The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man: Box Office Thread - Part 3

And you have to be an idiot to not realize that people STILL commented TAS-M even on other parts of the forums. The traffic means little because TAS-M or any Spidey board is full of complaining here and there with Webb's reboot and Raimi's trilogy. No one wants to get involved with that childish mess.
And people didnt comment about TA and TDKR in here?
On the contrary,much more than TASM was talked about in other forums
So that factors evens out
Its was crystal clear-the difference in Hype

People talk about how TAS-M is going to be as great as TA and TDKR....and then all of a sudden, they back off and say it was never going to happen.
You are free to quote any box office estimate by a credible site which though TASM would earn as much as TDKR and TASM
Most of them had TDKR in first position and TA and TDKR behind
Which is why I said TDKR and TASM got what was estimated while TA outdid itself

I look for the same in 2014 with TAS-M 2 and when it doesn't perform as well...they'll take a few steps back and try to make mention that they knew what was going to happen all along :funny:
Yeah because they is gonna be TA2 and another Batman movie during that time to divide the hype?
Seriously do you have any idea about what we are actually talking about?
TASM2 will individually rule the CBM hype during that time,maybe CapAm2 will be there but it will nowhere be as hard to compete with compared to TA + TDKR

Now, yes. Because the movie was only mediocre at best.
I was talking pre-release

Keep telling you facts? I've been doing that ever since you stuck your nose into replying me when I said the RT score would be going down with TAS-M :awesome:
You are yet to show where the argument was about Hype or critical reception before the post I quoted

How? I tell you what was really going on between the discussion between myself and Messiah and you still try to believe you're right.
Which began after the post I quoted

How could you say the same for me? Do I try to intervene any discussions between you and a fellow poster and exclaim that I am right?
Sure,As soon as someone praises the money,you and that other guy get your undies in a twist

I never said it was a total revamp of the script, but only that it COULD and it could lead to certain plots being thrown to the wayside. But, it doesn't really matter now because with Webb still on board, he would make sure to continue those plotlines.
Lets see.
I dont think even the filming has began yet

They're idiots :up:
A very small percentage of audience are comic book fans like us and care about the characters and their development
Most of them go there to see the action.
Thus the comparison between TA and Transformers is legitimate

Aren't we only talking about CBM fans here and not the GA in regards to the three CBMs?
It doesnt matter,The GA brings in the numbers and money earned is due to them

But, yes, for the GA, it was only a two horse race. The general audience probably don't even have a clear winner at all between the two.
Thanks you,Thats my point

If you want to say that to make yourself feel better, go right ahead with your own idiotic analogy bud :up:
Im just using ur logic
TDKR destroyed TASM and TA destroyed TDKR even more
As simple as that

Needless to say, TDKR didn't have 3D and had a horrible tragedy beforehand.
Because its budget was bloated already with all the Star Cast
Even after filming in 3D TA's budget was less than TDKR
So we can call it WB's stupidity to not invest in 3D,financial blunder
Hardly an excuse.Although it wasnt an action oriented film so people wouldnt have wasted money to watch it in 3D

TDKR was said to be $250-$300 million, but with tax credits it was only $230 million. TA was $220 million. Only a $10 million difference between the two.
Still more

But not critically. To someone who cares only about the money, then sure, but...you're silly if you ONLY care about how much a film makes rather than the positive or negative reactions.
Ofcourse I care about the critical aspect aswell
Now the sequel needs to really good if it needs to earn anywhere near 800-850M and reverse the Domestic fall
Had they worked on the flaws and had it got a better critical reception(Say 80-85% on RT) then things would have been easier for TASM2

In my opinion both TASM and TDKR slightly underperformed.
Yeah
800M for TASM and 1.2B for TDKR would have been good
But 760M is alright for me aswell.Though the Domestic numbers are dissapointing

No matter what people say now, given its opening both in north america and overseas (where it managed to beat opening records in some places), given the overall popularity of the character (especially overseas), TASM should have been a 800M + movie. Now it's falling short of that milestone by a little less than 50 million dollars wich is not a big deal but clearly 800 million were within the realms of possibility. Competition with TDKR probably only played a marginal role (at least in north america, China is another matter for instance) but it seems that the movie suffered from an overall middling word of mouth wich didn't help its legs. Maybe it has to do with the movie itself, the retelling of the origin story might have been an issue for some viewers but the fact that Webb is now back on board for the sequel probably means that Sony have reliable indicators highlighting that the GA liked the direction taken by these new series.
:up:
Though I believe TDKR and TA did steal its hype to a great extent,which is why I am optimistic about TASM2's chances

TDKR in the other hand could've been a 1,1 billion dollars movie, it's gonna fall short of that mark by less than 20 million dollars (maybe less than 10 in the very end) wich is realistically under what it lost because of the shooting during its first domestic week end only. Anyways, worldwide, the movie broke all records set by 2D movies except for Titanic and the third installement of the LOTR franchise wich is an impressive achievement by any measure. So really no reasons to be dissapointed, at all.
I think 1.1B would have been near TDK after accounting for Infaltion,probably lesser
I would realistically expect a third movie to do better than the second when the second was so good.So it should have atleast earned 1.2B
SM3 was **** on a stick compared to SM2 and yet it earned a considerable amount more
Even IM2 was nothing compared to IM1 and yet it earned more

As for The Avengers, yes I think we can pretty much say that it outdid itself though I do agree with Lorus on this, I honestly thought, early this year, that the movie would be a hit but a 800 million hit, certainly not a 1.5 billion hit, and I never expected any competition between Marvel's B-list characters reunion and the juggernauts Spider-Man and Batman are. Looks like the movie clicked with audiences. ;)
I was of the belief that it would be a case of too-many-cooks and the movie will be disastor
I was proved wrong

Domestically TDKR's competition was less than marginal actually. Do I have to remind you that TASM had 2 full week ends and 17 days to perform before TDKR's release ? TASM made 83% of its final income before TDKR's release (wich you can compare to TDKR's 79% during the same 17 days time frame).
That is all correct but the hype matters(Before they are released)
When talking about CB ,the 2 must see people would have on their list would be TA and TDKR without doubt
It was really too much to ask for GA to watch 3 superhero movies in less than 3 months.
It was a terrible time to release the movie,Blunder by sony

And the movie didnt make use of the 17 days period because it wasnt in the excellent category either
So not being very good also played its part

And people didnt comment about TA and TDKR in here?
On the contrary,much more than TASM was talked about in other forums
So that factors evens out
Its was crystal clear-the difference in Hype

Should you even be trying to make a point when you only showed up here in May? All three films were talked everywhere on the forums way more than any other CBM this year such as Ghost Rider 2 or Dredd.

It's crystal clear that all three CBMs had great hype...it's only when the films were released that TA and TDKR were given more attention and money.

You are free to quote any box office estimate by a credible site which though TASM would earn as much as TDKR and TASM
Most of them had TDKR in first position and TA and TDKR behind
Which is why I said TDKR and TASM got what was estimated while TA outdid itself

We are talking about the hype and anticipation here man. All three films were even AT FIRST. Even if the money predictions were going to be different from the beginning, each film had enough hype to think one film wasn't going to be better than the other despise the box office numbers.

And no, TDKR outdid itself when it was expected to do even less at first because of the shooting.

Yeah because they is gonna be TA2 and another Batman movie during that time to divide the hype?
Seriously do you have any idea about what we are actually talking about?
TASM2 will individually rule the CBM hype during that time,maybe CapAm2 will be there but it will nowhere be as hard to compete with compared to TA + TDKR

Doesn't matter which film is released in 2014. If TAS-M 2 doesn't perform well enough, fans will immediately say they knew it all along such as this film that got held back because of an animated film and not by other CBMs.

I was talking pre-release

You couldn't tell before. Just because you keep saying you weren't thinking TAS-M would be a favorite, it doesn't count with everyone else that I've read that kept saying TAS-M would be so amazing before the actual release.

You are yet to show where the argument was about Hype or critical reception before the post I quoted

Why do I need to show when I was a part of the damn discussion and you weren't?

Which began after the post I quoted

It began at the same post you quoted.

Sure,As soon as someone praises the money,you and that other guy get your undies in a twist

By saying it underperformed when it had the same budget as TDKR(counting the tax credits)? Oh, how our undies are in a twist indeed! It's Spider-Man and TAS-M underperformed.

Lets see.
I dont think even the filming has began yet

It begins in January or February.

A very small percentage of audience are comic book fans like us and care about the characters and their development
Most of them go there to see the action.
Thus the comparison between TA and Transformers is legitimate

A LARGE percentage walks into a theatre caring about any story or development. They're just not ignorant fools that sit down to watch action.

It doesnt matter,The GA brings in the numbers and money earned is due to them

So the general audience didn't care about a mediocre film....that's cool.

Im just using ur logic
TDKR destroyed TASM and TA destroyed TDKR even more
As simple as that

The Avengers destroyed a film that didn't rely on 3D and had a tragedy happen on the midnight showing. Oh yes, TA destroyed TDKR indeed.

Because its budget was bloated already with all the Star Cast
Even after filming in 3D TA's budget was less than TDKR
So we can call it WB's stupidity to not invest in 3D,financial blunder
Hardly an excuse.Although it wasnt an action oriented film so people wouldnt have wasted money to watch it in 3D

Not investing in a gimmick is stupid? I wouldn't say that.

Still more

Then if we're talking about money...TAS-M greatly underperformed having as much money than TDKR when counting tax credits.

Ofcourse I care about the critical aspect aswell
Now the sequel needs to really good if it needs to earn anywhere near 800-850M and reverse the Domestic fall
Had they worked on the flaws and had it got a better critical reception(Say 80-85% on RT) then things would have been easier for TASM2

It needs to be really good indeed :up:

underperformed??? REALLY?

Let's be honest here, ASM was a much harder sell than than Avengers and TDKR. Avengers is unprecedented (bringing seperate franchises together) TDKR is the conclusion to an acclaimed trilogy. Why not compare ASM to the Batman reboot Batman Begins, or the individual movies of the Avengers heroes?

Aloha,
Because they would lose the argument.
As of Sept 29, 2012
The Amazing Spider-Man
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $261,471,268 34.8%
+ Foreign: $490,185,894 65.2%
= Worldwide: $751,657,162 Seems to be still making some $

Spidey RULES the REBOOTS

Aloha,
How the Marvel movies stack up to ASM Domestic Take.
1 Marvel's The Avengers $623,009,272
2 Spider-Man $403,706,375
3 Spider-Man 2 $373,585,825
4 Spider-Man 3 $336,530,303
5 Iron Man $318,412,101
6 Iron Man 2 $312,433,331
7 The Amazing Spider-Man $261,471,268

So even in the world of Marvel movies with the exception of Spidey himself,Iron Man and of course the Avengers, ASM outperformed ALL OTHER MARVEL MOVIES EVER MADE-domestically:yay: according to Box office Mojo.
So I'll be saying Aloha to this thread as it is rather pointless for me to continue. Please all you movie buffs, stop by the Spider-Man comic book thread and check out the original world of the Wall crawler. Looking forward to the next Spidey movie and giving it all my energy to regain it's record for leading the box office super hero movies.
Spidey rules:spidey:

:up:
Though I believe TDKR and TA did steal its hype to a great extent,which is why I am optimistic about TASM2's chances

TASM2 biggest challenge is to prove that Spider-Man is still the best selling solo-character now that Nolan's Batman is done and that IM3 may be a 800M + movie. 2014 is full of other cbms (Captain America 2, GoG, X-Men Days of Future Past, possibly Ant-Man) that may not be direct competition but I don't think that the market saturation resulting from so many release will necessarely put the film in the best situation imaginable.
Meaning that Sony's first priority is to release a film that'll be able to stand out among the crowd. They can't afford to release another average movie that won't get to the 300M mark domestically.

I think 1.1B would have been near TDK after accounting for Infaltion,probably lesser
I would realistically expect a third movie to do better than the second when the second was so good.So it should have atleast earned 1.2B
SM3 was **** on a stick compared to SM2 and yet it earned a considerable amount more
Even IM2 was nothing compared to IM1 and yet it earned more

It's a bit more complicated than that given that most foreign currencies (like the Pound Sterling or the Euro) are now much weaker against the US dollar than they were back in 2008. I'll take France as an example because I know the market and because we do track ticket sales. TDKR roughly sold 1.3 million more tickets than TDK as of september 25. In terms of gross TDKR grossed 8.2M more than TDK, but at the 2008 change rate it would have grossed 12.5M more. That's a 4.3M loss on this market only. And the same reasonning can be made for any other country in the euro-zone. The average ticket price was actually much higher in 2008 given the fluctuations of the change rates. Accounting for inflation actually plays the other way around in this case.

So I think its pretty safe to say that overall TDKR sold more tickets than TDK already.

As for the predictions, given how many people never expected another Batman movie to gross over a billion dollar, given how many actually thought that the only reason behind TDK's numbers was Ledger's passing, given all the endless talk about how TDK was "lightning in a bottle", I don't really think that a 1,2 billion prediction can actually be called realistic. TDKR outgrossed TDK wich is already against most of the predictions.

As for SM2, roughly accounting for inflation, at fixed changed rates, the movie grossed higher than SM3 actually.

I was of the belief that it would be a case of too-many-cooks and the movie will be disastor
I was proved wrong

Always thought the movie would be at the very least enjoyable given Marvel Studios' track record but I never thought that the movie would be as broadly appealing as it ended up being.

Last edited:
Aloha,
How the Marvel movies stack up to ASM Domestic Take.
1 Marvel's The Avengers $623,009,272
2 Spider-Man $403,706,375
3 Spider-Man 2 $373,585,825
4 Spider-Man 3 $336,530,303
5 Iron Man $318,412,101
6 Iron Man 2 $312,433,331
7 The Amazing Spider-Man $261,471,268

So even in the world of Marvel movies with the exception of Spidey himself,Iron Man and of course the Avengers, ASM outperformed ALL OTHER MARVEL MOVIES EVER MADE-domestically:yay: according to Box office Mojo.
So I'll be saying Aloha to this thread as it is rather pointless for me to continue. Please all you movie buffs, stop by the Spider-Man comic book thread and check out the original world of the Wall crawler. Looking forward to the next Spidey movie and giving it all my energy to regain it's record for leading the box office super hero movies.
Spidey rules:spidey:

thats not saying much...

Of course it did, this is a freaking Spider-Man movie, and even with all the negativity towards this reboot, Spidey is still arguably the most popular superhero ever

I think that TASM achieved it's goal of succesfully rebooting the franchise, it was not expected to top Avengers or TDKR by anyone, still it managed to earn more than all Marvel Studios movies worldwide (except Avengers ) is quite an achievement.

I think that TASM achieved it's goal of succesfully rebooting the franchise, it was not expected to top Avengers or TDKR by anyone, still it managed to earn more than all Marvel Studios movies worldwide (except Avengers ) is quite an achievement.

Agreed. It was always going to 'underperform'. But it did solid numbers, and like Batman Begins, it sets the foundations for a better-performing sequel.

It made less than Iron Man and Iron Man 2, and honestly Hulk, Thor, and Cap weren't spectacular. It didn't perform poorly by any means, but it's not a massive achievement to make more than the other films.

Spider-Man, Superman, and Batman are pretty neck and neck.

As much as I like Batman, I would have to say the order is...Superman, Spider-Man, Batman.

The last two Batman films says otherwise, but if we're talking about all around the popularity of a hero and how much they are well known...I think my ranking works.

Spider-Man, Superman, and Batman are pretty neck and neck.

Spider-Man and Batman are neck and neck, Superman is lower. Spider-Man has had 4 very modern & popular movies and 2 popular animated series, Batman has had the 80's/early 90's series, a hit animated series and the very popular Nolan trilogy, but Superman only has the Richard Donner movie series which had only 2 popular movies and that one animated series that wasn't too popular (

As much as I like Batman, I would have to say the order is...Superman, Spider-Man, Batman.

The last two Batman films says otherwise, but if we're talking about all around the popularity of a hero and how much they are well known...I think my ranking works.

yeah that would be about it

but movie product-wise it would definitely be Batman, Spider-Man, Superman

Movies

A-level:

1) Avengers
2) Batman
3) Spider-man

B-level:

1) Iron Man
2) Superman
3) Thor
4) X-men
5) Captain America

C-level:

1) Fantastic Four
2) Incredible Hulk
3) Green Lantern
4) Ghost Rider
5) Daredevil

D-level:

1) Blade
2) Punisher

Bottom of the Barrel:

Female superheroes

Should you even be trying to make a point when you only showed up here in May?
I only made my account in May
I used to read posts way before that

All three films were talked everywhere on the forums way more than any other CBM this year such as Ghost Rider 2 or Dredd.
Yeah but comparing the 3 of them
TDKR=TA >> TASM

It's crystal clear that all three CBMs had great hype...it's only when the films were released that TA and TDKR were given more attention and money.
No it was always like that,TDKR and TA always had major hype and it was expected since they had multiple successful movies before them unlike TASM

We are talking about the hype and anticipation here man. All three films were even AT FIRST. Even if the money predictions were going to be different from the beginning, each film had enough hype to think one film wasn't going to be better than the other despise the box office numbers.
No one ever predicted TASM would do better or even do equal to TDKR or TA,it was out of the question from the very beginning
Even if the movie had been like Iron Man quality good,it would have earned about 900M imo,still about 200M behind TDKR

And no, TDKR outdid itself when it was expected to do even less at first because of the shooting.
It didnt
It was supposed to earn at the very least more than TDK which it didnt(after accounting for inflation)

You couldn't tell before. Just because you keep saying you weren't thinking TAS-M would be a favorite, it doesn't count with everyone else that I've read that kept saying TAS-M would be so amazing before the actual release.
I am not saying that it didnt have any chance to be good quality movie,it had all the chance in the world to be a better critical success
I was talking money wise,and money wise it didnt have any chance whatsoever of beating or equalling TDKR and TA

Why do I need to show when I was a part of the damn discussion and you weren't?
You are free to show me

It began at the same post you quoted.
When I quote a post I do that after reading the post and the topic of discussion before it
Alright drop it

By saying it underperformed when it had the same budget as TDKR(counting the tax credits)? Oh, how our undies are in a twist indeed! It's Spider-Man and TAS-M underperformed.
It doesnt matter that TDKR was the 3rd movie of a successful series and TASM was the first?
Seriously why dont you think logically
And as I said before,even TDKR underperform

A LARGE percentage walks into a theatre caring about any story or development. They're just not ignorant fools that sit down to watch action.
The amount of money the Bayformers earn says otherwise

So the general audience didn't care about a mediocre film....that's cool.
Just like they didnt do for another movie in 2005

The Avengers destroyed a film that didn't rely on 3D and had a tragedy happen on the midnight showing. Oh yes, TA destroyed TDKR indeed.
The 3D point was a financial blunder by WB so they dont have the right to talk about it
And we have already taken the budget into account,why do you keep talking the 3D in account? Thats all there is Money spent and Money earned,that the factor we take into account
It doesnt matter from where the money is made or where the budget is spent.Marvel chose to invest the money in 3D filming and WB did it on the massive star cast,its clear which payed off better
As for the Tragedy,how much did it affect the sales? 20M,,50M at the most,still TDKR is some 450M behind TA

Not investing in a gimmick is stupid? I wouldn't say that.
So why do you keep bringing it up as an excuse?

Then if we're talking about money...TAS-M greatly underperformed having as much money than TDKR when counting tax credits.
And TDKR really bombed falling 450M behind TA despite exceeding it budget by 10M

If someone wants to say that Avengers did a great job outdoing TDKR when it had a lesser budget, then one can easily say TAS-M did in fact underperform when it had as much of a budget as TDKR has.
Because its not a fair comparison
It would be fair to compare TASM to movies like BB,IM,TIH,Thor,CapAm etc

Spider-Man and Batman are neck and neck, Superman is lower. Spider-Man has had 4 very modern & popular movies and 2 popular animated series, Batman has had the 80's/early 90's series, a hit animated series and the very popular Nolan trilogy, but Superman only has the Richard Donner movie series which had only 2 popular movies and that one animated series that wasn't too popular (

Exactly. Don't forget the 1960's Batman TV series which is a cult icon, too.

Superman is very common in pop culture though. You can find superman references in tons of songs, speeches, lines in films, he's the iconic superhero. Batman and Spider-Man have had more popular TV shows, toy lines, video games, and movies, anyone can point out a picture of Superman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"