor, A few Good men, As good as it gets, About Schmidt, Hoffa and The Witches of Eastwick.

If you have seen alll these movies you never can't say Leo is at the same level than them.

Leo is only 32 years old now.

By age 32, from the list of movies you mentioned, Nicholson acted in Easy Rider. All the rest you mentioned were in later years.

By age 32, Pacino made The Godfather. Again, the other movies weren't made until after.

Lastly, the only movie that you've mentioned that Brando made before being Leo's current age was A Streetcar Named Desire.

Right now, Leo has The Aviator, Gangs of New York, Catch Me If You Can, and now The Departed under his belt. I'm not saying in any way, shape, or form that DiCaprio is better than all 3 legendary actors already, but he's definitely on the same track as they were when they were his age.

Because I know I bring a tape measure to the movie theater. Leo looked fine compared to other actors on screen, again...Hughes wasn't a physically dominant man, so your comment on physical presence baffles me :Confused:

Uh, to be 6'4" is to be physically dominant. He was that way in real life. He got what he wanted because he was intimidating, and part of that was how he looked like he would never back down. The fact that you're baffled is no real surprise though.

As for your other comments, Leo looks like a man, he looks like an attractive 30 year old man...just like....HOWARD HUGHES DID!

howardtitle.jpg

hughes_head.jpg

Adjust your monitor or get glasses.

As for the voice, that is such a weak point it isn't even funny. Leo adapted his accent to fit that of Hughes, so who is the one who doesn't know what he is talking about? :whatever:

His accent? LOL, I'd say one of Leo's biggest flaws is his accent, and it was overly exaggerated in The Aviator, and dropped on and off again in The Departed. Watch some tapes of Hughes, especially during his trial. Maybe then you'll know what you're talking about.

Careful, you can try to act like a tough guy towards me all you want, but Hunter is a moderator.

Uh, what? HR signed as a reply to my post, and I wanted to know why. I know your feelings are delicate, but this is ridiculous.

Fair enough,apology accepted

Cool. :up::up:

hunter rider said:
I'll give you Jack,for the last 15 years or so he has been doing Jack,prior he was more varied but at the same time he is [partly crazy in real lifer and that has always shone through,it's part of his charm IMO Also when i say he is doing Jack that isn't necessarily a bad thing

Well, yes, Jack is a nut in real life, and it's well known. Even before he won for One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, he was known to be very wild and crazy around Hollywood. For his offscreen persona not shine through on film in some way is a bit impossible. But his persona does work for most of the characters he is given, which isn't always the case for Al.

Truth be told, 40 years from now, it could happen to Leo regardless whether he intends it or not. The public is already all too familliar with him. However, he as han a adavnatge that he is young and is still surprising us witht the growth he's done as an actor

hunter rider said:
I agree there is a lot of truth in these 2 points

Thhank you.

hunter rider said:
I think Jack gets away with it b/c he doesn;t do it as often or in as bad a movies as Al does it in

Agreed. Jack still chooses quality roles for the most part. He may not be as subdued as he used to be, and he's become himself in many ways, but it doesn't affect hsi perfromance so much that it becomes a joke. Pacino, on the other hand, did Gigli. :dry:

hunter rider said:
I think that goes to my other point about Jack not doing it so often
for me Pacino has only really stepped out his comfort zone in Insomnia in the last few years
for me Jack best performance in the last few years was the Pledge,he was at his best there despite the movie petering out towards the end

I haven't seen The Pledge nor Insomnia, subject matters in the film a re a bit bothersome. Will chick them out when I'm not much of a wuss.

But yeah, Pacino needs to branch out a bit. Jack, for all the playing himself he's been doing, is still easy to take seriously in most of his roles. And again, he's adaptable. Jack's persona, while at times scary, is far more laid back and loose so he can do things like comedy, action, horror and drama all with considerable ease.

Pacino as I said can't break out of the melodramatic shell he's been trapped in. It's sad to see someone who once was great degenerate into what he's become.

Will Smith did show a great range of emotion in POH, but like you said probably not oscar worthy.

I will never understand why so many dudes have an issue with DiCaprio. The dude has done as much good stuff as Brando did back in his day, and you wouldn't dare call him a pansy. I think Titanic is the first thing that comes to peoples' minds when they think of him, but he's broken away from that.

Though Whittaker deserved the Oscar, Leonardo DiCaprio is quickly on his way to becoming the best actor of this generation in my opinion. The Departed shook off my "boy" image of him and I can see him capturing the Oscar within the next three years.

Uh, to be 6'4" is to be physically dominant. He was that way in real life. He got what he wanted because he was intimidating, and part of that was how he looked like he would never back down. The fact that you're baffled is no real surprise though.

Hughes' personality is what made him dominating. Not his physicality. Hughes was a tall, lanky man. Not exactly Hercules.

howardtitle.jpg

hughes_head.jpg

Adjust your monitor or get glasses.

hughes1.JPG

dicaprioaviator_wideweb__430x272.jpg

Nooo, no resemblence at all. :whatever:

His accent? LOL, I'd say one of Leo's biggest flaws is his accent, and it was overly exaggerated in The Aviator, and dropped on and off again in The Departed. Watch some tapes of Hughes, especially during his trial. Maybe then you'll know what you're talking about.

Wow, someone turned off his brain during The Departed. The change of accent was intentional and explained in the third scene of the movie Einstein.

Uh, what? HR signed as a reply to my post, and I wanted to know why. I know your feelings are delicate, but this is ridiculous.

You know exactly what you did, you try to have this tough guy facade down on the Superman Forums too. What do they say? Anonymity breeds balls of steel?

leo was at his best in romeo and juliet :o
damn film always makes me cry and its so pretty :O

James Taylor and Randy Newman were great on "Our Town".

I :heart: James Taylor

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"