The Batsuit Thread

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by Thread Manager, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travesty

Travesty Well-Known Member

I think people want the armor of the AA suit, without using spandex-esque material.

2. Blitzkrieg Bop

Blitzkrieg Bop Fight Owens Fight

I believe that with the evidence from X-Men: First Class, a suit much more akin to the traditional suit from the comics is possible to pull off in live action and be completely emerged in verisimilitude. Adam West's costume is something I want to see in later installments, although, a little more...I don't know what. I don't think all black rubber is the only way to go for Batman. And I certainly don't think he should be coffined in gaudy armor. I think Keaton and Bale looked great in their suits, but when I picture Batman in my mind, the images of him that I think of first are like these:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. TX85

TX85 Well-Known Member

I love the comic spandex But on film I think they should always go armored,Armored versions of comic suits like the Arkham suits are perfect to me!

4. Travesty

I dunno, that Superman suit looks amazing.

5. Lead Cenobite

Lead Cenobite Exquisitely Empty

That's the point. It's the comic book suit with more detail to give it a more armored appearance. I agree that the boots and forearms could use quite a bit of size reduction, though.

6. Bruce Malone

Bruce Malone Well-Known Member

Yes but he's superman. The appearance of anything armor like would appear redundant on him. Even in the comics now they are making it evident batman's suit is a form of armor, with them often depicting the underlying armor material when the suit gets ripped. Frank Miller in the 80's arguably started that trend.

So people expect batman to not be a total maniac and going out there with no body protection. The advantage the comics have is that they are not bound by real world physical constraints so they can depict body armor that looks as flexible as spandex.

7. Travesty

Yes, and Batman is Batman.

First of all, Batman is a maniac. That's the whole point of the character. Second, he isn't depicted as having armor in every incarnation. I wouldn't say every person "expects" him to be all armored up with every live action version. Plus, it's time for a fresh start with Batman on film, and not having some sort of rubber armor would be a breath of fresh air.

Point being: Superman's suit looks great, and I'm sure they could do something similar with a new Batman. The proof is right there.

8. Harrier

Harrier Well-Known Member

For an armored look like film adaptations seem to use I like this look from Phil Cho, if for anything it lightens some areas of the armor so its not so deep black.

[​IMG]

9. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

It's foul.

It is the TDK suit in all its manifest ugliness, including even the nauseatingly misguided hip-segmentation that doesn't work. Far beyond being disappointing, it would be nonsensical to have the TDK suit again in a reboot, if not because it would connect back to the previous movies then because that suit looked dated and clumsy when we first saw it five years ago.

10. JDonaldD

JDonaldD Well-Known Member

The idea that Batman needs to look armored for him to work on film isn't really fair. Captain America didn't really look so armored in Avengers that his look had to deviate from the comic appearance. TDK Batsuit worked for those films because it fit the aesthetic of the world and it was a creative choice Nolan made most likely cause he simply doesn't like the comic suit. Same with Bane. Nolan didn't even want to use Scarecrow's mask for Christ's sake. That's all fine, I love TDK films but it's all about how well it's executed.

11. dru-zod2501

dru-zod2501 Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but I'm thinking that now it makes more sense to go armored from a practical and marketing standpoint. Say what you will about the improved functionality of TDK's armor for the actor, Batman's been more armored-looking across media for the last several years. If the films were to go back to something resembling the "Begins" suit and earlier versions, I think alot of people might feel like it's a bit of a step backwards. I might be crazy, or myopic, but we'll see

12. Marx

Marx Pixelated

This isn't bad. I'd tone down the forearms and the boots a little though.

13. TX85

TX85 Well-Known Member

Agreed!

14. Soundwave88

Soundwave88 As you command Megatron.

Double agree, for new movie look on Arkham Origins!

15. Harrier

Has anyone seen this before? The weird cowl aside, some of the components are pretty interesting.

[​IMG]

Link for a 3D turn around video.
    http://vimeo.com/44473988

At this point, if someone is making a new film, they will want their Batman to look unique so people know this is THEIR Batman film. That is part of why Nolan chose Batsuits that were different than the comics and different than the previous 4 films.

16. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

Come back TDK suit, all is forgiven.

17. Blitzkrieg Bop

Blitzkrieg Bop Fight Owens Fight

Ha

That looks like the artist took inspiration from Chewbacca.

18. Harrier

You guys are a tough crowd.

That last example, the point in sharing it, is looking at elements that are interesting ideas for a reasonable design of a Batsuit.

This one for instance sought to add some kind of Armor as well as show cloth-like materials. It also shows a practical nature of the Batsuit in that the Belt looks like it could actually hold stuff and looks like Batman is actually ready for combat.

The idea that a man can be so tactically smart, or smart in general and go out fighting crime in just tights is beyond suspension of disbelief. That's just my two cents though

19. Travesty

I guess the cape is ok?.....

20. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

I wouldn't mind seeing a Batman that tries to hark back to the comics somewhat, but I wouldn't want to see tights, underpants or a blue cowl.

21. Bad Superman

Bad Superman World's Grimmest Hero

I like that suit too. The only thing is that confuses me a bit is that this suit appears to be an upgrade from the previous two games when it's supposed to be a pre-quel.

Yeah Im a bit of a continuity freak. :oldrazz:

22. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

Without taking too much issue with those points (his head looks about as maneuverable as that of an Egyptian sarcophagus, so practicality is moot) its problem is that it is unbelievable ugly. It's pleasing for neither audiences nor marketeers if Batman is painful to look at.

But, I don't intend to seem rude or to be dismissive- it is interesting to see new approaches, so thank you for that.

"Just tights", huh? I don't think even Bob Kane believed that was what he was drawing, nor will you see anyone here arguing for that.

23. Soundwave88

Soundwave88 As you command Megatron.

That suit is waaaaay to busy, I can't see an actor be able to move around in that, Maybe remove all the stuff and change the cowl and it may work... Maybe.

I like to see something more closer to the comic's not Nolan or the other's from the past. New 52 look would work if they need an armor look.

24. The Shape

The Shape In the shadows

Funny that many are embracing the Arkham Origins suit when it is actually quite reminiscent of the TDK suit -- visibile mesh underlining, segmented armor with visible areas of 'vulnerability', neck design, segmented leg design, raised knuckles on the gloves, and what almost look like shoulder plates. Sure, the TDK suit is 'busier', especially in the torso area, but the concept is pretty similar overall. Take away the ridiculous oversized robotic boots and guantlets and I'd love the Origins suit even more.

25. Two-Face

Two-Face Harvey Dent

I'm sorry I don't like that suit above. I do like Origins a lot but AA & AC suits are my favourite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.