The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - Part 76

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry But I am not on the Hate Bandwagon. I really loved this movie course I liked the 1st one as well so that's not really a surprise to me.

TASM 2> Spiderman 3.

Swinging for the fences, eh?

It would require you to say something that makes me choke on my drink.

:oldrazz:

Okay. Shall i begin?

crack-1.jpg

Miles I better keep a spot on that sig for a while lol :p

It's really surreal to see comments like the movie is the biggest turd ever & then others thinking the exact opposite. And I mean, what I don't like about many of the negative reactions is that it's pretty succinct, like "it's terrible" and not much else, not even trying to find the positive things in the movie.

At least, try to explain or justify yourself.

It's no different from all the people who say that it's "Awesome" or "The best Spidey movie EVAR!!!111", "It was so EPIC", or my personal (least) favorite "OMG it's exactly like the comics with blue Electro, MR. Kafka, [BLACKOUT]terminally ill Norman, Richard Parker super-spiders [/BLACKOUT]and Oscorp Gwen!"

I think you're just overscrutinizing the negativity. I myself would love it if people would explain to me how in the actual hell either of these movies are more faithful than any other comic adaptation, but it never seems to happen, outside of "OMG web shooters!"

Seems to just be a platitude that a lot of folks are content to regurgitate without giving it a second thought.

i agree with the second part

Shame. I really like those guys. I think that a lot of people would hate whatever they did because their name is associated with projects that aren't critically acclaimed by fans and audiences alike. I have a feeling that if others had wrote the exact same script, fans would be less harsh. The cast did praise the script quite a bit, so if we are to say that they were all being honest, then we can't rule out that Sony intervened in some way and did.... whatever Sony usually does.

Okay, so I'm a member over at Blu-ray.com and this user posted this. It's absolutely brilliant.

I love the Raimi trilogy. I love the Webb films. And, despite both series featuring Spider-Man, it's hard to compare the two.

The Raimi series is very much inspired by the Lee / Ditko / Romita comics. The spirit of those comics are infused in those films. That's partly why Venom doesn't work in Spider-Man 3. Those movies are very much influenced by the 60s and 70s era comics -- and I love them for it.

They're good-willed, warm, charming. They have their cheesy moments, sure. But I often get this goofy smile on my face while revisiting them, especially Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2.

The Webb series is more "modern" and that's partly why it's hard to compare series. It's like comparing Batman / Batman Returns / Batman Forever to the Nolan Batman films. They're so wildly different that it's hard to fairly compare them.

Spider-Man 2002 came out at a time where the superhero movie game was still in its crawling stages. The Amazing Spider-Man came out in a post Dark Knight, post Iron Man world -- and those two films changed the game forever. Ever since 2008, comic book films are taken more seriously than ever before, both by audiences and the studios. I don't think Spider-Man 4 -- which would have been released in 2011 -- would "fit in" after 2008. People consider Raimi's films "outdated," too kind-hearted, too soft, too childish, too corny, too... "old school."

They're kind of like Superman: The Movie. Charming, old school, a great movie... but a more updated, modern interpretation was needed, much in the way that Superman Returns was fine for 2006 -- but it wouldn't fit in after 2008. Man of Steel does fit in, though, because it's more serious, more violent, bigger, epic, darker -- what have you. That's where we're at right now, mostly. Man of Steel fits in in a post-Dark Knight world where the Donner films no longer have a place.

The same is true for The Amazing Spider-Man series. Despite having the title "The Amazing Spider-Man," it's more "Ultimate Spider-Man." Which is fine; it blends Ultimate with 616. People complained that The Amazing Spider-Man was "more of the same," or an unnecessary reboot, or a "remake" of Spider-Man... but they're so different.

I love all five Spidey films; yes, even Spider-Man 3. I didn't at first; I was let down. But once The Amazing Spider-Man came out, I loved it, I went back and revisited Spider-Man 3 and despite some obvious flaws, it's still a good movie. With some editing, there wouldn't be so many problems. It gets enough right where it doesn't deserve its "one of the worst ever" reputation it has.

They're just too different to compare - both in style and tone. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 took a direct storyline from the comics; a storyline from 1973 that defined Spider-Man for decades afterwards. But it was also infused with Ultimate; blue Electro, robot Rhino, etc. It took a classic silver age storyline and put it in a "modern" movie. For those unaware of what I mean, I'm talking about the
"The Night Gwen Stacy Died"
mini-arc. Would that arc have worked in the Raimi movies, despite their more "retro" feel and influence? Maybe, maybe not. Might have been too dark -- but it's right at home in the Webb series.

I don't agree the Raimi movies were "childish" -- just, like the Donner Superman, good-hearted, earnest, sweet. The Amazing Spider-Man series has more of an edge, but let's face it, like it or not -- it kind of has to have that these days. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 also has moments rooted from the classic comics - like the pure romanticism of it all. Spider-Man has always focused on the romance. It was a soap opera with superheroes. Even John Romita came off of romance comics and overhauled the book, taking the Ditko characters and making everyone look more romantic, more beautiful, more handsome. And the romance was always a major part of those books. Look at Gwen and Peter in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and tell me that you don't "feel" the romance from those Lee / Romita comics.

It blends the old with the new and, for this lifelong Spidey fan, it works.

I still think Spider-Man 2 (2004) is among the best comic book films, ever. It took Spider-Man and explored Peter Parker and showed the weight of his responsibility and it is pure, classic Spidey. It's like you're watching a Lee / Romita comic. But I love both series. The Amazing Spider-Man series is awesome. Raimi's series is awesome. Spider-Man 3 tried to do too much, but studio influence lead to Venom being shoehorned in and he didn't fit. Raimi got the character. Webb gets the character. Andrew portrays Spider-Man brilliantly - he's pretty perfect as Peter, in my eyes. Yes, he's more of a slacker/cooler/hipster Spidey that's not exactly from the comics, but it works for me. Different interpretations, and all. It's true enough to the character where I don't go, "that's not Spider-Man," even though it's different. Emma Stone as Gwen is perfect casting, right up there with Heath Ledger as the Joker.

Both series have a welcome place with me, especially on my movie shelves.

It's no different from all the people who say that it's "Awesome" or "The best Spidey movie EVAR!!!111", "It was so EPIC", or my personal (least) favorite "OMG it's exactly like the comics with blue Electro, MR. Kafka, [BLACKOUT]terminally ill Norman, Richard Parker super-spiders [/BLACKOUT]and Oscorp Gwen!"

I think you're just overscrutinizing the negativity. I myself would love it if people would explain to me how in the actual hell either of these movies are more faithful than any other comic adaptation, but it never seems to happen, outside of "OMG web shooters!"

Seems to just be a platitude that a lot of folks are content to regurgitate without giving it a second thought.

My reasoning is...

wait, my rating isn't due to reasoning because I'm weird! XD

I think it's the best for many reasons.

Just wanted to comment on the underlined part (the part I underlined and bolded, not the Kafka part), but he is blue in the Ultimate Universe, unless I'm mistaken.

Ultimate_Spider_Man_Vol_1_159_Maxwell_Dillon_(Earth-1610).jpg

My Review/Ramblings:

The actors do a fine job with lame material, particularly Emma Stone who just owns the screen everytime she is on it. Andrew Garfield is less obnoxious this time but I still wouldn't say that I like this version of Peter Parker very much. Jamie Foxx is a talented actor but his performance doesn't work and Electro/Max Dillon is a terrible 1D character. His origin is just as bad as Mr. Freeze's. When will people stop falling into vats of stuff that gives them Superpowers? I'm sick of that origin story. Dane Dehann is disappointing as Harry Osborn, although that's admittedly part way the script's fault. The plot is virtually non existent. Peter and Harry's friendship doesn't ring as true as it should because they just suddenly introduce Harry and tell us that he and Peter are best friends. The film just plods along from one scene to the next, it had no real flow at all. I wish Spider-Man would just shut up sometimes and save people and fight evil. The mystery about Peter's parents is a snoozefest, I don't care about that plot point. Garfield and Stone have chemistry and their scenes are well done, the "my boy" scene with Aunt May is amazing, the swinging is great and the visual effects mostly look very good but those things can't save the film. The movie is about a half hour too long because it's dull and plotless.

No I didn't hate it and no I didn't want to dislike it. I gave it a fair shot and it just didn't work for me.

I don't have a score right now but I haven't decided what I'm going to give it. It's not going to be a good score of course.

My Review/Ramblings:

The actors do a fine job with lame material, particularly Emma Stone who just owns the screen everytime she is on it. Andrew Garfield is less obnoxious this time but I still wouldn't say that I like this version of Peter Parker very much. Jamie Foxx is a talented actor but his performance doesn't work and Electro/Max Dillon is a terrible 1D character. His origin is just as bad as Mr. Freeze's. When will people stop falling into vats of stuff that gives them Superpowers? I'm sick of that origin story. Dane Dehann is disappointing as Harry Osborn, although that's admittedly part way the script's fault. The plot is virtually non existent. Peter and Harry's friendship doesn't ring as true as it should because they just suddenly introduce Harry and tell us that he and Peter are best friends. The film just plods along from one scene to the next, it had no real flow at all. I wish Spider-Man would just shut up sometimes and save people and fight evil. The mystery about Peter's parents is a snoozefest, I don't care about that plot point. Garfield and Stone have chemistry and their scenes are well done, the "my boy" scene with Aunt May is amazing, the swinging is great and the visual effects mostly look very good but those things can't save the film. The movie is about a half hour too long because it's dull and plotless.

No I didn't hate it and no I didn't want to dislike it. I gave it a fair shot and it just didn't work for me.

I don't have a score right now but I haven't decided what I'm going to give it. It's not going to be a good score of course.

Now we talking Freeze's origin from Batman & Robin because even if it's that, you about to cross some lines. Freeze's origin was kind of like BTAS. He fell into chemicals I believe. Difference is in BTAS, Boyle kicked him into chemicals and in B&R there was an explosion. Still got the idea how he was created but would have been better if Boyle kicked him.

blue Electro

Ultimate Spider-Man.

MR. Kafka

True, but he's such a minor supporting character.

[BLACKOUT]terminally ill Norman, Oscorp Gwen

Changing certain background information is fine. Character is what matters.

Also, Oscorp Gwen was inspiration from The Spectacular Spider-Man.

Richard Parker super-spiders

Why not? Makes sense. :oldrazz:

How are they more faithful, you ask? For me, character and tone is what counts. In that regard, this film is much more like Spider-Man than the previous ones. But see, that's irrelevant. Why must every negative post go back to the Raimi films? Frankly, I really don't care about that at this point. I just want to discuss this particular film with people, and that goes for both sides.

Also, explained/justified negative responses are much better at sparking debates/discussions than the positive ones are. They're often more focused on a specific part of the movie. That's why I asked people to explain their problems with the film. It's not that I don't have to explain what I love about the film, it's that you explaining gets the ball rolling faster. Case in point, this post in particular (the one I'm replying to) getting like 5 responses already.

Just wanted to comment on the underlined part (the part I underlined and bolded, not the Kafka part), but he is blue in the Ultimate Universe, unless I'm mistaken.

Ultimate_Spider_Man_Vol_1_159_Maxwell_Dillon_(Earth-1610).jpg

So is it more faithful to the 616 universe or the ultimate comics? I don't think you can have it both ways; that isn't a fair grounds for comparison to other movies that adapt from one source, which is exactly my point.

I think fans of this franchise need to decide whether this movie is more faithful to the conventional Marvel U or otherwise, because it's getting pretty silly to have a debate with someone, plead your case logically, only for them to star cherry picking details from several different elseworlds for the sake of saying "See, I told you it's just like the comics".

That doesn't do it for me.

My Review/Ramblings:

Jamie Foxx is a talented actor but his performance doesn't work and Electro/Max Dillon is a terrible 1D character. His origin is just as bad as Mr. Freeze's. When will people stop falling into vats of stuff that gives them Superpowers? I'm sick of that origin story.

In this version though, I think it makes sense. Oscorp is all about illegal genetic cross-species experiments. Electric eels are the way to go. Plus, it isn't the first they used the eel vat origin for Electro.

Dane Dehann is disappointing as Harry Osborn, although that's admittedly part way the script's fault. The plot is virtually non existent. Peter and Harry's friendship doesn't ring as true as it should because they just suddenly introduce Harry and tell us that he and Peter are best friends.

I bought it due to Dehaan and Garfield's chemistry. Especially seeing how Peter reacted the second he saw Harry on TV.

The film just plods along from one scene to the next, it had no real flow at all.

Are you referring to the plot being overcrowded?

If you are...well, yes and no. That's kinda true, but I think it works really well because it's all from Peter Parker's point of view. That's a classic Peter Parker/young adult thing, of having so much happen to you that you gotta take care of all at the same time while juggling between them all. We've all had that crazy week with 5 projects due, a final exam, our uncle's wedding, dealing with relationships, and having a job interview. I felt like I was watching Peter's daily life, and by extension my own daily life, and thought it worked out really well.

More importantly, I felt as if everything was constantly on Peter's mind. Both Gwen and Harry coming back, for instance.

I wish Spider-Man would just shut up sometimes and save people and fight evil.

But that's a huge part of Spider-Man's character. Spidey never shuts up. He is the original merc with the mouth. He is all about the quips and wisecracks, regardless of how bad the situation is.

The rest are all taste issues, so I can't comment on those.

@Arrowhead: that's probably the best thing I've read on the subject, brilliant, this guy gets it.

I always loved Ultimate better than the early Amazing Spider-Man, more modern, more relatable for me, loved Bagley's art. TASM has always had that Ultimate feel and that's what I love most about it, I still love Spidey 1 & 2 but not on the same level.

So is it more faithful to the 616 universe or the ultimate comics? I don't think you can have it both ways; that isn't a fair grounds for comparison to other movies that adapt from one source, which is exactly my point.

I think fans of this franchise need to decide whether this movie is more faithful to the conventional Marvel U or otherwise, because it's getting pretty silly to have a debate with someone, plead your case logically, only for them to star cherry picking details from several different elseworlds for the sake of saying "See, I told you it's just like the comics".

That doesn't do it for me.

It's faithful to both 616 and Ultimate, though it's much closer to 616. But furthermore, why are you acting as if this is some sort of foreign concept? It isn't. The MCU actually does this all the time - combine 616 with Ultimate. The FF reboot is also doing it. Even X-Men does it to an extent. This is now the status quo for all Marvel movies. And it would be foolish to strictly adhere to only a single version as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"