The All Things Flash Thread. - Part 2

I hope whenever they do Wally West they redo this scene. :o

tumblr_mjwdamzNNR1rxigzao1_400.gif

Green Lantern says 10 years at least (even Batman Begins had to wait eight years, and that was freakin' Batman!)

Supes had a dud and we got a 12 year gap before the next solo flick. If Flash fans only have to wait a decade, they should consider themselves blessed. :oldrazz:

Yyyyeaaaahh I don't think I'll be seeing another Flash solo movie in my lifetime.

I think that's an exaggeration. No matter how big of a flop The Flash was, people know it wasn't because the character isn't popular. Every DC movie is tanking right now and yet they'll still risk making more until the brand becomes successful again or they find a new cow to milk. People said the same about Hellboy and yet we're having another one after five years. It's going to happen eventually, even if it takes some time.

The character just had a show that was successful enough to run for 9 seasons. There’s no way they won’t try again because of one cinematic dud plagued with a ton of BTS drama. Just likely not for several years.

Gunn has to establish new Trinity first and foremost.

The character just had a show that was successful enough to run for 9 seasons. There’s no way they won’t try again because of one cinematic dud plagued with a ton of BTS drama. Just likely not for several years.
I think Wally will happen instead of Barry, though. :hehe:

Successful enough to run on The CW, which I guess is something.

Time to rest the character and then start fresh with the best Flash anyway... Wally West.

Bright-Blank-Hawaiianmonkseal-size-restricted.gif

Successful enough to run on The CW, which I guess is something.

Time to rest the character and then start fresh with the best Flash anyway... Wally West.

Bright-Blank-Hawaiianmonkseal-size-restricted.gif
And once again I have to point out, successful CW shows are not successful due to live viewership numbers - that show ran for 9 seasons because it killed on streaming and in international licensing deals. It was also, along side Game of Thrones, one of the most-pirated shows in the world. It had a huge global audience. WB will not ignore that forever.

And once again I have to point out, successful CW shows are not successful due to live viewership numbers - that show ran for 9 seasons because it killed on streaming and in international licensing deals. It was also, along side Game of Thrones, one of the most-pirated shows in the world. It had a huge global audience. WB will not ignore that forever.

I read stuff like that but still think they'll mess it up.

This movie is still one of the biggest bombs WB ever had, so I can see WB being gun-shy about this character for a while. Green Lantern has not gotten a new movie since his first film flopped back in 2011.

I think this movie would have worked better if:

1. It didn't star an actual criminal.

2. The DCEU had not poisoned the well with a series of bad movies.

3. It didn't adapt Flashpoint. It should have had a smaller, less expensive, lower-stakes film to introduce the character and his world. Have Captain Cold or Grodd as the villain and maybe he saves Central City or something and have him develop a relationship with Iris. Save Zoom and Flashpoint for later, you end with that story, you don't start with that.

This movie is still one of the biggest bombs WB ever had, so I can see WB being gun-shy about this character for a while. Green Lantern has not gotten a new movie since his first film flopped back in 2011.

I think this movie would have worked better if:

1. It didn't star an actual criminal.

2. The DCEU had not poisoned the well with a series of bad movies.

3. It didn't adapt Flashpoint. It should have had a smaller, less expensive, lower-stakes film to introduce the character and his world. Have Captain Cold or Grodd as the villain and maybe he saves Central City or something and have him develop a relationship with Iris. Save Zoom and Flashpoint for later, you end with that story, you don't start with that.

4. If they hadn't already pretty much announced that a new DCU was happening before the film had even released making the entire film pretty much irrelevant. It was like they'd placed the DCEU body in the coffin but the arms (Flash) & legs (Aquaman) were both sticking out preventing lid from being closed.

The same goes for Miller's actions. People giving credit for DC failures to actors being trash in real life are just projecting. General audience has next to zero knowledge of this kind of stuff. The only actual impact this might have had because of that, is the fact that WB didn't allow the person who plays their titular character to promote the film, but even that most probably played a very small part in all that.

I dont think Ezra’s allegations had any impact on the box office, however i DO believe Ezra not being a likable draw as an actor in general had a lot of impact. I dont think people really knew who Ezra Miller was or had any kind of attachment to them.

It just wasn’t a good movie and it was ugly to look at. Also, people tune into cinematic universes in large part for the episodic storytelling. But the show got sorta cancelled when it comes to the DCEU, so what’s the point of watching this episode?

Ezra could’ve been a gahdamn angel and I don’t think it would’ve mattered at all.

Last edited:
Lets be clear though, James Gunn’s DCU announcement literally had no impact on this movie’s reception and box office reception. People outside of our geek sphere dont know or care about that stuff.

I'd disagree with that, even if you don't care about CBM's, it was a hard story to miss if you follow any film/entertainment related social media accounts that the universe was effectively being cancelled/rebooted & some people wouldn't be continuing in their respective roles.

Heck even within the geek sphere the fact that it was ending killed any real interest in seeing it & I wouldn't have had a few friends not asked me to go randomly.

Ultimately, alot of pundits ,and people in fandom ,got the response and the reaction to the film pretty wrong ,if we're talking about predictions before the release.

There's enough egg on everyone's faces at this point.

Alot of people in fandom underestimated how much Gunn's announcement disengaged fellow geeks interest in the film.

And alot of people in fandom underestimated how much of Ezra's behavior and allegations would polarize fellow fans and turn them of the film.

And all of that is putting aside how alot fans believed this film would be critically praised ,and had the expectation the film huge B.O. from the GA.

Ultimately, fanboys were much more engaged, and invested, pro or con, in this film than the GA was.

The hype from the studio and geek pundits played into that of course, but ultimately, things didn't turn out the way alot of fans thought it would , or wanted it to.

We're in a bubble, and that can happen when you're in a bubble.

Even in the bubble, the DC film fanbase is still very polarized , so , the film didn't even have a DC fandom united with good will behind it.

You had fans who wanted it to succeed, fans who were gonna see it regardless, fans who were turned off by Ezra, fans who disengaged because of the Gunn announcement, and fans who've just thrown their hands up all together.

That doesn't account for the box office, but that was the climate in fandom leading up to the release.

Last edited:
Also, people tune into cinematic universes in large part for the episodic storytelling. But the show got sorta cancelled when it comes to the DCEU, so what’s the point of watching this episode?
Honestly, that is another thing the general audience has little knowledge of. It was an overall disdain for an overabundance of mediocre blockbusters that emerged this year and at the same time it was DC having divisive after divisive movie without even a coherent main story that everything would lead to.

I admit, i was fooled into thinking the movie had a lot more hype than it actually did. When that superbowl trailer landed, i thought it had landed with a big impact and it felt like *most* of the fandom were very much behind the movie and hyped for it. Yes, there were certainly people rooting for it to fail because of Ezra and other other factors, but overall the movie felt like it was generating serious hype. And then there was the cinemacon reception with almost everybody from there wildly praising the film. The movie felt like an "event"--to me at least, but I really had no idea how little people outside our sphere cared about the thing.

I think the Flash has taught us that you really cannot trust these early critic reaction/screenings, these things are like concerts where the studio handpicks geek critics who are pre-disposed to liking these things, they give 'em free stuff, free food, get them to meet the cast, director etc. All of those things probably had a significant effect on their reception of the film. I'm willing to bet a fair amount of those same critics rewatched the movie after the fact and dont feel nearly as high on it as they did, but they'll probably never admit that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"