The All Things Flash Thread. - Part 2

How reliable is this source?

he works in the production settings so gets like casting info and dates for productions etc, so he was spot on with the BOP production, Flash production until trade reported it's delayed, and some character breakdowns for Joker or BOP

smh, Fantastic Beast needs to die already or cast someone else as Flash smh

smh, Fantastic Beast needs to die already or cast someone else as Flash smh

ya I don't know why they want to have 4 more when the second one already has a sharp box office drop lol

they are not shooting back to back are they? surely there will be plenty of windows to shoot after this year's production?

ya I don't know why they want to have 4 more when the second one already has a sharp box office drop lol

they are not shooting back to back are they? surely there will be plenty of windows to shoot after this year's production?

Hopefully, it's not like Harry Potter fans care that much about FB, they just need to let it go
If they want magical stuff do Zatanna

The GWW rumor today was that The Flash was the most anticipated solo movie from Justice League test screenings, above Cyborg Bats and Supes. That's a testament to Ezra Miller in the role. This movie is ready to strike some lightning. Don't recast, delay FB30689 instead.

I'm curious what the census was between a solo Flash film, or a solo Aquaman feature, following the JL test screenings. Obviously the Aquaman film has nailed every expectation (and more), so it'll be interesting to see what they do with a Flash solo if they can get it off the ground.

That said, I really do think they want to get the Lantern Corps moving. There's a solid trilogy in that, because of the various characters they can utilize. Any other solo JL-character film is (somewhat) limited by comparison, and if we ever do get a sequel to JL, we're going to need a Lantern after the non appearance the first time around.

So FB delayed for 2-3 months, Flash pushed back more

Directors still doing the script so won’t be able to go into production early.

Then Ezra has dahli land spring next year

Mark Hughes said he heard one of the director or actor won’t be involved if it moves forward, and mentioned Rmeckis as he is free now.

I'm down for them to cast someone else as The Flash.

Sorry, Ezra. Whedon did you dirty.

Im done with The Flash being pushed for FB, even when i like Ezra im tired of waiting just because of him and that ****ty film smh

Honestly just recast Ezra Miller. He's the reason it keeps getting delayed indefinitely. Keeping him basically means we won't get Flash until late 2022/early 2023, whereas recasting him would open up the possibility for a late 2020/early 2021 release

Honestly just recast Ezra Miller. He's the reason it keeps getting delayed indefinitely. Keeping him basically means we won't get Flash until late 2022/early 2023, whereas recasting him would open up the possibility for a late 2020/early 2021 release
Although I enjoyed Miller's performance as a performance, it wasn't really Barry Allen to me. I'd have no problem seeing the character recast.

we should start a change.org petition for Flash and to get a new guy for it :o

This project has already had a revolving door of directors, let's not do the same with the lead.

This project has already had a revolving door of directors, let's not do the same with the lead.

Why? It's clear the project is being held up because of the leads commitment to other films. Going by those tweets people with insiders have sent out, either Ezra is going to end up being replaced or the directors are going to depart. I'd rather the former happen because if the latter happens, again, then we'll have to start this whole development process again.

Sorry, that was meant to be a joke more than a statement, I could have had made that clearer.

I like Ezra but I don't think he's essential. Though I'm not excited by the current directors, I wouldn't be disappointed if they left.

Sorry, that was meant to be a joke more than a statement, I could have had made that clearer.

I like Ezra but I don't think he's essential. Though I'm not excited by the current directors, I wouldn't be disappointed if they left.

im already lost with the project, who are the directors rn

Officially announced theatrical releases as of now:
2019: Shazam, Joker
2020: BoP, WW2
2021: The Batman (June 25), SS Reboot (Aug. 6)

Non-live action theatrical offerings not direct-to-video (feel free add to if want):
2021: DC Superpets (May 21)
2022: Batman Beyond???

Overall, Flashpoint could re-boot the whole Justice League. I think maybe with things being delayed so much this could be it.

Mid-January announcement of new Flash directors seems to support this. I've bolded parts of the Forbes entertainment article discussing this below. It's best article I've read so far summing up the situation of the DC universe.

]'Flashpoint': Another Soft DC Films Reboot Or 'Justice League 2'? by Scott Mendelsohn
'Flashpoint': Another Soft DC Films Reboot Or 'Justice League 2'?
Fresh off the presses, The Hollywood Reporter is announcing (as seen here: 'Flash' Movie to Be Directed by 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Screenwriters) that John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein will be directing Flashpoint (starring Ezra Miller as The Flash) for Warner Bros. The move comes less than a week after WB scheduled David F. Sanders’ Shazam for April of 2019 and less than a month after anointing Walter Hamada (who helped turn The Conjuring into a horror franchise powerhouse over at New Line) as the proverbial new head of DC Films and promoting Toby Emmerich to Chairman of Warner Bros. Motion Pictures Group. The would-be Flash solo film has shuffled through directors over the last few years, but this time WB went with a writer/director team with experience working with Warner Bros.

Say what you will about the films they’ve written (the star-driven Horrible Bosses, Sony's Spider-Man: Homecoming) or written-and-directed (New Line's 2015 Vacation remake and the upcoming Game Night), and rightfully wish that the studio had been a bit more outside-the-box (i.e., a woman or minority filmmaker) in their choice, but Daley and Goldstein have a certain amount of in-studio experience. Flashpoint will be their third studio feature, which (arguably) puts them on equal experience footing with Tim Burton before Batman and Ryan Coogler before Black Panther. Exciting it is not, but this isn’t Joseph Kosinski getting $170 million as a first-time director for Tron: Legacy. I can only hope this means that Game Night may be as funny as its trailer.

The choice to do a Flashpoint movie has fascinated me since the announcement back at the 2017 SDCC presentation. As those in the know already know, Flashpoint was a comic arc that involved Barry Allen going back in time to prevent his mother’s murder. This successful attempt that itself create a somewhat dystopian alternate timeline where (among other things) the Amazonians were at war with the Atlantians and Batman was Thomas Wayne instead of a now-dead Bruce Wayne. The resolution of said arc led to a new DC Comics continuity known as the New 52. We got a rock-solid adaptation of this story in the DCAU feature Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox back in July of 2013.

We got a loose variation on this storyline on CW’s The Flash. At the end of season two, Barry raced back in time and successfully saved his mother from being murdered by Reverse Flash. This had negative consequences, which caused Barry to try a few more times before finally having to settle for a timeline where his parents were still dead and his relationships were affected for the worse. It was a character-defining screw-up and it took a whole season to work out. The big lesson in the early goings of season three was that at some point Barry was going to have to accept the timeline as is and do the best to live with his mistakes.

Without presuming that Flashpoint will be an exact adaptation of the comic arc (no more than Captain America: Civil War was a blow-by-blow adaptation of that Mark Millar 2006 comic book story), the story offers two interesting opportunities. First, if they so choose, the powers that be can make Flashpoint into not just a Flash movie but a glorified Justice League 2 with appearances by any superhero (Wonder Woman, Superman, Aquaman, etc.) they want. Again, while Civil War was Captain America 3 it was also a huge MCU mythology episode that doubled as an Avengers drama. And the time travel story also presents another opportunity for another soft reboot for the troubled DC Films franchise.

You can argue that DC Films has itself been a series of soft reboots. Man of Steel’s mixed reaction led to Batman v Superman. Dawn of Justice’s poor reaction led to an overly campy (and heavily re-edited) Suicide Squad. The reaction to both led to a Justice League movie that was half Zack Snyder mythology and half Joss Whedon character comedy, with neither party coming off terribly well. By the end, we had gone from a Man of Steel that was “disappointing” because it earned mixed-negative reviews and earned $668 million worldwide in June of 2013 to a Justice League that earned lousy reviews and made just $655m worldwide in Nov. of 2017.

That makes sense considering the history of the Batman franchise (Batman Returns begets Batman Forever while Batman & Robin begets Batman Begins), and really only Justice League is the one that arguably lost money (I’m sure Batman can borrow a few bucks from Pennywise) thanks to copious reshoots that sent the budget past the point of no return. But, fair or not, we’re still in a situation where (save for Wonder Woman) DC Films is in a position of being promising that future films will be better. Sure, Flashpoint can retcon certain plot points or offer up a replacement non-Ben Affleck Batman, but you can’t build a long-term brand on constant do-overs and proverbial IOUs.

Like Barry Allen in the third season of The Flash, at some point, Warner Bros. and related friends may have to make peace with the chaos they’ve created and work their way through the best they can with what they’ve made. Wonder Woman is on sturdy footing and I believe in James Wan’s ability to make a solid Aquaman movie. All hope is not lost. Constant do-overs inspire no confidence in the long-term picture and risk alienating those who were fans since the beginning. At some point, you can do what you can to make lemonade out of lemons, which in itself would be far more artistically interesting than merely doing glorified do-overs every time a new movie comes out.

After all, The Flash's fourth season is (thus far) their best stuff since the very first year, maybe even better since there's no "Nobody tell Iris I'm the Flash!" nonsense. Maybe WB and friends already agree with me and Flashpoint won’t be a glorified do-over. Maybe its glorified Super Friends reunion will give us the fun Justice League characters in a better Justice League movie that explicitly deals with this whole reactionary mindset. Maybe, just maybe, I’ve just explained Flashpoint’s subtextual themes in this think piece that was actually written from the future!

Now that Aquaman is done and released the corner can be turned...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"