The Avengers: News and Speculation - Part 27A sub-se - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 53

Discussion in 'Marvel's The Avengers' started by Thread Manager, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]379989[/split]

2. Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]379715[/split]

3. Whiskey Tango Registered

God help me I could have signed up at letspumpweights.com and met fewer bodybuilding experts than right here at the Hype.

Never change, internet. Never change.

4. Poni_Boy Registered

Ahhh can't edit comments on a closed thread I gather?

Here's Evans with Hemsworth (who is 6'3). How anything claims Evans is 6'2 is beyond me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Xeno That's America's ass!

Hey, I'm no expert, I just know what I saw. :cwink:

The whole debate reminds me of Roger Ebert's review of CA:TFA. Ebert said that he thought that Chris Evans' post-serum physique was all CGI created until he was told otherwise. Seems he has quite a lot of company in that regard.

6. flickchick85 Admin of Might

From Poni Boy:

The picture you posted WAS from Equilibrium. I know, I'm a Balehead, and was using that exact photo as a "fancast" for Bruce Wayne long before he was actually cast in BB. That's the only thing I was referencing from when you gave the weight of him in that photo. If you were talking about BB, then apologies. I had no interest in jumping into the existing (or over) debate, I was merely making the observation that Evans in CA:TFA (not the post-credits scene, which was shot much later when he was slimmer ala Avengers) did look to me to be the same size as Bale in that picture you posted from Equilibrium, contrary to what you suggested. Bale in BB, however, I completely agree looked much heavier.

Also, one of the links I posted had a direct quote from Bale saying he was 6'. The links you posted were articles ABOUT Bale that reported his height as 6'2", but I didn't see an actual quote from Bale stating as much. Sorry if I missed it.

And who claimed Evans was 6'2"?

#6 flickchick85, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  7. Poni_Boy Registered

Oh he absolutely looked great. It took a lot of work on his behalf, though. This convo started by my comment that he isn't as heavy in The Avengers as he is in CA, which leads me to believe that's why he doesn't look as muscular in the already slimmed down modernized suit (that also lacks shoulder pads).

8. flickchick85 Admin of Might

See, as I edited my comment in the old thread to mention (apparently too late), I didn't see the beginning of the convo, so I had no idea where the discussion started or what your original point was. That he was heavier in CA than Avengers? I completely agree.

9. Poni_Boy Registered

Yep, that was the convo. I'll break it down since the old thread is closed:

- I explained about when meeting Evans on two separate occasions, first after filming Captain America and second during filming of Avengers, that I was surprised how normal sized he was IRL (not huge, or overtly muscled).

- The second time I met him (last October) he was even skinner than during his Cap days and I noted that, while I'm 5'10 and 185 lbs, he looked to be 10 - 15 lbs lighter than me; once you factor in that he's 6 ft tall the aspect ratio would put him at my weight of 185 lbs during filming of Avengers.

- This is what led me to believe that his new, modernized suit (which I rubbed my grubby hands all over after SDCC last year and is built BEAUTIFULLY from the inside out) would have looked better on him had he been at his Cap weight or even heavier. He looks too slim now and when you add the bulky helmet he looks slimmer.

- That turned into someone not believing that actors and actresses look heavier on film than they do IRL, which I had to explain with my limited knowledge of cinematography.

That was the conversation before random people jumped in saying random stuff like "Chris Evans was 230 lbs when he filmed CA" etc. Because I am who I am and I like to source my statements I derailed my train of thought to clarify mistaken statements.

Now the circle is complete. And I need a beer.

#9 Poni_Boy, Mar 25, 2012
  10. Smashlilman Ouch!!!!

Damn you Thread manager
    [​IMG]

11. HUMANIMAL ...

whats with all this comparisons...no news or rumours to debate about the avengers i guess.....

12. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

Another one? That goes fast nowadays

13. catgirl18 Registered

14. Son of Coul Not 100% A Dick

Yeah, until it comes to discussing Thor and Captain America's physiques I always forget that everyone on the Hype looks like this-[​IMG]

Also, Feige has said that Evans worked out extra hard for the day they shot Cap coming out of the Vita-Ray chamber, it doesn't mean he maintained it for the whole movie or that the scene was exclusively done through movie magic. But to deny he was totally ripped for that chase scene would be absurd. If he maintained that for Avengers, it'd be perfect but I don't mind the slight decrease in muscle mass and tone. And it is fairly slight (seems mostly in the arms than anything), I'm not gonna act like he couldn't beat the **** out of me.

#14 Son of Coul, Mar 25, 2012
  15. itchyscratch Registered

From a Chris Hemsworth interview in SciFiNow magazine ....

"In The Avengers I removed my cape for some of the scenes, and that was more Thor's casual number. Captain America had his sleeves rolled up. Just something that broke the formality of it all, and I think it works for that reason because of those slight adjustments. Everyone was scared of that, of how it was going to look, but then among the action scenes where everything is so hot and full on, it's like now you want the colours; now you want everyone to be in their full glory. And then the stuff just kind of launches off the screen. It's wicked."

16. BigThor God of Thunder

Good God I'm drunk, I actually thought I was Thor a few minutes ago.

17. Xeno That's America's ass!

And you will always be able to look back at this post and remember that one time you thought you were Thor. :yay:

18. itchyscratch Registered

Uh oh. Hast thou been on the mead?

19. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I would like to see how Evans would look in the suit with his FA physique.

20. Shadowlord X Registered

Wow, are we really going through these parts at the rate of 1 a week?!?

21. Crimson King Superhero Novelista

When you have a lot of expert opinions on people's physique, the thread flies fast.

22. Suzanne78 Abs Without Fear

There are times when the Hype kills any desire to want to talk about Evans' body. If you knew me, you'd realize this was a tragedy of epic proportions.

I'll just say I agree to disagree with those who say he doesn't look like Cap in the Avengers costume. I maintain that it's a matter of opinion.

Oh, and thanks to those posters for their congratulations for my baby's birth on the previous thread! :woot:

23. captainrogers Diluted SuperSoldier

Heh, I'll add one more.
    Congrats!!!!
    First kid?
    And I WISH I my physique looked half as good as Evans in The Avengers, let alone CA:TFA.

24. Shadowlord X Registered

lol.

25. Poni_Boy Registered

So.... we're not allowed to compare Evans' physique from Captain America to Avengers? Is that another taboo topic on these boards like Tom Hardy's height and The Amazing Spider-Man suit?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.