The Flash The Barry Allen/The Flash Thread - Part 4

The Quicksilver suit looks a little bit like The Flash suit

Sigh... As a lifelong DC fan, it pains me to acknowledge how much Marvel Films is getting things right. Dammit! Snyder, Goyer and Co. better make BvS exceptional! :csad:

Didn't see any silver on his hair or costume so I was a little disappointed with that....but it is only concept art so I guess that could change.

Well I can honestly say that as of right now since that special, I'm looking forward to Avengers 2 more than I am Ben Affleck VS Superman, and I say that as a bigger DC guy. I hope they watched the Marvel special tonight. ;) lol.

Sacrilege! Heresy!:yay:

While I don't have as much confidence in Snyder, Goyer and Co. But with the inclusion of Terrio and Affleck on board, I'm still pulling for them to bring it! I mean 2 years to produce a single movie! I have to believe they have something great to show for it!

Either that or they will break my will and spirit for all things DC!:csad:

Last edited:
Maybe more fun, but not the better one, Barry started the communication with Earth 2, the event affected stories for DC for a while, and did more significant things as Flash than Wally did
Wally might be the more fun one, but he grew to be quite like Barry

Not only that, but Barry has been involved in most of the biggest events in DC history.

1) He ushered in the Silver Age and brought on a revival of superhero popularity.
2) He ushered the Bronze Age out with Crisis on Infinite Earths that changed the DCU forever.
3) Discovered and established first contact with the multiverse and the space-time continuum.
4) Saved the Earth from Darkseid (alongside Wally, but drew "aggro" from the black racer) in Final Crisis - another DCU changing event.
5) Contrary to popular belief, he salvaged reality as we know it in Flashpoint. Sure, he caused the events but he didn't do it intentionally... He's hardly the first superhero to make a mistake when using their abilities. At least he fought to restore reality to its normal state (even if he didn't succeed 100% and created the New 52 universe instead).

Aside from that, Barry has the more interesting life outside of the tights. Wally is a mechanic - not a scientist as the DCAU suggested. Barry is the CSI and has a lot of detective skills to back up his hero work. He had a reporter girlfriend in Iris long before Wally had Linda. He also established the first relationship with the Rogues that was handed down to Wally (thought Wally did get some of his own enemies). Most of Barry's versions were more interesting than Wally's (Sam Scudder > Evan and Digger > Owen in my opinion. Thawne may not be as strong as Zolomon, but he has a much more interesting backstory and motive than Zolomon's attempts to "make Wally better by screwing with him".)

All in all, it will either depend on who you grew up reading or who your own personality matches up to. I'm definitely more introverted than extroverted and Barry is the classic introvert while Wally is the extrovert. Barry spends a lot of time contemplating the things around him and his performance as a hero while maintaining a small and tight-knit group of friends. Wally thinks about things more shallowly and has a large spectrum of friends with a more colorful personality. Some people like that about him.

So, who is "better" is 100% subjective. It's better to say "I prefer Barry" or "I prefer Wally".

Ok, I'm done ranting for the day XD

Aside from that, Barry has the more interesting life outside of the tights. Wally is a mechanic - not a scientist as the DCAU suggested. Barry is the CSI and has a lot of detective skills to back up his hero work. He had a reporter girlfriend in Iris long before Wally had Linda. He also established the first relationship with the Rogues that was handed down to Wally (thought Wally did get some of his own enemies). Most of Barry's versions were more interesting than Wally's (Sam Scudder > Evan and Digger > Owen in my opinion. Thawne may not be as strong as Zolomon, but he has a much more interesting backstory and motive than Zolomon's attempts to "make Wally better by screwing with him".)
They rubbed a bit of Barry on Wally in the DCAU, it's why I asked if they will give Barry some of Wally's traits here
Wally didn't become a mechanic before issue 201

And I agree with your post

Sigh... As a lifelong DC fan, it pains me to acknowledge how much Marvel Films is getting things right. Dammit! Snyder, Goyer and Co. better make BvS exceptional! :csad:

I wouldn't be surprised if the film just blows people's minds. However, I'm not holding my breath because the film just might blow lol.

Also, as far ass the Flash's suit goes I would like to see a flash suit made in the style of the Quicksilver concept art. Think I'm going to try and do a flash suit with the Hunger Games or Ender's Game look. I kinda like the panel pieces and for the suit to be broken up at the joints with the joints being black, darker red or something.

Not only that, but Barry has been involved in most of the biggest events in DC history.

1) He ushered in the Silver Age and brought on a revival of superhero popularity.
2) He ushered the Bronze Age out with Crisis on Infinite Earths that changed the DCU forever.
3) Discovered and established first contact with the multiverse and the space-time continuum.
4) Saved the Earth from Darkseid (alongside Wally, but drew "aggro" from the black racer) in Final Crisis - another DCU changing event.
5) Contrary to popular belief, he salvaged reality as we know it in Flashpoint. Sure, he caused the events but he didn't do it intentionally... He's hardly the first superhero to make a mistake when using their abilities. At least he fought to restore reality to its normal state (even if he didn't succeed 100% and created the New 52 universe instead).

All in all, it will either depend on who you grew up reading or who your own personality matches up to. I'm definitely more introverted than extroverted and Barry is the classic introvert while Wally is the extrovert. Barry spends a lot of time contemplating the things around him and his performance as a hero while maintaining a small and tight-knit group of friends. Wally thinks about things more shallowly and has a large spectrum of friends with a more colorful personality. Some people like that about him.

So, who is "better" is 100% subjective. It's better to say "I prefer Barry" or "I prefer Wally".

Ok, I'm done ranting for the day XD

Good post:up:

Barry Allen is also the only DC character to "officially" appear in a Marvel comic:

A story in the Marvel comic book series Quasar, written four years after Crisis on Infinite Earths, has the Marvel Universe speedsters facing off in a competition set up by a being called the Runner. The contest is a race from the Earth to the Moon. During the race, a surge of energy hits the track, leaving a being with blonde hair and dressed in the remains of a red outfit with yellow boots. This being has no memory, but an enormous desire to run. He goes on to win the race, passing Marvel speedsters such as Quicksilver and Speed Demon in the process. When asked what his name is, the man replies, "I'm not sure. "Buried Alien"... Something like that." When asked how it felt to be the fastest man alive, he replied, "It feels... right." The racer goes on to take the name Fast-Forward, disappearing into the universe in an attempt to help Makkari, who is stuck at hyper speed.

quasar1.gif

quasar17-1.jpg

img186.jpg

quasar5.gif

img188.jpg

If the two companies are ever "merged" or "crossed over" for real, THIS is the story that should be referenced, as Barry Allen has always been the one in comics to discover different realities/universes/dimensions, time travel, the multiverse/52 earths, etc, even accidentally (like his discovery of Earth 2 at first).

Thawne is also much more powerful than Zolomon (and eviler, IMO). He's got his own Speed Force and can change time/realities.

Anyway wonder when they'll release the first "trailer" for the show...

Barry Allen is also the only DC character to "officially" appear in a Marvel comic:

A story in the Marvel comic book series Quasar, written four years after Crisis on Infinite Earths, has the Marvel Universe speedsters facing off in a competition set up by a being called the Runner. The contest is a race from the Earth to the Moon. During the race, a surge of energy hits the track, leaving a being with blonde hair and dressed in the remains of a red outfit with yellow boots. This being has no memory, but an enormous desire to run. He goes on to win the race, passing Marvel speedsters such as Quicksilver and Speed Demon in the process. When asked what his name is, the man replies, "I'm not sure. "Buried Alien"... Something like that." When asked how it felt to be the fastest man alive, he replied, "It feels... right." The racer goes on to take the name Fast-Forward, disappearing into the universe in an attempt to help Makkari, who is stuck at hyper speed.

quasar1.gif

quasar17-1.jpg

img186.jpg

quasar5.gif

img188.jpg

If the two companies are ever "merged" or "crossed over" for real, THIS is the story that should be referenced, as Barry Allen has always been the one in comics to discover different realities/universes/dimensions, time travel, the multiverse/52 earths, etc, even accidentally (like his discovery of Earth 2 at first).
:D
I want to read this story, looks incredibly fun

Speaking of Marvel DC crossovers, in the JLA/Avengers story Barry and Hawkeye made a great team, I'd love to read a crossover teaming the two together

Yeah, crossovers are always fun. What's the name of that issue?

Anyway wonder when they'll release the first "trailer" for the show...

The season finale of Arrow would be my guess. Possibly it could be sooner, perhaps mini spots before a full tv style trailer. Drip drip drip...BAM!!! We've been spoiled for Flash news and pictures of late, but like most around here I want see something more substantial like a short clip of GG in costume with all the speed force CGi in place. Networks generally have upfront meetings announcing their fall schedules in May I believe, so maybe something will surface there.
I wonder if they'll screen the pilot at CC? Probably not as July is a little to early, but I suppose the pilot could air before the fall season so that CW can see what the ratings are and whether to commit to a more than one episode.

Last edited:
It hasn't even been officially been picked up to series yet. Probably will have to wait for CW upfronts with all their other shows.

Last edited:
I wonder if they'll screen the pilot at CC? Probably not as July is a little to early, but I suppose the pilot could air before the fall season so that CW can see what the ratings are and whether to commit to a more than one episode.

If it picks up to series, I'm sure it'll screen at CC.

If the CBS/WB/CW bigwigs like the pilot enough, it might get at least a 13 episode commitment prior to the pilot even being shown. Hopefully that is the case .

If it gets picked up, it will get 12/13 episodes regardless unless ratings are so bad for the show they cut it short.

It hasn't even been officially been picked up to series yet. Probably will have to wait for CW upfronts with all their other shows.

We get the Upfront's live on the feed at work. I hope they show more than just a clip. I've been at affiliates meetings where they screen the entire pilot for upcoming shows, so it's possible at one of the Upfront's they'll screen the entire Flash pilot. I should be so lucky lol!

When did the pilot to
arrow air? October? I hope we don't have wait that long!

These are the sweeps dates coming up. May 14th is the season finale for Arrow, so if CW wants to boost their rating for that period Wednesday the 21st in Arrow's slot might be the way to go. If not, sometime in July is the next opportunity. Remember the better the Flash does the more they can charge for advertising during that show.
MAY 2014 April 24 - May 21, 2014
JULY 2014 July 3, - July 30, 2014
May and November normally are the most important sweeps periods so who knows perhaps we'll get the Flash in May. I'm not holding my breath though. If it was me I'd milk it for all it's worth. Two hour pilot shown over two weeks, and the second week screen both episodes.

I have a question but it's really not Barry/The Flash specific but something about speedsters in general. Ok, so I know that while in speed mode their perspective shows things as appearing either moving slowly or standstill, but my question is do they ever see things normally while in speed mode? Like, do they ever see things in real time as they speed past? I'm asking because I'm wondering how they would hear a cry for help or someone saying hello in speed mode, especially if their perspective of things is always slowed down or standstill?

I have a question but it's really not Barry/The Flash specific but something about speedsters in general. Ok, so I know that while in speed mode their perspective shows things as appearing either moving slowly or standstill, but my question is do they ever see things normally while in speed mode? Like, do they ever see things in real time as they speed past? I'm asking because I'm wondering how they would hear a cry for help or someone saying hello in speed mode, especially if their perspective of things is always slowed down or standstill?

Slow time perception is actually a real thing:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3384265/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3950412/

It happens when your body senses danger. Your brain goes into overdrive and everything is processed at a much faster rate. You also think faster. Both of these give you the perception that everything is moving slower.

This can also happen when you drive at a very fast rate. The fastest I've ever driven (check my username) was about 170mph (don't ask). When I slowed back down to freeway speeds (70mph), it felt like I was crawling along at about 25mph.

I watch a famous British motoring show called Top Gear. In the one episode where one of the presenters broke what was at the time the record for fastest production car, the presenter exceeded 255mph. He mentioned when he slowed down to about 120-150mph afterwards (IIRC), he felt that he was going so slow that he could have walked out of the car even at those speeds.

As for the hearing thing, I don't know that a speedster would be able to, since "speed of sound" and all (unless of course, they're going slower than the speed of sound at the time). However, they can perceive a million things all at once, so they can probably figure out that someone needs help before the person even knows he/she needs it. Then again, versions of The Flash have had esoteric comic book tech that combats these shortcomings, I believe.

Slow time perception is actually a real thing:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3384265/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3950412/

It happens when your body senses danger. Your brain goes into overdrive and everything is processed at a much faster rate. You also think faster. Both of these give you the perception that everything is moving slower.

This can also happen when you drive at a very fast rate. The fastest I've ever driven (check my username) was about 170mph (don't ask). When I slowed back down to freeway speeds (70mph), it felt like I was crawling along at about 25mph.

I watch a famous British motoring show called Top Gear. In the one episode where one of the presenters broke what was at the time the record for fastest production car, the presenter exceeded 255mph. He mentioned when he slowed down to about 120-150mph afterwards (IIRC), he felt that he was going so slow that he could have walked out of the car even at those speeds.

As for the hearing thing, I don't know that a speedster would be able to, since "speed of sound" and all (unless of course, they're going slower than the speed of sound at the time). However, they can perceive a million things all at once, so they can probably figure out that someone needs help before the person even knows he/she needs it. Then again, versions of The Flash have had esoteric comic book tech that combats these shortcomings, I believe.

The reason why I ask this is because I was watching JLU: Flash and Substance yesterday, and in it while Flash was speeding down a highway he was engaging people in conversations while in speed mode. He was chatting with this old lady in a car while running alongside the car, ran in place while talking to these fisherman, and heard a little kid scream for help while speeding past.

That's why I asked how he was able to hold conversations if his and other speedsters perspectives is always in slow motion/standstill? I came up with that maybe he was travelling at low speeds, so he wasn't moving faster than everyone else so they didn't appear to be moving in slow motion? And thus that was how he was able to char with them while using super speed?

The reason why I ask this is because I was watching JLU: Flash and Substance yesterday, and in it while Flash was speeding down a highway he was engaging people in conversations while in speed mode. He was chatting with this old lady in a car while running alongside the car, ran in place while talking to these fisherman, and heard a little kid scream for help while speeding past.

That's why I asked how he was able to hold conversations if his and other speedsters perspectives is always in slow motion/standstill? I came up with that maybe he was travelling at low speeds, so he wasn't moving faster than everyone else so they didn't appear to be moving in slow motion? And thus that was how he was able to char with them while using super speed?

If he was going "only" as fast as a normal car moving in normal traffic, then there's no reason for any sound in his vicinity loud enough to not reach him.

If he was going "only" as fast as a normal car moving in normal traffic, then there's no reason for any sound in his vicinity loud enough to not reach him.

Still though, how would that work if he always sees things as slowed down while in speed mode? So would he perceive things normally? Like for example, this show released that one clip awhile back remember? Of Barry in the alley outside the police station and his hand was moving fast, then he super speeds and breaks a car window, then super speeds down the alley. While he's super speeding down the alley they show his perspective for a bit, and he's perceiving things normally and we see that he can see things clearly ahead while the sides of his vision is blurry.

That's all I'm asking, if speedsters can perceive things normally instead of always going into slow mo when going into speed mode?

Grant Gustin nailed the role of Barry Allen in the pilot, He's smart, he's witty and has good presence on screen with the cast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"