The Batsuit Thread

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by Thread Manager, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travesty

Travesty Well-Known Member

Agreed, I'm not a fan of the excessive armor look.

2. Rorschach2012

Rorschach2012 I'll Cancel the Pizzas

[​IMG]

This is the perfect Batman costume, and his build is perfect here, the other pictures he looks too big.

3. The Shape

The Shape In the shadows

Agreed. I love it. If those stupid bolts were removed from all over the suit (they're even on the legs), it'd be near perfect for me. Looks like the Batman from the comics, while still having a sense of realism in that Batman looks protected. He's obviously wearing armor, but it's not "too much".

I'll still stay that this suit is reminiscent of TDK suit. Segmented armor on the torso and legs, mesh areas of vulnerability, and the neck design is a little similar. The TDK suit is just much busier looking in the torso area for sure.

4. shauner111

shauner111 Well-Known Member

perfect.

5. TX85

TX85 Well-Known Member

I've always preferred Batman with long ears But it's perfect here with not so big nor too small ears,The whole cowl&cape is perfect IMO!!

I also really dig the six'o clock shadow beard!

6. Harrier

Harrier Well-Known Member

Spot on.

7. Llama_Shepherd

Llama_Shepherd Well-Known Member

The Arkham Origins is the Dark Knight suit done correctly, in my eyes.

8. Marx

Marx Pixelated

Exactly llama.

9. DaRkVeNgeanCe

DaRkVeNgeanCe An Epic Film Guy

I love how the origins suit looks except they still could of simplified the neck area, they always overly complicate the look of the neck on all of these suits.

10. Harrier

Harrier Well-Known Member

Here's a question for everyone. When considering what you like/don't like about a batsuit design, how much of it is concern for practical matters (i.e "the batsuit needs to allow Batman to move well) vs. sartorial/aesthetic preferences?

11. Mako

Mako Galactic Crusier

Both, though most of the designs posted here are really just reference. Most of the designs are fairly similar in terms of what some of us want, just various interpretations. To be honest I hope whoever is the costume designer and FX house for the next film is open minded enough to think outside of the box when it comes to the actual construction of the suit.

12. Marx

Marx Pixelated

I definitely think the suit should allow Batman to move well but I'm over this "everything has to make sense in the real world" approach.

13. Two-Face

Two-Face Harvey Dent

Agreed Marx. I keep thinking your name as Max, not much a difference between two.

Anyway I do like Arkham Origins Batsuit a lot. I can't wait to look at it during the game.

14. Marx

Marx Pixelated

:oldrazz:

The Origins suit is pretty cool. :up:

15. antsman41

antsman41 Belongs To Prince

Why can't they make a batcowl like the spidey mask?

I want to see Bruce pull the mask over his face like in BTAS so bad in live action.

16. Two-Face

Two-Face Harvey Dent

What about a 'Alex Ross Batman' Batsuit

[​IMG]

17. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

I suppose Spiderman's mask has always been represented as merely lycra stretched over his head. It doesn't have an innate structure. Batman's is sculpted to some extent, and it tends to look very wrong if the correct placement of the ears, brow and nasal is disturbed.

Something like rubber or sculpted leather is probably inevitable in the cowl. That doesn't mean it has to be used throughout the suit, however.

18. spidergeek232

spidergeek232 I'm Not A Loser

The Alex Ross design is better for an older Batman. The emblem is too big, IMO.

19. spidergeek232

spidergeek232 I'm Not A Loser

The Arkham Origins suit would definitely work well on screen because you can see that it regular cotton (I'm guessing?) with pads on top, allowing him to move faster.

The only thing I would change is the gauntlets and boots. Make them less bulky. And make the ears a bit longer.

20. Obi

Obi Member

That would be cool, like in arkham city when he suits up the first time

21. NosfeRomas

NosfeRomas Well-Known Member

I don't get why people like Alex Ross's superheroes so much, especially his DC stuff are just BAD, not from an artistic point of vew, the man obviously has an immense talent and i love Kingdom Come but all his other stuff is basically a better tailored spandex with wrinkles and ****. WTF is this !! this is not badass this too golden age and to lame for today. Like Frank Miller said "I don't need to see sweat patches under Superman's arms" and I don't want to see wrinkles either !!

22. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

I don't mind Ross' designs, but I am in the minority in thinking that they don't work that well for comics. The 'foreground' characters look good, but the medium he uses is too light to render figures in the background satisfactorily, which makes detailed compositions outside of splash pages look messy. The best comicbook artists, in my opinion, are those that can use pencil (and have skilled inkers to maximise the effect) in the most sensitive way. Neil Adams is still unsurpassed, though Jim Lee has some of that magic. He just needs to tone down the crazy anatomy somewhat.

23. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Well-Known Member

i just want them to overcome the "helmet" function of the cowl...

surely they can apply the same "segmented pieces" design of the dark knight outfit to the cowl itself.. the top of the head and ears can be a slightly rigid shell and then the sides and the nose bridge can be other segmented pieces.

by breaking the "cowl" into segemented pieces you allow it to collapse and avoid the too rigid appearance of the earlier movies..

as far as the "white eyes" look it can easily be explained that the cowl has hi-tech clear lenses over it that when activated in the dark allow different vision modes (thermal/night) and in doing so creates that ominous effect that people enjoy when bats is in the shadows (dark knight got close but the pace of the movie didnt allow for proper batman stalking)..

24. JDonaldD

JDonaldD Well-Known Member

Few thoughts:

The Alex Ross look has never been a favorite of mine. He's a great artist but his work is good example of why a direct translation of comic to film won't work for me. The look of his work is meant to instill a golden age nostalgia, which is fine but I think a more modern design for Batman is needed.

That being said I too would like to for them to get away from the rubber suits. I think a big part of that came from as another poster mentioned, trying to keep the cowl shape defined. If Batmans ears are just a little off centered, he's gonna look silly. I think Batman looks amazing at times in BB but the suit just looks like a rubber wetsuit, there's no reason he couldn't' have been wearing a heavy clothe armor and looked as intimidating. It's the scene with Lucius describing what the suit is that sells the audience on what the suit is and what it can take. There's no way anyone would see a still of that suit and think it's bullet proof. TDK on the other had might have corrected that a bit, it looks much more armored. But at the same time the suit is over designed which goes against the practical aesthetic the film has. It has unnecessary details and in the legs and illogical articulation points. The point is that Nolan simply liked that design and we're told it is bullet proof and gives Batman more mobility, so we believe it is bullet proof in the context of the film. The same would go for any other batsuit.

Also, I think white eyes might work for certain occasions like scaring criminals but for live action it's important to see the actors eyes. In the comics Batman's cowl and eye shape can change to show emotion, not so on film unless the director were to do something similar to Rorschach in Watchmen.

25. Young Superman

Young Superman The Last Son of Krypton

I'd like to see this in live action, mineus the trunks.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.