The 'Back To The Future' Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a question for those of you old enough to remember but did anyone here back in 1985 or 1989 I guess actually think we might be seeing flying cars by today? or even back then did it seem outlandish?

Yeah, Zemeckis and Gale knew the 2015 things were improbable and decided they would just have a lot of fun with it and go all out. The ridiculousness of it gives it its charm.

Yeah, it was actually pretty clever of them to go as far out as possible with their Jetson's-esque future. It gives their 2015 a timeless charm that will always feel futuristic, no matter how old the films become.

Can you imagine how boring and dull it would have been if Marty and Doc actually traveled to the real (our present day) 2015? :funny:

i read that if the Cubs make the World Series, Christopher Lloyd said he would like to throw out the first pitch in one of the games

hope it happens! :up:

Yeah, Zemeckis and Gale knew the 2015 things were improbable and decided they would just have a lot of fun with it and go all out. The ridiculousness of it gives it its charm.

Even past 2015, the film will be fine. It's like how 2001: A Space Oddesey is fine.

After " blade runner" and "robocop" zemeckis and crew basically wanted an optimistic 2015

Just a question for those of you old enough to remember but did anyone here back in 1985 or 1989 I guess actually think we might be seeing flying cars by today? or even back then did it seem outlandish?

As far as I can remember (born 81) not really for the general public. I rembember going to the library and reading books about the near future.
It showed houses with their own energy systems (came true with solar!)
Hover/flying cars or some sort of helicopter cars.

I don't remember anything elso though...

Yeah, it was actually pretty clever of them to go as far out as possible with their Jetson's-esque future. It gives their 2015 a timeless charm that will always feel futuristic, no matter how old the films become.

Can you imagine how boring and dull it would have been if Marty and Doc actually traveled to the real (our present day) 2015? :funny:

"Kid! Kid! Hey kid look out! I need to borrow your... Segway?"

DAH DADADADADA DAAHHH DADA DAAAAAAHHH!

Funny how they predicted stuff like hoverboards and hydrated foods but they didn't predict the internet or cell phones...

As far as the flying cars go, I don't recall that anybody seriously thought it was going to happen.

1950s/60s - lot of sci-fi stories and magazines like Popular mechanics predicting flying cars, some nuclear-powered by 2000s. I knew from as far back 1970s that flying car is almost aerodynamically impossible and the closest you can get is a hybrid-helicopter/rotor type craft and most of the experimental ones only flew a few feet off ground for a few minutes.

In 1980s, we all knew that flying car & hoverboard will be impossible in 2015. But we all love the BTTF series.:yay:

CollegeHumor has a new BTTF cartoon skit on their youtube channel. Not going to link it here, but it's ok. It's just about Doc and Marty coming to the real/current 2015.

I was 11 in 1985, and I remember thinking any year past 2000 sounded like everything would look like the Jetsons by then. By 1989, I knew it probably wouldn't.

I saw BTTF on opening weekend, and the car taking off at the end just got this huge laugh and a ton of applause, because it was just so funny. I don't think anyone expected it.

The weird part now is that when we first saw it, our parents were loving all of the 50s stuff because that's when they were kids. Now it's 30 years later, and we're loving all of the 80s stuff because that's when we were kids. We've totally turned into our parents. :oldrazz:

I saw Back to the Future in concert at Radio City Music Hall last night. It was awesome! We got to see the movie with a live orchestra playing the score, which was pretty amazing.

Plus they added some added music in a few scenes that don't have music: they played a little of the BTTFIII music when Lorraine was telling the story about how she and George met, they played some of main music over the sequence with the clocks at the beginning, and they played the music from the parking lot scene when Doc is doing the test run with the toy car. And they replaced "Back in Time" with the orchestra performing music from all three movies.

And we also got to see Bob Gale, James Tolkan, Alan Silvestri, and Christopher Lloyd (!!!!) before the show - they came out on stage and introduced the movie. At the end, Alan Silverstri came back out and shook hands with the conductor.

It was great! If you get a chance to see it, definitely go.

IMO, this franchise is the only time I've ever liked Huey Lewis and the News.

IMO, this franchise is the only time I've ever liked Huey Lewis and the News.

americanpsycho.jpg

If you guys didn't know, there's a BTTF doc on The History Channel tomorrow night at 10pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"